Young Adult Book Club discussion

Speak
This topic is about Speak
Speak Discussions > Adult Characters: Any Thoughts (Spoilers)

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anna Besides Mr. Freeman did you find any other adults to be positive role models? I liked Mr. Freeman, but I also was a little dismayed. It seemed like he must have known something was amiss, but he was caught by the school regulations--if he reported Melinda's depression she would be victimized again.

Diana  (Higura_Natume) | 30 comments the dad tried, but he wasn't very successful at being a positive role model

at the end he (sorta) pulled it together though

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) I thought all the adult characters, except I guess the art teacher, were kind of muted, which makes sense because that's how kids often see adults and Melnda wasn't letting any of them in. But I am always dismayed at how people (including adults with young people) ignore, brush off, etc. issues and don't try to help/understand.

message 4: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2691 comments Mod
I guess maybe if you deal with kids on a regular basis maybe you don't try so hard if you see one who seems depressed. As for the parents they should've noticed a drastic change in their child and maybe taken her to therapy to just see what a therapist might think. I don't think Mr. Freeman really thought something like rape was wrong I think he thought she was just one of those kids who just didn't fit in.

Jennifer (JenJen1221) I used to work with kids at an after school program and I would notice some kids acting differently. I would try to talk to the parents I felt comfortable with, but it's always tricky. I think its parents that make some issues complicated and I think that's what might get in the way when trying to get kids more help.

Heather (HeatherJoy) | 180 comments I thought the parents were very irresponsible but it appeared as though they hardly noticed her prior to the incident so it made sense that they didn't respond well after. Her mother was very self involved and never allowed Melinda to have much of a voice, so I found it grating that she chastized her for not speaking. The father was entirely absent as were the teachers. To caught up in themselves to see what was happening to the teens they are responsible for.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 19, 2013 10:06PM) (new)

I don't think there were any likable adults besides Mr. Freeman and maybe Melinda's dad. This could have been because the author didn't pay a lot of attention to the other adults that had the potential to be good rolemodels.

message 8: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2691 comments Mod
That's true... the author probably purposely kept out good role models..to make the story work.

unread topics | mark unread