Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Depth of Website (Goodreads)

Comments (showing 1-14)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 2971 comments Lilac, it is fun to make discoveries as we use the site more. It's also fun to share them. That's why I acceded to popular demand and started this thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3....

(Pretty soon I'll go through it a bit and see if I can get rid of anything obsolete, but meanwhile, due to the fact that this site is a work in progress, be aware that some of the earlier comments are not quite relevant.)

Please, Rozzer, all, add your discoveries about extra deep features to the thread to share with the community!

Robin (ukamerican) | 468 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "It's actually not necessarily more accurate. Often some or many of the people "currently" reading a book haven't been active for months or years. "

I didn't say it was 100% accurate, just that it's more accurate than looking at the status updates, which I still think it is.

Yes, there may be people who become inactive and never remove a book from their currently reading self. But these numbers will be far smaller than the amount of people who don't bother to enter a status update, plus those who are still listed in the status updates even though they have finished the book. If you're looking for the people who are currently reading a book, looking at the currently reading shelf (it's even self explanatory!) for that book IS the most accurate method.

message 12: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 30, 2012 04:00PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8673 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Robin wrote: "Elizabeth's instructions are a more accurate list of people currently read a particular book. Anyone who adds the book to their "currently reading" shelf will appear"

It's actually n..."

It's more accurate in that it will include all of the people who have shelved a book as currently reading. The status updates will show only those people who take the time to write status updates - which is fewer than those who have shelved the book as currently reading. I, myself, have never used a status update and never will, and I would be willing to wager I'm not the only one.

Lobstergirl | 4459 comments Robin wrote: "Elizabeth's instructions are a more accurate list of people currently read a particular book. Anyone who adds the book to their "currently reading" shelf will appear"

It's actually not necessarily more accurate. Often some or many of the people "currently" reading a book haven't been active for months or years.

message 10: by Rozzer (last edited May 30, 2012 03:55PM) (new)

Rozzer | 55 comments I don't know, Lilac. We all visit so many different websites. I myself would appreciate being alerted to the fact that a particular website is very deep. I guess I'm rather quick to form first impressions, and that can be bad sometimes. It reminds me of the first time I went to Blackwell's in Oxford. 1976. One entered that aboveground store that just seemed like any other bookstore, and THEN one penetrated into that huge football field they have buried down below, deep underground. It's just too easy to blow off a website in an initial impression. I think there ought to be some notice on the home page of the site that THIS IS A DEEP WEBSITE!

Lilac wrote: "I love the depth of this site too. A also think it's better that you have to look for these things than for goodreads just to tell you what to do because I would have been way too overwhelmed if I'..."

Julie (readerjules) | 306 comments Me too Jennie. I have been here over two years and didn't know how to do these things.

Jennie (jmayhp) | 18 comments I have been on this site for years and am still finding new and interesting features that I didn't know existed! Its a wonderful site and I, like Lilac have enjoyed that I am able to find them on my own rather than being overwhelmed at the beginning!

Rozzer | 55 comments Thanks, Paul. I hadn't known about that.

Paul wrote: "well, the thing I was referring to was - if you go to any book's page, you will see at the top right hand side, along from the title, a grey link titled RECENT STATUS UPDATES - if you click that up..."

Robin (ukamerican) | 468 comments Paul wrote: "well, the thing I was referring to was - if you go to any book's page, you will see at the top right hand side, along from the title, a grey link titled RECENT STATUS UPDATES - if you click that up..."

This is just a list of status updates - so when you enter how far into the book you are, it registers here. Not everyone uses this feature so it's not a complete list of everyone reading it. Plus, it will continue to display the updates from people who have finished reading it.

Elizabeth's instructions are a more accurate list of people currently read a particular book. Anyone who adds the book to their "currently reading" shelf will appear - they do not need to have entered a status update and they will be removed once they removed the book from their "currently reading" shelf.

Both great features though.

Lilac  | 109 comments I love the depth of this site too. A also think it's better that you have to look for these things than for goodreads just to tell you what to do because I would have been way too overwhelmed if I'd know everything when I first joined Goodreads. It's fun to find intersting things on here as well. I hope goodreads keeps making new and interesting ways to explre books and discuss as well as everything else book related.

Paul | 400 comments well, the thing I was referring to was - if you go to any book's page, you will see at the top right hand side, along from the title, a grey link titled RECENT STATUS UPDATES - if you click that up comes the list of everyone who is currently reading it - then, if you click on "only show updates with text" you just see all the actual comments people make as they read along. It can be cheering to see people experiencing the same bewilderment or exhilaration as you do.

message 3: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 30, 2012 07:17AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8673 comments Jason, on the right side of the book page, below the genres section, is a "See More Shelves" (or something worded similarly). If you click on that you will find who has shelved the book, and especially who has shelved it Currently Reading. Well, not quite yet - you can see how many have shelved it. That number is clickable which will take you to a page that tells you who.

Paul | 400 comments I particularly like the way you can see how many people throughout the world (of goodreads) are reading the book you are reading currently and compare experiences as we all make our way along.

Rozzer | 55 comments This is a very, very "deep" website. Which is to say that whatever a net wanderer finds here on the surface after chancing on the site, there is much, much more available to everyone if they dig for it. For example, on my first, superficial exploration I could see, as can we all, the currently popular books that many people are reading now. I didn't realize that if one goes beneath the surface, there are few books indeed that aren't listed somewhere here by people around the world who've read them. So both in terms of literature and in terms of sophisticated foreign opinion, Goodreads very much rewards those who understand and take advantage of its depth. No, I myself am not into the currently popular, except in science and psychology. In literature (from every country), history and travel I want to read classics and the historically obscure. I was tickled to find that so many people have encountered "Le Grand Meaulnes". And even "Les Mysteres de Paris". Not to mention many, many others. This is a very rewarding site, but only after one is clued in and finds out how to use the site depth here to one's advantage.

unread topics | mark unread