Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Public library book download issues

Comments (showing 1-50 of 150) (150 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by John, Moderator (last edited May 27, 2012 04:08PM) (new)

John | 3836 comments Comments about (problems with) Overdrive and OneClick go here - technical only, rather than discussion of book offerings themselves.

message 2: by Mejix (last edited May 28, 2012 08:23AM) (new)

Mejix | 121 comments Oh cool, thanks for this thread. When I've downloaded books with Overdrive the tracks end up being 1hr long. Is there any way to correct that?

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1499 comments i think that is roughly a standard length...when I look at my overdrive downloads they vary between 54 minutes and about 70 minutes depending on how many parts are in the book

message 4: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3836 comments The "parts" (seem to be) based upon the underlying CD's. What kind of "correction" were you looking to make?

message 5: by Mejix (new)

Mejix | 121 comments If I copy an audiobook CD into my player I get several tracks that are 3 to 10 mins long. When I download from the public library and put it on my player each CD is treated as just one track and it can be 80mins long or whatever the length of a CD is.

message 6: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3836 comments I just posted about CD-ripping in the "other technical" folder.

message 7: by Mejix (new)

Mejix | 121 comments My problem is with the downloading from the library.

message 8: by Sara ♥ (last edited May 28, 2012 10:07PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 305 comments There are programs that will let you divide long files into pieces, but it's a FREAKING PAIN! I mean, you could probably divide them into equal 3 minutes chunks without TOO much of a problem, but who knows if that would be in the middle of a sentence or word or whatever, you know? And then if your player isn't seamless going from one track to another... That'd be a mess... I don't like having giant files either, but if it's going to take me 2-4 hours to divide the thing up, is that really worth it? Not in my mind...

message 9: by Sara ♥ (last edited May 28, 2012 10:12PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 305 comments My library has audiobooks you can download, but you're supposed to use a program called OneClickDigital Media Manager. (I looked and for the life of me couldn't find a way to DL without the software.) GAH. I'm pretty technologically savvy (I was a software developer for a while in college), but I seriously gave up on it. I FINALLY got it downloaded (SLOW) and up and running (UNBELIEVABLY SLOW), but I have no idea what my username/password are if they aren't the same as the ones I used to sign up for my account. And they're not. *shakes her head* Oh well. I'd rather do the CDs anyway, as I hate the hour-long files...

message 10: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3836 comments Net Library (One Click's forerunner) introduced a "manager" late in its existence that was horrible - one book such a horribly tagged mess I had to re-do almost the whole thing manually. You might be able to transfer One Click books via Windows Media Player, perhaps, if you're a PC-person? That's what I had to do with Net Library books (each entire book being a single file).

message 11: by Sara ♥ (last edited May 28, 2012 10:23PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 305 comments Yeah, NetLibrary was a freaking mess!! I decided to give it another go, and I was FINALLY able to log in to the OneClick software.... we'll see how it goes!

EDIT: Oh, hey! It remembered I was trying to check out a book and it's loading it now! Already an improvement over NL...

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1735 comments I use Windows Media Player with my One Click audiobooks I place on my sansa (the One Click app directly downloads my ipod touch items). BUT in order to do this I save it on the desktop as an zipped file - then I unzip it to covert it into an mp3 audiofile and put it into my WMP - --- I normally have to "relog into One Click" around this point so they can verify I am a valid user. It is kind of a pain and there is probably a better way but it is the only way that works for me.

message 13: by Mejix (last edited May 29, 2012 07:29AM) (new)

Mejix | 121 comments Thanks for the recommendations. I appreciate the info.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1735 comments Mejix wrote: "Thanks for the recommendations. I appreciate the info."

Good luck. I know when I have tried to download it directly into WMP it never worked so this is all I could think to do.

message 15: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 305 comments WOW. Pain in the butt much?

message 16: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3836 comments I have run into a couple of instances where the publisher has provided defective audiobook copies to Overdrive, with parts missing or corrupted. (Ebooks also, where the downloaded book turned out to be something completely different.)

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (LaurieKwiltreader) | 21 comments I've used Overdrive for several years and happily spent many hours listening on my Zen MP3 player. OneClick was just offered and I said why not? After getting the password reset 4 times, I finally got in, downloaded a book, tried to transfer it...but it won't recognize my Zen :((

OneClick has it's own player so the book doesn't show up in Windows Media Player. Will try the above suggestions when I have time and patience...thanks for this thread.

message 18: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3836 comments A positive note to report - I successfully returned an MP3-format book early using the Delete feature on the Overdrive console (not possible with WMA books).

