J.D. Robb discussion

Random > Another series like In Death?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 59) (59 new)    post a comment »

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 4220 comments Mod
Do you know of any other book series that are similar to the In Death series? Share your recommendations with the group.

message 2: by Sara ♥ (last edited Jun 15, 2012 04:04PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 961 comments IS there another series like In Death? Because I really really don't think there is....

I've yet to find one.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 961 comments The In Death books appeal to a lot of different people, too. Some are more mystery fans, some police-thriller fans, some romance fans.... So it kinda depends on which angle you're coming from.

You hit the nail on the head. I started it for the mystery/police procedural angle and was surprised to find the romance.

message 6: by Sara ♥ (last edited Jun 15, 2012 06:48PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 961 comments And I read it for the romance... haha! (Well, mostly for a reading challenge, but still.)

So what else is out there that can cover this many genres in one series and have readers feel satisfied with what drew them in? Tough act to follow.

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 962 comments ♨.Miz ♨ wrote: "Has anyone read the Rob Ryan and Cassie Maddox series by Tana French ? The first one isnLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder"

what are the books about, Miz?

Valerie | 24 comments I just read one by Martina Cole - Hard Girls. It's a later book in a series but it shared some elements with In Death - police investigator with long term romance with criminal mastermind. Kind of wondered if Cole had ripped off Robb.

Imjstgr8 | 6 comments Sue Grafton (for a female lead character/detective)

Sara Paretsky as well..

Deageo | 1 comments something similar is the serie Fatal Affair  by Marie Force Fatal Justice by Marie Force Fatal Consequences (Fatal, #3) by Marie Force Fatal Destiny by Marie Force Fatal Flaw  by Marie Force
Washington, D.C., Metro Police Detective Sergeant Sam Holland needs a big win to salvage her career--and her confidence--after a disastrous investigation. The perfect opportunity arises when Senator John O'Connor is found brutally murdered in his bed, and Sam is assigned to the case. Matters get complicated when Sam has to team up with Nick Cappuano, O'Connor's friend and chief of staff...and the man Sam had a memorable one-night stand with years earlier. Their sexual chemistry still sizzles, and Sam has to fight to stay focused on the case. Sleeping with a material witness is another mistake she can't afford--especially when the bodies keep piling up

I have these books but haven't started them.

Quynh (Caskett) | 746 comments hm now I know what series to start once I'm done with Kristen Ashley books.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 961 comments *to-read*

See what you started Deageo:)

Carolyn (Carolync228) | 4 comments Hi, I don't know if it's okay to mention e-reader brands, but I have a NookColor, so last night after I found this topic, I looked up Fatal Affair. It definitely looks like one I want to read. B&N lets you read samples, and these really caught my attention. Anyway, for anyone who has a B&N e-reader they're giving Fatal Destiny away free. I'd rather read them in order, so I downloaded it, but think I'll wait till I can afford the 1st one. Hope this helps someone.

Thanks, Carolyn! It's also free on Amazon.

Carolyn (Carolync228) | 4 comments Thanks, Jonetta. I'll have to let my sister know.

Jim (foxkilo4) The Kate Martinelli seriesA Grave Talent
They're pretty good

message 20: by Jonetta (last edited Sep 17, 2012 02:39AM) (new)

I haven't heard of that one. Will check it out.

message 21: by Jim (last edited Sep 17, 2012 05:29AM) (new)

Jim (foxkilo4) these are ok too, its up to V so plenty of reading if you like it Kinsey Millone seris by Sue Grafton
A is for Alibi

Heidi (heidid73) | 25 comments I have to put in a plug for one of my other favorite authors, Lois McMaster Bujold. There are definitely a few of her books that have similar elements to the In Death books, but the reason I mention them is that what draws you in are her characters. They are much more Science Fiction than Mystery or Romance, but have elements of all three.

She is most well-known for her series of books set in the far future known (broadly) as the "Vorkosigan" series. There are some really good mysteries in the mix - specifically "Memory," "Komarr," "Diplomatic Immunity," and "Cryoburn." For those who like science fiction, just start at the beginning with "Shards of Honor" and you'll never look back.

There is less of the romance aspect to her books than the In Death series (very little sex, but quite a bit of romance, I guess, in Komarr). But her characters can make me laugh, cry, and rage right alongside them. And the mysteries are very puzzling. The main character is nothing like Roarke - his appeal is all personality and character, not Irish sexiness. But the books are amazing. Highly recommended! The only caveat is that "Memory" is about halfway through the storyline of that character, and needs some of the background story to be fully appreciated.

Astha Kapoor (Faithfullyyours) | 20 comments I have just started reading Flirting With Danger, the first in the series by Suzanne Enoch.

OMG, guys, even though I know I know that no other series is ever gonna have the same elements as In Death, I still really like this one. I had been trolling this page for recommendations before, and I just read a line by the female character that made me go, "Holy heck, I have to tell everyone else, this is a lot like In Death!"

The woman is Sam, a thief (like Roarke--thief with scruples, doesn't kill, blah blah). The guy is Richard (Rick), an uber-rich Brit. She once thinks that "he could buy a country".

She doesn't trust easily, and in the beginning he is also suspicious of her. But do you guys remember how Eve said "It was like being hit by a brick" about seeing Roarke for the first time? It was kinda like that for these two.

I have three characters who I think might me recurring secondary characters. There is wit, and spontaneous one-liners.

I just read this about Sam:
Sam stood and burrowed back into the massive closet, which seemed to have given birth to even more clothes overnight.

Sound familiar?

You can find out more about the book, or download it for free, here .

Ladyacct | 115 comments Believe it or not Marcia Clark writes really good mystery - legal thrillers and Linda Castillo has this series Kate Burkholder (movie has been done on first book) which are good too BUT book 3 did alot of rehashing (WHICH I TOTALLY HATE).

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 961 comments Sworn to Silence is the first book... I just looked it up...

Ladyacct | 115 comments Really good book too and i was quite surprised by Marcia Clark series of Rachel ????

Ladyacct | 115 comments They are not like In death though no futuristic syfy things both are contemporary stories but good ones though and i would say worth the time of a read..

Ladyacct | 115 comments Since it will be bloody February when we get a Roarke fix.....

Jean (OtakuMom) | 4 comments I've been reading the Night Tales series by Roberts. The series is decent but book 3, Nightshade, has a heroine who is really similar to Eve.

message 30: by Jonetta (last edited Dec 22, 2013 07:07AM) (new)

Nightshade was published in 1993...The first In Death book, Naked in Death, was released in 1995. Maybe that's not a coincidence and that story was the beginning of Eve Dallas.

message 31: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sdtaylor) | 2813 comments Mod
Interesting observation, Jonetta. I'm betting it at least planted the seed for Eve in Roberts' head...guessing, of course. This one also has that signature humor that I love in the In Death series.

Jean (OtakuMom) | 4 comments Jonetta wrote: "Nightshade was published in 1993...The first In Death book, Naked in Death, was released in 1995. Maybe that's not a coincidence and that story was the beginning of Eve ..."

That's what I thought too...How Eve was born....

I've been trying to get some kind of fix before the next In Death book comes out and though the Night Tales aren't exactly the same, the series seems to fill the void a little for me. Nightshade was a very pleasant surprise.

I haven't read that series, Jean, as no one seems to ever talk about it. Now you've got me interested.

Ladyacct | 115 comments Lois McMaster Bujold

Jean (OtakuMom) | 4 comments I've just re-read Night Shadow; the Night Tales series is definitely the precursor to the In Death series. I didn't make the connection before but now I see it. Also the character banter is developing in it too.

The main hero is rich and has a network of computers illegally hacking into systems for information. The heroine's name is Deborah O'Roarke.

Jonetta: Let me know what you think. The first book, Night Shift, isn't so much but the later books definitely many elements we see in the In Death series. I think these books have recently been re-released. Not sure though.

Ladyacct | 115 comments Yes they have been rereleased and rereleased and ooppss rereleased again....oh and again.

Ashley | 5 comments Sue Grafton-Kinsey Milhone (alphabet series)
Patricia Cornwell-Kay Scarpetta series

I also like Charlaine Harris' Aurora Teagarden series (Real Murders); Lily Bard series (Shakespeare series); Harper Connelly series (in Grave Sight- a tad supernatural)
I also like Harris' Southern Vampire series if you are into that kind of reading.

Ladyacct | 115 comments Has anyone read Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure (Tara Holloway, #1) by Diane Kelly good series love the characters...

Kate | 2 comments i'm gonna try Fatal Affair and Flirting With Danger even though nobody can be like Eve & Roarke

I'm a fan of Marie Force's Fatal series. Hope you enjoy the first book.

message 41: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sdtaylor) | 2813 comments Mod
I haven't read any of those...some more for my list! lol

Kate | 2 comments I just finished Fatal Affair, I liked it, I'll surely continue the series, thanks for the suggestion!

The next book is even better.

Joc (JozC) | 12 comments Astha wrote: "I have just started reading Flirting With Danger, the first in the series by Suzanne Enoch.

OMG, guys, even though I know I know that no other series is ever gonna have the same elements as In De..."

Thanks for the book. I will check it out.

Joc (JozC) | 12 comments It's funny but I don't read the In Death series for the romance and generally do not read Nora Roberts' books. Weird I guess since it is the same person but I am not really a romance reader. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I just started the "Prey" series by John Sandford. It was mentioned on a different discussion about divorcing authors.

Joc, I read a lot of mystery/suspense that isn't romance based (but may have romantic elements like In Death). Some favorites:

1. Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly (he also has the Mickey Haller series but I haven't started it yet)
2. Detective Jackson series by L. J. Sellers
3. Inspector Banks series by Peter Robinson
4. Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben
5. Grant County series by Karin Slaughter
6. Will Trent series by Karin Slaughter (read Grant County first)
7. Dr. Tony Hill/Carol Jordan series by Val McDermid

I'm actively reading all of these now, mostly in audiobook format. Enjoying them all.

Joc (JozC) | 12 comments Jonetta,

I read the Grant County series and would love to talk about that. I don't see a forum for it but I will look again. Some really messed up stuff and characters. Some things I just couldn't see the characters doing.

That has stopped my interest in reading the Will Trent books.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will have to check them out.

Uh, oh. I read Triptych first and then was advised to go back and start the Grant County series first. I'm only up to the second book in that one.

Well, that would now be considered an author/series you divorced! I remember a year or so ago people in my Mystery & Suspense group railing about something that had happened in Grant County, which ended the series. I guess that's what you're talking about.

Maybe when I catch up we can open a discussion for it. Or, if anyone else here has read the series, feel free to open a topic in the Random folder and have an open discussion.

Sharon Michael | 88 comments Joc wrote: "It's funny but I don't read the In Death series for the romance and generally do not read Nora Roberts' books. Weird I guess since it is the same person but I am not really a romance reader. Thank..."

I'm with you on this one ... I was introduced to the In Death series through another mystery reader friend and I do tend to skip a lot of the 'romance' scenes and in general am not a romance reader. The Nora Roberts books I've read (and enjoyed) are those that do have a strong mystery element to them, which some do.

I am a long time fan of the Sandford books. Craig Johnson has a modern west series (Longmier) that is very good and you might try the early books in Thomas Perry's Jane Whitefield series, though marriage didn't work in this series for this author and the later books didn't hold up as well.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Little House in the Big Woods (other topics)
Fatal Affair (other topics)
Fatal Justice (other topics)
Fatal Consequences (other topics)
Fatal Destiny (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marcia Clark (other topics)
John Sandford (other topics)
Suzanne Enoch (other topics)