Editors and Writers discussion

Editor Needed

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anjela Renee (AuthorAnjela) | 8 comments I have a self published book that needs editing. It's an Erotic Paranormal Romance (motor city vampires). I need a punctuation grammar check as well as ideas to make the story itself better.

Rebecca Graf (RebeccaGraf) | 2 comments How deep of editing are you looking for? Plot, character, etc? silvertonguepress.com works with self-publishers and offers editing services. I've used the editors there and love them.

Jeanette Hornby (goodreadscomuser_jeanettehornby) | 1 comments Try Pamela Gifford. I thought she did a good job. Her fees are very reasonable. Tell her I sent you :) http://www.pamelagifford.com/

Lauryn April (LaurynApril) | 8 comments I am also currently looking for an editor, mostly for grammar and punctuation. I'm wondering if anyone has anyone to recommend, especially if they have reasonable prices.

Shopping around online I've found far too many editing services that would cost me over $1000 for my novel and am hoping theres something more reasonable out there.

April (apriltara) | 2 comments Lauryn, if you'd like to message me with more details, I'm sure I could do it for much less than $1000.

Lauryn April (LaurynApril) | 8 comments Thank you for all the responses.

Melissa Field (melissafield) If any of the lovely ladies who posted here still need an editor please check out my website. I am building an editing business that will be a combination of editing/guidance. I know myself how expensive it is to hire an editor, and so I'm creating a business that offers low rates and teaches the writer so that they can edit on their own in the future. I currently have a promotional package that's only $15! I'm also in the process of turning my website into a positive space where writers can come to learn from each other. In order to do this I want to edit the first page of works in progress for free. These will be shared on my website in an attempt to teach writers who aren't in any position to spend money on editing/guidance. I know it's a lot to ask to put your work out there, but my intention is to keep the whole experience positive. I will keep my edits very dry, focusing only on the mechanics. I am actively looking for volunteers for this, so if anyone is in a writing group and can pass on my website I would be so grateful. As I said, the one page edit is free and could potentially spruce up your opening page. And hey, you might inspire someone to overcome their own fears and doubts about going forward!
My website is here authortools.wordpress.com

My website is new and will hopefully grow and improve as I go on. Thank you all for reading my post!

Jennifer | 5 comments Hi, I'm a professional editor at a publishing house, and I've been freelance editing for more than fifteen years. If anyone needs any help editing or proofreading, let me know! I love to help writers.

I specialize in children's fiction, young adult fantasy, sci-fi, and contemporary fiction, and magical realism for youth and adults. But I've also worked on projects outside of those boundaries.

I can send a list of references or samples of my work upon request if needed. I offer competitive prices, timely turnaround, and personal attention.

www.jennifermoorman.com

Meghan Pinson (MeghanPinson) | 8 comments Hi, everybody!

I edit and evaluate manuscripts through my company, My Two Cents Editing. If you're in the market for a freelance editor, I'd love to talk with you!

Meghan Pinson
My Two Cents Editing
www.mytwocentsediting.com
www.facebook.com/mytwocentsediting

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I am a copy editor and proofreader for organisations in the UK, Shanghai, Beijing and throughout the USA. I offer a personal and comprehensive service to all my clients. You can contact me through my website: http://copyeditinginlincolnshire.weeb...
or my email address: emma.steel@rocketmail.com

Kindest Regards

Emma Steel

message 11: by Tanya (last edited Sep 21, 2012 05:58AM) (new)

Tanya Farrell | 2 comments Sorry to jump in, I am interested in getting into proofreading, esp for ebooks as i find alot of them need it. If anyone has any tips for me i'd greatly appreciate it. How do i get started. Also i would be willing to volunteer to proofread some works to gain experience. My email is t.farrell.tf@gmail.com

Stacey (Sparker919) | 4 comments Hi!! I am desperately looking for an editor for my contemporary romance novel. Is it completed? No. I expect to have a finished product by December. I’m looking for someone to proofread, provide feedback/advice on overall strength of the story, and to “pretty it up” the way all great Editors do. I am wondering if I should wait until I have completed the story before I dive into finding an Editor.
Advice?

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 04, 2012 11:20AM) (new)

Stacey wrote: "Hi!! I am desperately looking for an editor for my contemporary romance novel. Is it completed? No. I expect to have a finished product by December. I’m looking for someone to proofread, provide fe..."

Hi Stacey, your book does not have to be finished you can start working with an editor at any stage in the process. I have worked on finished and unfinished books and I find that the story tends to evolve with some external input. The important thing is to find an editor who will keep the integrity of your writing; so you don't lose your 'voice' in the process. It may also help to give you different ideas and boost your creative juices. I hope this helps.

