Children's Books discussion

Books for Specific Age-Groups > Need Help For a 9-Year-Old Girl

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alysa | 2 comments Hello everyone, You were recommended to my by Lisa, one of the moderators of the Comfort Reads Group, as a great bunch of knowledgeable and lovely readers who might be able to help me.
I need some book suggestions for a 9 year old girl, a good reader who recently loved Dealing with Dragons and the third Harry Potter (I only let her read one a year). Yesterday at the library she asked me for some books about magic and adventure and romance (bear in mind she's 9 so romance means a crush, we are talking Gilbert pulling Anne's braids here). I couldn't think of that many clean enough for her. Any help would be most appreciated! Many thanks in advance!

message 2: by Nathan Trevor (last edited Jun 13, 2012 01:10PM) (new)

Nathan Trevor (thatTrev) My brother and I really enjoyed reading the first two books of Danger Boy series when we were younger (I was probably 11, him 10). It's an adventure story and involves time travel. Not so much magic, but there is a little bit of romance between the two main characters, more so in the second book. It was a while ago that I read them, so I can't remember them very well. They're probably really clean, since my mom wouldn't have let us read them if they weren't! If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. :)

LauraW (LauraLynnWalsh) | 68 comments Has she read Half Magic? It isn't quite as challenging as Dealing with Dragons, but it is a good story. Then there is Goose Girl, and similar stories by Shannon Hale. And the first of Tamora Pierce's books would be good. Some of the later ones may be a little too explicit, as far as the romance goes, but the earlier ones are fine. Books by Dianna Wynne Jones, while not my favorites, get good reviews and are enjoyed by a lot of kids that age.

Half Magic
The Goose Girl
Alanna: The First Adventure

Nathan Trevor (thatTrev) I've just found on my shelves, The Inkheart Trilogy, which I read a few years back and enjoyed. They are rather long, probably more for an older child than 9, but if she is a good reader she might like them.
Another one is The Golden Compass. I didn't like this book, but most people I've seen did like it, and I think it's for that age group.

Emily | 66 comments I second the recommendation for Shannon Hale. Two other good fantasy stories she might like are Ella Enchanted and Tuesdays at the Castle.

Has she read any of the classics, such as The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder or The Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace?

Here are some more older books, that have a low key element of romance (usually between adults off-stage) suitable for her age, that are also very good stories:

The Little White Horse
All-of-a-Kind Family
Time at the Top
The Mysterious Disappearance of Leon

Good luck!

Julie Scott (JulieZBScott) | 19 comments Here's a few that my kids liked,

Dragon Keeper by Carole Wilkinson
The Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart (I think the first one is Beyond the Deepwoods
The Secret of Platform 13 and Dial-a-Ghost by Eva Ibbotson

My daughter also loved The Little White Horse and other Elizabeth Goudge books, but they were written quite a long time ago (1940's I think) so are not for everybody.

I would say that nine is too young for the Golden Compass, but if she wanted something more complex she could try The Neverending Story

Jasmine | 72 comments Mod
My niece has been very excited about The Lemonade War series (I know there is a new one out this summer). We just started the Treasure Chest series by Ann Hood for my son's book club but it's twin (boy/girl) protagonists so that would probably work too definitely magic based. I remember reading Black Beauty at that age and loving it. I can't remember the ages on The Witch of Blackbird Pond and The Island of the Blue Dolphins but those were my absolute favs growing up.

Anne Nydam | 83 comments For magic + good, clean romance + historical fiction try Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot and its sequels.
Not the best book in the world, but good for what it is (light entertainment), but also including magic and a bit of romance is The Frog Princess. More magic and romance, plus murder mystery is A Tale of Two Castles
(I second "Tuesdays at the Castle" and also agree that Pullman is problematic.)

message 9: by Lisa (last edited Jun 14, 2012 03:37PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 961 comments It's not fantasy but most girls I know that age, and a couple years older and younger, have loved From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.

message 10: by Cheryl in CC NV (last edited Jun 15, 2012 08:26AM) (new)

Cheryl in CC NV (cherylllr) | 1183 comments Mod
The Last Dragon is newish, but has all the hallmarks of a classic adventure, for ages 8 up.

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH was one of my favorites decades ago and it's def. clean, though it has some provocative ideas about intelligence and animal experimentation.

The Book of Dragons, and some others by E. Nesbit are clever & smart.

Edward Eager wrote some wonderful adventures about siblings exploring magical worlds.

Alysa | 2 comments Trevor wrote: "My brother and I really enjoyed reading the first two books of Danger Boy series when we were younger (I was probably 11, him 10). It's an adventure story and involves time travel. Not so much magi..."

We both love time travel stories - thank you!

LauraW wrote: "Has she read Half Magic? It isn't quite as challenging as Dealing with Dragons, but it is a good story. Then there is Goose Girl, and similar stories by Shannon Hale. And the first of Tamora Pie..."

Half Magic is on her pile and she is reading Goose Girl as we speak. Added Alanna. Great recommendations, thank you!

