Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > June 2010 Group Read: The Haunted *SPOILERS*

Comments (showing 1-50 of 51) (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23394 comments Discuss.

message 2: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1249 comments I can't open this with a spoiler because I'm afraid some people (*cough* Tressa) might peek in advance but this book reminded me of the movie

(view spoiler)

Not enough to be a rip off but there was definitely a similarity.

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23394 comments Thanks for the warning. I peeked. How'd you know I would? These threads are like Blue Beard's door to me.

message 4: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1249 comments message 17: by Tressa, Moana Lisa (last edited Apr 23, 2012 10:31am) - rated it 5 stars Apr 23, 2012 10:30am
Oh, I need to stop coming to this thread till I finish the book.

I have a creepy memory and the HA community is just trying to protect you from yourself :p

message 5: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1249 comments Is it a bad idea to leave this thread open to all discussions and just mark spoilers or has that been tried and failed in the past?

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23394 comments You do have a creepy memory. I scared.

Well, the consensus is that people don't like to slog through some posts and have to click on so many spoiler tags, so feel free to post any comment about the book you want to without spoiler tags. There's a spoiler warning in the thread title so it's not like they (I) don't know there are potential spoilers in here. BUT, if you feel more comfortable using spoiler tags, knock yourself out.

I usually pop in at the beginning of the month until people finish the book and start revealing the plot.

So, post away but know that you may be alone for a while. Because I am gone. For good. This time. And will not be back until I have finished. See you around.

message 7: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1249 comments I don't believe you. You're reading this right now and you should be ashamed.

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23394 comments Busted.

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim (MimiG) | 66 comments I would absolutely love to read The Haunted, but I cannot find it! HELP!! Thanks for any comments, in advance.. :)

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23394 comments I thought it was available on for the Kindle, but you can buy the paperback from Amazon.

message 11: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1249 comments Yeah, both paper and Kindle are available at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Haunted-Mic...

message 12: by Trev (new)

Trev Twinem (runner56) | 144 comments I think I will join in on this one guys...there's nothing like a good old haunted house story...so put the lights down low...put on some low jazz (kind of blue Miles Davis?) get a nice cup of tea....burn some sweet smelling incense...be alone in the house...read late at night....enjoy...I'm getting "very afraid" already :) So just got my copy...will talk later
Trev in Bristol UK...where it's dark and windy and kind of spooky....woa...woa...woa :))

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim (MimiG) | 66 comments 11811 wrote: "Yeah, both paper and Kindle are available at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Haunted-Mic..."

Thank you for the link...I am a little strapped for extra cash at the moment, so I won't be able to buy it yet. Hopefully soon, though!! It looks like a good read...checking out the free sample! Thanks again!! :)

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23394 comments I don't think I'm going to finish this book. Does anyone want to borrow it for your Kindle?

message 15: by Trev (new)

Trev Twinem (runner56) | 144 comments Tressa wrote: "I don't think I'm going to finish this book. Does anyone want to borrow it for your Kindle?"

Well I would like to Tressa...I have only read the free kindle sample so far....

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23394 comments PM me your e-mail, Trev, and I'll try to follow the instructions to get it to you today.

message 17: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23394 comments I just sent it, Trev. Hope it works for you. Enjoy!

message 18: by Trev (new)

Trev Twinem (runner56) | 144 comments just sent you a pm Tressa....i'll have to buy...but it's a pity we cannot lend between the uk and the usa..it would have been nice "friendship" hands across the ocean :)

message 19: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23394 comments Well, we tried. Luckily it won't break the First National Bank of Trev. Hopefully loaning across the pond will be a possibility one day soon. Bummer for now though.

message 20: by Charlene (new)

Charlene | 8241 comments Mod
I didn't think it mattered what country you were in as far as loaning is concerned?

message 21: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23394 comments This is from a January 2011 article. Guess it's still the status of loaning outside the U.S.:

Amazon also says “Kindle book lending can only be initiated by customers residing in the United States. If a loan is initiated to a customer outside the United States, the borrower may not be able to accept the loan if the title is not available in their country due to publisher geographical rights“.

message 22: by Trev (new)

Trev Twinem (runner56) | 144 comments Tressa wrote: "Well, we tried. Luckily it won't break the First National Bank of Trev. Hopefully loaning across the pond will be a possibility one day soon. Bummer for now though."

The FNBT (The First National Bank Trev) will now access the required funds and purchase his copy of The Haunted and join in the lively discussions...in the near future :)

message 23: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23394 comments Glad it's not gonna set you back, Trev. Although I'd much rather it be FREE.

message 24: by Charlene (new)

Tressa wrote: "This is from a January 2011 article. Guess it's still the status of loaning outside the U.S.:

Amazon also says “Kindle book lending can only be initiated by customers residing in the United States..."

