The Last Lecture The Last Lecture question

How did Randy inspire you?
Snigdha Prakash Snigdha Jun 06, 2012 10:41AM
I really don't know.........so much about him to get inspiration from. His humour, his attitude to take everything head-on. Simply loving.
May God bless his soul...

I agree with Jann. Book was not inspiring neither was Pausch. He was very privileged and lived in a small world. I am an Eagle Scout, but that is an unrealistic goal for most people. Maybe he inspired the well to do white folks he worked and lived with, but his whole life is a cliche. Just because he is dead doesn't mean I have to respect him.

John Daly I'm right there with you, Dakota. It was like: "Hey, Randy. You just found out your dying. What are you going to do now?" His answer: "I'm going to Di ...more
Nov 10, 2012 09:35AM
Sai The Book is not to broadcast his achievements. The book conveys the strong attachment and love in his family which make him feel to stay with them for ...more
Dec 10, 2012 10:01PM

Jann Cather (last edited Aug 28, 2012 10:32PM ) Aug 28, 2012 10:26PM   1 vote
I did not find this book inspiring at all. I felt I was reading a book of clichés uttered by a white, straight, privileged male. His sports analogies were so "male" and "Win one for the Gipper.” His advice was to become an Eagle Scout (Hello, an option only for males) and to be prepared by not leaving the house without $200 in your pocket (Who has that kind of cash? I am lucky if I have $20 in my pocket.) I almost gave up on the book, but felt I had to read it in its entirety so I could speak honestly about my reaction to the book. I expected some thoughtful insights into the preciousness of life from someone facing death; instead, it read like an extended advice column. Pausch claims to be a geek, and, clearly, this book is written by a geek who thinks in trite dualisms without any critical, soulful reflection. Big disappointment.

I loved how Randy was so sad to leave his family, yet didn't let that overtake his positive spirit. That showed us all an example of loving life and having the courage to persevere. He knew he wouldn't win the fight, but he taught us it's not the winning that counts, but how you share your journey.

I envied the courage he had to follow through with his life even though he was terminally ill. It showed a spirit that some of us don't have that are well.

As a person sick with environmental illness and having had several anaphylactic reactions, I found his courage amazing and powerful. I try to be less fearful and try to live more in the present.

I read this book at a time in my life where I needed a reality check and appreciation for the future I had coming with my child. I found his testimony engaging and powerful. I was inspired to be a better parent and recognize the magic in each ordinary moment. I know it may seem trite to some, but I found Randy's writing pure and elegantly simple.

Jann, I felt Randy did, to some extent, lead a privileged life however, I was moved with his courage and determination to remain positive and to live life to the fullest. I was most discouraged by the lack of any real spirituality other than the vague "philosophy is a kind of religion" concept presented in the next to the last chapter. The idea of fulfilling your childhood dreams appears in a movie starring Adam Sandler, although the title escapes me... He gives a speech, much in the manner that the book describes. I recently learned that his wife has re-married and is planning to speak on several talk shows.

I liked the fact that he was try to teach his children a lesson which can help them when they mature. And so it applies to everyone who is mature. I got a lot of lessons which he explains. They helped me.

Personally, the following quote from Randy has immensely influenced my thinking and attitude towards life:"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand".

I love how even when he knew he was going to die, he was able to stay positive and live his life to the fullest. I would probably crawl in bed until I died. I love that he thought to leave this book for his family. What a great rememberance of their dad and husband.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Last Lecture (other topics)