Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > So-and-So III

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amara (last edited Jun 02, 2012 12:59PM) (new)

Amara (AFTanith) According to the Librarian Manual, relational suffixes like this shouldn't have commas before them. However, if the comma is removed from his name, Joseph McClendon, III turns into Joseph McClendon Iii.

Should the comma be left in to preserve the roman numberals properly, or should it be taken out at the expense of the capitalization of the "III"? (Or is there some trick I don't know about that could make it work properly?)

message 2: by Vicky (last edited Jun 02, 2012 01:08PM) (new)

Vicky (vnorthw) | 2453 comments When I made that book I originally did it without the comma but added in the comma because it reverted to lower case without. It's very strange, I've never seen it do this before.

Caleb Pirtle III, Moses Siregar III and all capital names like CLAMP don't seem to be affected. I'm scared to try editing them though, in the off chance they revert to lowercase letters. lol

ETA1: I'm going to file a bug report in Feedback.

ETA2: I just briefly changed Rie Takada to Rie Takada III to see what would happen. When I made the change the III did remain capitalized... so, the plot thickens....

message 3: by Amara (last edited Jun 02, 2012 01:05PM) (new)

Amara (AFTanith) Vicky wrote: "When I made that book I originally did it without the comma but added in the comma because it reverted to lower case without. It's very strange, I've never seen it do this before.

Yeah, I was very surprised to see it do that. Perhaps it's a bug introduced since those profiles were last edited?

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments It's because there's an existing author named "Joseph McClendon Iii", and when you change the name on the book it picks up the capitalization on that name. You need to merge the authors and then change the capitalization on the final author profile.

message 5: by Amara (new)

Amara (AFTanith) Cait wrote: "It's because there's an existing author named "Joseph McClendon Iii", and when you change the name on the book it picks up the capitalization on that name. You need to merge the authors and then ch..."

Wow, such a simple explanation and I never would have guessed. lol

message 6: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vnorthw) | 2453 comments Hmm, that's odd. I don't remember seeing any other books on his profile the first time. /shrug

message 7: by Amara (new)

Amara (AFTanith) Everything's all merged and taken care of now. :) Thanks for the explanation, Cait.

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Caleb Pirtle III (other topics)
Moses Siregar III (other topics)
CLAMP (other topics)
Rie Takada (other topics)