The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #13) The End discussion

anyone else who found the ending to this series incredibly dissapointing?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 85) (85 new)    post a comment »

Emma the Dork cuz i did. i cried, i cried, and then i cried a bit more. and you dont learn any of the secrets!!!! i know he intended it to be that way, but that doesnt meant its not annoying!!!! and sad!! and heartbreaking!! i just wish he gave you the assurance that they had a happy ending....i love these books, but who does he think he is, shakespeare?

message 2: by Ben (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben I too was very dissapointed. I have reviewed this. Instead of answers to all our questions, all we got was a crappy island. This could have been ended much better

Emma the Dork i know. it was awful. what about the sugar bowl? and when olaf dies you dont get any satisfaction out of it cuz through the whole book u see a side of him that isnt bad.........UGH

Daniel Evans I also found it to be a bit of a let down. Through the series, lightbulbs would go off, and I kept piecing together certain things, and imagined how clever of an ending it would be. I'm sorry Mr. Snicket, but I feel this last book kind of went off the path of the main point of the series, be it most unfortunate...

message 5: by Nick (new)

Nick it wrapped up some loose ends (the baudelaire parents) but opened up others (what happened to the quagmires) I liked the book but the ending was dissapointing

Sarah What I loved about it was how everything made sense with just one word:

Beatrice

Tatiana yes! i read it, and after finishing the last books, i look at it and said "what?!?!?!? that can't be the end!!!!!!!!!!!" it was very disappointing. i hope he writes another book, one which wraps it all up. i hate not know all the secrets!!!! ggrrr

Kate I doub it, seeing as this book was labeled 'The END'. I finished the book, sat there confused, reread the last page, and reread it again. I couldn't believe he ended it so horribly. Quigly Quagmire was my favorite character and you don't know what happened to him or his siblings.

What about Olaf? I should have been fist pumping the air when he FINALLY died, but I couldn't. Was it because he was actually somewhat decent at the end of this book? Perhaps.

Lemony SNicket could have made such a clever and wonderful ending out of this book but decided not to. One side of me says that he got tired of the series and gave up. Another says that he though it would be so ingenious to keep the readers guessing, but obviously that backfired didn't it?

message 9: by stormhawk (last edited Apr 01, 2011 07:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

stormhawk The ending was the final unfortunate event.

Jacquel I say that the ending was completely unnecessary.

Putri the ending was AWFUL!! when i finished the last word on this book i thought "okay, is this the end? is this the end?" for so long i've been waiting for the ending of these series and well it was the ending... unfortunately ending just like the whole story.

Hylian Princess I was very disappointed by the ending...
I guess Snicket was just trying to keep up that same secrecy he held throughout the book. His name, for one. I'm sure that's not his own. And his dedications- Those were mysterious too! And the fact that he never tells you the answers to ANYTHING! gr...
I also got the impression that he wasn't just writing an outside narrative. That somehow he, as the author, was still apart of the story.

Meenakshi Emma the Dork wrote: "cuz i did. i cried, i cried, and then i cried a bit more. and you dont learn any of the secrets!!!! i know he intended it to be that way, but that doesnt meant its not annoying!!!! and sad!! and he..."

As far as having a happy ending is concerned.He said that in the very beginning that the book won't have a happy ending
(Source:Read the first two pages of Book the first:The Bad Beginning)

Honestly, I am also dissatisfied with the secrets not being revealed.

message 14: by Jalehn (new) - added it

Jalehn Fulton It was very dissapointing there was alot of mysteries unsloved???????????

Patrizia O I think the final is in perfect harmony with the spirit of the book... I'm sorry that it was the last one: I really miss all the characters that I was fond of!

Meenakshi Patrizia wrote: "I think the final is in perfect harmony with the spirit of the book... I'm sorry that it was the last one: I really miss all the characters that I was fond of!"

I'm totally with you on that one.

Annelyse ok i dont know why i loved the seirs to peices but what i will hate forever is that ending....i hate the point that the quaqmires or what ever their names were, didnt get to live.....and i hate that the lady (forgot her name also) died!!! along with olaf but i hated olaf so i didnt really care much

Annelyse Sarah wrote: "What I loved about it was how everything made sense with just one word:

Beatrice"

nope not to me....i didnt get it when the baby ,or what ever she was,said Beatrice

wait!!!! how do i remember this book so welll??? i read it forever ago

Phoebe i really loved the whole series!!!!! I thought the ending was a bit unfinished but other than that its great!!!

message 20: by Pola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pola I loved the whole series as well.. the ending was twisted and the funny thing is that even after 13 books of complete misery and misfortune no one could predict such an ending.. I mean, isn't this amazing?

message 21: by C9G7 (new) - added it

C9G7 Very bad ending.