If you need more help my email address is below feel free to get in touch.

Regards

Emma
emma.steel@rocketmail.com

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Tanya wrote: "Sorry to jump in, I am interested in getting into proofreading, esp for ebooks as i find alot of them need it. If anyone has any tips for me i'd greatly appreciate it. How do i get started. Also i ..."

Hi Tanya,
Unfortunately there will always be errors in ebooks it is more to do with the formatting than anything else. The best place to start proofreading is on Project Gutenberg. You get to proofread some fabulous books and it is great experience. That is where I started. If you need anymore help please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Emma
emma.steel@rocketmail.com

message 15: by Trish (last edited Oct 04, 2012 12:41PM) (new)

Trish Arrowsmith (Arrowsmith) | 5 comments Stacey wrote: "Hi!! I am desperately looking for an editor for my contemporary romance novel. Is it completed? No. I expect to have a finished product by December. I’m looking for someone to proofread, provide fe..."

Stacey,
I am a freelance editor and can tell you that you do not have to have the book completed to begin the editing process. A good editor will help guide you along and can let you know if your story is heading in the right direction.

Feel free to check out my website at www.arrowsmithfreelanceediting.com and let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Stacey (Sparker919) | 4 comments Trish wrote: "Stacey wrote: "Hi!! I am desperately looking for an editor for my contemporary romance novel. Is it completed? No. I expect to have a finished product by December. I’m looking for someone to proofr..."

Trish thank you...I will check it out and more than likely contact you. Thanks!!

Tanya Farrell | 2 comments Emma, Thank you!

message 18: by Meghan (last edited Oct 06, 2012 09:04PM) (new)

Meghan Pinson (MeghanPinson) | 8 comments Dear Stacey,

I'd love to talk with you about your book. You're right on schedule to be looking for an editor, but it's a little early to begin the copyediting process.

After you finish your first draft, it's a good idea to set the manuscript aside for about a month before you come back to it and start revising. I can help you prepare for the revision and self-editing stage, and can help you with manuscript critique and copyediting when you're ready.

Please check out my website for more information about editing fiction - and take a look at my testimonials while you're there! - and then drop me a line this week. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the editing process.

Congratulations on getting this far, and best of luck as you finish the first draft! Hope to hear from you soon --

Meghan Pinson
My Two Cents Editing
Los Angeles, CA
818-358-2011

Stacey (Sparker919) | 4 comments Meghan wrote: "Dear Stacey,

I'd love to talk with you about your book. You're right on schedule to be looking for an editor, but it's a little early to begin the copyediting process.

After you finish your firs..."

Thank you so much!! I'll check out your website ASAP.

Cora Gabberqueen (GabberQueeN) | 3 comments I'm also looking for someone to help me i'm absolutely shocking with grammar and it's quite embarassing for me. But apparently i tell a good story and after years of not writing my book out of fear i'm going to take the plunge but need someone who will understand how shocking iam.

Melissa (lemonstargirl) | 15 comments Cora wrote: "I'm also looking for someone to help me i'm absolutely shocking with grammar and it's quite embarassing for me. But apparently i tell a good story and after years of not writing my book out of fear..."

Hi Cora,

I'm a freelance editor with experience proofing short stories, novels, and academic papers.

Don't worry or be embarassed about your grammar, I am very respectful and I have dealt with a variety of abilities.

If you would like to further discuss editing your work then please send me an email at lemon15_melissa@hotmail.com

Thanks and happy writing!
Melissa

Cora Gabberqueen (GabberQueeN) | 3 comments Thank you so much Melissa, i can tell you that i'm shocking and you will have your work cut out for you lol!! i'm willing to pay more as i will know you will get frustrated with the writing errors :P

Cora Gabberqueen (GabberQueeN) | 3 comments I emailed you :)

Sunny (Sunjamin) | 3 comments Daniel wrote: "I'm writing a Doctor Who fan fiction and need an editor who will help me out for free. If you're interested, contact me via e-mail: Mrdanielprice1@gmail.com"

I'm interested if it isn't explicit m/m slash. What's it about?

message 25: by Sunny (last edited Oct 24, 2012 08:39AM) (new)

Sunny (Sunjamin) | 3 comments Tanya wrote: "Sorry to jump in, I am interested in getting into proofreading, esp for ebooks as i find alot of them need it. If anyone has any tips for me i'd greatly appreciate it. How do i get started. Also i ..."

The first thing you should do is capitalize your i's. I would skip over you if I were looking for a proofreader simply because of that. Next, you should recognize that "alot" is two words: "a lot". I'm not sure many people would be interested in a proofreader who can't spot mistakes like that.

