Huntsville-Madison County Public Library discussion

Staff Picks > Staff Pick -- Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niceguymike (new)

Niceguymike | 67 comments I'm about halfway through Quiet now -- can't seem to get enough quiet to read! -- and I'm impressed. But not entirely.

I happen to be an extravert, an orientation that serves me well as a computer trainer and manager. I also had a terrible fear of public speaking, which I've largely conquered through desensitization.

My sole problem with Susan Cain's book is that introversion is so uniformly wonderful and productive that there's little left for extraverts. We don't function well in groups, we work poorly on inadequate sleep, we don't concentrate on anything for any length of time, we are so busy trying to get enough mental stimulation we can't focus, etc.

I get that Cain found a world unforgiving of introverts and is perhaps overcompensating, but there is little under the sun so perfect that an alternative can't have some good points.

That said, Cain brings up current research and theory to explain what's going on in our heads, and well-reasoned explanations for why things feel as they do.

I have felt rather distracted with my desire to defend my extraverted brethren, but in those times I simply allow the message to wash over me, I gain insights into the many around me who are introverts.

Highly recommended as a guide to get you thinking about what others are really thinking, but be prepared to set your sensitivities aside.

message 2: by Annie Lee (new)

Annie Lee Phillips (annieleephillips) | 292 comments Mod
Good review Michael! I am about 3/4 of the way through - I identify as an introvert, by the way, and I do agree that she can make the introvert/extravert comparisons kind of black and white. When I realized a few years ago that I was introverted and what that really meant, it was actually a great relief to me as it explained so much about my personality that I thought might have been lacking or that something was wrong with me. However, it takes all kinds to make the world go and make it interesting, and some of the most dynamic and fun friendships or other partnerships I have had have been with extraverted people! I have found this book to be very helpful as one talking to an introvert, and as you said Michael, setting some sensitivities aside, it can be a good view into the workings of an intorvert brain from an extravert point of view!

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (MrsDragon) | 6 comments I read this as a long acknowledged introvert and I really enjoyed the research based explanations of why introverts function the way we do. I had previously read The Introvert Advantage and was not impressed, so I was happy to see this book do the topic justice.

I also felt that I learned more about extroverts, and not in the negative way Michael felt. Not being one myself, I felt it gave me a good appreciation for how extroverts help balance out introverts and why both types are sorely needed. (That does come in more in the second half of the book though.)

message 4: by Niceguymike (new)

Niceguymike | 67 comments Gosh, Amanda -- makes me wish I'd perservered through the second half!!!

message 5: by Trina (new)

Trina Altman (taltman73) | 3 comments This is on my list of books I want to read. I think that I am more of an introvert, but I've had people argue that point with me, so I will be interested to see who is "right" in my opinion once I read the book.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Rachel_Hooper) | 8 comments I finished this book last night and really enjoyed it. I'm also an introvert, and I found it interesting to see that a good percentage of introverts feel the same way I do about things, and that it's normal to feel that way.

I liked that the author had the research to back up what she said. Also, I think it will be a helpful book for extroverted parents and teachers when dealing with introverted children and students.

Since I started reading Quiet, the things Cain mentioned keep popping up in everyday situations, which makes the book more real to me. I highly recommend it.

Huntsville-Madison County Public Library

unread topics | mark unread