Ashley Desotell It was an ending that was a real big shock

Rebecca I remember feeling... confused by the ending but I just kind of expected (and accepted) it given the writing style. So I liked the whole series. i would recommend it even knowing how it ends.

Carita I basiclly grew up with these books and I did expect more out of it, but I think we all kinda knew that it wouldn't be a super happy ending.

message 25: by Christina (last edited May 21, 2011 07:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christina S We are not expecting a good ending, I just wanted something more complicated and then just answering all the questions he made through out the series. Maybe if they finishes making the movies they could do a better job at answer questions.

Agrimorfee This was a fantastic ending that no one who has ever read a "Young Adult" fiction book has EVER expected. Kudos to LS.

Sadie I didn't think it was supposed to be a denoument. I mean, isn't that the point of the books to begin with? There's a cycle. Bad things happen and start ONE person's story and suddenly this whole series of unfortunate events happens to two more people all because of what happened to the first. Every story starts because of another that came before it.

I accepted that I wasn't meant to know it all. No one can tell the WHOLE story, if we look at the books in context, that's the point. There's always a bigger picture and sometimes it's to complicated and long and confusing to explain.

As much as I wanted that "happily ever after," I knew it wasn't coming. How many times were we told to put the books down and go read something more cheerful because the story wasn't getting any better? Snicket/Handler came through on his word. It doesn't get any better. And sometimes life doesn't get any better. In context, these books are remarkable for what they teach, whether people realize it or not. Life isn't fair, sometimes you may experience tragic and unfortunate things, bad people happen to good people, some people don't understand, but the important thing, above all else, is to know that no matter how dark times may seem, you're not alone. These books are so vastly different from Harry Potter, thematically speaking, because while love plays a small role, there is more truth here.

Life happens. There were many stories before we were born, most of which we can never hope to learn. We're always going to be in the dark about something, and the stories of the Baudelaires are no different.

There's just something indescribably magical about this series, in my opinion.

message 28: by Angie (last edited Sep 29, 2011 08:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie Sadie wrote: "In context, these books are remarkable for what they teach, whether people realize it or not. Life isn't fair, sometimes you may experience tragic and unfortunate things, bad people happen to good people, some people don't understand, but the important thing, above all else, is to know that no matter how dark times may seem, you're not alone. These books are so vastly different from Harry Potter, thematically speaking, because while love plays a small role, there is more truth here.
"

You said it, and I agree: Life isn't fair. But apart from learning that no you are not alone, it can show you about having enough courage to deal with dark times even if you are alone and you don't have the perfect Deux Ex Machina to all your troubles.

I also found in a magazine that there are many psychological reasons of why everyone in general prefer the happy endings. Some of them are in order to reduce the stress, feel less miserable, avoid the real world for a time, make think that a "good person"'s denoument will lead to joy and happiness in the end, and that there is always the battle good vs evil where good always win.

To start with, due to the series of Unfortunate Events, one gets the knowledge that when one grows up, the line between good and evil becomes thinner, things that were clear when young become more confusing and blurier, even you doubt of your own actions and you don't know what to do until some point, what is the correct thing to do.

Sadie wrote: "Life happens. There were many stories before we were born, most of which we can never hope to learn. We're always going to be in the dark about something, and the stories of the Baudelaires are no different. "

Totally agree with you. These books are about real life facts. In real life you don't have an omniscient point of view as when you read a book where the narrator can see and knows everything.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

i did. I was expecting it to be alot better, but it really wasn't. it was just not up to par with me.

Ashley I loved these books. It's one of my favorite series. The ending was extremely disappointing. I really wanted a happy ending for the kids....

message 31: by Angie (last edited Oct 02, 2011 10:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie In my case, I haven't find the ending disappointing. It's as in real life.

In fact, I would have hated if the series ended in a "and they lived happily ever after" tone, because the author would have contradicted himself.

message 32: by Noah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Noah Chanthongthip I found that the ending was awesome. It was a huge twist. The last book was the best of them all. Anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy.

message 33: by Noah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Noah Chanthongthip I completely agree with Angie.

message 34: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina I was annoyed that I didn't find much out in the end, but I was satisfied with the ending as well. I found it incredibly sad.

Hannah I guess I'm good with the ending, but if you consider it, it would have been hard to have an ending that everyone loved becuause it would have caused contradiction and because I don't think anyone who loves these books would have wanted the series to end. I mean we all knew the Baudelaire running from Count Olaf plot couldn't last forever, but who wants to leave such a cool story where ingenious solutions are always being brought to life, there's always a greater mystery to solve, and the suspense has you right on the edge? But I sincerely thank Daniel Handler for creating a series that vastly improved my vocabulary, gave me hours of escape, reawakened my love of writing, and for creating a truly unique story that I will pass on to my future children and their children.

