What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

The Island and the Ring
This topic is about The Island and the Ring
SOLVED: Children's/YA > Fantasy book- prince/nobleman plays a lute, girl has to runaway as palace/town gets destroyed. [s]

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aarushi (last edited Sep 06, 2012 07:37AM) (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments I read this book ages ago and can't remember the name at all. I only remember vague parts but remember loving it.

Beginning: it's about this nobleman/prince who can play the lute really well but he's crippled or something and he partly hates himself for it. The girl in the book listens to him playing in a room but there are two people there and the nobleman thinks she loves the other guy. This is just before the city is set on fire.

Middle: For some reason, she gets a horse and runs away and finds herself in a community in a ravine sort of place and if she leaves there then the 'evil' people will somehow find her. She gets settled in and the prince/nobleman finds her there.

I don't know what happens after that. I have been wanting to find this book for so long so if anyone could help at all that would be fantastic!

Also, if it helps at all, I remember the cover was a girl on a horse sort of lying down on it. It was snowy and in the background is the city on fire or something (may be making this last little bit up though)...

Thank you :)

message 2: by Kagama-the Literaturevixen (last edited Jun 03, 2012 09:31AM) (new) - added it

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 592 comments Aarushi wrote: "I read this book ages ago and can't remember the name at all. I only remember vague parts but remember loving it.

Beginning: it's about this nobleman/prince who can play the lute really well but h..."

Did it have any illustrations? Is it an older book?

I thought it might be The donkey prince
or The Donkey Prince

Theyre both based on a fairytale. The donkey prince plays the lute in both.

The Angela Carter book also looks like this
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I...

message 3: by Aarushi (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments Ah, thank you but unfortunately it wasn't a children's book. I think it was YA. I read it when I was about 12 or 13.

But thank you for that, may have to go read those anyway :)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 592 comments Aarushi wrote: "Ah, thank you but unfortunately it wasn't a children's book. I think it was YA. I read it when I was about 12 or 13.

But thank you for that, may have to go read those anyway :)"

Well I think Angela Carter isnt precisely a childrens books author lol.

The second one seems to be though. Do you remember anything else about the book?

When did you read it? I mean what year were you that age? It could help to know.

message 5: by Aarushi (last edited Sep 06, 2012 07:38AM) (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments Hm, about the ravine place, it kind of had like a protective aura around it or something. Urgh, yeah I'm so annoyed that I can't really remember anything else about it.

I read it around 2003-2005. It wasn't really a new book though.

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 592 comments Aarushi wrote: "Hm, about the ravine place, it was kind of had like a protective aura around it or something. Urgh, yeah I'm so annoyed that I can't really remember anything else about it.

I read it around 2003-2..."

I know how it is. Still waiting for someone to find my "lost" book. :/

message 7: by Aarushi (last edited Sep 06, 2012 07:39AM) (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments Haha, it's frustrating isn't it? It doesn't help that I don't think my one was very popular... Oh well, I guess we can just wait and hope :)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 592 comments Aarushi wrote: "Haha, it's frustrating isn't it? It doesn't help that I don't think my one was very propular... Oh well, I guess we can just wait and hope :)"

Wishing and hoping~

Mine isnt either :( Popular I mean. So,so annoying.

message 9: by Aarushi (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments I thought this needed bumping up :)

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 5827 comments Mod
Hey, no need to dispair. Someone some time will recognize it if you just keep bumping it. I had one ID-ed after almost 3 years. Still have a couple up that have been in the queues almost that long.

message 11: by Aarushi (last edited Sep 06, 2012 07:39AM) (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments Haha, wow, three years, that's pretty cool. Yeah, just gonna keep hoping that I will eventually figure out what the name of this book is.

message 12: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (Clare-Dragonfly) | 53 comments Oh, this sounds really familiar. I'm turning on notifications so I'll hear when this thread is updated, because I want to know what it is, too!

