Insurgent (Divergent, #2) Insurgent discussion

Confused about the ending?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 72) (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Olivia *warning, this contains spoilers*
So, regarding the ending, I understand that Tris went into Erudite to get the top secret information before the Factionless could destroy all of Erudite but I am confused about the video presentation thing at the end. From what I understand, the woman that speaks to them is the leader of a society outside of the faction system where she has separated her society from theirs, the faction driven society, because she knew of their inevitable downfall. Is this correct? I've reread this part multiple times and I'm not sure if I'm missing something or not. Also, she refers to herself as Edith Prior at the end, this must mean she has a link to Tris with the common "Prior" last name so is this Tris' mother or..? Sorry if this is really obvious I just seem to have a hard time following. Anyone care to help? What were your opinions on this whole surprise ending thing?

themikko Nobody knows for sure. That's why you need to read the third book. It's called BUSINESS.

Nessa Lynn themikko wrote: "Nobody knows for sure. That's why you need to read the third book. It's called BUSINESS."

best answer ever.

Natalie I don't think Edith is her mother, because Tris said that she looked familiar. If it was her mom, Tris would have said: "Hey, it's my mom." It must be someone who is just closely related to her, so she would probably look close to her mom, or dad. Maybe it is her grandmother, or her greatgrandmother. We will find out in the third book, I'm sure.
And Edith was a part of the outside world, outside of the factions. I think the video was made at the beginning of the factions being made. The outside world was being destroyed, and they thought that creating this factioned world help. they would create the factions based on the virtues they found to be important, and then gave the factioned world a fake history so the people living in it wouldn't know the real reason behind it. once a large amount of people started possessing more than one of these good traits on their own, (divergent) it would mean that it's time to tell them the truth and let them outside the fence and save the world. (how they will save the world, is also something we will have to wait for in the third book)
the Erudite didn't like this idea, and wanted to stay in their factions, which is why they were killing Divergents. If there are no Divergents, then they stay in their factioned world.
that's what I got out of it, anyway

Marly Murphy Father: Andrew Prior
Mother: Natalie Prior
Brother (older): Caleb Prior
Grandmother: Edith Prior

http://divergent.wikia.com/wiki/Tris_...

Gi Gi cheers, I understand now x thanks x

Shannon I got the feeling of a different take on M. Night Shyamalan's The Village. Where it is present day outside the gates, but a group of people created the fractions in order to try to save the world. I am excited to see though!

Michelle And also rember when Tris's mother was saving her in the first book. She said Natalie's mother was a divergent leader. Also in the 2nd book the sumilation said "2nd generation" so if her grandmother started this then had Natalie and then she had Tris, she would be the 2nd generation of the fractions. So I think its her grandmother and her group started the fractions for some reason. I for one have not figured THAT out yet. so any help for that one? lol great book looking forward for the next.

∷〚 Mα∂∂у◦ 〛∷ I think it said in the end of Insurgent, they created the fractions because the world had become to "evil" I guess, cant think of the word for it right now. They created the fractions to try to restore sanity to people.
Do you remember when they saw the pictures of dead people? I think that was from outside the fence. People are becoming insane and the world is falling apart. The people in the fractions are suppost to restore "peace" to the people outside. Make them sane again. To keep the people from killing eachother?

I'm not too sure. Hope this helps

Gi Gi but like how are a group of sane people all of a sudden ment to make the whole world - or just america - like normal again, i mean its not like they can catch being divergent, so hows it gonna work?

and the world is like a big big place to cure for what a few hundred people?

i loved the book though x soooo mmmuuuucccchhhh!!

Msgrosarina doesn't this rings too much of maze runner??? I HOPE NOT!!!!!

Gi Gi Msgrosarina wrote: "doesn't this rings too much of maze runner??? I HOPE NOT!!!!!"

i havent read the maze runner x why is it similar to this book?

Michelle Maze Runner is a good seires also, i havent read the last two books but i dont get the feeling they have the whole story the same. They do have simalars tho.

Gi Gi Oh right x I loved this book!! I might read the Maze Runner then x :P

∷〚 Mα∂∂у◦ 〛∷ Im currently reading the maze runner, please dont spoil anything! :) haha

Msgrosarina sorry for the spoilers! I loved the first book of the maze runner trilogy and I think that it is worth reading eventhough I hated the second and third one. Anyways It is just a feeling, i could elaborate more but I can't without spoiling it so... Read maze runner and then we create a group for that discussion!!! =)

Gi Gi Oh that would acc be so cool x :P

Shannon Edith Prior was Tris's grandmother. After finishing Insurgent I was perusing the discussion feeds and saw this question posted. Eager to know the answer I read quite a few until I viewed a posting that listed the characters and their brief description as well as the link to the original post by the author. Tris and her family were at the top of this list that included Edith Prior as her grandmother. I'm certain it was on her website: http://veronicarothbooks.blogspot.com/ but without searching through the last several months of posting I can't find it. I also tried to find the original Goodreads post but so far no luck. I'll edit this post once I can locate it.

