Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1
Superheroes Graphic Novels > Interesting League of Extraordinary Gentlemen topic

Comments (showing 1-8)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 8: by Paul (last edited Jan 06, 2013 05:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 286 comments a synopsis from the site...

It’s 1925, fifteen long years since Janni Dakkar first tried to escape the legacy of her science-pirate father, only to eventually take on his mantle and accept her destiny as the new Nemo; the next captain of the legendary Nautilus. A thirty year-old Pirate Jenny, tired of punishing the world with an unending spree of plunder and destruction, is resolved to finally step from her forebear’s lengthy shadow by attempting something at which he’d conspicuously failed, namely the exploration of Antarctica. In 1895 her father had returned from that ice-crusted continent without his reason or his crewmen, all of whom appeared to have mysteriously perished or to otherwise have disappeared. Now Captain Nemo’s daughter and successor plans to take her feared and celebrated black submersible back to the world’s South Pole in an attempt to lay her sire’s intimidating ghost forever.

There are others, though, who have become as tired of Janni’s freebooting as she herself. An influential publishing tycoon, embarrassed by the theft of valuables belonging to a visiting Ugandan monarch, sets a trio of America’s most lauded technological adventurers on the pirate queen’s trail, commencing a nightmarish chase across the frozen landscape with the pinnacles of the forbidding mountains where Prince Dakkar’s sanity had foundered growing ever nearer…

In a fast-paced, self-contained adventure, Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill thrillingly expand on one of Century’s most memorable characters, venturing into dazzling polar territories and fictional domains including those of Edgar Allen Poe and H. P. Lovecraft, with all of these vectors headed for an unforgettable encounter at the living, beating and appallingly inhuman HEART OF ICE.

very much looking forward to this one
I wonder who the American trio they mention will be.

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 160 comments Ooh, super! Can't wait. I wonder what -year- she's going to be in Antarctica? It is a continent, so she'll be confined to the seas unless she gets out of the sub. May we hope she'll run into some of the British explorers?

message 6: by Paul (last edited Jan 06, 2013 10:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 286 comments Bebruary 2013 apparently, + it'll be a hardcover
(that's right, I wrote Bebruary... February is what I meant to write, but I found it too funny to correct)

now, if only they could publish all three "Century" books togetehr as a single over-sized hardcover :-)

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 160 comments Well, Alan Moore is certainly not everybody's cup of tea. However, if you like his stuff, LOEG is one of his master works -- dense, chewy and arcane. It helps if you have a thorough grounding in Victorian and Edwardian popular lit -- the glosses by Jess Nevins are an essential crutch for most of us. (Put his name into Google and his LOEG material will pop up.)
The way everybody (yes, EVERYBODY) in English fiction is worked into LOEG is just a pleasure to see; if they're not actual speaking characters then they're hanging around in crowd scenes or snatching a purse in the background. This is a level of fanaticism that you have to admire. It is delicious fun to suddenly realize who M is, or who all those men at Intelligence HQ are.
And the broad arc of the work (I think Moore's up to 5 volumes now) is very pleasing. The idea that being a hero is a specific career that is as bad as drug addiction is not unknown. Mina Murray is a true heroine, carrying on and triumphing over appalling circumstances over and over again.
I confess that I may have finally outgrown the more simple comics; JLA is stupid, they've gutted Superman, nobody can keep up with X-Men any more, and Batman is repetitive. But LOEG is grown-up stuff, strong and high proof (and X-rated). I will still be able to read it when I'm sixty. And Moore has promised us more! He's a slow creator, but I can wait.

Serene (RadiantSereneChaos) Nathan wrote: "Okay so I saw this book at the bookstore, and after thinking for awhile, I passed it up. Was I wrong?"

I wouldn't say so. It was a struggle for me to complete it, and it felt like I had wasted my time once I was done.

Nathan | 16 comments Okay so I saw this book at the bookstore, and after thinking for awhile, I passed it up. Was I wrong?

Jaime | 20 comments Yeah - I just added my 2 cents!

Robert Wright (RHWright) | 266 comments Not sure about the rules on reposts, but I found this interesting:

unread topics | mark unread