A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) A Storm of Swords discussion

Frustratingly Close Calls

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

April-lee Does it frustrate anyone else that Jon and Bran are in the same village at the same time but totally miss each other? Or when Bran passes under the wall with the help of Sam but Sam never mentions it to Jon? Also how Arya and the Hound arrive at the Red Wedding barely moments too late? You keep waiting for certain characters to reconnect with each other in the book so it's rather frustrating when they are sooo close but yet so far away.

Chris Ward Haha, I remember going annoyed at that. I guess that's just one of the great things about the books, though.

Michael Offutt I agree. It's annoying especially with Jon and Bran because they love each other and Bran could have used some help and support. With Arya, she would have just been killed at the Red Wedding as well.

Kati Or when Jaime and Brienne buy the horses from that inn, and then Arya, Gendry and Lem (and others) end up at that inn, where Arya reveals herself to the man who was from Winterfell and worked with the horses, I obviously can't remember his name.

Kirby oh, yeah- those always drive me crazy! I think that the last time I was so frustrated by near misses was Gone With the Wind!

April-lee Kati wrote: "Or when Jaime and Brienne buy the horses from that inn, and then Arya, Gendry and Lem (and others) end up at that inn, where Arya reveals herself to the man who was from Winterfell and worked with ..."

Yes I forgot about that one as well! Especially since Brienne is on a mission to return Arya and Sansa to their mother!

Maria And at the end (spoiler alert of course!) where Arya is headed to where Sansa is at and is very close before changing course. GRRM is too cruel to us!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

This is where Mr. Martin irritates me. He purposely protracts reunions to make a more emotional impact when characters actually do reunite. I hate it just as much as the next guy, it's a cheap storytelling tactic (that Tolkien practiced but was much more than forgivable as it was relatively new.)

Will IV I disagree. What need is there for any reunions? It would counteract the entire plot. You are basically asking for a different story.

April-lee In spite of the finding the "close calls" extremely frsutrating...especially when you're right into the story and literally sitting on the edge of your seat and yelling/groaning/crying at the book (as I've been known to do...lol)... I DO agree that it is important to the overall plot and storyline that they don't meet at that time as they are on different paths, etc. Doesn't make it any less frustrating when you read it for the first time though...

Danielle I was disappointed that Arya wasn't reunited with Nymeria, yet she has traveled through the area where Nymeria is leading a wolf pack.

Petter Avén Have any characters who used to hang out before all hell broke loose reconnected at all? I can't remember any, can you? :)

Chris Ward He's just avoiding doing what most other writers do. I imagine some reunions will happen at some point, but I think the whole series is going to go for a few more volumes yet.

April-lee Well Petter as far as the first five books (view spoiler) but as there are two more books planned (possibly more, you never know with him) I'm assuming it wil happen at some point. After starting this thread I continued re-reading the series and realized there's actually quite a few close calls in all the books. I think that'll just make it all the more worthwhile when any reunions do happen.

message 15: by Dena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dena Danielle wrote: "I was disappointed that Arya wasn't reunited with Nymeria, yet she has traveled through the area where Nymeria is leading a wolf pack."

Danielle wrote: "I was disappointed that Arya wasn't reunited with Nymeria, yet she has traveled through the area where Nymeria is leading a wolf pack."

I was so excited at that point in the book only to be disappointed! Hoping that they will be reunited in the next books. I am a sucker for happy endings.

Petter Avén Thanks for the info, April-lee. One thing though, when an author raises expectations that way, he'd better deliver!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

A Storm of Swords (other topics)
Gone with the Wind (other topics)