∷〚 Mα∂∂у◦ 〛∷ Msgrosarina wrote: "sorry for the spoilers! I loved the first book of the maze runner trilogy and I think that it is worth reading eventhough I hated the second and third one. Anyways It is just a feeling, i could el..."

Ok!!!! :)

message 20: by Dale (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dale Z Of course they'll tell us what happens in the 3rd book.

Msgrosarina Maddy wrote: "Msgrosarina wrote: "sorry for the spoilers! I loved the first book of the maze runner trilogy and I think that it is worth reading eventhough I hated the second and third one. Anyways It is just a..."
great! start reading the maze runner! I will start following you and when you are done we'll see each other in the next maze runner group =)

message 22: by Cady (new)

Cady I read all the maze runner books and they dont seem to ring a bell
*spoiler below*
because they were being TESTED on for a disease, and were sent through different simulations. Also, because Tris is not really special other than her divergence, but thomas is because he helped create all the tests. Really i only see the simularities between their special in the brain, their REAL society is being destroyed, and they have no memory.
*spoiler above*

I really would consider Insurgent to be closer related to the hunger games, but probs not the third book.

message 23: by Momo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Momo i can see how some people think the maze runner and divergent are a lot alike but f u read them u will find they are two different series !! but both of them are great.

message 24: by Momo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Momo *if you

∷〚 Mα∂∂у◦ 〛∷ Msgrosarina wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Msgrosarina wrote: "sorry for the spoilers! I loved the first book of the maze runner trilogy and I think that it is worth reading eventhough I hated the second and third one. Anyway..."

Sounds good!! :)

Gi Gi yeah x i need to get it now x and a boys the main character i think x so thats cool x

message 27: by Cady (new)

Cady Maddy wrote: "Msgrosarina wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Msgrosarina wrote: "sorry for the spoilers! I loved the first book of the maze runner trilogy and I think that it is worth reading eventhough I hated the second a..."

hmmm.......uh why the "X"s?

Msgrosarina Cady wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Msgrosarina wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Msgrosarina wrote: "sorry for the spoilers! I loved the first book of the maze runner trilogy and I think that it is worth reading eventhough I hate..."
sorry, don´t get the question...

Laney i think it involves them being divergent and how their immune to the serum because maybe everyone got something and made them go crazy something like the simulation serum so they wanted humanity to evolve and be immune to whatever happened...maybe that's where the serum came from??and i have never read the maze runner but from review and stuff i know kind what happens... if outside the fence is flesh eating zombies i will DIE i am a Zombiephobic

Gi Gi Cady wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Msgrosarina wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Msgrosarina wrote: "sorry for the spoilers! I loved the first book of the maze runner trilogy and I think that it is worth reading eventhough I hate..."

oh thats whaat i do when i text so i guess i forgot... sorry??

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Nat wrote: "I don't think Edith is her mother, because Tris said that she looked familiar. If it was her mom, Tris would have said: "Hey, it's my mom." It must be someone who is just closely related to her, so..."

That makes so much sense!!!

Msgrosarina Gabrielle wrote: "Cady wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Msgrosarina wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Msgrosarina wrote: "sorry for the spoilers! I loved the first book of the maze runner trilogy and I think that it is worth reading even..."

no problem =)

message 33: by Cady (new)

Cady ha! i love the "gabrielle wrote: cady wrote: maddy wrote: msgrosarina wrote: maddy wrote: msgrosarina wrote:

lmfao u guys crack me up

Blujeanbooks96 My understanding is that there was no such thing as an 'inside the fence and outside the fence' thing. There was a society that was beginning to become self destructive, so it was decided to send a selection of people inside the wall with new identities to create a society where people obey values and sort themselves into factions. Upon the rising of people who are not compeltely suited to one faction, it was time for peopel to re-enter the outside society - hopefully better off.

Darlalala If Edith Prior is Tris' grandma, then Edith is Andrew's (Tris' father) mom. Because "Prior" is the surname of Andrew and Natalie's surname has been changed to Prior because she married Andrew. But originally, it was Andrew who has Prior as surname.

Alisha Rosey I absolutely loved these books; read both of them in one weekend, very naughty of me yes I know. After being too hasty and addicted, I re-read them and just finished tonight. I think most of what you guys say about the ending is right. I can't wait to read the third book but am gutted that we have to wait till next autumn for it to have been completed.:'(. I hope the final book will live up to the others! I'm curious now, however, as to how different it will be now.

message 37: by Jessica (last edited Dec 06, 2012 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica I always picture this community running a lot longer than just 3 generations. I think of all the -isms (racism, sexism, religion-ism) and how after generation after generation we still have problems with them so is 3 generations really enough time lapse. I think this community should be going on much longer than that but we will find out in do time.