Hope this helps!

Sunny (Sunjamin) | 3 comments I'm willing to proofread Science Fiction, Fantasy (NOT paranormal), poetry, and short stories for free, as long as I'm not crunched for time. I proofread for spelling, grammar, and clarity.

If you have something I might do, message me and I'll let you know if I'm available. I'm on GoodReads, DeviantArt, and Google+ as LibraryTechChick.

I'm specifically interested in time travel, teleportation, alternate realities, futuristic technologies, and magical realism, but I read other things as well.

I will beta read fan fiction if the story interests me. For fan fiction, I will flag problems in continuity and "out of character" actions and dialog. Fandoms I read for include but are not limited to: Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Smallville, X-Files, etc. If your Fandom is not listed here, it never hurts to ask. Sometimes I leave one out by mistake. You can also check to see if the Fandom for the story in question is one that I've read, marked as a favorite, or discussed online.

Meghan Pinson (MeghanPinson) | 8 comments That's good to know, Sunny! Sometimes my clients need beta readers, and I do work with some sci-fi/fantasy writers. If you want to, PM me with more information and I'll be sure to submit things how you like them. Thanks for posting here!

Meghan Pinson
My Two Cents Editing

Sunny wrote: "I'm willing to proofread Science Fiction, Fantasy (NOT paranormal), poetry, and short stories for free, as long as I'm not crunched for time. I proofread for spelling, grammar, and clarity.

If yo..."

message 28: by Kb (new)

Kb Lever | 4 comments Editor/Author/Proofreader/Reviewer.

WWW.KBLever.COM

George Verongos (LiteraryServices) | 3 comments Hi there,
I could tell you how inexpensive or thorough my work is, or how you will become a better writer and story teller after working with me, but I would rather you email me a few pages so I can supply you with a free sample.
My fees are based on word count and the level of editing you request.
Email me, and we can get you stated :)
George_verongos@yahoo.com

glenda (ayngelwing) | 3 comments Hello!

I'm a copy editor with very reasonable rates for self-publishing authors.
I offer a free sample edit of several pages.

You can contact me at:
gjsediting@yahoo.ca

~Glenda W.~

Heather Sowalla (heathersowalla) | 18 comments Hello everyone!

My name is Heather, and I would LOVE to work with you!!!!

If you need an editor I am available. Because I have only just entered this field as far as editing for books (I have experience with newsprint, etc) I offer a low price. I will read, edit, and give as much feedback as I can. I also have a fast turnaround time. I work as a freelance editor and I can give you references for the work I have done. My rates are very reasonable. For shorter books I charge $25 and for larger books I charge $50. No matter what though you get a great deal from me. Please don't look any further! My email is h.sowalla@gmail.com.

Jennifer Perry (BookEditor) | 9 comments Hello,

I recently started an editing business called Pypeline Editing and would like to share how we can help the writers on here with their editing needs. We love helping authors tell their stories and we make sure that errors don't get in the way of the message the author is trying to send. We specialize in line-by-line editing and contextual editing as well as providing author-to-author insights in a variety of genres. At Pypeline you get two editors to look over your book, that is two sets of eyes to ensure that grammar problems and typos are completely eradicated. We will work with your budget to make sure you get quality editing at a decent price.

If anybody is interested in our services, please email jenny@pypelineediting.com so we can discuss this further.

Thanks,
Jenny

Alissa McGowan (RedPenforRent) | 2 comments Hi Everyone,

I own a small (ie: just me) editing company called Red Pen for Rent, and I'd like to throw my hat in the ring for all you writers seeking an editor. I offer a free sample edit of the first 1,000 words. If you like what I do, I then require an "Initial Review" for all prospective clients. For $50, I read the first 40 pages (10,000 words) of your manuscript and provide a detailed, one-page written review, as well as determine the level of service needed. If you then decide to entrust the entire manuscript to me, the $50 is applied to the total balance due.

This gives me a chance to assess the quality of the writing and determine the appropriate service (running the gamut from light proofreading to heavy substantive editing). I also provide ghostwriting services, but only by request as I generally assume that writers prefer to handle major revisions themselves. All rates are per-page, and this process allows for a set standard that gives you a concrete number to work with, but also ensures that the fee for the entire manuscript is appropriate to the amount of work involved.

