Much Ado About Nothing Much Ado About Nothing discussion

Should Hero gone back to Claudio?

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emma I get that in Elizabethen times that the father chose the husband for his daughter but surely Leonato should of decided that it was better to of not allowed his daughter to go back to a man who disgraced her on her own wedding day.
What do you think?

message 2: by Lady (new)

Lady Hero Hi Emma,

I just finished performing in a production of Much Ado, and I played Hero. Since Shakespeare didn't write very many stage directions...I was able to play with Hero's character a little. So, on the topic of Hero returning to Claudio after he disgraced her, what I did is at the last wedding right after Claudio says "Another Hero!" I slapped him accross the face. (a stage slap, don't worry) Then, after contemplating the idea with Beatrice and sobbing, I returned to Claudio. (Since I had to for the play to work) But, especially since we left the play in Elzabethan times, this would have been a huge step for a young lady like Hero, and brodcasts to the audience that she is strong and is not just a puppet.

So, since you asked the question, I thought you would like to hear my take on this. In our production, Hero does get her revenge!

Chloe In my opinion, that really depends on the production. I think the big thing is how far Claudio goes. If he just sort of storms in, yells a bit, and storms out, then I think his apologies and eulogy for her kind of make up for his actions enough for her to consider taking him back. If the production involves him hitting her, then I don't think she should take him back (even though she inevitably will).

Annemarie Donahue I understand the social pressures and constructs that mandated that Hero take Claudio back, but honestly I think I would have just punched him in the dick.

Paul Harmon Claudio was fooled as well. He raged against being made a fool and cheated on. Anyone who's ever been disgraced that way can understand his fury and need for "revenge" (embarrassing her on her wedding day). If Hero cared for him going back to him was understandable. They were both victims who then could stand strong together.

Alsjem This is my sisters favourite Shakespeare play and consequently I have seen it performed many, many times.

I have always really struggled with the Hero / Claudio relationship and have come to the conclusion that it was a different time so I just can't possibly understand.

I love the idea that one day I will go to a production where Hero surprises the audience by not taking him back!!!

Candace This was exactly my thought as well. I understood that he was reacting because he was tricked, but he didn't have to shame her in front of everyone on the wedding day. I'm guessing that the way the story is told was realistic for the time period but I think it says a lot about how far women have come that many people would see this differently now. It definitely rubbed me the wrong way when he did that and then was going to marry someone else like the very next day and she was still pleased to have him back. It kept me from really enjoying the happy ending. Altogether though I loved the play!

Mike Jensen Geez, why would anybody bring 21st century psychology to an old story. The point is behind you, people. You missed it.

Shari Shattuck It's almost a moot point. I've played many of Shakespeare's leading ladies, I'm playing Beatrice right now in a production in L.A. and it's often difficult to justify why the women switch so quickly, so here's the answer, "The play's the thing!" She goes back to him because it pleases the audience, that's what Shakespeare did best. His audiences couldn't read or write, this was a time of big, silly comedy. Kate in "Taming of the Shrew" has a much more difficult switcheroo. I had more trouble with that one.

APerkins Shari wrote: "....Kate in "Taming of the Shrew" has a much more difficult switcheroo. I had more trouble with that one."

I saw a lovely production of "Taming of the Shrew" that played it where it was love at first sight on Petruchio's part, and he was essentially showing Kate how to play the world's game - people will leave you alone if you tell them what they want to hear and then you can do or be whatever you want.

One argument I've heard to support that interpretation is that Kate's speech about how important it is for a woman to be silent is the longest speech anyone has in the entire play :-)

Parvathi Rupa Hero's going back to Claudio was something I always felt strange, especially after his unpardonable doubts and insults. But I think Shakespeare is just trying to prove a point here- the inferior status of women in Elizabethan England. Else he would never have written a play that went against his cherished notions of true love ("Love is not true love which alters when it alteration finds or bends with the remover to remove") . Certainly, I felt sympathy for Hero. Claudio's jealousy makes Petruchio's pranks just a good-intentioned joke.

message 12: by Eliza (last edited May 01, 2013 07:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eliza I've always loved "Much Ado About Nothing" and I must admit, Hero and Claudio weren't as much of a concern to me as were Beatrice and Benedick. Both Hero and Claudio were not as interesting to me, and the foreword at the beginnning of a copy from the library said they were purposely made that way so the audience would focus on Beatrice and Benedick.
Now, if it were me, bye-bye Claudio. YOu can't trust your own "sweet Hero" just because John (who hates everybody) said so? Wishy washy and not very loyal. Hero was much kinder than I would have been. I certainly wouldn't have gone back.
By the way, the slap was a nice touch in your stage production, Lady. It does give Hero more depth.

message 13: by Val (new) - rated it 5 stars

Val I used to object to Hero's marrying Claudio. He is, not to put too fine a point on it, a real jerk. That said, Hero is not. For reasons unknown to me, she does love Claudio and that she chooses to marry him makes her a woman both kind and forgiving. Perhaps Claudio learned from their experiences to be decent husband material.

message 14: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Simmons No. Claudio is a real ass in my opinion, but then so are a lot of Shakespearean men.

message 15: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike Jensen To repeat: Why would anybody bring 21st century psychology to an old story. The point is behind you, people. You missed it.

Nathan Gray I believe she should have. Claudio was given false information, that was something not in his control. She probably should have understood this

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Much Ado About Nothing (other topics)