Alight back to working on my time machine. If I finish it before the book comes out I'll try to explain further in a no-spoiler way :D

FantasySheBeast999 Nessa wrote: "themikko wrote: "Nobody knows for sure. That's why you need to read the third book. It's called BUSINESS."

best answer ever."

that is totally the best answer ever

message 39: by Hec (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hec Hernandez yes tris last name is prior and tht as her mom its so obvious, cause her mom never talked tht much about her faction tht she grew up

Amanda Jessica wrote: "I always picture this community running a lot longer than just 3 generations. I think of all the -isms (racism, sexism, religion-ism) and how after generation after generation we still have problem..."

This. As I was reading, I had the impression that the faction society had been established a lot longer than three generations prior (pun not intended). It seems to me that for a society to change and produce enough divergent to re-enter the outside world, it would take more than two succeeding generations to accomplish that. I'd be more willing to accept that Tris' grandmother was named after an ancestor and that it became a common name in the Prior family. I suspect this probably won't be the case when revealed in the third book though, but at this point I think it would be more believable.

message 41: by Erin (last edited Dec 18, 2012 07:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Auden wrote: "*warning, this contains spoilers*
So, regarding the ending, I understand that Tris went into Erudite to get the top secret information before the Factionless could destroy all of Erudite but I am ..."

I understood it as Tris's grandmother was Edith Prior, but as mentioned in the video she was wiped of all memorys. It would also make sense then why Tris is Divergent and able to do what she can do

Ifrah Alia i think the factioned society is what was being created and the society that Tris lives in is what was being seperated from the rest of the world or country as an experiment because the rest of the world/country seems to be in chaos of some sort.

I'm not sure if that's what you were saying....

Sophie Marly wrote: "Father: Andrew Prior

http://divergent.wikia.com/wiki/Tris_..."

Tots, that is the relationship I thought of! :)

message 44: by Regan (new)

Regan Bradley Darlalala wrote: "If Edith Prior is Tris' grandma, then Edith is Andrew's (Tris' father) mom. Because "Prior" is the surname of Andrew and Natalie's surname has been changed to Prior because she married Andrew. But ..."
If you recall, when Tris was talking about Evelyn and Marcus' marriage, she said that when 2 people marry they must decide if they want to keep one surname, so either the man changes to the woman's or vice versa, or they choose a different surname entirely. I remember when I read this, I thought "why would Veronica put that in there?", after all, everything in a book was written for a reason. I think thats the reason.... Andrew probably changed his surname to Prior, which was Natalie's original surname, taken from her mother and dauntless leader, Edith. Why else would Veronica randomly explain that if it wasn't relevant later on in the series? I don't know, just thinking out loud....

Ollie If Edith is really her grandmother, then that means that it has only been 2 generations, which then suggests that in the 2 generations, there are enough divergent in the population? Although the hole in that, is that the information was released too early.
But it could also suggest that there are, in fact other areas all over america like Chicago.
Which sort of could make sense, because the title of the third book is "emergent", in that the other communities could emerge into the greater america in an attempt to bring peace back to the corrupt country.

Just a thought

Lennie Marly wrote: "Father: Andrew Prior

http://divergent.wikia.com/wiki/Tris_..."

OMG you just proved me right! (on another convo) you just made my day :')

Kirstyn Interesting how Edith was only her Grandmother, the faction system must not have been around for that long, then.

Ollie To be honest, it could be anything as long as it is written well. So until we read it in october, we will never know.

message 49: by Elisabete (new) - added it

Elisabete Cristina Sorry for my bad English.

What I understand is that humans arrived at a point where the self-destruction was inevitable. Where there was more compassion and human life was worthless.
If something is not worth anything because they destroy? And kill not meant anything, so the description of the woman killing the guy is so cold and emotionless.
They kept people so they could figure out a way to consider each other more, to see what other people are also important. I assume you created the faction system so that people who had similar saw and value their peers. In addition to respect others because all work together to form a whole.
I made a link with Nazism, Hitler preached that his race was the only important that the other must die. They killed Jews and did tests with them, not treating them as human beings, I think the video shown is something in this line.
Imagine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQZoYR... see this video and find out that ALL humans are consistent with this thinking and acting as well. I feel disgusting, sad and ungrounded. That is why it is shocking, and it looks that this is our reality that already exists violence, imagine that in their reality that these things did not exist until recently.
I think the issue here is about saving the world, saving human life, save the human values ​​that are preached by factions: the Selflessness, Friendship, the audacity, the frankness and Erudition.
Now how this will happen, as the outside world is the reflection of all that in today's society is that we will see in the next book. And I'm looking forward to it.

message 50: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann A. Auden wrote: "*warning, this contains spoilers*
So, regarding the ending, I understand that Tris went into Erudite to get the top secret information before the Factionless could destroy all of Erudite but I am ..."

ok i just finished this book and went back 2 check that thing about Edith Prior 'cause i was confused to. But when Tris is interrogated by the Candor, she is asked for her parents' names and they are Andrew and Natalie Prior. so Edith is probably her grandmother.

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Insurgent (other topics)
Allegiant (other topics)