The Life of Samuel Johnson The Life of Samuel Johnson discussion

Textual history of The Life of Samuel Johnson

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis Does anyone have any information about the edition history of Boswell's work? Is there a critically established text with scholarly apparatus, or are all editions more or less uncontroversially identical? Any links to a discussion of the history of the text would be appreciated.

Charles This is not an easy question. The authoritative edition of Johnson is the Yale Edition by O.M. Brack, which had reached v20 when he died. Brack also wrote on the early biographies of Johnson, including Boswell's. I don't have the materials at hand to say more, but I would suggest you have a look at what Brack has written on Boswell. My own edition is an ordinary Heritage Press set with the annotations by Hester Thrale and it has served me well.

message 3: by Nicholas (new) - added it

Nicholas The scholarly edition is that edited by G. B. Hill as updated by L. F. Powell (6 vols. with corrections, 1964). The only unabridged critical edition in paperback is that published by the Oxford University Press as part of their Oxford World's Classics series.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Life of Samuel Johnson (other topics)