Challenge: 50 Books discussion

July Group Reads

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye (new)

Faye | 672 comments Mod
Believe it or not, it's mid-June, so I guess we should start discussing July group reads. What's already on your soon-to-be-read pile that you might want do in a group?

message 2: by Mekerei (new)

Mekerei | 202 comments Here are two books that have been on my reading list for a while

*The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
* Room by Emma Donoghue

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 548 comments I've read both. Enjoyed the first and would love to discuss it; did not like the second but would discuss it.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 548 comments Here are three suggestions from my TBR list:

Blood Meridian
Motherless Brooklyn
We Were the Mulvaneys

message 5: by Marissa-dono (new)

Marissa-dono (mdawnh96) | 107 comments Mod
I'm still up for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, or a few others that have been sitting on my TBR shelf for a while are Fallen Angels, Nine-Tenths, & A Town Like Alice. & I know Tim mentioned being interested in reading another Nabokov, Pale Fire. & of course I'd be interested in moderating any of those unless of course someone else wants to try their hand with one of them this month.

message 6: by lisa, Questioner (new)

lisa (cravescoffee32) | 286 comments Mod
One of the books on my summer reading list is The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith. I'm thinking of teaching it in an intro to lit class next spring and would enjoy reading it in a group first.

I haven't read Blood Meridian but I've read The Road and No Country for Old Men, so I could probably give McCarthy another chance to impress me.

message 7: by Alison (new)

Alison G. | 511 comments im up for a classic. i dont care which one. my goal for the rest of the year is to read more classics.

message 8: by Mekerei (new)

Mekerei | 202 comments Cormac McCarthy is one of my favourite authors. I'm willing to give Blood Meridian ago (he impresses me BIG time!)

message 9: by Faye (new)

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 548 comments At swim two birds, townie, guernsey (would love to read it again) and blood meridian look good to me . . . Perhaps we have two months selected???

message 11: by Tim (new)

Tim Weakley | 396 comments I'll toss some Fitzgerald out there. How about The Beautiful and Damned?

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate | 217 comments A vote here for Blood Meridian.

message 13: by Belinda (new)

Belinda "Crossing to Safety" by Wallace Stegner - I'm about to read that as part of a televised book club show we have here in Australia. I loved Guernsey too. It's one of my favourite books.

message 14: by Tima (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) | 683 comments Kate wrote: "Here are three suggestions from my TBR list:

Blood Meridian
Motherless Brooklyn
We Were the Mulvaneys"

Someone just gave me We Were The Mulvaneys to read, I've heard it's quite good. I'd be up for that to read and discuss!

message 15: by Tima (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) | 683 comments Belinda wrote: ""Crossing to Safety" by Wallace Stegner - I'm about to read that as part of a televised book club show we have here in Australia. I loved Guernsey too. It's one of my favourite books."

I think I need to move to Australia, a televised book club?! Sounds like heaven.

message 16: by Faye (new)

Faye | 672 comments Mod
Eep! It's almost July. Do we have any volunteer moderators?

message 17: by Alison (new)

Alison G. | 511 comments whats the book? we decided yet?

message 18: by Tima (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) | 683 comments Faye wrote: "Eep! It's almost July. Do we have any volunteer moderators?"

Hey Faye! I didn't join until after the book read started this month. What would you need from a volunteer mod? i might be able to help!

message 19: by Faye (new)

Faye | 672 comments Mod
Moderating a discussion is fun! It entails:
- determining the timeline for how much of the book should be read each week over a 4 week period
-committing to asking at least one question of the group once per week to stimulate conversation, and
- voicing your opinions about the book in the thread

We will put ~4 books up for a popularity poll and the winning book will be one of the books read. The alternate book will be selected by me or the volunteer mods to provide a read of contrasting appeal to the popular choice. Only books with a potential moderator will be selected for entry to the popular poll. We don't need a winner with no moderator!

At least, that's how it's working so far, but we can adjust the group read selection process as the group's interests and needs evolve. Cheers :)

message 20: by Tanya (new)

Tanya | 3 comments Totally on board with a classic!! I would really like to read some of Jane Austin work.

message 21: by Tima (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) | 683 comments Faye, I've never done it before and might not do a very good job but I'd be more than willing to give it a shot!

message 22: by Faye (new)

Faye | 672 comments Mod
That's great, Tiffani. What books would you be willing to moderate?

message 23: by Faye (new)

Faye | 672 comments Mod
Okay everyone, the poll is up at http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/67...

Show your votes!

message 24: by Tima (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) | 683 comments Oh, well, none of the ones I owned made it into the poll this month. Looks like I will have to wait until August to moderate. :(

message 25: by Faye (new)

Faye | 672 comments Mod
Not necessarily, Tiffani. We need to select a 2nd book that contrasts with the popular vote winner. It doesn't have to be one of the ones in the vote.

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 548 comments Happy to moderate Blood Meridian if it wins . . .

message 27: by Faye (last edited Jul 01, 2012 12:28PM) (new)

Faye | 672 comments Mod
Super! Your our mod then, Kate, because Blood Meridian won! Thanks for volunteering. Cheers.

message 28: by Tima (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) | 683 comments I saw someone mention "We Were the Mulvaneys" earlier in the thread. I own that book and if people are still interested in reading it, I could happily try to mod a discussion around it. If not this month, maybe next?

For August, I can also have more time to purchase the popular book ahead of time and happily assist where needed =)

message 29: by Tima (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) | 683 comments Just let me know if you need another volunteer this month/next month, sorry if it inconvenienced you somehow Faye =]

message 30: by Faye (new)

Faye | 672 comments Mod
No worries at all Tiffani :) It would be great to have you on the moderator roster for August. In the August thread (when I get around to putting it up), please list some books you'd be interested in moderating. Thanks!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (other topics)
Room (other topics)
Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West (other topics)
Motherless Brooklyn (other topics)
We Were the Mulvaneys (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mary Ann Shaffer (other topics)
Emma Donoghue (other topics)
Cormac McCarthy (other topics)