Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Off-Topic > female gamers

Comments (showing 1-50 of 192) (192 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments The lore of female gamers: [ from a guy's POV]
Among the many kinds of people counted as gamers, the female part of the population deserves an accurate „introspection”. Since womens took they place in a comunity, that almost few years ago, was dominated by males female gaming became a mainstream hobby.
If the creators of D&D introduced the „gal gamer” as a selectable race, the character would get a +5 to charisma, + 3 to inteligence and + 3 to wisdom ( whithout suffering penalities to strenght, dexterity or constitution) as racial bonus. Gal gamers have the inborn ability „boobies”[ reduses focus and willsave rolls of enemy males while gives a +100 roll bonus on party member's male's skill rolls]
Since the nature of girls, does not allow absolute extremities, a gal gamer's alignement would exclude extremities from the corner of the alignement chart.

There are four archetypes of female gamers:
1) „The fierce one”. She plays hardcore mmorpg, enjoys PvP and if using a mic, will use a foul language if the party members suck at the game she loves. The fierce one is probably a pro gamer or plans to be one in the near future.
If one doesn't hold her down, and doesn't mind having his butt kicked by a gurl, she might be the best gaming buddy. However during FPS phrases like „ you shoot like a girl” might result in an instant headshot. You'll never hear her ask << does this uber armor make me fat?>> She won't accept free loot ( since she probably already got the best gear available)
2) „The newbie”. She might've been a fan of fantasy& sci-fi for years and just started this game. Since she's not a noob, she won't beg for free items or gold, but if offered the chance to be powerleveled she won't let the chance skip and will make the best of the opportunity. Once she learns the drills, she'll be your best party member. But in the meanwile you just feel the urge to help this little duckling and will be willing to grind mobs together while she goes afk . The day this young padawan surpasses you, you feel fullfilled in life.
3) „The friendly one”. She plays games to have fun whith others. She's „the fierce one „ but whithout the bad temper; enjoys teamplay, wants to create the coolest guild in the game. Will not tollerate a-hat behaviour and will kick out anyone that spoils and ruins the fun experience that's gaming. However „ The friendly one” shall not be confused whith casual gamer, since you might find the friendly engaged in the middle of an endless farming [ and she'll still make the hunt fuuuuuuuuun]
4) „The shy one” . She's there, you've seen her plenty of times raiding that instance, or in the middle of a fierce pvp battle, she might've even saved your digital arse few times. It takes time to gain her thrust, and a lot of effort till she opens to you and starts chatting casually. At this point you realise she's shy/ or probably didn't want to be harassed by perverts [ I'm looking at you little freak whith zits] so instead of pretending to be a 14 years old boy, just played alone. You really start to like her ( maybe even develop romantic feelings) and you start doing duo quests or just hang around. And finally comes the day when she comes out of the cocoon and decides you both should use ventrillo or teamspeak to make gaming and chatting more effective. After hearing her voice, you ponder why there is an elven songstress on the other side of the mic.

Remember however that those are just the basic archetypes and you might find other types of gaming chicks. The author himself refused to mention the nasty ones that play to ruin the fun of everyone. Also the lore does not include casual gamers since the topic deserves a separate volume of our enciclopedia gaminga

message 2: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments please don't hate me for writing this

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele (mogle) After playing the Guild Wars 2 beta and having the end of server convo immediately devolve into trolling regarding gender and race, I'm not sure how to respond to this.

I did get to use /block a lot though. Works great.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 89 comments Girl gamer: A person who plays games because they are fun and enjoyable; and happens to be female.

message 5: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vnorthw) | 479 comments Mod
You missed the major archetype of the girl gamer that has an army of male gamers wrapped around her finger that farm or level alts for her with no reward other than hearing her sweet voice in vent.

