Stephen King Fans discussion

In the Tall Grass
This topic is about In the Tall Grass
Short Stories & Collections > In The Tall Grass

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joanie | 51 comments I was just looking at Esquire Magazine in the staff lounge at my work (why it was there I have no idea-but that's another story!) and I found a novella by Stephen King and Joe Hill that's being published in two parts. The first part is in June/July and part two will be in August. I promptly swiped the magazine and hid it in my purse but I haven't read it yet. Has anyone else heard about this? I'll report back once I read it.

message 2: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 598 comments I heard about this from the SK official site, so a couple days ago I went and bought the magazine, but I haven't read it yet :)

message 3: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin It sounds vaguely familiar, but no, I haven't read it..

Joanie | 51 comments I finally read this last night and I loved it! It was totally creepy and suspenseful and I can't wait to read part 2! It's definitely worth going out and buying Esquire.

message 5: by Rob (new)

Rob Hinchcliffe (Hinchcliffe) | 1 comments Read Part 2 last night (on the iPad version) and can definitely recommend it - great story.

Also - the Jun-Jul edition that contains part one has a short Q+A with father and son about the process of writing the story.

message 6: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 5 comments I read the first half at work as well. It seemed pretty good so far, just really short. I've yet to read the second half, because I work at a salon and someone is ALWAYS reading that one! probably because its new.

Joanie | 51 comments Just bought the second one tonight (whoever brought it into work last time didn't come through this time and I couldn't wait any longer!) Hoping to read tonight!

message 8: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 598 comments I bought both issues of the magazine so I could read this story. I thought it was good, a little freaky, a little mysterious, a little gross... It was good.

Christopher Owen | 104 comments Bump, in honor of this just being released as an e-book.

I'm not really sure what the hell to make of this story. On the one hand I liked it, on the other hand I...don't even know. I'm not sure if I missed something, but I'm not sure if the end has a deeper meaning or if it's just what it written (sorry for being vague, but I don't want to get into a crazy amount of spoiers).

message 10: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Christopher wrote: "Bump, in honor of this just being released as an e-book.

I'm not really sure what the hell to make of this story. On the one hand I liked it, on the other hand I...don't even know. I'm not sure i..."

Thank you, Christopher.

message 11: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 997 comments It was....umm.

I don't even know.

But worth reading.

message 12: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 598 comments Chris wrote: "It was....umm.

I don't even know.

But worth reading."

Well said :D

Gatorman | 561 comments Recently downloaded it.

Christopher Owen | 104 comments Kit★ wrote: "Chris wrote: "It was....umm.

I don't even know.

But worth reading."

Well said :D"

Lol seriously. I'm not going to even add to that.

message 15: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Gatorman wrote: "Recently downloaded it."

I hope you enjoy it, Gatorman.:)

Gatorman | 561 comments I finished this last night. Liked it, didn't love it. Gave it 3 stars. Better than A Face In The Crowd but not as good as Throttle, the last King/Hill effort. Felt too derivitive of Children Of The Corn and other better King short stories.

message 17: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Gatorman wrote: "I finished this last night. Liked it, didn't love it. Gave it 3 stars. Better than A Face In The Crowd but not as good as Throttle, the last King/Hill effort. Felt too derivitive of Children Of..."

Good, I'm glad to hear that.

message 18: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah (fringeblog) | 1 comments I thought the first part was masterfully done. Great set up, creepy premise, and they ended it on a note of both dread and hope.

Part 2 I just finished reading. My response to it, and to the story as a whole now, is... meh. It didn't have the same sense of creepiness the first part did; instead, the mystery of the grass and the skulking unknown elements all combining in a somewhat unique way (well, if you've read The Ruins this isn't too different in many respects) gave way to a lame cultish horror cliche. It just didn't have the same weight as part 1 did. It was gorier, and more raw than part 1. But the overall effect was somehow less than I was hoping for.

Rachel | 699 comments I read this as one complete story and there does seem to be a disconnect partway through the narrative. The build up is awesome and then the story meanders. I wasn't sure I totally understood the ending.

Gatorman | 561 comments The Ruins is a good comparison especially in light of the ending.

Rachel | 699 comments I still need to read The Ruins, I own the movie.

Kilgallen | 17 comments I bought this as an e-book and I can honestly say I loved it! I liked the weirdness, the shock factor, and even the ending. A good quick horrific read!!!!

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1 comments I was so excited to download this and read it! But I agree with most people here. The first half was excellent and made me a little anxious - just what I was expecting. After that turn about halfway through, I was a little confused about what happened with the whole tone changing? Still worth a read, though!

Ronald (woordenaar) Read it, liked it.

Ellie Rodriguez (Elliebloo) | 24 comments i liked this a lot. It was a good collaberation and creepy as usual.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 644 comments Christopher wrote: "Bump, in honor of this just being released as an e-book.

I'm not really sure what the hell to make of this story. On the one hand I liked it, on the other hand I...don't even know. I'm not sure i..."

I read In the Tall Grass last night, and I'm with you. It started off really well, but then, for me the end was just, "What? That's it?" Like you, I don't know if there was something I missed or what, but I gave it 3.5 stars, mainly because the first part was pretty good. Second half...heh. Um. Like the other Chris said....worth the read.

Doreen Petersen | 154 comments As much as I can't figure out where this book is going I'm really liking it.

Kandice | 2328 comments I read this when it was first released as an ebook (in it's entirety) but don't really remember details. Maybe I need to re-read it after having just re-read this thread. O_o

unread topics | mark unread