On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

To Kill a Mockingbird
This topic is about To Kill a Mockingbird
To Kill a Mockingbird > The Great American Novel?

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Everitt (last edited Jun 01, 2012 02:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Everitt | 490 comments So simply put, I'm going to ask this to the group: Is 'To Kill a Mockingbird' the Great American Novel? Why or why not, and how would you define GAM?

A brief working definition via Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_A...

And this is a great article on the novel at fifty
http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/ne...

If you've not finished the novel the article does contain a few spoilers. So I've included a few quotes about the novel.

"It's our national novel," proclaims Oprah Winfrey.

"It changed how people think," said former first lady and lifetime book lover Laura Bush at a national book festival in 2003.

"Best Novel of the Century," according to a poll of librarians by Library Journal in 1999.

Teachers and librarians continue to be the book's most fervent fans. "I think about this book at least once a day — it's magic, the way she uses language and the characters she creates, there's a stickiness to them," says Gary Anderson, an English and American studies teacher (30 years) at William Fremd High School in Palatine, Ill., who taught the book for years. "It's a great example of literary excellence that is accessible to students and highly teachable. "

This last quote especially led me to wonder, must a novel be teachable to be the GAM? Or must it be teachable to be great at all? I'm not so sure about that.

I wonder, perhaps cynically, whether we can call a novel great simply because it was required reading. It's a bit of a chicken vs. egg question. Is the novel great because we were told it is great at school, or is it taught at school because it was great?

My personal thoughts on the book have changed over the years. At school I didn't like it at all and resented having to read it. Later on I did read it, but it's not my favorite novel. It's good, but I have a hard time classifying it as great. Perhaps my perspective has been tainted by unpleasant reading when I would have rather been doing other things as a teenager.

As you are reading ask yourself how this compaires to other GAMs for example
The Great Gatsby, The Grapes of Wrath, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I had to read them all in school and did not appreciate them at the time. Though over the years my opinion has changed. Perhaps that is inevitable as we change over time so to do our tastes. But maybe foisting some of these stories on kids with the instructions to read them because they are great is doing more to put people off great literature than it is to turn them on to it.

What's your take SLT? Sorry if I was rambling, work is heavy lately and I don't have much time to compose my thoughts more carefully.

Jessie J (subseti) | 324 comments I hate the last quote, personally. I don't think that has anything to do with a "Great American Novel." If it sticks in our psyche, then yes, there's something "great" about it. But "teachability"--gack!

And while I love it, I don't think about it daily, or weekly, or monthly--maybe not even every year.

I've never even considered Mockingbird as a candidate for GAM. It may be the Great "Southern" Novel, but that would be my own opinion.

Christopher (chriswinters) Jessie wrote: "I hate the last quote, personally. I don't think that has anything to do with a "Great American Novel." If it sticks in our psyche, then yes, there's something "great" about it. But "teachabilit..."

I think this is a great topic, Everitt. I'm in both yours and Jessie's camp, that of thinking that it's a really good novel, but not quite great. And Jessie makes a great point that it might be the Great Southern Novel. After all, if someone thinks "Southern novel", the free association is more than likely TKAM. For me, it wasn't the fact that it was assigned reading in high school that it didn't knock my socks off; my experience is similar to Jessie's, that "while I love it, I don't think about it daily".

I think one of the big reasons that everyone loves TKAM is its sense of nostalgia. I didn't grow up in the 30s South, but it still feels like I lived Scout's story. I can remember playing outside on hot summer nights, I remember the "haunted house" with the creepy family living in it, and I remember discovering that the world is not as simple or as good as I thought. The only person who can write nostalgia and coming-of-age stories like TKAM is Ray Bradbury (see: Dandelion Wine).

I've actually started a bookshelf for candidates for The Great American Novel, since it's such a great concept to think about. I think The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Grapes of Wrath, and The Catcher in the Rye are great ones. Some newer ones I think are appropriate are Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and Dave Eggers' A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.

Jessie J (subseti) | 324 comments "The Grapes of Wrath" sprang to mind immediately, and I think "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" is a good candidate. I haven't read "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius," but I am now intrigued...

Everitt | 490 comments Thanks Christopher. I would agree with you on Huck Finn and Grapes, but the others were never to my liking. I've not read or even begun Egger's book. I've tried working through Chabon's writing before but it's just not for me.