They're the worst. :s

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex (Trienco) | 80 comments No "undercover" girl, who avoids voice chat, uses a male avatar and just wants to play the game without constantly getting reminded of her gender? (Though you somewhat touched on it with the shy one)

A quickly googled meaningless statistic says female gamers make up 42%. It's basically "nothing special" anymore. Now let's pray this statistic doesn't cause some publishers to go for more "girl games". Like this atrocity

I'm not sure if I should find the stereotype offensive or having to match 3(!) shoes insultingly nonsensical.

message 7: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 179 comments ok now do a guy gamer guide...for equality's sake! lol :P
im a mix of 3 and 4 though im with alex i cant decide whether to be offended by these stereotypes or not..as im the friendly/nice one i guess i will let you off lol

message 8: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery Sargent (TheSarge) | 168 comments Alex wrote: "A quickly googled meaningless statistic says female gamers make up 42%. It's basically "nothing special" anymore. Now let's pray this statistic doesn't cause some publishers to go for more "girl games". Like this atrocity

I'm not sure if I should find the stereotype offensive or having to match 3(!) shoes insultingly nonsensical. "

Yeah, but the PvP rocks! The purple drop of T2 Steve Maddens kick ass.

message 9: by Rachel (last edited Jun 11, 2012 05:26PM) (new)

Rachel | 89 comments I'm actually pretty offended. Why are men never sorted into patronizing categories about why or how they game?

If a male gamer sends his male gaming buddy a pile of gold, no one bats an eye. If same male gamer sends his female gaming buddy a pile of gold, everyone automatically assumes she's manipulating him to get stuff for free.

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna Neal (annaneal) | 66 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm actually pretty offended. Why are men never sorted into patronizing categories about why or how they game?"

People like grouping people into buckets. I think it was mainly supposed to be funny.

Alex wrote: "A quickly googled meaningless statistic says female gamers make up 42%. It's basically "nothing special" anymore. Now let's pray this statistic doesn't cause some publishers to go for more "girl games"."

But I would like more "girl games". Maybe not "Shoe Town" or whatever you linked, but more games with cool romances and writing like Dragon Age. Or maybe games with only a female protagonist like Mirror's Edge. Or cool outfits and character customization of your RPG character not just boob town, small skirt time clothing. Games should definitely have more romance and better writing. It would be nice to be catered to a bit more in the gaming world.

message 11: by Candy (new)

Candy (HeartlessOne) | 83 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm actually pretty offended. Why are men never sorted into patronizing categories about why or how they game?

If a male gamer sends his male gaming buddy a pile of gold, no one bats an eye. If sa..."

I'm no necessarily offended by the article, just annoyed.Can we do a write up on female construction workers now? Or how about male strippers. I understand that gaming, for years, was primarily a "guy activity" but why is it a big deal that girls like to game? And why do we have to fit an archetype when we do? I game and I am none of the above. I play games to play the games; I don't ask other players for free crap, pick up guys, show off my "uber leet skillz". I play for the same reason I do anything else, because I want to.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 89 comments I think it was mainly supposed to be funny

I'm tired of 'jokes' where the punchline is "girls play games!!! lol!!!"

I would definitely like more games like Dragon Age: Origins - immersive, story and character driven games that let me play someone who actually looks like me. I'd also really like to see more games where the solution wasn't fighting the end boss.

message 13: by Candy (last edited Jun 11, 2012 06:11PM) (new)

Candy (HeartlessOne) | 83 comments Anna wrote: "But I would like more "girl games". Maybe not "Shoe Town" or whatever you linked, but more games with cool romances and writing like Dragon Age."

I don't know that I consider Dragon Age a girl game, though it is immensely popular with a lot of women I know, but I get what you mean, plot driven more that just log-in/log-out FPS killing. I also don't know that I care for romance in my games. They tried that with some (Enslaved fairly recently) and though I loved the game, it didn't seem to go over very well with the masses.

message 14: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vnorthw) | 479 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "I'm actually pretty offended. Why are men never sorted into patronizing categories about why or how they game?"

You've never seen an article about stereotypical gamer guys? Of course I can't find one when I need one but I've seen tons of them online, and all in good fun of course. If we can't laugh at ourselves how can we expect to show the rest of the world that we mean business? ;)

And, since we're all here, I assume most of us have watched The Guild? Sure it's both male and female, but those characters scream gamer stereotypes - all in good fun, but so was the post above.

message 15: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 7 comments In all honesty, most of the girl gamers I've met are more serious players that were more fun to Raid, Dungeon or just chat with than most of the guys I've played with, I only play WoW so I can' speak for other games but I'm a guy, and if anybody wants to play WoW with me Im on Rexxar, a lvl. 14 Blood Elf Mage named Hallian.

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul | 49 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm actually pretty offended. Why are men never sorted into patronizing categories about why or how they game?

