Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail Wild discussion

Oprah's Book Club 2.0

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sandra Jones Please share your thoughts on the return of Oprah's Book Club and her first selection, "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed.

Rosanne Vogel I liked this book. I am not as brave as the author, but I did enjoy hiking the trail vicariously!

message 3: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb I'm happy that Oprah's Book Club is back! Her support and enthusiasm for reading means that more people will read more books, and that's always a good thing. I was already reading "Wild" when the announcement was made, and it's a good pick; a fine story of a young woman who takes on a huge challenge in order to change her life, and then never gives up!

Jenni This book is different from the average book I read. But I loved it. Eventhough I dont usually follow Oprahs Book Club I was excited she chose it for her first book.

Diane I am excited that this book is getting so much attention. It was an interesting read. However, I'm not sure what to make of Oprah's Bookclub 2.0 at this point - waiting to see where it all goes. I hope it goes somewhere good!

Barb I like the fact she got another book group going. However, that being said I don't think I have the same taste in books as her. Most books she picks, I have a hard time getting through or their just not my cup of tea so to speak.

Kelly Just finished listening to this and I found it very entertaining.

Brenda I loved this book! I found it at the book store and couldn't put it down... I HAD to buy it! I enjoyed it evey bit as muh as I thought I would! I was not involved at all in her last Bookclub so waiting to see what it is all about.

Kevin Lewis I picked up this book because of the PCT - something I've long been interested in. I was very pleasantly surprised how the story of Cheryl was what really drew me in. May not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think more people should give it a chance. Highly recommended!

Sandra Jones Really bummed, Strayed is speaking in my current camping location next Monday (7/2) in Mendocino, California. I'll just miss her by two days. I'm sure it will be fascinating author talk. Has anyone attended one of her presentations?

Peggy I really loved this book. I have always wanted to hike the PCT-especially the Washington State section. I developed lupus right after I became so excited about the trail and felt like it was no longer achievable. Perhaps I will still be able to achieve parts of the trail. I am excited that Oprah liked this book as well as I did. Good luck to her with her book-club. Anything that encourages people to read should not be discouraged.

message 12: by Connie (last edited Jul 09, 2012 12:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Connie I enjoyed this book, and thought that Cheryl Strayed was very gutsy to hike the PCT by herself. She was an astute people watcher, and was not afraid to turn her mistakes into humorous events. However, she went into the hike very unprepared and was lucky that people helped her.

I've never really followed Oprah's first book club. There seem to be a lot of books on the list that are about strong women, or people overcoming difficult situations. I found a website for her Oprah 2.0 club so I think I'll check it out occasionally.

Janet I'm glad Oprah's book club is back and I loved this book!! I'm at a similar point in life that I'd love to take on something like this "hike" that Cheryl did, but I'm not as free to do so - I have two young boys to care for!! So I definitely enjoyed and appreciated Cheryl's experiences!

Lorrea(Threein3) Very glad that Oprah has reinstated her book club. I have read so many of the book so far. Just finished Wild and like so many others, I wish I could take on that journey. I think that I would get a little more prepared for it than she did and probably not do it alone.

fivesunflowers I enjoyed this book very much and found Cheryl to be very brave to take on such a trail - I like Oprah's picks as I think she has a large range of tastes and isn't afraid to choose books that may stir up a little controversy.

Jenni Cheryl Strayed is on OWN Super Soul Sunday right now! (11:00est 7/22)

Renee I loved this book. CS "Queen of PCT?" - absolutely! I'm glad I read the book before I found out it was one of Oprah's book club picks. I haven't liked any of Oprah's picks because they had been some of the most depressing books I ever read!

message 18: by Mary (last edited Aug 03, 2012 11:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary I really liked this book. Originally I bought it because I love to hike, though I have never experienced the PCT. I can't say I always agreed with Cheryl's decisions or her methods, but I certainly know what its like to lose a parent and have your family never regain its equilibrium again. I know how untethered and fractured that can make you feel. I also know how lost I felt in my 20's trying to decide who I was going to be, but not having a solid family to guide me. I found her book to be a more authenticate "Eat, Pray, Love" because her publisher did not pay for her self-discovery journey, and in fact Cheryl truly risked her life, and faced real hardships, and showed true courage in her struggle to find herself.

Melissa I really enjoyed this book and I found it to be inspirational. The sheer grit and determination to press forward despite the hardships along the way is admirable. I just finished the book last night and I'm sad that it's over. I will definitely check out her other books.

This is my first participation with Oprah's Book Club and I'm interested to see what happens.

Carol E. I'm wondering how Oprah's book club will fare now that it is online rather than on TV. One has to be more intentionally looking for it now. I loved "Wild." I was dismayed at how ill-prepared Cheryl was for her hike, but applauded her for never giving up. I used to dream about doing such a hike, but now that I'm 60, not so much. Maybe I could be a camper who stays along the trail and provides food and water to the hikers.

Martha Stettinius I enjoyed this book (and people are pinning it left and right on my Pinterest page), but I didn't find it all that special. A young woman goes off on an ill-planned trip in the wild and encounters dangers, learns about herself, etc. Didn't we all go off on ill-planned adventures at her age? What I'd love to see is a book about such an adventure taken by a middle-aged woman who is really risking it all. But that said, it is well-written and a page turner.

message 22: by Blueberry (new) - added it

Blueberry I didn't enjoy this book as much as Oprah did. Thought it wasn't as good as all the hype.

message 23: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary I was bored by this. Didn't bother finishing. Half way thru I realized I didn't care what happened to this women one way or another.Not the first time this has happened with Oprah's choice.

