Reading with Style discussion

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3007 comments 20.10 - Liz M's task - Modernly
In honor of Ulysses, first published in 1922 and set on June 16th, read a work of modernist literature or a book by a modernist writer on one of the two linked lists.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3007 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I need book suggestions. Does anyone have any ideas?"

I really like William Faulkner, so I'm hopeful of getting to something by him. There is also Pulitzer winning Katherine Anne Porter. I have not read her short stories, but hope to get to them one day.

Rosemary | 902 comments These are some that I have on my list of possibles:

Of Mice and Men (low lexile, no style points)
The Master and Margarita
The Catcher in the Rye
Heart of Darkness
Tender is the Night

message 4: by Christin (last edited Jun 02, 2012 06:40PM) (new)

Christin (Lunaratu) | 267 comments Others from my list (as I definitely have some from above):

A Room with a View
Doctor Zhivago
The Metamorphosis
Wide Sargasso Sea
A Room of One's Own
or a book of poems by E.E. Cummings, T.S. Eliot, or Robert Frost

Connie | 214 comments I'm partial to Kafka, so I may go for The Metamorphosis and Other Stories; he's just brilliant, and underneath all the angst there's a lot of humour.
A Room with a View has been on my tbr list for some time, as has The Sun Also Rises.
I read and very much enjoyed "The Master and Margarita" for the spring challenge (hence I picked it as a group read), because it is really funny, absurd, and engaging.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3007 comments Connie wrote: "I read and very much enjoyed "The Master and Margarita" for the spring challenge (hence I picked it as a group read), because it is really funny, absurd, and engaging. "

I'm so glad you did, too. I hadn't considered this one when I was compiling my possibilities. Our local copy is in the University library and I'm not certain I'll have access in the summer, but I've added it in just in case.

Jenifer (jensamaha) | 149 comments I'm thinking of reading The Great Gatsby as it will be a combo with alliteration (or the other way around lol).

message 8: by Bea (last edited Jun 06, 2012 03:14PM) (new)

Bea I found one! Sons and Lovers

And, if I am doing this right, it will score combo points for 10.7 and 20.7 and oldies points for pub 1913. Right?

message 9: by Liz M (last edited Jun 06, 2012 04:47PM) (new)

Liz M | 2582 comments Bea wrote: "I found one! Sons and Lovers

And, if I am doing this right, it will score combo points for 10.7 and 20.7 and oldies points for pub 1913. Right?"

Yes, and it will earn some jumbo points as well.

Bea Liz M wrote: "Yes, and it will earn some jumbo point"

Sorry, Liz, I got lazy and did not link to the correct edition. My copy is much smaller. When I post, I will make sure I link to the right copy.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 3007 comments It doesn't matter which edition you read, the page count we will use is from the GR most popular edition.