Thanks, Tressa-I did not know that.

message 25: by Michaelbrent (new)

Michaelbrent Collings (MichaelbrentCollings) | 58 comments " Hello, folks. I am a GR member and saw that you are reading my book for June. How flattering is that???

I hope you enjoy the book! If you have any questions about it - either about the story or about writing in general - feel free to ask and I'll do my best to sound smart when I reply. ;o)

Regardless, thanks for being interested in THE HAUNTED in particular and horror in general. I think horror is one of the most amazing genres, and am glad to see a great group of folks keeping it alive and lively on Goodreads!

- Mb
http://michaelbrentcollings.com

message 26: by Trev (last edited Jun 11, 2012 05:08AM) (new)

Trev Twinem (runner56) | 144 comments Whatever I read I always like to write honest reviews and sometimes when I read the Amazon reviews I do wonder at peoples reasons/motivations for what they have said...have they been given a copy by the author and asked to do a favourable review?....am I being cynical?? Anyway I did not enjoy this book and if I direct you to my review you can agree or disagree...

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 27: by Midnyte Reader (new)

Midnyte Reader (Midnyte) | 21 comments Ironically, I just did an author interview with Michaelbrent on my blog.

message 28: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23394 comments Would you post the link, Midnyte?

message 29: by Midnyte Reader (new)

Midnyte Reader (Midnyte) | 21 comments Happy to! Thank you so much for asking. http://www.midnytereader.com/2012/06/...

message 30: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23394 comments Great interview. Thanks for posting it. Feel free to always post here any horror author interviews you do. You could start a thread in the Author folder or just comment in an established author thread.

message 31: by Charlene (new)

That was a good interview, thanks!
Plus, he's hot. : )

message 32: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23394 comments You trying to get some free stuff, Charlene?

message 33: by Charlene (new)

No, I was just commenting is all. : )

I already have his book RUN and I think I have another one-The Loon but haven't gotten to either one yet.

message 34: by Midnyte Reader (new)

Midnyte Reader (Midnyte) | 21 comments Tressa wrote: "Great interview. Thanks for posting it. Feel free to always post here any horror author interviews you do. You could start a thread in the Author folder or just comment in an established author thr..."

Thank you!

message 35: by Midnyte Reader (new)

Midnyte Reader (Midnyte) | 21 comments I sat in some panels that he was on at World Horror Con and he is also extremely funny.

message 36: by Midnyte Reader (new)

Midnyte Reader (Midnyte) | 21 comments 11811 wrote: "I can't open this with a spoiler because I'm afraid some people (*cough* Tressa) might peek in advance but this book reminded me of the movie

[spoilers removed]"

Oh shoot I looked. Maybe I'll still read the book anyway.

message 37: by Joe (new)

Joe D. | 5 comments I read the book and wasn't that crazy about it either, which is too bad because I really like haunted house stories (don't know how to post a link to my review but you can find if you want to see it). The second half was pretty good - I'm glad I didn't stop reading it before the priest showed up.

message 38: by Charlene (new)

Joe wrote: "I read the book and wasn't that crazy about it either, which is too bad because I really like haunted house stories (don't know how to post a link to my review but you can find if you want to see i..."

I liked the book up to the point when the priest came (liked, not loved), but when the priest showed up things started going off the wall. I thought the book picked up quite a bit at that point.

message 39: by Chris (last edited Jun 13, 2012 12:22PM) (new)

Chris (ChrisMcCaffrey) | 860 comments This was my review.

SPOILERS!!!!!

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Basically, I didn't like how the book failed to build up suspense and dread. It was more like walking into a full force hurricane without the creepy anticipation.

message 40: by Joe (new)

Joe D. | 5 comments The thing I didn't in the beginning is that a) right from the start, the characters are always sensing things are wrong. Typically (like I've read so many!), in these stories, it goes from normal, to weird to crazy. I think they skipped the normal part. b) Way to much description on describing fear. Not a big fan of that. The situation lets my imagination "insert scared here". c) all the noises described using scary adjectives. Sometimes, when a door closes, it just goes "thunk". It doesn't have to be "like a rusty coffin lid shutting for the last time". This is not a real quote but it kind of makes the point.

To me, these things made it all kinda forced.

When the priest arrived, yes everything got crazy but that's part of the formula! The story kind of switched to more action and less description, or at least, I didn't notice the description as much.

message 41: by Joe (new)

Joe D. | 5 comments I agree with Chris' review.

message 42: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany ***minor spoilers***

Well, I love a haunted house story, but this one just didn't work for me.

In terms of character development, there was nothing really there to make Sarah and Cap seem real enough for me to become invested in them and care at all about their fates. Thus, it was difficult for me to feel engaged while they were being haunted. I just hated their idyllic marriage and the fact that they didn't have any noticeable personality flaws or any tension between them. Obviously, the "Twist" ending can account for some of this, but it just wasn't enough for me.

Overall, this story was just too formulaic and predictable. The plot of the book was cliche after cliche after cliche. There was also a lot of explaining why I should feel scared rather than just setting up the scene and trusting me as a reader to understand the tension without the author's voice seeping through to remind me that the scene is supposed to be scary.

I did find the last 8% of the book to be kind of interesting and a bit more original than the rest, but 8% at the end was not enough to sway my opinion or really redeem this for me after 92% of rolling my eyes.

Anyway, I guess I'll stop typing now because I'm being super-critical :) Sorry for the negativity

message 43: by Trev (new)

Trev Twinem (runner56) | 144 comments Tiffany wrote: "***minor spoilers***

In terms of character development, there was nothing really there to make Sarah and Cap seem real e..."

I'm totally with Tiffany on this. I give this book 2stars and felt I was being generous however unlike her I felt the start of the book was better than the ending...at the start there was the "threat" of the ghostly presence and I thought in the early stages this worked ie the man with the stovepipe hat..his first appearance and Sarah's sight of him in her bed..but as the book progressed and we are introduced to ghost/haunting followed by ghost/haunting the whole thing became a nonsense. Then we have the obligatory priest "Father Michael"....I kept visualizing Tom Bosley and Father Dowling..and am not really sure what the purpose of Father Michael was..he only really added to the overall confusion.
For a kindle horror story to be successful it really needs something "quirky" that takes it out of the normal....and this story was certainly normal :(
As an example I am reading a fast and exciting horror storyGecko
Jim Monday's wife left him for a slick doctor who wants his money more than his wife, so he hires his best friend as his lawyer, who is killed before his eyes. Jim attacks the doctor for the crime and is arrested. He knows the doctor did it, but has no proof. While in jail he learns how evil the doctor really is. He has to get out, has to rescue his wife from a horrible fate. But it won't easy as the doctor calls forth an ancient horror as evil as Lucifer himself. Jim escapes and goes after the doctor with the police hot on his trail. He knows what's after him, but he has no idea about what's ahead

What makes this story so original is that Jim Monday is also receiving telepathic messages from a lady called Donna in New Zealand...she can read his mind and is inside his body....how this will fit in with the main story I have yet to find out...but it is brilliant, quirky and very original...
Back to The Haunted there is nothing original here and therefore fails miserably to be viewed as a good read.....

message 44: by Bill (new)

Bill (Shiftyj1) | 4100 comments This book was just ok for me. The characters were not developed very well and the plot line was predictable. There were a few spooky moments here and there but nothing really truly scary.

message 45: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23394 comments I didn't finish the book, but as for how I felt about the beginning of the book, especially the rushed pace of the haunting, and the lack of character development, just read Tiffany's and Joe's reviews of the book and that says it all for me.

message 46: by Charlene (new)

Yeah, those guys pulled no punches.
I guess I'm easier on some books than other people. I thought it really picked up after the priest arrived though, and I thought that the very end redeemed the whole book-enough so that I gave it 3.5 (which I rounded up to 4).

message 47: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Tressa wrote: "Discuss."

I've started this but got distracted by Koontz Odd Interlude, so will pick it back up again now that I finished that. lol

message 48: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 10 comments Tiffany wrote: "***minor spoilers***

In terms of character development, there was nothing really there to make Sarah and Cap seem real e..."

It redeemed itself in the end! Although if anyone has seen the Sixth Sense and The Others, we've seen it happen! I agree with Tiffany. Really no character development and got crazy to quickly. The chanting was a little annoying. When I read a haunted house book I want to be creeped out not annoyed. Didn't get creeped out but I thought it was good enough to keep reading. Nice little page turner that raised its rating from a 2 stars to a 3 for the ending.

message 49: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) I actually mostly liked this one. I really liked the ending, made me smile. :)

message 50: by Mallory Heart (new)

Mallory Heart Reviews (Ever-Haunted_Ever-Reader) | 106 comments Read this in one sitting last night (naturally, alone in my room after dark LOL), totally loved it, scary from page one-the kind of classic ghost story I've always loved (for decades) and don't find often enough (compare Susan Hill's "The Woman in Black," which figuratively peeled off my flesh:) ). Going on to read Mr. Collings' Run which I have, and whatever else I can find by him. Also in a sense puts me in mind of The Ghost Writer, not in content but in that steady escalating never-letting-go-of-the-throat tension and fright.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Loon (other topics)
Gecko (other topics)
Run (other topics)
The Ghost Writer (other topics)