Susan I really liked this book! So excited Oprah's Book Club is back!

Mary Beth I read this before I realized it was an Oprah book. I read it because I am going on a backpacking trip of my own. What I want are the pictures that she took with her camera. Because I read the digital version, I am wondering if her pictures were included in the printed version. I loved the book, but am having a hard time totally believing some of her story.

Jenni Mary Beth wrote: " What I want are the pictures that she took with her camera." "

Me to!

"I loved the book, but am having a hard time totally believing some of her story"

Which parts?? I'm just curious. ;)

Mary Beth 1. She camped solo and didn't have any encounters with wildlife trying to access her tent or gear at night. In our training hikes, we have been Ted that a tent off on its own is a bear magnet. We will not be allowed to keep our backpacks in our tent or even our vestibules. It sounded to me like she kept them with her...and no attempts by bears, raccoons, or anything???? Hmmm....
2. When she lost her boots and strapped/taped the camp shoes to her feet. How was she able to walk? I mean really, some pictures would have added some believability to the story. I want to see pictures of these torn up feet. I don't see how she kept going.

Maybe it IS true. But I want to see the pics. I didn't believe James frye's story when I read it either. I would think Oprah would verify the authenticity before endorsing her book.
I still enjoyed the book.

Elisa I really loved this book.
I'm a hiker myself, and even if I still think that she's achieved a great result, I also believe that she's been lucky.
Just think about all the things that could have gone wrong!

Tomie Fox I wish I had the courage to go on a hike like she did.

message 30: by R.K. (last edited Nov 04, 2012 06:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

R.K. Mary Beth, I've lived outside in wilderness areas for many years, and it's not common at all for animals to raid your tent/camp. I've even camped in black bear and mountain lion country with dog food and not packed in a tree--- lived there for several weeks and never had an animal raid my camp.

I'd like to add, though, that when you are camped in a high traffic area, there are more likely to be animal raids because they learn where the humans are camped and therefore, a food source. If there are areas with little human encampment, such as much of the trail where Cheryl camped, there will be less of a chance of an animal raiding your camp (not making any promises though!). If you are in a high traffic area, there will be more wildlife because they expect humans to be there for a food source.

Also, I've lived in the woods and hiked about quite a bit without shoes.

With this in mind, I completely believe those things because I've experienced them as well. It's difficult to imagine if you don't have a lot of outdoor experience or if your experience has been limited with bad luck.

Mary Beth Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Stacey I loved the book! She is very lucky more didn't happen to her but she is very brave. The way everyone was so nice and helpful reminds me of how people trusted each other in the 60's and 70's. The book makes you think about hiking, seems like it could be very cleansing.

message 33: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Zink I liked this book but I struggled with some of the decisions that Cheryl made while on the trail. After reading her fiction book "Torch" I have to say I am a little less judgemental about her state of mind when making the decisions that she made as I am assuming there is a bit of overlap in her fiction/nonfiction characters. Anyone else feel like that?

Sheila Burke This was a good, fun read that left me half wishing I had the guts to do something as audacious as what she accomplished. Yes, she was lucky. Her apparent good looks got her a good deal of support from strangers. Given how deeply she was grieving her mother in the beginning, I was surprised she did not dedicate this book to the memory of her mother, or, at the very least, acknowledge and thank her mother sincerely at the end. Instead, she closed the book with a line commemorating Doug, one of her trail friends. Not judging. Just a major disconnect for me.

Dorothy hutcheon i really loved this book if it really happend or didnt. it gave me a different look on life.

Nataliejayne hmmm, never thought about that.

message 37: by Kim (last edited Feb 23, 2013 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Sheila wrote: "This was a good, fun read that left me half wishing I had the guts to do something as audacious as what she accomplished. Yes, she was lucky. Her apparent good looks got her a good deal of support ..."

I think she might have dedicated Torch, her previous novel to her mother, since it's loosely based on her mother's death. Having read a bit of her essay work as well, it becomes pretty clear that her mother is stitched through everything she does. All of her work is kind of a dedication, in that way.

If you liked Wild, though, you should check out Cheryl's advice column on The Rumpus, called Dear Sugar. #72 is my favourite

message 38: by Linda (new) - rated it 1 star

Linda Hated it. Main character incredibly depressing! What a sad person with a lost soul. Thought maybe her stories of being on the trail would redeem the book, but I finally gave up about 1/3 of the way through because she was so DEPRESSING! I donated this book to the thrift store.

message 39: by Lea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lea I loved this book even though I found the first chapter painful to read because my heart was ripped open while remembering my own mother's death, and in the second chapter I was horrified reading about the increasingly bad decisions the author insisted on making.

I was so relieved to get to the actual hike and on to something a little more uplifting! I thought it was such a positive, empowering experience, and Strayed convincingly conveyed that in her novel.

message 40: by Lorrie (new) - added it

Lorrie I loved both the 1st & 2nd selections for the OBC. It seems we have been waiting so long for the 3rd book to be announced. I'm really becoming impatient and think perhaps many others are also since the posts are becoming more infrequent.

Larryponder I thought the OBC choice of 'Wild' was fun enough with the nature scenes, but too negative with her life in the City. Her family struggles were fun to suffer through though.

Jane(Pixie) I am so like Cheryl. I think we challenge ourshelves to find out what we are made and who we are. Sometimes the worst is closest to us. Oprah's seletions have been the best and the worst. I am glad the book club didn't completely bite the dust. posting from Guam

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (other topics)