Q&A with Josh Lanyon discussion

Magic Mansion
This topic is about Magic Mansion
Book of the Month Club > June 2012: Magic Mansion

Comments (showing 51-65 of 65) (65 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Josephine Myles (josephine_myles) | 26 comments I LOVED The Illusionist - Edward Norton! I've had a major crush on him ever since Fight Club *sighs* The Illusionist was a great film - beautifully shot and understated. I hope even though it didn't make big money at the box office it becomes a cult classic - it definitely deserves that status.

Lou Harper | 1405 comments Josephine wrote: "I LOVED The Illusionist - Edward Norton! I've had a major crush on him ever since Fight Club *sighs* The Illusionist was a great film - beautifully shot and understated. I hope even though it didn'..."

Have you seen The Painted Veil? If not, you should. I bet you'd like it.

Reggie | 961 comments Yeah, it's a family Fav. We have trouble finding films for all three generations, but this one works for everyone. It's great watching it with newbies, their expressions as the story unfolds- priceless!!

Allison (AAH92) | 43 comments "Josephine said: I also have zero interest in reality tv (although magic fascinates me) - I find it wonderful when an author can take a topic I don't care for and make it so appealing. I'm still not watching Big Brother, though. Ugh!"

Ha, I know I've heard of that show but I'm not even sure what it is!

"Reggie said: It did get me in the mood to re-watch The Illusionist! If you haven't seen it- check it out-"

What about The Prestige - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482571/

message 55: by Allison (last edited Jun 29, 2012 10:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Allison (AAH92) | 43 comments "Josephine said: I also have zero interest in reality tv (although magic fascinates me) - I find it wonderful when an author can take a topic I don't care for and make it so appealing. I'm still not watching Big Brother, though. Ugh!"

Ha, I know I've heard of that show but I'm not even sure what it is!

"Reggie said: It did get me in the mood to re-watch The Illusionist! If you haven't seen it- check it out-"

What about The Prestige - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482571/

Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman... :0) And I suppose I shouldn't have liked it since it is about magic but how can you not like a movie with them in it? I loved the music too actually.

Josephine Myles (josephine_myles) | 26 comments I haven't seen the Painted Veil, Lou - I'll have to check it out (and The Prestige, although Christian Bale will forever give me major creeps because whenever I see him I always think of that naked chainsaw scene in American Psycho)

Big Brother was the original "lock a bunch of nobodies in a house and vote them off one by one" show - and it's British. We have that to be proud of, at any rate... :-/

Allison (AAH92) | 43 comments "Josephine said: and The Prestige, although Christian Bale will forever give me major creeps because whenever I see him I always think of that naked chainsaw scene in American Psycho)"

I was lucky that I'd seen him in other things prior to that I guess. Love Edward Norton too.

"Josephine said: Big Brother was the original "lock a bunch of nobodies in a house and vote them off one by one" show - and it's British. We have that to be proud of, at any rate... :-/ "

As we have the fact that we seem to only get new TV show ideas by stealing them from British TV to be proud of. ;0)

Josephine Myles (josephine_myles) | 26 comments Allison wrote: As we have the fact that we seem to only get new TV show ideas by stealing them from British TV to be proud of. ;0)

Heh - I think we're very lucky with the way the BBC is paid for - it allows much more leeway and creativity as projects don't have to be commercial. I do love the BBC!

Anna (AnnaVZ) | 33 comments I loved this book. The plot, the MCs... it's unusual and beautiful. Nothing under- and overdone. Couldn't read it in one day - I had to stop somewhere and get some sleep - it was almost impossible to do. :)
I'd really like to be more specific, but unfortunately I have great difficulties with expressing myself in English, reading is another story...