Charlotte I loved the series, but the last one sooo dissapointed me

Josiah I actually loved the ending. I mean, sure it didn't answer all the questions, but were you really expecting it to? If everyone thing was all answered, it would just be boring. It'd all be over and there'd be nothing to talk about. That wouldn't be satisfying , would it? I thought Lemony Snicket did a great job of ending it but letting your mind wander about what could have happened. If you really think about it there's no way he could think up an ending that would satisfy everyone. You read all the books in the series for months and so you get your hopes so built up and its nearly impossible to think of something that would satisfy you. Just my opinion on the book. Also I can't wait for his new series which is supposed to be coming out this year!

JulieLaLa I'm glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed with the ending. Sure, I figured it wasn't going to end well, but it ended with me being completely confused and wondering if I was thick because I didn't understand it! Still don't :(

Rosalba Well, it was dissapointing, because I wanted a happy ending, but on the other side if the series finished happily it would contradict itself,and, yes, that's the way life is sometimes with lots of gaps and bewilderment and unresolved questions. But of course I'd like to solve all those questions...

Eyehavenofilter Read my review! I was not happy! But then all of us WERE WARNED!
Weren't we? Repeatedly! That we shouldn't continue reading these books .
That we would be disappointed and after all it WAS " A Series of Unfortunate Events" DOH! Yes I was very disappointed, even the "Beatrice Letters" didn't answer the questions I had. ( grumble grumble complain complain waaaah! ) Ph there I go again ignoring good advice, as usual.
But hey just maybe, a sequel? Shhhh! Don't say it too loud or it won't happen.

Nya Tomlinson-Horan-Malik-Payne-Styles i read the series backwards, so i thought it was great, and the others were BORING

22coconuts I definitely thought these books were amazingly good, but The End was kind of disappointing at the end. I wish Quigley Quagmire had lived and been with Violet. I wish everything had been a little happier.

I'm one of a kind, got nothing to prove i loved the series finished them when i was 11 (im gonna be 13 in may) but the end was dissapointing. i thought there was going to be more to it, we didnt find out what happened. i was frustrated.

CekMoNSter Not me.I think the ending was genius in some way. You see, my read was was a bit spoilt by someone who accidentally told me the ending. he said everyone died, which is actually will be more disappointing if it really happened, so when I read the real ending in this book ,it was a great relief.So yeah, it wasn`t disappointing. It was a happy ending.

message 45: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara I LOVED the ending. Anyone who thought that Snicket would exlain all of the mysteries in the end clearly doesn't know Snicket. I anticipated things not being explained, and I accepted that because, to be honest, if all of the mysteries of VFD and the like were explained, ASOUE would lose its appeal. And I totally called the "twist" with Beatrice and Mrs. Baudelaire a loooong time ago.

Agrimorfee Neesh wrote: "i loved the series finished them when i was 11 (im gonna be 13 in may) but the end was dissapointing. i thought there was going to be more to it, we didnt find out what happened. i was frustrated."

Neesh, read it again later in your life, and you'll get a better grip on it.

Trish Do you think Mrs. Beaudelaire/Snickett was one-sided? Or am I missing something. I hate to think of the Lemony/Beatrice thing as making the kids doubt their parents' relationship.

I'm going to weigh in with an "on the fence" opinion. I thought the ending was very fitting and even kind of exciting, but I do admit I am not in love with authors' leaving readers to fill in large gaps. Even if it was thematically sound and effective. I like guessing, but I like knowing one truth, too.

Andrew The worst book ending ever

message 49: by Rike' (last edited Mar 30, 2012 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rike' I liked the book, but was very disappointed that you didn't learn the secrets. Also, I WANTED TO SEE QUIGLEY AGAIN! Urgh! I loved him! I wanted to see the all the Quamires and find out what happened with Captain Winderwhathisface, the question mark, who burned the Baulderlaire's parents house and why,
So many questions!!!! I was so mad when things didn't seem to wrap up, though I did like how he began with Beatrice (in the dedicated to section) and ended with Beatrice.

Oh and the worse part was the kids read that book, series of unfortunate events, and find out things about themselves but we readers don't!!!

Lastly, I found myself wanting to learn more about Olaf's past.

message 50: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara There's a reason Snicket called the question mark The Great Unknown. And it wouldn't surprise me if maybe someday he writes a sequel-series.

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The End (other topics)