I was thinking more or less the same thing. Why attempt to categorize girl gamers at all? They're people who like games, just like other people who like games. Enough said.

message 17: by Candy (new)

Candy (HeartlessOne) | 83 comments Vicky wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I'm actually pretty offended. Why are men never sorted into patronizing categories about why or how they game?"

You've never seen an article about stereotypical gamer guys? Of cours..."

I don't know, I find it fairly easy to laugh at myself, I've always been the stereotypical nerd who played D&D on Saturday nights with my friends instead of getting girled up to go out on dates, but I guess it just irks me to be consistently seen as a somehow less important person as a female, and being singled out as a girl gamer does that. Can't someone just be a gamer, as Paul said?

message 18: by Alex (new)

Alex (Trienco) | 80 comments Anna wrote: "But I would like more "girl games""

But if we label them that, would I still be allowed to play them? Wait, I joined a group called Vaginal Fantasy. I think I'm beyond caring...

I like your examples, because to me they are saying "girl games shouldn't cater to stereotypes, they should just be GOOD".

Might not be that much longer, before a gamer being female simply isn't anything special anymore and we all got used to it. Think about it this way: when was the last time you were hanging with friends and a guy came up to you "OMG.. you are girls? I mean, I think it's, like, so cool you're going out and stuff".

Give it time.

PS. I shamefully admit that I'm not much better. Like many guys, I just love seeing girls doing "ungirly" things. Swinging chainsaws, emptying clips on full auto at a shooting range, or the previously mentioned construction work. The only difference is that I stopped looking at gaming as "ungirly" (yes, including P&P RPGs).

message 19: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm actually pretty offended. Why are men never sorted into patronizing categories about why or how they game?

If a male gamer sends his male gaming buddy a pile of gold, no one bats an eye. If sa..."

the last time anyone said i was manipulated i just PK them

Rachel wrote: " I think it was mainly supposed to be funny

I'm tired of 'jokes' where the punchline is "girls play games!!! lol!!!"

I would definitely like more games like Dragon Age: Origins - immersive, story..."

the whole point was to make fun of how guys see girls that play games, that's why in the begining I wrote [from a guy's POV]

and please understand i never mentioned the fact that girls play to pick up guys or to show uber skill (althgrough they have those)

message 20: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments Vicky wrote: "You missed the major archetype of the girl gamer that has an army of male gamers wrapped around her finger that farm or level alts for her with no reward other than hearing her sweet voice in vent...."

"The author himself refused to mention the nasty ones" no, i don't think i missed them

message 21: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments and i believe i need to explain few points:
1) "the fierce one" is just a skilled player that might even try pro-gaming.
2) if i decide to powerlevel a character it's regardless of gender and i would help anyone if i see they deserve to be helped (don't insult people in chat, don't steel the kills) And I'm sooo sorry for having high level characters and using them to help others reach the fun part of the game.
3) the 'friendly one' might refere to both genders, i just noticed girls are bether at managing guilds and teamplaing.
4)the 'shy one' doesn't pick up guys, not even among the ones she befriends, and the mic becomes handy when doing raids and in other situation where comunication might prevent an enemy ambush ( i was farming in a pvp are whith my guild and if it wasn't for a sentinel on the look-out we'd be wiped out). But 80% 'the shy' one, happens to have a lovely voice.
Regardless of anything, people that launch a game, do it to have fun and that will never change

message 22: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments and honestly, I, myself, was sexually harassed in tell, for having a female avatar. When i replied that I'm a dude, the pervert freaked out

message 23: by RogueHireling (new)

RogueHireling (rogue_hireling) | 76 comments Boobies, really? Ugh. Because girl gamers have nothing else to offer then a body part? Really?

Does the gamer guy get the 'inborn ability' of Penis, which makes all the blood drain out of his head at the sight of 'boobies' and give him a -10 int debuff?

Again, UGH!

message 24: by Kamil (last edited Jun 12, 2012 12:07AM) (new)

Kamil | 938 comments TFGamer wrote: "Boobies, really? Ugh. Because girl gamers have nothing else to offer then a body part? Really?

