The Spook's Apprentice (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles #1) The Spook's Apprentice discussion

The Movie Adaptation

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Fachrina According to imdb, it will be released under the title The Seventh Son, starring Ben Barnes (Tom), Jeff Bridges (The Spook), and Alicia Vikander (Alice), and will be released around October 2013.

My question to fans of the series, will you watch it?

Rogier yesss

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Oh that sounds great. I think of Tom as being younger though. I'll definitely check it out.

Hannah BEN BARNES IS TOM!?!?!?!? NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laura Collins I'll definitely see it but I think Tom should be younger :-/ Ben Barnes is a man not a teenager and I think it will be weird for the fans of the book to watch, however he is a good actor and it might make people who haven't seen the book more keen to see the film :)
I feel like it will also start with one of the later books or merge some together but hopefully it will be done well and will introduce more people to the books :)

Madison Sheyenne omg i loved the books so yes i'm going to watch the movie

message 7: by Hannah (last edited Jun 14, 2012 03:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hannah I think I'll only watch it out of sheer curiosity, but I won't be able to appreciate the movie for it's own solitary merits (if any) when I'll of course be comparing it to the book. They've got a 32-year-old man playing a character who's supposed to be 12!! I don't know, I just can't see it being in any way similar to the book; they'll probably chop it up into suckish Hollywood garbage and....

Nope. I'm being a hater. And haters are stupid. I will only hate on this movie after I've seen it and determined whether or not it does the book justice. The hating stops now.

Fachrina Hannah wrote: "I think I'll only watch it out of sheer curiosity, but I won't be able to appreciate the movie for it's own solitary merits (if any) when I'll of course be comparing it to the book. They've got a 3..."

Agree with you. I've always pictured Tom as 12/13 years old boy, and I'm disappointed with Ben Barnes being cast as Tom .

message 9: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah I'll probably watch it, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be like the Lightning Theif movie. On IMDB they say Caleb Landry Jones auditioned to be Tom. I'd much rather him be Tom than Ben Barnes. He's got a younger look about him and as long as he got a haircut, I think he'd be the best out of the choices they had. Jeff Bridges is a decent pick for The Spook I think. I did imagine the spook skinnier and older, sometimes with a lame leg.

Well, you can't have everything you want! I hope Joseph Delaney gets more publicidy because of this!

Now I want to re-read the series...

message 10: by Eden (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eden Yes. I will definitely watch it.

message 11: by Lucas (new)

Lucas Hell no, I am not watching another movie that ruins an awesome book, how can they have a man playing the role of a character who in the book starts off as 13 years old? That's just not right. And the spook himself is meant to be quite thin not bulky, couldn't they pick anyone more suited to the roles? Geez, I hate how directors can ruin a book when they convert it into a move...

Pagemaster I will watch it but resent the idea of ben barnes playing tom hes to old.

Isabel Faith Lucas wrote: "Hell no, I am not watching another movie that ruins an awesome book, how can they have a man playing the role of a character who in the book starts off as 13 years old? That's just not right. And t..."

I agree with the ' hell no'. These books are my favorite childhood series, and I don't feel like watching them be ruined. Everything about the movie looks terrible so far.

Sorrel I don't understand why they keep on changing the title. Joseph Delaney called it the Spooks apprentice, then it was changed for American publishing to The last apprentice (I'm not to bothered about that though) and now it's called the seventh son. Both Tom and Alice are way too old like other people said. When Joseph Delaney was at our school he said that Tom was about 12/13 an Alice the same age. Neither of them look any where near their ages. Also I think they're going to try and make a romance out of Alice and Tom when nothing like that happens in the first book. Grrrrr. Film industry leave the books alone! I probably will go to see it though because even if it is different it will probably still be good :-)

Alexandra Yes! But the thing I don't like about the new movie is that they get a 30 year old man to play a 13 year old. But I'm sure it will be a good movie.

Swrang I wish they would not put those movie stickers on the book covers.

message 17: by GinAndCats (new) - added it

GinAndCats This book wasn't my favorite, but still, isn't Ben Barnes a bit too old to play Tom, a 12/13 year old?

message 18: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai Ronin I won't watch it if Ben Barnes is Tom.

Fachrina TheFeelsAreStayingIndoors wrote: "This book wasn't my favorite, but still, isn't Ben Barnes a bit too old to play Tom, a 12/13 year old?"

They probably will make Tom a teenager in the movie.

Fachrina UPDATE: the trailer is here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/...

So, what do you think?

message 21: by Flaviu (last edited Jul 13, 2013 03:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Flaviu Recean Fachrina wrote: "UPDATE: the trailer is here.

So, what do you think?"

Woah woah woah woah wooooaahhh ... Wait a second ... Wikipedia says it's based on the first book , did I miss something here or are they just like " Screw it , he's the seventh son of a seventh son and he's the old dude's apprentice , that's all we're taking out of that book".
I'm not saying it'll be bad for not being faithful to the novel but that was a bit too much (not even taking Tom's age in consideration).
Someone please tell me if i misread the entire first novel or what just happened here...

message 22: by Eden (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eden Flaviu wrote: "Fachrina wrote: "UPDATE: the trailer is here.

So, what do you think?"

Woah woah woah woah wooooaahhh ... Wait a second ..."

It does seem to me that only bits and pieces were taken from the book and everything else was thrown out. According to an article I read, John Gregory is a knight in the movie and not a spook.

I still want to see the movie, but after seeing the trailer, I can tell it is going to be very different from the book.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Spook's Apprentice (other topics)