Chaos Reading discussion

Slaughterhouse-Five
This topic is about Slaughterhouse-Five
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Chaos Reading Bookclub > DETAILS: Slaughterhouse-Five Group Read *Discussion Starts Sat30Jun12* [closed]

Comments (showing 1-50 of 75) (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (last edited May 29, 2012 08:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance] (rubytombstone) | 3260 comments Mod
Our first Group Read - How exciting! سلاخ‌خانه‌ی شماره‌ی پنج by Kurt Vonnegut

WHEN
Detailed Discussion Starts: June 30 2012

WHAT
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
The Kindle version is currently $6.59, and mm.paperback for $10 on Amazon (US). These seem to be the cheapest copies on the major international sites.

HOW
On June 30, I'll start a new discussion thread for this, with a spoiler warning. I might throw in a few suggested discussion topics to get the ball rolling as well. In the meantime, people can stop by this thread to chat as they go, but no spoilers until 30 June please.

ABOUT THE BOOK: SLAUGHTERHOUSE-FIVE
275 pages, first published 1969.
"Kurt Vonnegut's absurdist classic Slaughterhouse-Five introduces us to Billy Pilgrim, a man who becomes unstuck in time after he is abducted by aliens from the planet Tralfamadore. In a plot-scrambling display of virtuosity, we follow Pilgrim simultaneously through all phases of his life, concentrating on his (and Vonnegut's) shattering experience as an American prisoner of war who witnesses the firebombing of Dresden."

Matthew Hunter Awesome to start with Vonnegut, Ruby. I've read a boatload of his works, but haven't pulled my melon out of my arse long enough to read SL5. Should be fun!

Mike | 18 comments Been wanting to read Slaughterhouse-Five for years just never got around to it. Can't wait!

Petra I'll join in. It's one of those books that is keeps getting mentioned and yet I've never read it.

message 5: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Same here. In fact, I just removed the cartoon I posted earlier on the off-chance it contains something that might be considered a spoiler. After all, I have no way of knowing if I posted something absolutely crucial to the plot!

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina (readingmommy83) i'm in. sounds like an interesting read. should be fun.

message 7: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just a heads up, but I've come across some REALLY fascinating bits and pieces online that I think would make great background info for anyone reading the book. I've started a discussion thread to post this material for people to browse as they're reading. I'll keep it closed for comments until the start of the group discussion so it doesn't get too confusing and spoiler-ridden.

Here's the bonus material thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

Mackenzie (MacKenziePaige) | 24 comments *Rubs hands together*

Can't wait!

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason (jdemaninco) | 1 comments I have never read it but have been meaning to for years. Can't wait.

message 10: by songsta (new)

songsta | 2 comments I'm looking forward to reading it as well. I've read some thoughtful letters by the author but have yet to read a book by him. can't wait!

Valerie Zink | 41 comments I am glad I found this group. Perfect timing! I have the book on my shelf waiting to be read!

message 12: by Reagan (new) - added it

Reagan Elaina (QueenReagan) | 6 comments Sweet, can't wait to start reading!!

lurea | 7 comments Oooh! I read it last year and will enjoy the group read and discussion. You guys are going to LOVE it!

Riona (rionafaith) | 457 comments I was hoping to re-read this with the group but it's looking like my June and July are going to be incredibly busy now, so I may not be able to squeeze it in. :(

Frozenwaffle | 163 comments Whoah, looks like a cool book! I don't think I ever heard about either story or author, so I'm going all adventurous-style in my first group read ever :D

*tingles in excitement*

message 16: by Rose (new)

Rose (rldahlgren) | 8 comments I've read it a long time ago and can't wait to reread it. good choice!

message 17: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've started reading the Kindle version, and it's going really quickly!

If anyone's worried about fitting it in - don't. You could easily knock this over the course of a week even if you're only reading it in odd moments like I have been.

Nasrul (nasrulekram) | 41 comments What an opportunity! I have this book. It was my sister's and left it behind after moving out. I shall start on it tonight then!

message 19: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Excellent! I think this will be a good experiment to see what works in the group, and to inform future group reads.

In the meantime, I wanted to run an idea past you guys....

IF this goes well and we decide to do regular group reads, how would you feel about doing themed reads, with books nominated and voted on by group members? The way it looks in my head is this:
-For each group read, I would nominate a one word "Theme" (for example: home, treasure, jail, snow, immortality, curiosity, betrayal, livestock.... it could be anything at all)
-Everyone would nominate one book each that, to them, resonates with that theme in some way. It could be part of the storyline, something to do with the history of that book, recurring imagery... again, anything at all.
-All the books that are nominated will go up on a poll for everyone to vote on. I'll post the details for each book, like number of pages and availability. The winning book will be the group read.
-People can also chat about why they nominated their book for that theme.

I just thought this might be a good way of getting lots of different genres and a wide variety of books to choose from. And it might spark some good discussions.

What do people think?

message 20: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

I forgot to mention, the other bonus with using themes for the group reads is that we can add a bookshelf for each theme with everybody's nominations. More bookshelves. precious, precious bookshelves. :)

Nasrul (nasrulekram) | 41 comments Ruby wrote: "Excellent! I think this will be a good experiment to see what works in the group, and to inform future group reads.

IF this goes well a..."

That sounds like a plan. I am for that, Ruby!

Julissa (ta2kitty) Love the monthly theme idea!

Riona (rionafaith) | 457 comments I would love to do a monthly theme as well! Though I can't guarantee I will always participate, of course...

message 24: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Of course! I think half the fun would be in the book nominations & discussion on that, actually. I think the only people I would really "expect" to participate would be those that voted on the winning book. It seems like the fair thing to do!

Mackenzie (MacKenziePaige) | 24 comments Sounds like a great idea Ruby!

It'll be interesting to see the diversity in book nominations despite having a common theme.

Dimitri | 6 comments Greetings everyone! I recently joined the group and decided to do so after reading the group description, hoping to get know like-minded people.

I read Slaughterhouse Five couple of years ago which still remains as one of my top favorite novels (not to mention that Vonnegut is also one my most favorite authors). I'm greatly looking forward to see what sort of different ideas and views people will share and how they would interpret Vonnegut's view.

message 27: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dimitri wrote: "Greetings everyone! I recently joined the group and decided to do so after reading the group description, hoping to get know like-minded people.
I read Slaughterhouse Five couple of years ago whi..."

Excellent. Nice to meet you, Dimitri. I'm almost halfway through, and it looks like a fantastic book for discussion. There really is a bit of something for everyone, I think. It's one of those books that works on a few different levels at once.

message 28: by Cc (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cc So glad I found this group! I think your idea about the monthly group read is fantastic! Can‘t wait to start SH5!

message 29: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (crossreactivity) Hi, I came across this group and loved your description. I've read a few books by Vonnegut, but not Slaughterhouse Five. If I can get hold of a copy, I'd love to participate in this month's read.

message 30: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim wrote: "Hi, I came across this group and loved your description. I've read a few books by Vonnegut, but not Slaughterhouse Five. If I can get hold of a copy, I'd love to participate in this month's read."

Sounds great. I don't know what your situation is like with getting hold of paper copies, but if that fails, the Kindle version is usually pretty cheap. (Link at the top of this post)

I was lucky and got it as a freebie a few weeks back. I find Kindle books good for group reads because you can comment and highlight points as you go. (Apart from the stupid Kindle keyboard... grrrr). I spent quite a while last night highlighting madly!

Rebecka I've been wanting to read this for awhile now! I'll grab it from the library soon :)

message 32: by Dana (new) - added it

Dana "dew" (DanaDEW) | 9 comments I'm looking forward to rereading it. Now, if I can just find my copy.

message 33: by Mark (last edited Jun 04, 2012 12:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Rayner (markarayner) | 3 comments This may be more appropriate for the extras folder, but folks may enjoy this video in which Kurt Vonnegut describes the shape of stories. I've included a link to a transcript in the post, as the video doesn't cover the whole lecture.

It'll get you thinking about every story you've read, and what its curve looks like!

Julissa (ta2kitty) Just picked a copy up at my local library...can't wait to get started!

Riona (rionafaith) | 457 comments Well, my library has several e-book copies of it, so I guess I'm back to being in. I probably won't start it until the discussion starts though.

Daniel Ray (The_Wood) | 11 comments I have always wanted to read this book. I just got my KINDLE version, and i'm going to throw in it my book rotation. Looking forward to the talks on this one.

message 37: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks for the link Mark! I'm adding it to the bonus extras thread. Let me know if you have anything else to go in there. Shaping up to be a fun read!

message 38: by Dana (last edited Jun 05, 2012 05:21AM) (new) - added it

Dana "dew" (DanaDEW) | 9 comments Apparently, my copy is a first edition... It smells terrific (yes, I'm weird and like the smell of old books --- not that it's that old-1969 --- something about the paper. )
Anyway, I'm a bit scared to read it. I don't want to damage it. I'll just be reading it very slowly and carefully. It may take me the entire month. smile.

message 39: by Dana (new) - added it

Dana "dew" (DanaDEW) | 9 comments Mark wrote: "This may be more appropriate for the extras folder, but folks may enjoy this video in which Kurt Vonnegut describes the shape of stories. I've included a link to a transcript in the post, as the vi..."

That was awesome. Too bad the video wasn't longer; He was genius in it... so funny.

message 40: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dana wrote: "Apparently, my copy is a first edition... It smells terrific (yes, I'm weird and like the smell of old books --- not that it's that old-1969 --- something about the paper. )"

That's not weird at all. My favourite fragrance, the one I wear all the time, Is Fahrenheit by Dior (the men's one), because it reminds me of libraries. A guy in the perfume shop showed me an analysis of the different scents in it once, and I think it's because it has leather and wood smells!

message 41: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (AmeliaKLawrence) I just found this group a little while ago, and I'm very glad that I did. Slaughterhouse Five has always been on my list of books I wanted to read, and never got all the way through...mostly due to getting sucked into other books along the way.

I just hope I can bring a decent thread for discussion when the time comes to do so.

message 42: by Chrissy (new) - added it

Chrissy | 4 comments Oddly enough, the first time I ever heard of this book was when it was mentioned in Footloose... every time I watch the movie, I think, oh, I must read this!
Lol. Now I beleive I actually am about to.. I just have to find a copy of it first.

Heidi Ruby wrote: "Excellent! I think this will be a good experiment to see what works in the group, and to inform future group reads.

IF this goes well a..."

This is my first ever group read and I'm very excited. I think the bookshelf and poll idea is great.

message 44: by Theo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Theo | 159 comments I picked up my copy from the library yesterday and am looking forward to starting it soon.

Leah M (LeahMW) | 10 comments yes that's a book also i'd always wanted to read since watching footloose.....lol

message 46: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne | 11 comments I just downloaded a library copy for my Kindle, and I can't wait to join in the discussion.

message 47: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Excellent. Discussion thread opens on 30 June :)

message 48: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nice one. Welcome, A :)

message 49: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa | 22 comments I love the theme and poll idea for the monthly reader.

Downloaded SH5 to my Kindle and I'm stuck in a hotel for a week. Nothing to do but read, since I have control of the TV remote (I set it to the off position).... :)

message 50: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Excellent! The nominations for the themed group read are open now too: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

سلاخ‌خانه‌ی شماره‌ی پنج (other topics)
Slaughterhouse-Five (other topics)
Cat's Cradle (other topics)
Lord of the Flies (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kurt Vonnegut Jr. (other topics)