Both the free sample edit and the initial review process also allow you to get a feel for my editorial style, and me to get a feel for your writing. Editing is a creative and collaborative endeavor, and it is vitally important to find an editor with whom you "mesh" and who really understands your vision and your voice. A bad editor, or one whose style clashes with your own, can ruin your manuscript as surely as a good editor with whom you can work comfortably will enhance it. As a writer myself, I wouldn't trust an editor who wouldn't do a free sample edit, and I'd be suspicious of any editor who quotes a price without seeing the work.

Interested? Visit www.redpenforrent.com for more information about me and the company, or send me an email at alissa@redpenforrent.com.

Happy Writing!
Alissa

Heather Sowalla (heathersowalla) | 18 comments My name is Heather, and I would LOVE to work with you!!!! In particular I like to work with Indie authors by helping them polish their manuscripts for publication.

If you need an editor I am available. Because I have only just entered this field as far as editing for books (I have experience with newsprint, etc) I offer a low price. I will read, edit, and give as much feedback as I can. I also have a fast turnaround time. I work as a freelance editor and I can give you references for the work I have done. My rates are very reasonable. For shorter books I charge $30 and for larger books I charge $60. No matter what though you get a great deal from me.

Ask me for my previous references and I would be more than willing to share them with you!

Please don't look any further! Contact Windy Hills Editing at h.sowalla@gmail.com.

Warneke Reading (Warneke_Reading) | 11 comments Warneke Reading is a small proofreading/editing company based in Minnesota. Currently focusing on the Indie writer crowd, we are excited to help these talented artists realize their dreams.
We're happy to say our business is really booming! If you are interested in using us, please note we may be booked out for a month or more. So reserve your spot today!
Please see our website for more info: www.warnekereading.com
We will help you realize all your OCD goals during the publication of your writing. We are quite painstaking and rarely miss an error. We might annoy you at first, but in the end you’ll thank us.
We offer free 10 page sample edits so you can see the quality of our work before making a decision.
Often heard at our house: “How did a national bestseller go to print with all these typos?” Don’t let that be your book.

message 36: by Leslie (last edited Jan 29, 2014 11:48PM) (new)

Leslie Caplan | 2 comments Hi Everyone! I am so happy to have found this group! My name is Leslie Caplan. I specialize in editing and coaching for personal journey stories, memoirs, travel journals, personal essays, anything that has spiritual, healing, heart and transformation content. I also assist with Web and Brochure content for those who need help in capturing the essence of themselves, for their business. Below are two testimonials that will give you a sense of who I am and what I do. I look forward to working together!

"Working on my memoir with Leslie has been like engaging with my own self in another body. She becomes the self that can see perspectives I feel blind to, can hear a deeper story that I am too scared to birth alone, and can spot the undotted i or uncrossed t that eludes me. She has the skill to be present to all of these arenas a writer traverses. And she does it with such heart. I wholeheartedly recommend her as coach or editor on your writing project."
Sarah Rose Marshank, Writer, Coach, Mentor- Ashland, OR

"Some people elevate the energy of a room simply with their presence. Leslie is one of those people. She is an exquisite blend of grace and charm and raw earth. She is one of the most accessible people I have ever met. In person and in the groups she facilitates, her presence creates a palpable synergy; an atmosphere of safety, inclusion, discovery, exploration and deep authentic appreciation. It is in this beautiful container that she creates that I found not only the courage to dive back into writing but also the passion I have for writing. I love knowing her and am excited to work with her again." Isha Haddigan, Ashland, OR

I can be reached at courageousheart@live.com
For a sample of my own writing, please click this link: http://www.daretobefabulous.com/wp/20...

Barbara Bamberger | 6 comments Please do not forget A Woman's Write for editing, reviews, critiques and the yearly writing competition -- www.awomanswrite.com. Not only do we charge a low, by-the-page fee for editing, but we lower it with each job for the same customer! Who else does that? I am always available. Please contact me at barscoinc at gmail dot com, and google my full name for page after page of solid web references. I have been on the net with AWW for more than ten years -- many satisfied customers. Barbara Bamberger Scott

Teresa Kennedy | 29 comments Don't be shy about using an editor with serious experience. I do not bite. I may, however nibble a little bit...:) http://villagegreenpressLLC.com Reasonable rates, prompt, personal, professional service. What else do you need?

message 39: by Kristin (last edited Jul 25, 2014 02:38PM) (new)

Kristin Campbell (kristinrcampbell) | 1 comments Stop by C&D Editing to see all our editing experience and what we provide. Pricing is by page and we offer a few different services, including formatting for all platforms.

We are very proud of our authors and consider ourselves a big family, making lasting connections and friends for life. We also offer advice for Indie authors and network with bloggers, web developers, cover artists, and even swag designers to help promote our authors and help them transition into the Indie world successfully.

unread topics | mark unread