Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Book Reviews & Quotes > These books might be banned, but quotes certainly aren't!

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

readinghearts (Lyn M) (lsmeadows) | 1987 comments Mod
Here is the chance to sound off by posting your favorite quotes from the banned books that you read. While your at it, any idea why the book you are reading is banned? Some of the reasons are pretty obscure. Let us know what you think!

D.G. | 886 comments Well, I'll start as I picked the shelf, LOL!

From The Adventures of Tom Sawyer:

If he had been a great and wise philosopher, like the writer of this book, he would now have comprehended that Work consists of whatever a body is OBLIGED to do, and that Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do.

It seems that Huck Finn is the book that it's most usually banned (or challenged) because of racism and people being offended by the use of the N word but in Mark Twain's lifetime, Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn were excluded from the juvenile sections of the Brooklyn Public library (among other libraries) because the two characters were "bad examples for ingenuous youth."

D.G. - Mark Twain is one of my favorite writers and I rally love Tom Sawyer. I have always agreed that it is banned because of the racism, so it is interesting to have you include the other. Did you know that about 5 years ago there was a movement to "rewrite" Mark Twain's books to remove all of the references to slaves and the N word?

D.G. | 886 comments Lyn M wrote: "Did you know that about 5 years ago there was a movement to "rewrite" Mark Twain's books to remove all of the references to slaves and the N word? "

Oh Lord! People are nuts! They want to re-write history now? That was the way people talked those days and from what I hear (this is my first time reading the book), the books criticize slavery, not promote it.

D.G. ~Shameless Hussy~ wrote: "Lyn M wrote: "Did you know that about 5 years ago there was a movement to "rewrite" Mark Twain's books to remove all of the references to slaves and the N word? "

Oh Lord! People are nuts! They wa..."

You are correct, it does criticize it, and I'm willing to bet that a good number of the people in that movement had never even read the book.

message 6: by Susan (last edited Jun 03, 2012 02:51PM) (new)

Susan | 1918 comments from The Lorax:

In no time at all I had built a small shop.
Then I chopped down a Truffula Tree with one chop.
And with great skillful skill and with great speedy speed,
I took the soft tuft. And I knitted a Thneed!

I have NO clue why this would have been banned. Does anyone else?

Jo Ann  | 80 comments From The Color Purple By Alice Walker: I found two I liked.

“I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it. People think pleasing God is all God cares about. But any fool living in the world can see it always trying to please us back.”

“...have you ever found God in church? I never did. I just found a bunch of folks hoping for him to show. Any God I ever felt in church I brought in with me. And I think all the other folks did too. They come to church to share God, not find God.”

As to why this book was banned just the first page alone is shocking.

Susan | 1918 comments from James and the Giant Peach:

A Gnu and a Gnocerous surely you'll see
And that gnormous and gnorrible Gnat
Whose sting when it stings you goes in at the knee
And comes out through the top of your hat.

message 9: by Tara (last edited Jun 24, 2012 08:36PM) (new)

Tara | 740 comments from Life as We Knew It on Pg. 46:
I guess I always felt even if the world came to an end, McDonald's would still be open.

This was just another quote from the book I thought I would share (because I cannot find out who banned this book and why so my guess is it may be some religious schools or something like that based on quotes like this one)...

"This is the first time in a week that I have left Reverend Marshall," she said. "We've been sleeping at the church, just getting an hour or two of sleep each days we can keep praying. Isn't it wonderful, what God is doing?"
There was a part of me that wanted to tell Megan to shut up and another part of me that wanted to hear what God was doing that was so wonderful. But mostly I wanted a hot lunch."

message 10: by Susan (last edited Jun 23, 2012 12:48PM) (new)

Susan | 1918 comments from Roald Dahl's The Witches:

That face of hers was the most frightful and frightening thing I have ever seen. Just looking at it gave me the shakes all over. It was so crumpled and wizened, so shrunken and shriveled, it looked as though it had been pickled in vinegar. It was a fearsome and ghastly sight.

and later on:
"My darling," she said at last, "are you sure you don't mind being a mouse for the rest of your life?"
"I don't mind at all," I said. "It doesn't matter who you are or what you look like as long as somebody loves you."

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2778 comments Mod
from Doctor Zhivago

“Don’t be upset. Don’t listen to me. I only meant that I am jealous of a dark, unconscious element, something irrational, unfathomable. I am jealous of your toilet articles, of the drops of sweat on your skin, of the germs in the air you breathe which could get into your blood and poison you. And I am jealous of Komarovsky, as if he were an infectious disease. Someday he will take you away, just as certainly as death will someday separate us. I know this must seem obscure and confused, but I can’t say it more clearly. I love you madly, irrationally, infinitely.”

This book is banned in the USSR - obviously due to the political views of the book.

Susan | 1918 comments from Holes:

On the day of Myra's fifteenth birthday, Elya's pig weighed over fifty stones. Madame Zeroni had told him to carry the pig up the mountain on that day as well, but Elya didn't want to present himself to Myra smelling like a pig.

"May I marry your daughter?" Elya boldly asked.
"First, I must weigh the pigs."
Alas, poor Elya should have carried his pig up the mountain one last time. The two pigs weighed exactly the same.

Susan | 1918 comments @ Lyn,

Notice that this list at the "horror" one have stars in front of them, which make them appear above the current one. I bet that wasn't intentional, and I bet you're the only one who can take them off.

btw, as always, I'm amazed how you keep coming up with cute little sayings as the title for the quotes thread. Thanks!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (other topics)
The Lorax (other topics)
The Color Purple (other topics)
James and the Giant Peach (other topics)
Life As We Knew It (other topics)
More...