Personally, my shelf for a GAM would include A Confederacy of Dunces, A Farewell to Arms (or possibly The Sun Also Rises, despite the fact that neither is set in the US), As I Lay Dying, and A River Runs Through It and Other Stories. Though those might not really be appropriate as none really captures a zeitgeist of America.

One thing that TKAM has going for it in the plus column of GAM is that it was published at the outset of the 20th Century civil rights push. I think that it did the same for Americans that Uncle Tom's Cabin did prior to the outbreak of the Civil War. Since few people in the '50s had televisions and there was no internet of course it could be hard to experience the reality of segregation if you did not experience it on a daily basis. And if you were white and experienced it daily there was a good chance you were raised to approve of it. Thus TKAM I think may have been instrumental in making injustice vivid and real in the minds of those whose lives were less touched by and influenced by race in the 50s.

message 6: by Mike, "Lawyer Stevens" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 1924 comments Mod
Everitt wrote: "One thing that TKAM has going for it in the plus column of GAM is that it was published at the outset of the 20th Century civil rights push. "

Following are some horrific numbers. They speak for themselves. It is a national shame, and, yes, a Southern Shame.

You can't just consider the outset of the Civil Rights Movement as being the impetus pushing TKAM to the plus column for a Great American Novel, but the cruelty of history leading up to it.

Lynchings: By State and Race, 1882-1968 *

State White Black Total
Alabama 48 299 347
Arizona 31 0 31
Arkansas 58 226 284
California 41 2 43
Colorado 65 3 68
Delaware 0 1 1
Florida 25 257 282
Georgia 39 492 531
Idaho 20 0 20
Illinois 15 19 34
Indiana 33 14 47
Iowa 17 2 19
Kansas 35 19 54
Kentucky 63 142 205
Louisiana 56 335 391
Maine 1 0 1
Maryland 2 27 29
Michigan 7 1 8
Minnesota 5 4 9
Mississippi 42 539 581
Missouri 53 69 122
Montana 82 2 84
Nebraska 52 5 57
Nevada 6 0 6
New Jersey 1 1 2
New Mexico 33 3 36
New York 1 1 2
North Carolina 15 86 101
North Dakota 13 3 16
Ohio 10 16 26
Oklahoma 82 40 122
Oregon 20 1 21
Pennsylvania 2 6 8
South Carolina 4 156 160
South Dakota 27 0 27
Tennessee 47 204 251
Texas 141 352 493
Utah 6 2 8
Vermont 1 0 1
Virginia 17 83 100
Washington 25 1 26
West Virginia 20 28 48
Wisconsin 6 0 6
Wyoming 30 5 35
Total 1,297 3,446 4,743
*Statistics provided by the Archives at Tuskegee Institute.
http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects...

Below are the highlights of the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement. http://www.infoplease.com/spot/civilr...

It wasn't until 1948 that Harry Truman issued an executive order that no member of the armed forces could be discriminated against because of race, creed, or national origin.

1954--The United States Supreme Court decides Brown v. Board of Education overturning the principal that "separate but equal" opportunities were constitutional.

1955--August--Fourteen-year-old Chicagoan Emmett Till is visiting family in Mississippi when he is kidnapped, brutally beaten, shot, and dumped in the Tallahatchie River for allegedly whistling at a white woman. Two white men, J. W. Milam and Roy Bryant, are arrested for the murder and acquitted by an all-white jury. They later boast about committing the murder in a Look magazine interview. The case becomes a cause célèbre of the civil rights movement.

Photobucket
Emmett Till

1955--December, (Montgomery, Ala.) NAACP member Rosa Parks refuses to give up her seat at the front of the "colored section" of a bus to a white passenger, defying a southern custom of the time. In response to her arrest the Montgomery black community launches a bus boycott, which will last for more than a year, until the buses are desegregated Dec. 21, 1956. As newly elected president of the Montgomery Improvement Association (MIA), Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., is instrumental in leading the boycott.

Photobucket

Arrest of Rosa Parks

1957--September(Little Rock, Ark.) Formerly all-white Central High School learns that integration is easier said than done. Nine black students are blocked from entering the school on the orders of Governor Orval Faubus. President Eisenhower sends federal troops and the National Guard to intervene on behalf of the students, who become known as the "Little Rock Nine."

