Creative Souls discussion

What craft are you working on...?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 82) (82 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited Dec 02, 2007 08:41PM) (new)

Elizabeth (candlestick) | 3 comments I was just wondering what craft everyone is currently working on in their spare time. I just made a card organizer that can hang on my wall out of fabric. And you?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I am working on artist books for the class I am taking on artist books. I am working on three: "not THAT facebook" which is a collection of faces in magazines with the background collaged over, and blank pages for me to try and draw those faces; "a seed grows in a hidden place" which is a series of drawings depicting the imaginary development of the soul trees I started drawing this year; and "dictionary fauna" which is a mixed media book built on dictionary pages showing different animal definitions (a-z) with single line sketches of each animal and stamped text.

Tulara (iberostar) | 20 comments I am working on some necklaces - beading has always been a favorite craft of mine. Kelly's Facebook sounds like a lot of fun. I am interested in drawing some mystical mermaids too. Gotta dig the pencils out and practice sketching!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I made some holiday themed wall art for my living room, and I made some ATCs, deco pages, and inchies last week.

Penniphurr | 2 comments Well, I finished making two hats and am in the middle of a scarf. I'm using my sister-in-law's "knifty knitter round loom" This is fun piece of equipment.
I just realized with the talk of face books. I haven't done any altered book project for ages. Thanks for reminding me!

Dyah | 3 comments I'm knitting a "kebaya", a traditional clothing of Indonesia. It's been my obsession to make a knitted kebaya...

Diana | 5 comments I am currently working on my Black and White Photography porfolio, and I'm also working on three magazine cover designs (this one is for my Digital Imaging class)!

Jen (Istoleahalo) I have been making explosion box photo albums. They take a lot of time, but are really fun to make.

Tulara (iberostar) | 20 comments What is an explosion box photo album - that sounds interesting!!

message 10: by Jen (last edited Dec 24, 2007 09:16AM) (new)

Jen (Istoleahalo) The best way to explain is to show you:

http://stampspaperscissors.typepad.co...

Denise | 3 comments I'm knitting socks and finishing up a tank top (knit in the round up to the neckline) I started this summer.

Scrapbook-wise, I have all Friday to crop (10a-midnight!)and I'll be finishing up projects here and there, as well as our annual family photo album.

Cheryl S. | 5 comments I just finished a Ragtime Quilt for my 9 yr old grandson's birthday. In the past year our family lost 2 grandpas. I used their flannel shirts to make this quilt. It was a labor of love and as I worked with the fabric I could picture different events where these former shirts that I cut up into many pieces had been worn. My grandson is the kind of kid who will appreciate the quilt which made it even more special for me to make.
I have another quilt top about half constructed and then my intention is to make some Christmas table runners to give as presents next year. All that gorgeous Christmas fabric is on sale right now!!

Megan | 2 comments I'm about ready to finish up a vacation scrapbook that I literally started eight years ago! I am one of those people who dabbles in a million things and has trouble finishing projects, but this is a priority once again! That quilt sounds very special cheryl, and the explosion box is cool too.

Lynn | 6 comments Whenever I have a spare minute, I try to do some 3D renders and when that gets boring I like making Egyptian broad collar necklaces & sewing clothes. Trying to find time to do anything during the summer is useless though since I spend most of the summer keeping my 7 year old occupied. :)
Lynn

Dawn | 1 comments just got back from two weeks' holiday at the lake in new hampshire, so i'm presently about to dive into the process of scrapbooking the best of the several thousand photos i took while there.

other current projects:

collage-covering my bedroom door with all different sorts of text. it's about half-done but i havent' yet gotten up the mojo to finish it off.

redecorating my bathroom. always a crafty process.

re-covering an old footstool using pretty dishtowels from anthropologie.

Kimber | 1 comments I am organizing photos for a beach book from our trip we just got home from and am working on a quilt that hopefully will be raffled off to help a friend who is battling cancer.

Sandy (sandiLa) | 2 comments I've been working on art journaling this summer. I just started and have learned quite a bit. It's a lot of fun.