Does the gamer guy get the 'inborn ability' of Penis, which makes all the blood drain out of his head..."

no!!!! the 'ability' is an irony of how some guys react to the fact the gamer is a girl

message 25: by Rachel (last edited Jun 12, 2012 12:12AM) (new)

Rachel | 89 comments If you want to poke fun at cats, you write about cats. You don't write about how dogs behave in odd ways, and then turn around say you were *really* just trying to make fun of cats. Because all you've done is rehash the same stereotypes that practically every woman who's pulled up to the gaming table or signed onto Xbox Live has gotten slapped in the face with. If you want to poke fun at gamer guys, write about gamer guys.

message 26: by Seawood (new)

Seawood | 176 comments Does no-one else get tired of the "girl" gamer appellation, or am I just old and grumpy? I'm 36, ffs. I'm a woman who likes to game. Big deal. My children are "girls" - they're six and two. *They* are girl gamers (or will be). Stop trying to make me sound trendy, damnit! :P

TFGamer wrote: "Does the gamer guy get the 'inborn ability' of Penis, which makes all the blood drain out of his head..."
On a side-tangent I presume many of you will have seen this: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/05/15... The "inborn ability of penis" comment reminded me of it. And made me laugh, thanks :)

message 27: by Megan (new)

Megan (Megsimadic) | 23 comments Well I have been a gamer since I was little and was pretty much damned to being classed a tom-boy in school because of this, my lack of wearing makeup and most of my friends being male. Gaming is my pass time and so I just try to shrug off most the stereotypical rubbish. This didn't offend me, its supposed to be taken as fun.
Its things like this that offends me. So irritating!

message 28: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments for pete's sake! The gaming industry has a stereotypical view and I wouldn't be surprised if someone would release "sandwich maker"; all i hoped for was a small victory against this moloch by showing it's absurdity in a way that, (at least I hoped for it to be this way), would make someone have fun. If you felt offended I'm seriously sorry but I had enough of this crap and will fight it using any available method to reach equality in gaming.
and if you still don't get my point.... watch this trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK2eI7...
it seems it will be a cool game... but wait! stop at 0:49 what do we see?
freakin' Boobs!
That'sd what I'm facing, but evidentely I'm the one fighting against windmills

message 29: by Michele (last edited Jun 12, 2012 06:36AM) (new)

Michele (mogle) And we've been fighting the industry since we started playing games. You had to expect controversy with this, otherwise you wouldn't have posted that first comment.

Also, this is a good read: Please don't tell me how I should feel oppressed, thanks. Women can choose to be offended by your post, or they can choose to find it funny. You, as author, have no control over their interpretation. Then, of course, there's the fact that to every interaction--be it with humans, books, or video games--we bring something like this with us:

I'm Fine Really by Kate Leth
(Image by Kate Leth of Kate or Die, a NSFW Tumblr blog)

There's so much more wrong with modern video games than the constant flashing of boobs, IMO. But that's *my* baggage talking.

message 30: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (roguefire) | 85 comments Speaking of girl gamers - Felicia put out a cute, simple video yesterday on Geek & Sundry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1-bLm...

It's for whatever reason getting a lot of flack....I for one just like the Lara Croft cosplay she's got going on! :)

And also, I know I was told time and time again that I shouldn't play Dead or Alive 2 on PS2 by guys. "It's not a girls game!". Lesbian aside, I enjoyed the story and how the fighting happened. And I *might* have turned the boobs up to 99, but because it was HILarious! I use to get the same thing with reading superhero comic books until the past few years - now, going to conventions, the amount of women is incredible! Gaming is next...

message 31: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments And sorry, I won't stop using the expresion "gamer girl" for one simple reason: girls ( when it comes to gaming) do it bether. and that's an empiric fact i learned thgrough my life

message 32: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments The lore of gamer guys..