Karen | 1786 comments I read the ebook shortly after it was released. I’d read the first offering from JCP’s newsletter, but opted out of the voting. I also am one who dislikes/doesn’t watch reality shows. I’m even a bit of a snob about it, but mainly uncomfortable with witnessing humiliation (which makes some of my BDSM-themed reading an interesting challenge). I tend to avoid competition/competiveness and am reluctant judge, angsting over every report card I write. And I often prefer to wait until a series or season is complete to read or watch it in one swoop. So bringing all this to the reading table, I was delighted that JCP again worked her magic and so deftly engaged my attention and admiration.

Enjoyed reading this discussion, and agree with so many of your observations. I also was expecting the use of True Magic to have some dire (temporarily, in a romance) consequences, and was actually relieved when it didn’t play out that way. What particularly stood out for me is how convincing and natural the love-across-age-gap is written. This is so seldom the case, and I find myself suppressing niggles when I’m really enjoying a story but have to admit that there’s something “questionable” about, for instance, teenagers being romanced by vampires with decades or centuries more experience. (That said, I confess indulging in the very guilty pleasures — a slash writers’ dream-cast — of Vampire Diaries TV.)

Calathea wrote: "He didn't feel old to me, more like out of touch with today's world or maybe like he was in some kind of emotional stasis after the death of his partner. "

That's it exactly!

message 61: by Johanna (last edited Jul 02, 2012 04:21AM) (new)

Johanna | 78 comments Wow- I loved a book with cheesey magicians, reality-tv and a 30 year ago gap.

I had similar observations to those already expressed. I thought she wove the details of the competition and supporting cast characterizations amazingly well.

Thanks again for the recommendation - I have deliberately bypassed that book daily since it came out. I am glad I took a chance:)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13258 comments Reggie wrote: "Okay, great confessions....I didn't finish it. {hangs head} It just didn't GRAB me. I think it's because I've been reading more character driven stories lately. I think I just haven't been in the ..."

It's okay! If participation here has taught me one thing, it's that every book is not for every reader. No harm no foul -- on anyone's part!

One thing I find fascinating (from a writerly perspective) is how JCP can tap into current, trendy themes and motifs. I really do envy her that. Reality TV, magic...she's always got her fingers on the pulse of what's hot right now. Whatever it is, she makes it fun and reader-accessible.

This is not to say that we readerly types are not always on the cutting edge of What's Hot Now. Er...well, maybe it is. :-D Speaking solely for myself!

Allison (AAH92) | 43 comments "Josephine said: Heh - I think we're very lucky with the way the BBC is paid for - it allows much more leeway and creativity as projects don't have to be commercial. I do love the BBC!"

We do watch a lot of BBC America but I'm sure that's not the same as the real thing. :0) Someday we'll make it there & I'll get to experience it!

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 5145 comments Gosh consider me late to the game. I forgot to comment. But, it seems pretty much all I have to say has already been said!

I also hate reality TV. Though I'm not really for or against magicians. I was more worried about the television aspect, but she nailed it, and dragged me in, and I loved it.

and I loved reading your comments. This story was so visual in my head that just reading your comments brought those scenes back to be in a flash.

I read it in serial format and now have the print version ordered and on its way to me right now. I'm wondering what the difference would be to read it all at once, versus a few chapters per month?

I think for me, getting through those long-ish scene descriptions was easy because I wasn't reading them all in a short period of time. I also read them as part of the "ambiance" of reality TV.

Huge age differences usually do squick me out, and most of the time, it's never good for me. But this time, yeah, I was hooked and rooting for them by the middle of the book.

Oh yeah, and the cover is just beeeeasssuuuutiful! One of the main reasons I got it in print rather than ebook. When I picture the action happening in my head, I always saw those bright, magical colors she used on the cover.

ok, there's my comment. Finally. lol.

Reggie | 961 comments Finished it this weekend, AMAZING!!!! I was so caught up in the story I didn't stop and analyze the stunts, just enjoyed it all. I was taken for a magical ride and enjoyed every minute it. Thanks

« previous 1 2 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Magic Mansion (other topics)