Down and Out in Paris and London Down and Out in Paris and London question

Who is today's George Orwell?
Peter Peter Jun 13, 2012 11:06AM
Having read George Orwell writings I am impressed with the level of insight that he showed into the events and trends of his times. Many of his anticipations came to be, (I'm not talking about 1984) I'm thinking of his essays,Down and Out... and The Road to Wigan Pier.
I wonder which contemporary writers display the same level of insight and foresight today?
I'm aware of Noam Chomski, and a few others in a limited sense
Please discuss

I will readily point you to the late Christopher Hitchens who passed in 2011. He comes the closest to Orwell' style. I really enjoyed his works.

Chris Hedges

Aren't really any. Its too late for any writer to come along and warn us like Orwell did. We've crossed the line into a form of what he imagined. Thank Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Tim Berners-Lee, and the boys at Facebook for that.

Anthony Howarth You left out the boys at Google. One of them actually publicly said something like, "we are learning to interpret the truth~! Yes! I heard him...
Dec 21, 2013 03:22AM

Surely the NSA and the like. Orwell was just a writer, writing fiction, future fiction, contemporary fiction. All in his imagination. Good stuff. Read Burmese days to understand a whole lot more about him and the world. But NSA etc are real, non-fiction they are doing it - now.

Michael Yea that is why I meant that they have the similar warnings not similar writing styles. They both have stood against the tide of tyranny. And Burmese...more
Dec 21, 2013 07:57AM

Irvine Welsh

How about Will Self? Although it's hard to be sure what position Orwell would have taken on today's political issues - he never fitted neatly into any category, still less political party - I wonder if his fiery left-ness torch is now carried by Self?

John Pilger (journalist) and Peter Tatchell (campaigner) get my vote as neither seems to have sold out.

There is only one George Orwell, thought David Foster Wallace is/was pretty solid.

Rudolf Wurlitzer

Walter (last edited Jun 13, 2012 04:49PM ) Jun 13, 2012 04:43PM   0 votes
Have you read anything by David Foster Wallace? Stuart Ewen? Neil Postman? Naomi Klein? Christopher Hitchens?

In terms of clarity of ideas and writing, I would suggest John Berger (especially 'The Seventh Man' but many others besides) and Theodore Dalrymple (especially 'The Wilder Shores of Marx') - politically, they are as close to polar opposites as you can probably get but they are both forceful writers.

Hitchens, as Walter says above, is a good candidate too.

Ron Paul has made many warnings similar to Orwell and we have seen some of them come true.

Should have added that I think William Gibson is pretty good in the prediction business

Jonathon (last edited Dec 23, 2013 04:48PM ) Dec 20, 2013 11:48PM   -1 votes
Who the fuck is Noam Chomski? I have heard of Noam Chomsky though.

Ron Paul 2012!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Down and Out in Paris and London (other topics)