For equality, reason we'll deal whith the annoying aspect of a gamer's life. Guys play games too. This time however we'll not make jokes of stereotypes, but will write the naked thruth.
In D&D there is a race that describes a male gamer : the half-orc barbarians. Ruthless, savage, horny bastards, whith no morale codes. The author itself can't deny it.
In the gaming universe there are many archetypes but howver due to lack of space we'll describe the five most common.
1)„The Big Dog”. You remember your first day in an mmo? You tried to level up but there was that high-level ubergeared guy ( he probably bought the gear whith real money, since farming is too lame for His Mightiness) that stole your kills and made it impossible to gain experience. His purpose in life is to show everyone around how inferior they are when compered to him. He's the archenemy of „the fierce ones” and will be instantly defeated if confronted whith one. He'll use the worst excuse to justify his defeat [ I let her win]. But the truth is.... he's just a no-life that spends the mayority of his time playing. In reality he has no social life or friends ( no one questions why it's this way ).
2„the horny nerd” he plays avatars whith big juggs [ or worse, little lolis] and will use emotes to put the avatar in sexual poses. He harasses any declared girls that play [ while in real life he would shit his pants if a girl would do as much as ask what time it is]. He's the reason „the shy one” might feel uncomfortable during a game. While in a party he often goes afk, but don't expect his reasons to be noble... He just needs to jerk off after the party killed some succubi.
3)„ the troll” He's the master of trolling, the one everyone sooner or later will block [ if the game moderators don't ban him first] He' ll break all chat rules posting sexually and/or racist comments. Will interfere into public discussions and call everyone names. In case he manages to reach high levels, he'll send duel requests to any low level character he might find. Like the borgs, he'll try to assimilate others [ by making them rage burst] and it will take „ the friendly one' to end his reign of trollness. „The troll” might advence into the ranks of scammers.
4)„ The noob” ; this lazy „bloodsucker” might be the reason some guys become trolls [ he migh become one, himself] You won't notice his presence untill you don your highbe gear. [ there must be something in those powerfull items, that attract „the noob” ] and he'll beg you to give him gold, weaponzzz, or armur or even powwwwerlebel him ( the spelling errors are an attempt to emulate „the nubb”'s requests), and he won't accept a no. In case the misfortunate victim tries to leave the area, he will follow. But be warned! Powerleveling this fella, will mostly be a waste of time, since unlike „the newbie”, he will not learn anything from the experience. „The noob” might evolve into a „Gold digger” [when you see someone trying to sell a level 4 sword for 1kk gold, you'll know he's the one.]
5)„ the regular guy”. He might be anything: a skilled pro-gamer, a new player or the member of a guild, or even a lone-wolf hunting mobs. But you'll recognise him by his attitude. In chat he'll help new players, by answering questions about the mechanics of the game, he'll offer his help whith quests. He's just the regular guy that makes the game fun to play. If he ever offers loot to anyone, it will not be to score points or impress someone. His reasons are more simple: he has no need of the item, [ also does not like to sell stuff at markets or auction houses] and rather than disposing of it, he preferes to give it to a friend that might be in need of it.

After the last entry about female gamers, we recieved a lot of letters of complain. And here we wish to make an official statement. We don't support stereotypes, and don't see girls that play games as something trendy or cool. Would you define 'oxygen' as something trendy? No, it's just something natural. We also disregard whith those that said that girls play to pick up guys, we also laugh at the idea of guys looking for a date among the gamers. However we also can't deny that gender is something that can't be overlooked. And since gaming at times requires social interaction, the developement of romantic feelings for your gaming buddy might happen [ just like it happens between co-workers and friends] however if you think you'll find the love of your life by gaming, please shut down your gaming platform and get a freaking life. The only purpose of games is to provide fun, and whoever thinks otherwise will be labeled as heretic and will recieve a visit from our Grand Inquisitors.

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 89 comments girls ( when it comes to gaming) do it bether. and that's an empiric fact i learned thgrough my life

So why not call female gamers just 'gamers', as if that's the accepted default, and call men who game 'male gamers', because they're obviously the inferior class?

message 34: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments Rachel wrote: "girls ( when it comes to gaming) do it bether. and that's an empiric fact i learned thgrough my life

So why not call female gamers just 'gamers', as if that's the accepted default, and call men wh..."

for the same reason, you wouldn't ask an elven bard to translate the song to english.

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 89 comments That reason doesn't make any sense? I have no idea what you're trying to convey with your elven bard analogy.

For the record: I don't think anyone should be called 'female gamer' or 'male gamer'. I think we should just call ourselves 'gamers' and have done.

message 36: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments Rachel wrote: "That reason doesn't make any sense? I have no idea what you're trying to convey with your elven bard analogy.