Photobucket

Norman Rockwell's "Little Rock"

1960--Feb. 1 (Greensboro, N.C.) Four black students from North Carolina Agricultural and Technical College begin a sit-in at a segregated Woolworth's lunch counter. Although they are refused service, they are allowed to stay at the counter. The event triggers many similar nonviolent protests throughout the South. Six months later the original four protesters are served lunch at the same Woolworth's counter. Student sit-ins would be effective throughout the Deep South in integrating parks, swimming pools, theaters, libraries, and other public facilities.

This is the history and the state of racial relationships when Harper Lee wrote TKAM. It was a gutsy thing to do. Choose to believe it, or not, it took courage to write and publish this novel at the time Harper Lee did it.

There is no suppose to the proposition that lawyers were once children, although I have wondered on rare occasion about a few. I am a lawyer who was a child during the tumult of the civil rights movement when things turned violent. I am pushing 60 now. But I still remember seeing the Klan march in my home town. They waved signs at black American families saying "Coon served here" outside a family restaurant near the University of Alabama Campus.

I remember the Whites Only and Blacks Only signs at water fountains and over restroom doors.

I watched George Wallace stand in the door of Foster Auditorium to bar admission of black students to the University of Alabama. Though I watched on television the event was happening only three miles from my home.

Photobucket

George Wallace in the Schoolhouse Door

A man named Bobby Shelton was the Grand Dragon of the KKK. Headquarters were in my own home County. The Klan was finally bankrupted in Alabama in 1981 by a suit filed by Morris Dees who founded the Southern Poverty Law Center when he successfully sued the Klan for lynching a young black man Michael Donald who was hung from a street lamp in Mobile, Alabama.

Today "Hate Crimes" abound. They are classified as a crime in a unique category resulting in higher penalties upon conviction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime

Now, Alabama lawmakers are embroiled in seeking to pass an immigration law more strict than Arizona's.

The central character of TKAM, Atticus Finch, has influenced countless men and women to become attorneys. Both Atticus Finch and Gavin Stevens, fictional characters, influenced me to pursue a legal career.

So, in answer to whether TKAM is THE GAN, my answer is there is no single Great American Novel. It is a subjective question unique to the individual reader.

However, as long as racism and prejudice against any class exists in our country or in the world, TKAM will remain a positive force to counter those negative attitudes. And for that, TKAM is among the great American Novels. There are many of them.

Mike
Lawyer Stevens

Jessie J (subseti) | 324 comments For future discussions, let me add the Southern Poverty Law Center's 2011 "hate map" of active hate groups:

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed...

There are lots more--these are just the ones that fulfill the "active" definition by SPLC.

message 8: by Mike, "Lawyer Stevens" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessie wrote: "For future discussions, let me add the Southern Poverty Law Center's 2011 "hate map" of active hate groups:

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed...

There are lots more--these are just the ..."

Thanks, Jessie. Good addition. In front of the Center is a large water feature. Rushing streams of water fall over a plaque reading, "Until Justice Flows Down Like Waters."--Amos 5:24. A visit to the Center is something not soon forgotten.

Franky | 134 comments I agree with many of the points here. I do think that, like Mike said, it is a bit subjective to choose a great American novel. I would consider The Grapes of Wrath closer example to a great American novel, mainly because it not only deals with the Depression era, hope of finding a piece of the American Dream, but also the many obstacles the Okies faced along the way. It is a little bit more all encompassing about many aspects of American culture. However, To Kill a Mockingbird is still a great Southern novel, one of the finest ever written, as Christopher pointed out.

Jayme I think a great American novel should reflect the time period that it was written and be an honest portrayal of that time period. Therefore, we can't possibly have one great American novel - times change.

message 11: by Flash Beagle (last edited Jun 02, 2012 03:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Flash Beagle | 41 comments What a great question! (Mods, this group has the best discussions!)

I think it is the Great American Novel. The GANs - and thanks for the list! - seem to be about and by the 'dominant' aka 'white' society, so for a Great 'American' Novel, since America is a land of immigrants, and still trying to be the great melting pot, you have to include the experience of people of color - somewhere - and the experience is best represented by African Americans, who have continually gotten the worst of it, except for maybe Native Americans. A GAN should also have turmoil, change, and stand at a cross roads signifying those things because America has too many aspects, is too dynamic, to ever be static. Given the racial aspect, this would be my candidate for GAN: Harper Lee wonderfully juxtaposes all elements - race, age, views on mental illness, prejudices entrenched with the help of the legal system - it's really incredible.

message 12: by Mike, "Lawyer Stevens" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jayme wrote: "I think a great American novel should reflect the time period that it was written and be an honest portrayal of that time period. Therefore, we can't possibly have one great American novel - times ..."

Jayme, I think you've hit the nail on the head. The Zeitqeist element of a particular piece of literature changes as times and attitudes do.

But there are those particular novels that draw us back repeatedly, no matter in what era they were written. So, I agree with you completely that there can be only one great American Novel.

For a fascinating look at the American Novel, tour PBS' website on The Masters, The American Novel. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americannovel...

Mike
Lawyer Stevens

Everitt | 490 comments Thanks Flash, so glad you are enjoying the discussions.

The inclusion of the article 'the' tends to make it sound like The Great America Novel is a single entity. I don't believe it is especially if you apply the zeitgeist criteria. I think the use of the phrase The Great American Novel should be seen as potentially singular but primarily plural.

But if you had to come up with a definition for Greatness in the American Novel, what would your criteria be? Is there any single novel that fits it? If not, what novels would you put on the list?

Jessie J (subseti) | 324 comments Everitt wrote: "I've tried working through Chabon's writing before..."

Me too, and "Kavalier and Clay" is the only one that I managed to finish. I *loved* it. I think that one is worth a shot, even if you dislike Chabon in general.

It definitely fits the zeitgeist criteria, as well (which is, I think, a good one).

Another thing that might indicate a Great American Novel is our desire to revisit it and reshape it in some way. The best example of this (*not* American) would probably be Shakespeare, which has been redone and reworked in any number of ways to reflect different eras and ideas. Maybe "Huckleberry Finn" fits into this category.

I noticed some items from the Wikipedia list and the PBS list that caught my eye:

1. "Moby Dick" is a very strong contender (did anyone read Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer? Naslund is from Birmingham, AL, I believe--great book!).

2. Just finished a reread of "Little, Big" with another group. Its influences are still too British, to me, for it to be a serious contender.

3. Octavia Butler might be a good author to be on the list. If we put one post-apocalyptic novelist on there, though, that opens up a whole can of worms.

4. "Song of Solomon" probably could move to the Great American Novel list rather than the Great Southern Novel list.

Randall Luce | 69 comments Like others here, I don't think you can come up with one Great American Novel because this country is just too diverse in region, race, and era for one book to encompass everything. Perhaps Huckleberry Finn comes closest. I'd include Invisible Man on any list of GANs. (For what it's worth, my personal favorite Great Southern Novel is All the King's Men.)

I don't think anybody can overstate the courage it took for Harper Lee to write Mockingbird when she did. But I think people nowadays often read it through a modern lens. It wasn't about segregation -- I don't think Atticus speaks a word about segregation in the whole book. (I now wait for somebody to prove me wrong!) It was about simple justice for a black man wrongfully accused. The lynching numbers up above show just how "controversial" simple justice was at the time Mockingbird came out (view spoiler). I think that it's important to remember that, in terms of what this country was, and what it is today. That Mockingbird is so beloved today is some measure of what we've gone through and, hopefully, Harper Lee took some pride in her small role in that journey.

message 16: by Mike, "Lawyer Stevens" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Randall wrote: "Like others here, I don't think you can come up with one Great American Novel because this country is just too diverse in region, race, and era for one book to encompass everything. Perhaps Huckle..."

Beautifully stated.

Mike
Lawyer Stevens

message 17: by Mike, "Lawyer Stevens" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessie wrote: "Everitt wrote: "I've tried working through Chabon's writing before..."

Me too, and "Kavalier and Clay" is the only one that I managed to finish. I *loved* it. I think that one is worth a shot, e..."

I would add Beloved by Toni Morrison.

And, yes, I love Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer by Sena Jeter Naslund. But more in the Southern genre, have you read her Four Spirits dealing with the Civil Rights Movement in Birmingham in the 1960s which she witnessed growing up there. The four spirits are those of the four children killed in the bombing of the Sixteenth Avenue Baptist Church on September 15, 1963. It would make an excellent group read.

Photobucket

The bombing was carried out by members of the Ku Klux Klan.