If it's based on a fairy tale, though, I might just be remembering the tale...

message 13: by Aarushi (last edited Sep 03, 2012 01:00AM) (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments Haha, that's cool. I'm not sure if it was based on a fairytale (or not any that I've heard of) but I wouldn't be too surprised if it were :)

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss maybe???

message 15: by Aarushi (last edited Sep 06, 2012 05:19AM) (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments Unfortunately I don't think it's The Name of the Wind, although that is on my list to read and I'm really looking forward to it because I've heard it's amazing :) Thanks though!!

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13 comments It sounds similar-ish to "Goose Girl" by Shannon Hale. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it's worth checking out. And if you haven't read it, it's a good one. :)

message 17: by Aarushi (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments Sarah wrote: "It sounds similar-ish to "Goose Girl" by Shannon Hale. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it's worth checking out. And if you haven't read it, it's a good one. :)"

I just read the synopsis of this book and it does sound really good (something I would really enjoy) and I've added it to my to-reads list :) Unfortunately not the book I'm looking for but I love how this thread has got people recommending good books as well!

message 18: by Yue (new)

Yue | 123 comments It has similarities to Princess of the Midnight Ballby Jessica Day.. I may be wrong, but you could check it out...

message 19: by Aarushi (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments I feel terrible for constantly saying no when everyone's being so helpful but I don't think this is the book I'm looking for either.

But I loove books based on fairytales so I might have to give this one a read as well, thank you :)

Miriam | 668 comments Could it be something early by Patricia Wrede? many of her books include at least some of the elements (lute playing, evil shadow people, runaway princesses) although I can't think of one that sounds exactly like your story.

Kelsie Beaudoin (The Bookworm) (readbookwormread) | 3 comments Perhaps "Enna Burning" by Shannon Hale? It is YA and has the cover you talked about. I don't really remember what the book was about, just that it was good.

message 22: by Aarushi (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments Miriam wrote: "Could it be something early by Patricia Wrede? many of her books include at least some of the elements (lute playing, evil shadow people, runaway princesses) although I can't think of one that soun..."

Oh thank you, yeah they do sound sort of similar but unfortunately I don't think any of hers are the ones I'm looking for. Although I'll have to watch out for her books now. Some of them seem really interesting :)

Kelsie wrote: "Perhaps "Enna Burning" by Shannon Hale? It is YA and has the cover you talked about. I don't really remember what the book was about, just that it was good."

Haha, wow, the cover does match up nicely doesn’t it? I don’t think that’s the book I’m looking for but thank you for the suggestion :)

I’m not sure if the main female character in this was actually a princess. I can’t even remember if she was a noblewoman… Haha, I wish I could remember more about it to make this easier!

message 23: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 5827 comments Mod
Aarushi--if you like the "updated fairy tale" type book, check out Mercedes Lackey's series. She has one that's called "The 500 Kingdoms" that pretty much do a re-telling of fairy tales.

The Fairy Godmother is the first book in the series.

message 24: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (McGraced) | 77 comments It sounds a bit like Dawn Cook's Truth series, but I'm pretty sure you would have mentioned the dragons!

message 25: by Aarushi (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Aarushi--if you like the "updated fairy tale" type book, check out Mercedes Lackey's series. She has one that's called "The 500 Kingdoms" that pretty much do a re-telling of fairy tales.

The Fa..."

Oh wow, thank you :) Those look like some books I might like to read. Hopefully I can get my hands on one soon!

Meredith wrote: "It sounds a bit like Dawn Cook's Truth series, but I'm pretty sure you would have mentioned the dragons!"

Thank you Meredith! But yeah the book I was thinking of doesn't have dragons. But I may have to look into this series as well :)

message 26: by Misty (last edited Sep 10, 2012 05:29PM) (new)

Misty (StarPhoenix) | 98 comments Was the horse an important character, given it was on the cover of the book, or is it just a horse?

Mercedes Lackey has the "Heralds of Valdemar" series that features horses as major characters and I know some of the books deal with royalty. I THINK some of the characters are shown playing instruments at different points too, and I know the book is pretty heavy on politics and intrigue which would explain the character being chased out of the city or the city burning or a forbidden love sort of thing. :)

Several major characters are women too and I know a number of the book covers have women/girls and horses on them.

There's also magic but no dragons!

message 27: by Aarushi (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments Ah, unfortunately horses didn't play a major role in the books. I don't think there was a lot of magic in it either but I may be wrong about that. Perhaps it played a small part?

Thank you for the suggestion though and this series does look really interesting :)

message 28: by Misty (new)

Misty (StarPhoenix) | 98 comments Oh, ok. You mentioned something like a protective aura around the ravine so I thought maybe that meant magic. :)

I shall continue looking! At least you're getting great suggestions while you wait!

message 29: by Aarushi (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments Yeah, that might mean magic (I have actually completely forgotten :P). I don't think it was a major part though.

Aw, thank you so much!! That's really cool of you. Haha, yes!! That's so true :D

message 30: by Misty (new)

Misty (StarPhoenix) | 98 comments Could it be a "Beauty and the Beast" retelling? I was thinking since he's got what he sees as a deformity that he hates but she loves him anyway and he's wealthy. It kind of sounds like a version of Beauty and the Beast, particularly with her fleeing and him going to find her.

message 31: by Aarushi (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments Hmm, maybe. I don't think it was a retelling of Beauty and the Beast as such but maybe that's where the writer got her inspiration for it?

message 32: by Aarushi (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments I thought another bump was in order :)

message 33: by Kagama-the Literaturevixen (last edited Nov 27, 2012 05:54AM) (new) - added it

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 592 comments Im not sure ...but I think this might be your book.It matches up very well what I read from the reviews. :)

scarred lute player,check
girl escaping city check

Island and the Ring

message 34: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 1745 comments Mod
oooh, Kagama, I think you might have found it....even the cover matches the OPs description. :)

message 35: by Kagama-the Literaturevixen (last edited Nov 27, 2012 03:04PM) (new) - added it

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 592 comments Andria wrote: "oooh, Kagama, I think you might have found it....even the cover matches the OPs description. :)"

*dances around excitedly*

Yes and I wasnt even looking for it.

I mean I was looking around for interesting books and it led me to it and then when I read the reviews it just hit me "this might be it" :D

It seems like a good book too :)

message 36: by Aarushi (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "Im not sure ...but I think this might be your book.It matches up very well what I read from the reviews. :)

girl escaping city check

Island and the Ring"

Oh my gosh Kagama! This actually might be the book I was thinking about!! :D

At first, when I read the goodreads synopsis, I wasn't so sure but I did a bit of research and it does sound like it! (I think it's because I only remember weirdly specific parts and I don't remember anything about the evil guy they're trying to defeat).

Ahh, thank you sooo much!!! This book was soo good and I'm definitely going to try and get my hands on a copy again :D

Also, thank you everyone who made suggestions, I definitely got some good to-read books out of it!

message 37: by Aarushi (last edited Nov 28, 2012 02:19AM) (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments PS. That cover does match the description! This is the cover that I remember:

http://www.bookdepository.com/Island-...

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 592 comments Aarushi wrote: "Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "Im not sure ...but I think this might be your book.It matches up very well what I read from the reviews. :)

girl escaping city check

I..."

Youre very welcome.Glad I was able to help. :)

Its always like this,you only remember some things...but they stick like you say.

I think you can find a good copy on amazon or abebooks.;)

message 39: by Aarushi (new) - added it

Aarushi | 20 comments Thank you :)

Yeah, I just ordered it on fishpond and can't wait til it comes in the post!! I really want to read it again and get reacquainted with it.

I remember when I first picked it up in the library I read it again as soon as I finished it for the first time. I can't believe I don't remember more having read the book twice :P

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Donkey Prince (other topics)
The Donkey Prince (other topics)
Princess of the Midnight Ball (other topics)
The Fairy Godmother (other topics)
The Island and the Ring (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mercedes Lackey (other topics)