Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > watch out for this con

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Hodge (brucegregorhodge) | 1 comments Not sure if this is the right spot but the message is important so moderators please relocate if required.
I recently got an email from someone at goodreads. At the end of the email were some 'Free Offers'. One of them was a scam. It lead me to a spot where they offered me free trivia sent to my mobile. I said no. Since then I have been receiving trivia sms's, unsolicited and not wanted (I hate spam). Here's the catch. Each time they have sent me a junk sms they have charged me $5 to my telstra account. Telstra have now reversed those charges, but PLEASE check your mobile telephone bills. As I said, in this case I was caught by this con through a goodreads associated email (not your fault guys, these people are insidious). Watch out for billing on your mobile accounts from:

mwayts
mobact
And if you start getting trivia sent to your phone, immediately contact telstra. 'Cos it probably aint free!

Hope you don't get got.
Bruce gregor Hodge

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

That's awful Bruce :( Gina

message 3: by Kara, Director, Customer Care (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Bruce, can you forward the scam email to support (at) Goodreads (dot) com? If the person is on Goodreads, we would like to look into the matter and take action.

message 4: by Rozzer (new)

Rozzer | 55 comments Actually, there are all different kinds of similar charges on cellphone accounts. Unasked for, unwanted and expensive. I just found that I'm paying thirty bucks a month for three of them: $9.99 apiece. Never asked for them, never wanted them, never signed up for them. And if you don't read the fine, fine, fine print of your cellphone bill (these showed up on page 4 of a 6-page bill) then you'll never catch them. I really do wonder what the legal status of these rip-offs can be and why the providers tolerate them.

Bruce wrote: "Not sure if this is the right spot but the message is important so moderators please relocate if required.
I recently got an email from someone at goodreads. At the end of the email were some 'Free..."

unread topics | mark unread