Donna | 2 comments Sandy,

What is art journaling?

message 19: by Ilze (last edited Aug 27, 2008 12:07AM) (new)

Ilze Keeping a journal, like a diary, or such. You can do it Julia Cameron style (let the pen run with your thoughts) or Pennebaker style (he has several!)

Ctk | 1 comments Knitting my first scarf (how typical!) and building a desk from scrap materials.
Plan to do
- draw/paint a map to mark places have been/to go.
-make some magnets

Lucianna | 1 comments making trees and fall colored leaves out of used paper bags and paint. Great to use after reading The Giving Tree to children :)

message 22: by Mo (new)

Mo Tipton (-mo-) | 2 comments I just found a How To for adorable pendants made from old Scrabble tiles, and I'm eager to make a few of my own.

http://www.makeandtakes.com/links/scr...

Kate (cafegrrl) Currently I'm doing acrylic paintings, getting ready for a show in October, that's the main thing I should be focused on. But I am really feeling the urge to do some art journalling and make an altered book, and I also have some knitting projects on the go. Not to mention a couple of unfinished quilts...

Mo's comment reminded me that I've also been wanting to make jewellery, the scrabble tile pendants are great!

So many ideas, so little time....... ;-)

message 24: by Jo (new)

Jo (BloominChick) Since Hubby got me a Dremmel power tool set earlier this year (belated Christmas present!), I'm looking forward to getting into Gourds this Autumn!!!

kristen (kaccardo) | 2 comments I did a little acrylic painting a month or so ago... fun to get the paints out & just play.

Now that it's not so hot outside I need to pick up my knitting again. I just taught myself how last year. I only made scarves, but this year I'd like to learn to do mittens or maybe a simple sweater. If anyone has any good books to recommend for a beginner, I'd love some!

Janeth (rustybones) | 2 comments I am currently working on 3 quilts. When I get tired of one, I'll switch to another.
I am collecting pieces of glass which I will tumble and eventually use in mosaic projects (picture "sea glass).
I'm also collecting pine needles, cones, pods and such, to use in Christmas doll projects.

Cindy (cjlantier) | 3 comments I'm working on a mixed-media piece that will be a Christmas prezzie for my MIL. I'm not completely satisfied with the background, so I can't decide if I should keep working it or start over.

I bought the stuff for handmade Christmas cards -- scrapbook paper and some new rubberstamps -- but it doesn't look as though I'm going to get around to that.

Cindy -- http://www.lantier.org

Jenn | 3 comments I am contemplating continuing a series of paintings for an Italian themed art exhitbit. One painting was accepted and they want to know if I plan on doing a series...well if I can get motivated..yes!

Mona | 1 comments I'm working with beads. gemstones and crystals...making meditation and prayer beads,, home made accessories, bookmarks ,i like to do them with love :)

Leslie Wow--everyone is doing so many exciting things!! I do collage and mixed-media, but that's been on the back burner while I write my book. It's a memoir, and I'm almost done with the first draft!! I'm excited and also looking forward to getting back to some other kinds of creating.

Leslie Thank you!

Micaela I'm working on a story and some poetry. Care to take a look at this poem?
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/4...

Leslie Hi,
I just read your poem, I enjoyed it, I really like the ending--it fits with all the departures.

Leslie cool!

Jenn | 3 comments I just created an illo friday post!
http://sodistressing.blogspot.com/200...

Cathie (countrygarden) | 6 comments I like needlework (cross stitch, embroidery and knitting) so I have a project going almost all the time. I just finished a small cross stitch project.

Lorna | 3 comments I am teaching myself to draw and paint with watercolors. I have a children's story I want to illustrate someday.

message 38: by Tulara (last edited Oct 21, 2009 12:26PM) (new)

Tulara (iberostar) | 20 comments Still beading - you can see my latest: www.jansart.blogspot.com I am looking at doing a collage of my late sister-in-law for an 8x10 frame - still in the planning stages though.

