The Book Challenge discussion

a-m > Katy's 2009 Book Challenge

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katy (last edited Apr 03, 2009 08:30AM) (new)

Katy | 7 comments I don't have very much time to read, and to be honest my pace is somewhat lethargic compared to so many others... so I'm shooting for a total of 30 books in 2009, many of which I've intended to read for years.

I'm starting out the year re-reading The Lord of the Rings since I finally finished The Silmarillion last year and also just finished my second read of The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again. The rest of the year was chosen from my enormous To-Read list, but is subject to change. I'm open to suggestions!

1. The Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien
2. The Two Towers - J.R.R. Tolkien
3. The Return of the King - J.R.R. Tolkien

4. Hedda Gabler - Henrik Johan Ibsen
5. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
6. Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris
7. The Plough and the Stars - Sean O'Casey
8. Pygmalion - George Bernard Shaw
9. Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas - Chuck Klosterman
10. Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis
11. Realityland: True-life Adventures at Walt Disney World - David Koenig
12. John Bull's Other Island - George Bernard Shaw
13. Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift REPLACED: The Man Who Ate Everything - Jeffrey Steingarten
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
15. Outlaw Cook - John Thorne

message 3: by Katy (new)

Katy | 7 comments Here's THE SHELF I've created for my list.

message 4: by Katy (new)

Katy | 7 comments Finished the Lord of the Rings again, and I'm so glad I took the time for a second read. The details stand out so much more when the plot basics are already known. I feel like I've discovered Tolkien all over again. Everything felt new, but in a different way. I don't know, can't describe it.

Anyway... 3 books down, 11 months to go.

message 5: by Katy (new)

Katy | 7 comments Jumped ahead and the read The Crucible, because Hedda Gabler was not available at the library. I finished it in less than 2 days... what a fascinating play. I seriously love Arthur Miller. I know that's cliche, but I just don't care. I have to admit though, I was a little disappointed to discover that in real life Abigail wasn't a lying whore (at least as far as we know). Would be so much more satisfying if Miller's account were true.

message 6: by Katy (new)

Katy | 7 comments Started reading Gulliver's Travels. Hated it. Dreaded reading more of it. Swapped it out with The Man Who Ate Everything. Never been happier.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Plough and the Stars (other topics)
The Hobbit (other topics)
The Lord of the Rings (other topics)
Outlaw Cook (other topics)
Pygmalion (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

C.S. Lewis (other topics)
Charles Dickens (other topics)
David Sedaris (other topics)