Photobucket

The four girls killed during the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing. Clockwise from top left: Addie Mae Collins (aged 14), Cynthia Wesley (aged 14), Carole Robertson (aged 14) and Denise McNair (aged 11)

Mike
Lawyer Stevens

Jessie J (subseti) | 324 comments Mike wrote: "But more in the Southern genre, have you read her Four Spirits dealing with the Civil Rights Movement in Birmingham in the 1960s which she witnessed growing up there. The four spirits are those of the four children killed in the bombing of the Sixteenth Avenue Baptist Church on September 15, 1963. It would make an excellent group read."

Haven't read that one, and I'd love to read it with the group. She is one of those authors that I read just for the language.

Flash Beagle | 41 comments Everitt wrote: "Thanks Flash, so glad you are enjoying the discussions.

The inclusion of the article 'the' tends to make it sound like The Great America Novel is a single entity. I don't believe it is especially..."

This is such an interesting topic and a completely subjective thing. I think most, if not all, would agree that it's not definable in terms of a single book.

But what would be interesting, for the sake of delving further into discussion, would be to pose a hypothetical question:
If you had to choose The Great American Novel, which would you choose? Explain.
And to make it even more interesting, from an academic perspective, not choosing or saying you can't choose one would not be an option.
It would be interesting to see what people came up with. There is certainly no right or wrong answer, it's really a thought-rationale type thing. (I know what my candidate would be :P, and strangely enough, William Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom, contributed to it.)
Anyway, this is a fun topic!

Everitt | 490 comments Flash Beagle wrote: "Everitt wrote: "Thanks Flash, so glad you are enjoying the discussions.

The inclusion of the article 'the' tends to make it sound like The Great America Novel is a single entity. I don't believe ..."

This is a good exercise indeed Flash, thank you for suggesting it. I like that the notion of picking one single book for The Great American Novel. It reveals quite a bit about what one considers quintessentially American. If you had to freeze frame on one moment and place in American history to explain such a broad place and diverse people to a Martian what book would you choose.

I'll take a crack at it.

I'll throw my word behind The Great Gatsby.

This is because as someone much smarter than I am once said (I'm paraphrasing) "it wasn't enough for Gatz to have achieved the American Dream, he had to have always had it."

I think the setting and time (Roaring 20s; The Hamptons, New York) are the perfect backdrop for the conflict between those who have earned material wealth and those to whom wealth was a birthright.

And achieving a better life for yourself and your family is the essence of America. If you had to distill the country into one thing it would be the opportunity for a better life, no guarantees though. But you can reinvent yourself, you can change who you used to be. We are not shackled by the status of our birth.

And the beauty and the genius of Gatsby lies with Fitzgerald's ability to portray the reciprocal of the American Dream - the story of a man who made his fortune illegally and then chose reinvent himself in order to have the life, and the woman, he wanted.

The story holds power for me because it leaves me wondering whether what Gatz did was so bad in the first place. As a teenager, yes of course he was a bad guy and a liar and a fraud. But from the point of view of an adult who has realized that the world is full of double standards I wonder if he was really in the wrong. He is really no different than Daisy or Tom or Jordan. Everyone in the novel is living a lie in some way. The only difference is that Gatz wasn't born rich and the others were.

I'll end here as 1) this is not a thread about Gatsby, and 2) yea my thoughts are a bit disorganized after working all day. But hopefully some of you got the gist of what I was saying. Gatsby is, for me, the Great American Novel because it is the only story I can think of that addresses so much of what the promise of American was, and is.

Randall Luce | 69 comments Everitt wrote: "I'll throw my word behind The Great Gatsby"

I really like the ending of Gatsby: the "dark fields of the republic" rolling under the night; the "boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." (Actually, that's a very Faulknerian sentiment.)

But, for my money, I'd go, as I said before, with Huckleberry Finn: it's got race, it's got class, it's got the Mississippi River splitting this great country in two, and it's probably the first real exploration of that most American of themes, the individual in rebellion against his society. How many American literary heroes have since followed Huck's footsteps 'lighting out to the territories?' (And there, in it's conclusion, it even has the Wild West. Imagine what that sequel would have been like!)

I think that, for its time, it told more about America than any other book has done in it's time.

Flash Beagle | 41 comments Great comments Everitt and Randall, so wonderfully expressed . . . hm, more food for thought, very rich. Reading these comments enriches the experience of both books.

Wordsmith (WordsmithIsReading) | 20 comments One interest of note to add: As I was researching my notes and timelines to review "The Help" due to some issues I had with Stockett's premise, I discovered one event that quite literally floored me. And while I get no pleasure in shining the bright light of shame on my own hometown, neither do I think very much of sweeping history under a rug woven with the threads of personal suffering. Having said that, here is an excerpt from my review with the links underneath. I'm curious? How many of you are familiar with the day, or the moniker—"Bloody Tuesday?"

It took place at the First African Baptist Church on June 8, 1964. The young, slim Minister of that church, the Reverend T. Y. Rogers had been placed there by none other than Dr. Martin Luther King himself. He had planned a simple, peaceful walk to the County Courthouse to protest the fact there was no colored drinking fountain for them to drink from and only one colored restroom in the whole building for them to use. Our courthouse is nine stories high.

This was a very well planned operation that came to be known as "Bloody Tuesday." This is in reference to the Selma marches which are referred to as "Bloody Sunday." Indeed, accounts from eyewitness's that day confirm this event was as filled with as much, if not more brutality and violence as would later occur in Selma. A prominent Negro figure in Tuscaloosa Politics, who had a direct line to Dr. King as well as Bobby Kennedy who is now more forthcoming, when saying, "The Selma police and guardsmen learned from what occurred in Tuscaloosa that morning." Over 50 people were so badly injured they required medical attention at the local hospital. Another 90+ were injured but did not seek medical help. There were reports of victims getting wounds sewn up without being cleansed or numbed. It was also said the attack that day on the Church was planned and executed "with Gestapo like tactics."

Tommy Stevenson, a reporter for the Tuscaloosa News, who first reported this story in 2009 makes the call that as this event was sandwiched in-between the bigger events of the bombing at the 16th St. Baptist Church and the Selma marches it just didn't get much press coverage. He also noted, as there were no State or Nat'l media on hand, it made things easier for our local officials in making this ugly incident "go away." But there are still plenty of local Tuscaloosan's who were actually there that day. Some that were injured. Some that were arrested. Some that DID the arresting.

The Tuscaloosa News had won a Pulitzer Prize in 1959 for an editorial taking on the Klan. It IS confusing that media coverage for, what was referred to as "in the hellhole of Alabama" and "gestapo tactics" and "Bloody Tuesday" would have received such sketchy reporting in what was, a very well written, well run newspaper, for that time. I have NEVER, at any stage of my education or reading, come across this incident. I had to go question my mother. The year was 1964, we, at that time were living in Rolla, Missouri, I had a brand new little sister. My mother's memory is vague, at best, on all this. She does, however, recall her mother writing her about the incident. Just another day in the South.

LINKS: Sorry-Some are duplicates to some links posted above.

http://civilrights.ua.edu/?page_id=71
Hanging of Harry Mack
http://civilrights.ua.edu/?page_id=135
Safe House
http://www.watson.org/~lisa/blackhist...
Selma March
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selma_to...
Selma March
http://malonehoodplaza.ua.edu/panorama/
Malone Hood Lucy U of A
http://faculty.smu.edu/dsimon/Change-...
Civil Rights Timeline 1954-1963
http://www.archives.alabama.gov/govs_...
Governor Wallace's Speech at School Room Door
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article...
Tuscaloosa Bloody Tuesday
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article...
http://stevensonblog.blogs.tuscaloosa...
http://encyclopediaofalabama.org/face...
Amazing Article on how high up the corruption went regarding the murder of Viola Liuzzo. Read This.
http://video.tuscaloosanews.com/video...
Interview with activist Maxie
Thomas
http://stevensonblog.blogs.tuscaloosa...
More on Bloody Tuesday and other things as well. Tommy Stevensons Blog.

Robin | 34 comments Everitt,

I agree - if there's one Great American Novel, Huckleberry Finn is it for me, for reasons you mentioned.

And Hemingway said it really well: "All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called 'Huckleberry Finn.' If you read it you must stop where Jim is stolen from the boys. That is the real end. The rest is just cheating. But it's the best book we've had. All American writing comes from that. There was nothing before. There has been nothing as good since."

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Great Gatsby (other topics)
The Grapes of Wrath (other topics)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (other topics)
Dandelion Wine (other topics)
The Catcher in the Rye (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Toni Morrison (other topics)
Sena Jeter Naslund (other topics)