Trevor wrote: "I've just found on my shelves, The Inkheart Trilogy, which I read a few years back and enjoyed. They are rather long, probably more for an older child than 9, but if she is a good reader she might ..."

I think Inkheart is a bit beyond her still - it's on her top "to read in a year or two" shelf. And I agree with you about Golden Compass. Thank you!

Emily wrote: "I second the recommendation for Shannon Hale. Two other good fantasy stories she might like are Ella Enchanted and Tuesdays at the Castle.

Has she read any of the classics, such as The Secret Gar..."

I've added lots of your suggestions - thank you!

Julie wrote: "Here's a few that my kids liked,

Dragon Keeper by Carole Wilkinson
The Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart (I think the first one is Beyond the Deepwoods
The Secret of Platform 13 and Dial-a-Ghost by ..."

Oooo - these sound great!

Jasmine wrote: "My niece has been very excited about The Lemonade War series (I know there is a new one out this summer). We just started the Treasure Chest series by Ann Hood for my son's book club but it's twin..."

Looking forward to reading the Treasure Chest one with her!

Anne wrote: "For magic + good, clean romance + historical fiction try Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot and its sequels.
Not the best book in the world, but good for what it is (light entertain..."

Loved this one - thank you for reminding me! Actually everything on your list sounds great!

Lisa wrote: "It's not fantasy but most girls I know that age, and a couple years older and younger, have loved From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler."

I've heard about this for years but never read it, it sounds great!

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "The Last Dragon is newish, but has all the hallmarks of a classic adventure, for ages 8 up.

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH was one of my favorites decades ago and it's def. clean, though it has..."

I've read and loved all but the Lasst Dragon - it sounds great! Thank you!

You all are amazing! These are all wonderful suggestions! I've a lot to read before she gets done with Goose Girl so I'd better get to it. Thank you again!

message 12: by Lisa (last edited Jun 16, 2012 10:01PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 961 comments Oh, I strongly second Emily's suggestion of Time At The Top. It's one of my all time favorite books.

And, has anybody suggested A Wrinkle in Time yet?!!!

Dolly (dollymart) | 213 comments Our 9 year old loves the Dragon Keeper series by Kate Klimo. The first book is The Dragon in the Sock Drawer.

Chewing-Gum Adventures (GumAdventures) | 1 comments I have been reading my 9-year old girl the Famous Five books, they are a bit stuffy but she enjoys them. I was considering moving onto the Hobbit. As you can see, i know nothing of Romance in Children's books.

Glad there are so many suggestions here. I will add them to my list too.

Miriam | 53 comments Alysa, you can also ask for recs over at the Reader's Advisory page, if you need more.

message 16: by Carolyn (last edited Jun 21, 2012 07:31PM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 21 comments Wow, lots of great books listed here!
I would recommend the Dragon Slippers series by Jessica George and all the Shannon Hale books, especially Book of a Thousand Days and Rapunzel's Revenge.
For some additional classics, My 8.5yo is really enjoying The Borrowers series, and she's started to read her way through the Narnia books, and is loving them. She is in the middle of the Half Magic books, and has asked me to get the rest of them and the rest of the How to Train Your Dragon series out of the library for her.

Chrislin | 8 comments My daughter Hannah 9 is reading Sideways stories from wayside school Louis Sachar. It is funny fun crazy odd and before you know it you have finished a chapter. My daughters teacher read her the book in 2 grade she liked it so well we are reading it again. 3rd grade is hard to find books. Why do we not have more giveaways for chapter books?

message 18: by Cheryl in CC NV (last edited Jun 22, 2012 06:38PM) (new)

Hi Chrislin!

Giveaways are submitted by authors and by publishers - GR basically posts whatever books are offered. I imagine it might help if contacted your favorite publishing houses and told them that they should be using the Goodreads Giveaway program, that they're missing a marketing opportunity.

Sachar is marvelous.

I agree Chandra that The Goose Girl and its sequels are more like age 12 up, more YA. But I agree with my library to classify the fun and smart Princess Academy as juvenile. I'm a fan of all five books. Oh, and I also like Book of a Thousand Days but that's also YA.

message 20: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 2831 comments Mod
It's a bit more steampunk than outright fantasy, but I loved the Larklight series.

A few other suggestions:

The Borrowers

The Little Broomstick

The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy series (no fantasy but some adventure and age-appropriate romance)

for adventure/mystery maybe The Red Blazer Girls: The Ring of Rocamadour--they are a bit older (middle grade) but I don't think there was anything inappropriate, just crushes.

message 21: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 2831 comments Mod
Chandra wrote: "Larklight is on my list Kathryn!

Izzy and I are going to start Half Magic this week and hopefully read it while we are on vacation.

I also really want Izzy to read The Penderwicks ! I think sh..."

Three cheers! I hope you enjoy "Half Magic" (it's on my list, too) and I also hope Izzy will enjoy the Penderwicks. I think she is a great age for the series :-)