1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up discussion

The Wind in the Willows
This topic is about The Wind in the Willows
Monthly Book Club > June 2012: The Wind in the Willows

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Briar Rose (last edited Jun 04, 2012 03:01PM) (new) - added it

Briar Rose | 40 comments Mod
This is the official thread for The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame, one of our June reads. Please post up your thoughts about the book here.

Wind in the Willows is in the public domain. You can find it in many digital formats
at Project Gutenberg.

Ivan I only just read this for the first time a few months ago...and fell in love with it. I loved everyone - but not Toad.

Melanie | 1 comments Oh, toad reminded me of an atty from our small town. I "toad ally" loved him.

message 4: by Linda (last edited Jun 16, 2012 11:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Linda (LindaJane) | 41 comments I was reading this in a cafe a while back when the lady sitting next to me at the communal table commented that it was good to see someone actually reading Wind in the Willows. She'd always meant to read it but had never got there - which is EXACTLY why I'm doing this challenge in the first place!

Anyway, my initial comments from May 2010:

What a discovery. What a quiet joy. A gentle stroll through these pages of early 1900 English country life reminds me that the times were more turbulent than Mr. Grahame let on to the children reading his stories.

Turbulent indeed - this is a subtle commentary on the rising class struggles that were crossing not only England but the world, and how he turned it into a children's fun story is fascinating.

The descriptions were a tad too long for me though, which will have me reading it in only short sections to my boys. But I must admit that this is one book that will raise many a moral question about how we go about our business, how our actions affect others and that 'messing about in boats' is some of the best fun we will ever ever have.

April | 3 comments Well, I've been meaning to read this book for a long time. I really wanted to love it! But, truth be told, I didn't enjoy it. I only rated it 1 star and I feel so sad about that! However, I will keep this book for my classroom. Maybe there will be a student who will enjoy reading it!

Kathy (Kathy_H) I have been meaning to read this one for a long while. Didn't get to it and now have others that have pushed to the top to be read. Still someday ...

1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You...

unread topics | mark unread