Poker Books discussion

What book do you think has been the most beneficial to you, personally?

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ernie (last edited Jun 06, 2012 07:26PM) (new)

Ernie | 1 comments ...and more importantly, why?

I am currently reading Pot-Limit Omaha Poker The Big Play Strategy by Jeff Hwhang.

I've been having a lot of fun playing low stakes PLO, breaking even. But for the most part I have just been winging it - I never read up on strategy or anything, and reading this book has been eye opening.

It's completely changed the way I play for the better.

Al Moe | 1 comments PLO can be both exciting and heartbreaking. When you play a hand fast, raising and re-raising, and then get copied on the river, well, it's just tough.

I've read a few chapters on PLO and enjoyed the section in the newer Super System. Might consider the one you're reading.

Michael Pignataro (Pignataro82501) | 5 comments I never liked Pot Limit....I have always been a No Limit Player myself. If anyone reads/adds the book I wrote I would love to hear your thoughts...

The Average Joe's Guide to Play No Limit Texas Hold 'Em

David (commonmuggle) NLH Theory & Practice and The Poker Mindset. The first one cause it gave me a diferent way to see the game, how you play hands, what you think while, logical thinking on bet sizes, how to see your opponents, good or bad players, and everything else you could expect for a good poker book. Imo has all the concepts for you to develop a winning game and build winning strategies as you go throug decitions/stakes. First book in my list so far. If you want to know more about it, ask me.

Second one: The Poker Mindset. This one would be the first for me If an strategy book wasn't necessary, for me it was great cause I was dealing with some of thr problems mention in the book. What I liked about it is that not as all the other poker psychology advice that tells you tilt is bad, this one really puts it in understandable words: why is bad, what is bad, when is worst, how is ilogical and the best shows you is ways that work, how to fix it. It deals with all the huge ramifications of tilt, and shows you how to work and open your eyes about things that will improve your game that you don't even see as that important. The great benefit I got from it was learning that poker is a long term game (every day saying that you don't ever fully understand, or at least I didn't) and to look at it as a long line that if is meant to be up it will, you can't control when and that shouldn't pissed you off. Overall great book, 2nd favorite so far.

Robert Chiaccio | 1 comments I personally feel that all the Harrington on Hold Em books have a ton to offer, both tournaments and cash games, covering many great concepts and giving examples along the way. There is even one for online cash game play.

Overall, easy to read and understand and packed with great information.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Average Joe's Guide to Play No Limit Texas Hold 'Em (other topics)