Cathie (countrygarden) | 6 comments Needlework. I've been working on Christmas things. They can be seen at www.countrygardenstitchery.blogspot.com

Tulara (iberostar) | 20 comments Your work is really great - I love the trees on the pillows- and the color selection is so "Christmas!"

Cathie (countrygarden) | 6 comments thank you! i really like those clay face beads you used.

message 42: by sliknl (last edited Mar 11, 2010 08:02AM) (new)

sliknl (Silkworm) | 4 comments I am into journaling, and each year I have a "theme thread" as a kind of year long project. In previous years this has covered: Gardening, Haiku writing, photoanalysis, etc. This year 2010 the theme is "Seeking Center" (for whatever that means as I go along) and trying to encourage more visual exploration. I've been working with watercolor pencils, oil pastels, drawing, and cut paper. Since January, some entries include (in addition to my endless book lists!) shadow drawing, a mandala, angel paper dolls, stenciling, cut paper clowns, transfer hearts with pastels, burr oak-and-leaf design, an abstract floral. There's not much cohesiveness with all this, but you just never know where ideas grow.

Cathie (countrygarden) | 6 comments I used to craft so much I feel I am in a lazy faze right now and primarily just draw and keep a journal, which I am really enjoying.

sliknl (Silkworm) | 4 comments I think a lazy time is good - it lets the creative side of the brain free to flow and store up energy. And spring is coming - a time of renewal and growth. Maybe you can share what directions you find you find unfolding.

Mary Ellen McWhirter | 6 comments Today I worked on a new watercolor of irises. I also did some knitting on a scarf that I am trying to invent (emphasis on trying). I also worked on some cards that I have an order for. Too many ideas, not enough time.
MAry Ellen

Mary Ellen McWhirter | 6 comments Sliknl wrote: "I am into journaling, and each year I have a "theme thread" as a kind of year long project. In previous years this has covered: Gardening, Haiku writing, photoanalysis, etc. This year 2010 the th..."
This is such a great idea. I do an idea journal but I haven't thought of doing a themed journal. I might try this as well although most of my journaling starts with great intent but then just..... disappears.
Mary Ellen

sliknl (Silkworm) | 4 comments Mary Ellen wrote: "Sliknl wrote: "I am into journaling, and each year I have a "theme thread" as a kind of year long project. In previous years this has covered: Gardening, Haiku writing, photoanalysis, etc. This y..."

The thing I find really interesting is that once I've started a theme, sometimes when the year ends, the theme has become so interesting that it "sticks" over into later years (at least for a while). Some I've carried over for um.. oh about 10 years now, and have over the years developed somewhat generic designations, like: Cycle of the Seasons, Strenghthen Finances, Diet-Health-Grooming, Relationships, Creative Work & Play. I knew that "Resolutions" (i.e., the theme) tend to peter out, so to deal with that at the end of each month, and before the start of the next month, I make myself do a simple grocery list of which themes were active that month, so it shows me in a very simple way, where my energy was flowing, and how they ebb and flow over the course of time. Not to control, but more to reveal what's been going on. I also invented a system to index my journals as I go along, because later when I want to go back and find something, it's easier. One day I was concerned about "missing" journals - it turned out that my husband was looking up some dates for when we were traveling. So from time to time, it's been useful for family information, too.

sliknl (Silkworm) | 4 comments Mary Ellen wrote: "Sliknl wrote: "I am into journaling, and each year I have a "theme thread" as a kind of year long project. In previous years this has covered: Gardening, Haiku writing, photoanalysis, etc. This y..."

I need to be doing that! I have a huge iris garden of heritage plants which I "inherited" when I bought my home. They are so beautiful. Gotta hone my iris painting skills (but first, I ned to weed that garden!)

Karen (karenscraps) I am currently working on some cards, an ABC challenge on one of the scrapbook sites I belong to, and a cross-stitch piece that I'm working on for Christmas (yes I know it's only September)

Tiffany Lowder | 2 comments Still scrapbooking, but I'm also beginning to work on a cross stitch family coat of arms as a gift for Christmas. I'm obviously a slow stitcher if I need to start now! Lol!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread