The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

i wanna know if the hunger games are to old

Comments (showing 1-50 of 51) (51 new)    post a comment »

Mas5thgrade2012 do you guys think the hunger games is too old to read now

Mas5thgrade2012 NEVER WILL IT BE TOO OLD!

Michael Burhans Seriously? It is a couple of years old. I still read books written several thousand years ago. Why would you limit your reading to just the last year or three?

Mas5thgrade2012 Michael wrote: "Seriously? It is a couple of years old. I still read books written several thousand years ago. Why would you limit your reading to just the last year or three?"

rude!

Mas5thgrade2012 i mean old like thats what makes you beautiful old

message 7: by Michael (last edited Jun 01, 2012 06:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Burhans LOL Rude? No. If you think that was rude, you know nothing about rude. If I was being rude your eyeballs would have burst into flames already. LOL It was a very serious question. Stories like Beowulf, The Iliad, The Odyssey, Oedipus Rex, all timeless still. Then there are the more modern classic of Shakespeare, so many stories you know now are derivative of his works.

If a book is so facile that it is too old to be read in a matter of a few years, it was not worth reading in the first place.

True greatness in literature stems from finding timeless themes of love, betrayal, challenge and overcoming hardship. One can find new situations to place these themes in, but it is the themes that matter.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Too old, as in it's getting kinda old? Nope. It's not an old book! Lord of the Rings is a way old book, but it's still going strong! But is it too old for you to read? I'm presuming that you are in fifth grade, judging by your name, so in my opinion it is too old for you to read. I read it in fifth grade, and I do not think that I should have. I say it seems like a pg13 book, so I say thirteen is an appropriate age to read it. You don't have to listen to me, though, listen to whatever your parents say! Unless they're completely wrong...

Gregory Good answer Hadley, look like Michael doesn't know how to change his language to that of a 5th grader :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you (:

Michael Burhans I respect a 5th grader that would be on goodreads enough not to talk down to them.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Me too, but I kinda want them to be able to understand what I'm saying... No offense!

Michael Burhans Okay then, serious question Hadley, which word or words did I use that you consider beyond the ability of a 5th grader to understand?

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Facile. I understand it, but when I was in fifth grade I wouldn't have.

Michael Burhans Hmmm, okay. I guess I was marked by the fact I grew up the child of English professors. LOL Good thing my dad taught martial arts too or I'd have gotten beat up a lot. thanks for the tip!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

(: You're welcome...

Heather I think the Hunger Games is a book that will stand the test of time. It can very much be paired with Lord of the Flies and Battle Royale to see different perspectives on the same kind of story.

Also, Michael, I wouldn't alter your language a bit. There are a lot of words in books like Harry Potter and Eragon that I would not have understood during 5th grade. Same things with the Hobbit and a Wrinkle in Time (both of which were assigned reading when i was in 5th grade). What's the big deal about using your normal language when talking to people regardless of age? That's how people learn. Also it's the internet, people have access to dictionary.com (and other sites) to look up the words. I do that all the time.

Justece No, books are never too old to read!! I'm just now reading Harry Potter for the first time!!

message 19: by Remy (last edited Jun 01, 2012 11:37AM) (new) - added it

Remy I think that The Hunger Games will go strong for many a year. In all honesty, there aren't many books that go from page to screen within three/four years, like The Hunger Games did. I think I might be right in saying Harry Potter took longer than three/four years to be shown and film producers.

This could just be the result of producers being more interested in the written world, and actually looking for a book to turn into a film, or it could be the fact that The Hunger Games is absolutely fantastic. I would recommend it to people of ages 14+, as I have never met anyone of suitable maturity under that age.

If I've known a child for many many years though, and I believe they are mature enough, I would happily recommend it. I think you need a certain level of maturity to really grasp the themes that are presented in these books.

Michael Burhans Justece wrote: "No, books are never too old to read!! I'm just now reading Harry Potter for the first time!!"

this may sound odd but I am so jealous of you. You get to discover the magic of those books for the first time now. I've read and reread them several times. did not expect to enjoy them nearly as much as I did.

message 21: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon The Hunger Games came out in 2008, in what world is that too hard to read? Like Michael said, people still read books that were written a long time ago. No one's telling people to stop reading Shakespeare because his plays were written over 400 years ago. Read The Hunger Games if you want, read Hamlet if you want, nothing should stop you (whether you actually understand something like Hamlet is another matter, but it would still be cool to read).

message 22: by Remy (last edited Jun 01, 2012 11:38AM) (new) - added it

Remy Shannon wrote: "The Hunger Games came out in 2008, in what world is that too hard to read? Like Michael said, people still read books that were written a long time ago. No one's telling people to stop reading Shak..."

We aren't telling the OP whether or not to read it... Or if it's too hard to read...

LaRinda Michael wrote: "I respect a 5th grader that would be on goodreads enough not to talk down to them."

Nice.
Big words are just fine, I hope it would encourage him to look it up and expand his vocabulary. I am old and still do it (my parents weren't exactly educated).

Vixen No way. The Hunger Games is awesome. It'll be like one of those must read books for kids when they're older. Like those Judy Blume books that mother used to make us girls read. Or freaking Harry Potter. Or Flowers in The Attic (view spoiler) Anyways! No The Hunger Games is not to old. :)

Erika I haven't read Harry Potter and am curious to read them, but i sometimes feel like now it's too late to read them, lol, like everybody's read them already several times... But i just can't stand the curiosity, everybody seems to speak wonders of it...

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

You should definitely read them! It's never too late! They are amazing!

Raine Classics don't get old. They get better everytime you read them.

Michael Burhans Erika wrote: "I haven't read Harry Potter and am curious to read them, but i sometimes feel like now it's too late to read them, lol, like everybody's read them already several times... But i just can't stand th..."

I would urge you to read them, in order. Each book expands the world and the authors writing skills improve. I loved the first book, but each book got noticeably better.

Like any good literature I think the themes of Harry Potter are timeless. I'd expand on those themes but I do not want to spoil things for you.

Gemma I don't believe a book can really ever get 'too old'. A good book will last forever, generation after generation can enjoy it.

The Hunger Games only came out a few years ago, I am still discovering books that came out a long time before The Hunger Games.

LaRinda I haven't read Harry Potter either but have seen a few of the movies, I have been afraid that the movies will ruin the books for me. After all this talk, I may have to read them.

Sara The Hunger Games will never be old, I love this series and I think it will never die!!!

Michael Burhans LaRinda wrote: "I haven't read Harry Potter either but have seen a few of the movies, I have been afraid that the movies will ruin the books for me. After all this talk, I may have to read them."

The books add so many more details. you get to know people so much better, and the world they live in too. I love the movies and the books both.

message 33: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon Shana wrote: "Shannon wrote: "The Hunger Games came out in 2008, in what world is that too hard to read? Like Michael said, people still read books that were written a long time ago. No one's telling people to s..."

Yeah know that's not what they asked, but I'd read Micheal's reply and the ones after that about people not understanding what he said, and I was thinking about why people might not read old books, so that's why I said that.

LaRinda Sweet! I am all about depth of character and development. Of the movies I have seen, I did enjoy. I will have to add them to my list.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

For Harry Potter? Yes. They are amazingly well-written!

Michael Burhans I think you will find they become a member of your favorite books club. Doesn't matter if you are 10 or 100, they are just great stories well told.

Erika I've seen all the Harry Potter movies, but there are some things i didn't understand that well, that's why i want to read the books, but things are so spoiled for me now... Anyway i will give them a try at some point.

Mas5thgrade2012 i wasn't trying to offend anyone i jus wanted to know if t was old or not

MizziQ It's only a couple years old. I think you should give 'em a try if you like the storyline. The age of the book shouldn't stop you from reading what you like. There's nothing as far as I know that has changed drastically in just a few years that would make it not interesting or "bad" for you to read. :)

Michael Burhans Mas5thgrade2012 wrote: "i wasn't trying to offend anyone i jus wanted to know if t was old or not"

Oh goodness, I do not think anyone was offended a bit! I think I just might have come off as a bit stuffy, which wasn't my intention. I do not think the books are too old at all. I think they have the timeless elements that make them a good story for any age, and for a long time to come.

Given you the fact you are obviously a reader, and have come on a site like goodreads to find more things to read I'd guess you are more than mature enough to handle the books.

My advice to you is to not only keep reading, but find books that challenge you too. I read a lot of stuff just for fun, but I always mix in non-fiction and classic novels that keep my brain exercised.

Lastly, look at what a good set of discussions your thread has started. You shouldn't feel the need to apologize, you should be proud really. I think we all have enjoyed talking to each other, and have all helped each other to understand each other better. Not only do I not think anyone was offended, I think everyone is better for having participated in your discussion. I say good job!

Mas5thgrade2012 Michael wrote: "Mas5thgrade2012 wrote: "i wasn't trying to offend anyone i jus wanted to know if t was old or not"

Oh goodness, I do not think anyone was offended a bit! I think I just might have come off as a..."

i apprecitiate that!

Mas5thgrade2012 Hadley ♪ ・I LOVE HARRY POTTER!!!・♪ wrote: "Facile. I understand it, but when I was in fifth grade I wouldn't have."

yeah he was a little rude and i did not understand one word

Mas5thgrade2012 Mas5thgrade2012 wrote: "NEVER WILL IT BE TOO OLD!"

i agree misquiiiiito

Mas5thgrade2012 misquito plz comment back

Mas5thgrade2012 what was the word?

Mas5thgrade2012 FACILE!!!!

Mas5thgrade2012 facile!!! it was!!!!

Mas5thgrade2012 if anyone asks i meant thats what makes you beautiful old!!!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

What? Sorry, I didn't quite understand that sentence... It was kind of mixed up and confusing.

LaRinda Facile: ignoring the complexities of an issue;superficial or easily achieved.
-Oxford English Dictionary

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hunger Games (other topics)