For the record: I don't think anyone should be called 'female gamer' or 'male gamer'...."

yes, thank you. Finally we aggree

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 89 comments yes, thank you. Finally we aggree

I am confused. In Comment #31, you assert that you will not stop using the term 'gamer girl' because, in your opinion, women are better than men at gaming. When I ask why not reverse the terminology then, you gave me a very nonsensical answer. Now you're saying you agree with my opinion that we should stop making gender A Thing amongst gamers? After the posts which started this thread?

message 38: by RogueHireling (new)

RogueHireling (rogue_hireling) | 76 comments Kamil wrote: "no!!!! the 'ability' is an irony of how some guys react to the fact the gamer is a girl
"

The disturbing thing is that the gamer girl ability is not only a body part, but it works only in relation to a guy. So its not about the girl, its about the guy. AGAIN.

message 39: by RogueHireling (new)

RogueHireling (rogue_hireling) | 76 comments Caroline wrote: "On a side-tangent I presume many of you will have seen this: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/05/15... The "inborn ability of penis" comment reminded me of it. And made me laugh, thanks :)
"

I had not seen this and its hilarious! Thanks for sharing. =)

message 40: by Jeffery (last edited Jun 12, 2012 02:02PM) (new)

Jeffery Sargent (TheSarge) | 168 comments Kamil Wrote: yes, thank you. Finally we aggree

Then Rachel Wrote: I am confused. In Comment #31, you assert that you will not stop using the term 'gamer girl' because, in your opinion, women are better than men at gaming. When I ask why not reverse the terminology then, you gave me a very nonsensical answer. Now you're saying you agree with my opinion that we should stop making gender A Thing amongst gamers? After the posts which started this thread? "

I generally use gamer as neutral, and only specify girl or boi if it's helpfully indicative, or if I'm being whimsical ("I'm a fogbelt boy, myself" or "So, you're a bourbon girl, eh?").

I'm just glad I didn't start the kerfuffle this time.

message 41: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 72 comments I'm not judging, but this seems like the wrong place and time for this post. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion om female gamers and on what they consider funny, but with yesterday's hate on both Felicia Day AND female gamers over at YouTube this was not really the kind of post I wanted to stumble across here at the VF board.
Yes, I know this is board that is open to both male and female readers/fans and I really like that! I think the gender issue never really got in the way of friendly and respectful discussions (as a matter of fact, I think the mutual respect is more present here than what I'm faced with in my day to day life) but I'm pretty sure a large majority of members here are female.
I don't know what it's like for others, but when I visit the board I really enjoy the fact that it's a pretty empowering environment for women, a little slice of virtual space where women can speak their mind about topics without the male oppression that is often still present in general. So yeah, coming here to find this post... it kind of felt like even here, someone had to come rub it in that they consider female gamers different from male gamers. And that kind of ticks me off.
It may not have been the intention to offend people, and if yesterday hadn't happened I might have taken it more lightly. Today, not so much though. Sorry.

message 42: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery Sargent (TheSarge) | 168 comments TFGamer wrote: "Boobies, really? Ugh. Because girl gamers have nothing else to offer then a body part? Really?

Does the gamer guy get the 'inborn ability' of Penis, which makes all the blood drain out of his head..."

I think that got thrown out in Beta, along with the rest of the "gender passives"...

message 43: by Samantha (last edited Jun 12, 2012 03:30PM) (new)

Samantha | 76 comments @Patricia I have to agree.

Yes there are "Types of Female Gamers" and "Types of Male Gamers" and "Types of Idiot Gamers" but mostly the girls just want to play a freaking game.

This may also have me a little touchy on the subject: http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanu...

message 44: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery Sargent (TheSarge) | 168 comments Patricia wrote: "I don't know what it's like for others, but when I visit the board I really enjoy the fact that it's a pretty empowering environment for women, a little slice of virtual space where women can speak their mind about topics without the male oppression that is often still present in general."

Ohh talk about trigger words and phrases.

[snip I am SO not going there. See, I have self control]

I am very sorry you've been made to feel this way.

message 46: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nanceebee) | 56 comments Honstly I found this funny on both girl/boy gamer's, mostly because I've seen it 'in game'... every person has a gaming personality period.. (i.e. myself- friendly, but can kick ass & take names if I need too)
I think, this post was meant to be fun and shouldn't be taken so seriously as a DIG to the females..

Big dogs/trolls in either gender is sooo tiresome... and the noob, who's not really a newbie but is too lazy to bother doing things for his or her self, ugh... met many of those!

I've met gamer's female and male alike that get totally b*tchy at you for not being the absolute best, and talk crap.. and to them I say it's my game! I'll play how I want, when I want, and how much I feel like... and honestly I've gotten most of that additude from girls, and then it's like bug off.. most guys I've played with really just want a kickass team/raid mate.

You should play how you want stereotype or not, why let it bother you just play... a good player is a good player

message 47: by Kamil (last edited Jun 13, 2012 01:46AM) (new)

Kamil | 938 comments Patricia wrote: "I'm not judging, but this seems like the wrong place and time for this post. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion om female gamers and on what they consider funny, but with yesterday..."

first of all, I don't use the term gamer girl, in a sexist way. I would call someone that killed a dragon a dragonslayer even if that might be considered offensive. The only distinction I make when it comes to gender is that the girl will be a bether player. For example, let's say I'm leading a party that will be raiding a dungeon whith hard to kill mobs; and let's say there is one spot available, and i have to choose between a gamer girl and a guy [ let's assume they have same class and level]. In this situation i would emtrust the life [ and an eventual experience loss] in the hand of the girl. Because from past experience i know girls play bether.
And speaking of the 'Gamer Girl, Country Boy' song [ which just between you and me, I loved], this post was written before those shitfaced-trolls started hating. I gave them a proper reply, that I feel the need to post here

"you can call yourself a hardcore gamer once you'll beat The master using a Powerfist ( hint: the game is fallout 1) and after you defeat Doskias ( hint: play 'Septerra core") or once you finish the "trial of the luremaster' expansion for icewind dale. And if you like FPS finish painkiller on Nightmer. You prefere rts? i dare you to finish knights&merchants" Just because zouąre a no life that spends his dazs grinding in WoW, zouąre not zet qualified to be a hardcore gamer"

it was a reply i left to this shitty a-hat's comment
"I'm not h8in but that's a good point. Considering how much she has on her plate she is not a gamer. I get she loves the idea of it but like she would ever kick any of our asses in CS 1,6, Allods, Q3,BF3, WoW...........................­ "
so please try to understand my intention. It's people like those that flamed on youtube that were the target of my whole post.

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 68 comments Okay, I thought the first post pretty hilarious. It gave me a good laugh. I wasn't offended, except that you missed one crucial stereotype!

The decorator - this gamer spends vast amounts of time at the create a character screen trying to get just the right combination of eye/skin/face/other attribute. Only to find out at the end of 3hrs that her character name is already taken!!!

When she finally settles on her second much inferior handle - she spends the rest of the time in the game fishing and/or hoarding gold to support her 5hr a day habit of redecorating her ship/house/guild hall/cave/wagon whatever.

You can easily spot her in the game world as she is the only person stumbling around like a drunk. This is because she hasn't figured out how to control the Y axis with her mouse/joystick. Be kind to her. :)

We can all point to the different stereotypes because they do exist. But that doesn't mean Kamil thinks that all gamers (girls or otherwise) only fall into these categories.

I don't really understand why people are finding this offensive - the descriptions are pretty spot on and funny. As long as you enjoy your time gaming, doesn't really matter what group you DO fall into.

Me personally, whenever I load up the 'create a character' screen, my partner will make an off-hand comment about it being my personal 'mini-game'. And yes, I have literally taken 3hrs at that screen. :P But it's just as enjoyable for me as the actual game!

message 49: by Michele (last edited Jun 13, 2012 07:47AM) (new)

Michele (mogle) I mostly think there's some bad timing with this, especially after the attacks on Feminist Frequency and FD's latest music video. While many of us have experienced verbal assaults to a lesser degree, I don't think any of us have experienced anything to *that* level, and it makes us feel unsafe and defensive to even have witnessed it (and our sorrow and sympathy goes to the women who suffered it). Then, in one of our "internet safe houses"--as VF has come to be for many of us--we see this post, and while I wouldn't call it overtly offensive, it's not exactly *right* either. If his later posts are to be taken into account, female gamers were meant to take it as an underhanded compliment (I guess).

I don't know, I think my emotions are too complex on this issue after the past week or so of discussions of rape culture in video games and horrible trolling of female gamers.

message 50: by Alex (new)

Alex (Trienco) | 80 comments Lisa wrote: "And yes, I have literally taken 3hrs at that screen. "

I will now never admit to how much time I spent being overwhelmed by Oblivions character creation or how much time I spent on getting plates to be in just the right place or putting the endless amounts of weapons and armor sets on display. (Twice as embarrassing in a single player game, where nobody will ever see it... but I would just KNOW, that this fork isn't properly placed).

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread