College Students! discussion

Life (Non-college/book talk) > Staying in Shape/Losing Weight

Comments (showing 351-400 of 448) (448 new)    post a comment »

message 351: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (Annashu) Good Job Lauren!

Tami, that just sounds cruel.

I have somehow lost 10 lbs since starting school again and I have no idea where it went but I am not complaining.

message 352: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Congrats Lauren! That's amazing! :)

Tami, that kid's friends sound so mean! Maybe they weren't thinking and are just really ignorant?

Annashu, Woo-hoo! That's awesome. Have you been really busy/stressed? Maybe that's why?

I'm still trying to maintain a regular gym routine. I'm trying to improve my running but I can't seem to go longer than 15 minutes before getting those awful side cramps. So when I get those I usually switch to the elliptical or arc trainer.

message 353: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (Annashu) not really...I'm blaming it on poor kids diet...no money to really go out and get junk food so I stay home and eat something decently healthy, also keep portions small because eating more food in one sitting means I will have less later.

I started running last spring and would really like to start up again this spring, only problem is that I live in the city as opposed to the beach so I'll have to get over my little fear of having people see me run.

Kelly A. | 499 comments I've lost 13 pounds since I started running and working out again in January. It's not much for right now but it still feels great! Eating right is my biggest problem right now...I either eat far too little or binge. Special K is my new best friend!

message 355: by Tami (new)

Tami | 2935 comments Mod
Love Special K. :) And don't knock yourself. 13 pounds is great! I wish I could motivate myself to actually start excercising. Maybe after the 60 hour workweeks let up. But then, I will probably find another excuse.

Edina | 23 comments I workout daily doing Insanity and change my diet up sometimes but it is usually pretty bland so that I can get awesome results which bring me way more happiness. Almost got that six-pack! Don't get stuck, get moving.

message 357: by [deleted user] (new)

i work out daily at sports practice, and in the gym in our basement. about three hours in total. it's really tiring, but i can basically eat what ever i want, and takes out alot of stress.

message 358: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Congrats Kelly! That's amazing!

I've been really good about working out for the past month or so. I'm at the gym at least five days a week. I always feel really good after I finish a workout so that's been a big motivator. Now the eating healthy part? Well...let's just say I love sugary foods a little too much.

Kelly A. | 499 comments lol Tami, I only bought Special K because the "Lose 6 Pounds" on the front was very enticing...now I'm only buying it because it's delicious! The 6 pounds will be an added bonus.

Thanks Jen! How's your running been going?

Jessica Moniz (PortugueseChristian) Man, my girlfriends wanted to get together and do yoga once a week, but it didn't even last a month, they all make excuses why they can't make it. I need an exercise buddy to keep me motivated :(
I can't wait till I can get my bike out though, I love biking! And swimming too! The winter is just a horrible time for weight gain :/

Andrea Boyer (ramenpride) My boyfriend and I have always been putting off working out since.. LAST YEAR LOL. We do go hiking every other weekend, but we really need to get it into gear soon for summer. We're thinking of trying P90X :O

Daniel | 388 comments I have just started p90x and i lost 15 pounds in four weeks.

message 363: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Kelly A. wrote: "Thanks Jen! How's your running been going?"

It's going okay. I think I got a shin splint last week. That's what I diagnosed myself with anyway. So I could be wrong. That's stalled my progress, no running last week, elliptical only.

Honestly, I think I was pushing myself too hard and improved too fast. So next week I'm going to try to Couch to 5K plan and see how that goes.

Good luck to everyone! Especially those started P90X. I think that's too intense for me.

Jessica, I love going for bike rides! It doesn't even feel like exercise!

Sashana | 512 comments Self Magazine and Her Campus are teaming up to follow 3 girls on their journey to drop their Freshman 15. Check it out: http://www.hercampus.com/founders-blo...

message 365: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Has anyone ever done a marathon/half marathon/5K?

I've always wanted to try to do one. I found a local 5K race that I'm interested in trying but I'm nervous and I'm afraid I'll sign up and then chicken out.

Jessica Moniz (PortugueseChristian) Jen wrote: "Has anyone ever done a marathon/half marathon/5K?

I've always wanted to try to do one. I found a local 5K race that I'm interested in trying but I'm nervous and I'm afraid I'll sign up and then ..."

Never done one before, but I've always wanted to try. Whereabouts is this race?

message 367: by Jen (last edited Mar 27, 2011 08:23PM) (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Jessica wrote: "Never done one before, but I've always wanted to try. Whereabouts is this race? "

It's in Providence, RI. If you look online you can probably find a 5K near you. The spring and fall are always popular times for races.

This is the website I found it on: http://www.runningintheusa.com/Defaul...

Tahleen | 1699 comments Jen, go for it! If you're worried, maybe find one that you can either walk or run. If you get tired of running, you could just walk the rest of the way.

message 369: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments That's a good idea. The original one I was looking at didn't have walk/run listed. But there are a lot coming up so I just have to find the right one for me. Thanks Tahleen!

Tahleen | 1699 comments No problem, good luck!

Kelly A. | 499 comments Today was my 4 month weigh-in for my diet plan. I've lost 20 pounds so far! It feels great, but I'm unfortunately on vacation this week and will be eating junk and not getting much exercise. After that it's back to healthy eating/exercise, my weight loss is really inspiring me!

message 372: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (Annashu) Kickball season again for me and I love it. Nothing like being on a team to make me want to push myself. Also we just played our third game this season and one of the captains said that I am really improving!

Sashana | 512 comments Congrats, Kelly! And I hope your kick ball season continues to go well, Annashu :)

Bianca | 251 comments Last time I started working out I lost 15 pounds but then I stopped. Once I stop its so hard to start doing it again. My goal is to keep it going this time. How do you stay motivated?

message 375: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Bianca wrote: "How do you stay motivated?"

I like how I feel after a workout. I feel stronger and healthier. Plus, I sleep better and my migraines have significantly decreased since I started exercising regularly.

I've also been using daily mile to track how far I've ran or biked. So I'll kind of compete with myself and see if I can run longer or for a longer distance than the last time.

~*I love Tea*~ | 124 comments I really want to lose like 7 pounds before I go on holiday, I want to look good on the beach!!! I need to stop eating so much chocolate.

Kelly A. | 499 comments I agree with Jen, daily mile is really helpful! It's such a sense of accomplishment for me to be able to type in my mileage! That alone has been my motivation many times.

Annie (agrunwell) My college has a really nice gym, so I'll probably try to do at least 30-45 minutes on the elliptical several 5 or 6 days out of the week (no treadmill for me, I have a bad knee from a horseback riding accident).

The other thing is, I'm going to try to switch to a mostly raw diet. Hopefully go mostly vegan as well- I've been a vegetarian for 4 years and I think I can make the switch.

And, I'll be walking everywhere. Lots of places to walk to :P

Sashana | 512 comments lol, Kelly A. That's funny. Congrats on your developing abs though.

message 380: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I know a lot of people make a resolution to go to the gym/work out more but I hate how crowded the gym is the first couple weeks of January.

message 381: by Tami (new)

Tami | 2935 comments Mod
Jen, it will be back to normal after a few weeks! :)

Bianca | 251 comments I am not comfortable going to the gym lol but I have started doing a dvd at home. It is a start :)

Ashley | 61 comments Bianca, I'm not comfortable at the gym either. I love dvds though. Biking when the weather permits is also fun. Which dvd are you using?

message 384: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (Annashu) I have a free membership to out campus rec center which has a full gym and fitness classes and I have been meaning to check it out for a while but the thought just always makes me nervous. I've been doing youtube workouts and my wiifit again and feel like I should be seeing more results than am which is frustrating. Time to be more cautious about what I eat I suppose.

Bianca | 251 comments Ashley, the dvd is called Totally Fit(Mel B)

Ashley | 61 comments Thanks Bianca. I was getting bored with a few of mine. It's always nice to hear what other people are trying out :)

Daniel | 388 comments I'll be trying out Rip 60 when it arrives in the mail, hopefully it works as well as people say.

Tahleen | 1699 comments You should check out the fitness DVDs at the library too; we have a ton at ours, and if you don't like it you can just return it.

Ashley | 61 comments Great tip Tahleen. I just checked my library's selection and it has a ton and even more that you can order in! I never thought to check there before for some reason.

Tahleen | 1699 comments Hooray! :)

Bianca | 251 comments Got through one whole week lol. Hoping I am able to keep it up. I went for a walk today with one of my friends and actually tried to throw in some running (Not much but at least I tried). So glad this thread is here it might keep me more motivated.

Jessica Moniz (PortugueseChristian) So, I used to do yoga at least twice a week about year and a half ago. I stopped last summer because things got crazy hectic, and my schedule never settled down.
However, I have a new nanny job, starting tomorrow, that I will have till May, and it is a consistent schedule, where I start at 11 am. They live right around the block, so now that I have time I am going to start doing yoga in the mornings before work.
Also, we just bought an elliptical machine, and it has an I-pod sync, and a book stand, so I can read! I'll do that one at night before I go to bed :)
Wish me luck!

message 393: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori | 2109 comments Mod
I have ideas for my workout regimen. I recently went in halvesies on a Wii Fit Plus, which I want to use as often as I can. I also have Jillian Michaels's yoga DVD, which is super intense, but will be really good to start going regularly. The problem is that I need to figure out when to fit in the workout. I'd rather get up early and work out as opposed to trying to fit it in later in the day. But no matter when I try to work out, it always feels like I should be working on either my thesis or my second job.

Anna, do you do a specific routine on your Wii Fit or just do whatever strikes your fancy?

When do y'all try to work out?

message 394: by Kira (new)

Kira (xShineBrightx) | 3 comments I don't really work out. But I need to start. I have the worst eating habits and barely exercise. Fortunately, I'm not overweight yet, but i really don't want to get there. I find I'm far more motivated with friends and if I'm doing something fun.

That said, I just started a pole dancing fitness class. A friend and I signed up, mostly as a joke. But it's actually really fun and I can see how it would be quite the workout.

Has anyone else tried unusual fitness classes?

message 395: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (Annashu) Usually whatever strikes my fancy, I made a 30 min routine that has a lot of yoga at the beginning then some ab stuff then a little more yoga at the end. It seems decent and I find that if I actually do the routine I stay for 30 min as opposed to doing a few exercises/activities and getting distracted.

I try to workout whenever I can but it seems like I always have homework or real work or am so tired from the two that I just want to relax. I think I need to make it more of a priority rather than a "when I can I will" type of thing, because I'll always make excuses for why I can't.

message 396: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori | 2109 comments Mod
Wow! Impressive!

I've been thinking about this for me. I really want to be working out most days. Starting on Monday, I'm going to do my yoga DVD daily and the Wii Fit 20 minute routine daily. On mornings I TA (and we're at Zach's because he has the machine), I'll do the Wii Fit, then do yoga in the evening. On mornings I only have office hours, I'll do yoga in the morning and the Wii in the afternoon.

message 397: by Beks (new)

Beks (bekster15) | 61 comments You guys all have this great exercise ideas. I sadly have had a different approach thrust upon me. Due to all of the required classes for my major I am in class from 8-4 everyday. This means I eat an apple for lunch, I have lost 3 pounds this week alone.

Ashley | 61 comments My brother got a Wii fit for Christmas; I think I've been using it more than he is. Lori, I'm so impressed by your schedule. I'm still stuck on the highly ineffective trying to fit exercise in whenever.

message 399: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori | 2109 comments Mod
Ashley, I'll let you in on a secret: I'm great at coming up with plans, but don't always follow through. :)

Seriously though, I haven't used the Wii Fit in about a week. After doing some reading on time management, I believe that working out early in the morning, then moving on to the more intense/important work is the best plan. My goal is to wake up at 5:00 each morning, work out with the yoga DVD because it really is the best workout for me, shower, then get to work. I did that yesterday. This morning, I kept falling back asleep, probably because I was up late. Monday I have to start getting up at 5:00 and doing it. That's all there is to it. I want to start losing weight. I want my pants to fit. I want to look good for graduation pictures. I don't want to dread having to get weighed at the doctor as much as I am dreading it tomorrow. Also, I'd like to develop a running routine once the weather gets nice and I just don't think I'm in shape to be able to handle something that strenuous.

message 400: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (Annashu) I went to my first class last night! yay me! It was a yoga sculpt class so it was like yoga combined with some aerobics. I am definitely sore today but a little more motivated to start going to classes. My plan is to start going mon/weds after work, which means I will be spending a full 12 hours on campus but I think I can do it.
Good luck on 5am Lori.