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisMD) | 52 comments Laurie (Kwiltreader) wrote: "I've used Overdrive for several years and happily spent many hours listening on my Zen MP3 player. OneClick was just offered and I said why not? After getting the password reset 4 times, I finall..."

I had the same problem with my Zen. Try this. Go to "Preferences" and where it says Allow iTunes/Apple Device Detection, select No. Where it says Default media type, select Other. I guess their default is Apple products. Once I changed that the files transferred with no problems.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisMD) | 52 comments Updating my above post. While I kept getting a message that the files had transferred successfully, I couldn't find the book anywhere on the device. Exchanged several emails with OneClick in which the responses seemed to be "boilerplate." When I emailed the last time explaining I had done all the things in the email, I got no response for a week. Then I got an email this week asking if I'd like to set up a phone call to discuss the problem. Sure! A woman called exactly when they said she would, and she explained OneClick files don't go where you think they might. The only place you can find them in the Zen is by looking through "All Tracks." Sure enough, it was there. Felt slightly foolish, but I will say the woman was extremely nice and knowledgable. Of course, I had already gotten the CD version of the story from the library and ripped it.

message 21: by Sara ♥ (last edited Jul 11, 2012 10:14AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 305 comments I just successfully downloaded my first OverDrive book from the library yesterday! I had a bit of trouble, because I had more than one thing plugged into my computer, and accidentally transferred the book to my flash drive the first time, then couldn't figure out why I couldn't find the book on my Zune. But I figured it out! I'm excited to listen!

message 22: by Regan (new)

Regan | 164 comments I recently found out I can get a card for our county library as well as the city, and the county has OneClick, so I thought I'd try it out. I'm not sure if the problem I'm having is bad design or bad downloads or what. I've sent them an email, but I thought I'd check here, since several of you seem to be experts.

I am using a Mac and listen to my books on the computer (not an iPod or other device) and put all my books in one library in iTunes so I know what I have, etc. On a Mac you cannot listen to WMA files -- these are proprietary to Microsoft PC systems.

I created a OneClick account and set the preferences to Apple/iTunes. I downloaded their software (after a couple of tries) and after a couple of tries managed to get it downloading a book. But as soon as it seemed to finished it announced that it was unsuccessful because I had no peripheral device attached.

So I switched to manual download. It did download some files, but it downloaded WMA files, not MP3 or other Mac compatible files. I've double checked and I've got preferences set to Apple/iTunes and the only device I have listed is my Mac computer. So there's no logical reason it is downloading WMA files–unless it's not actually available for Macs.

There is a big logo next to the title that I checked out that indicates that the title is available for Macs -- unless by using the logo they don't mean Macs, but only iPod devices.

Ideas?

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisMD) | 52 comments Regan wrote: "I recently found out I can get a card for our county library as well as the city, and the county has OneClick, so I thought I'd try it out. I'm not sure if the problem I'm having is bad design or b..."

Keep trying to contact OneClick. They did eventually come through for me.

message 24: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 2 comments OneClick seemed surprisingly simple and easy. I've tried it once and didn't have to download any software. The book went right into my iTunes (I have a mac) but there is no actual book title just numbers, and I'm not sure it was loaded in proper order. Has anyone any experience with this?

message 25: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy (ChrissyFair) | 5 comments My library uses overdrive for e-audiobooks. I downloaded my first yesterday and transferred it to my old sansa clip. The volume is very low. I have to turn it up so loudly to hear the narration that when I switch back to other media without adjusting the volume it's like a punch to the ears.

Is this a common issue? Anyone know of a way to normalize the volumes?

message 26: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3836 comments It could be the (recording of) the book itself.

message 27: by Chrissy (last edited Sep 07, 2012 06:50PM) (new)

Chrissy (ChrissyFair) | 5 comments John wrote: "It could be the (recording of) the book itself."

Ok, thanks. I'll try some others and hope the problem doesn't persist.

I was searching for info on other discussion threads and see that you have the clip, too. To utilize the bookmarking feature, how do I change the book files to the audiobook genre? They were automatically classed with my music files.

message 28: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy (ChrissyFair) | 5 comments Chrissy wrote: "John wrote: "It could be the (recording of) the book itself."

Ok, thanks. I'll try some others and hope the problem doesn't persist.

I was searching for info on other discussion threads and se..."

Nevermind! Just found another post where you mentioned those details. Thanks for your help :)

message 29: by John, Moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2012 07:01PM) (new)

John | 3836 comments Glad it's of use to you - the Sansa Clip was one of the best devices out there for audiobooks; recently, I picked up a second Clip+ at Target in a sealed box marked DISCONTINUED, for when my current one gives up the ghost. The new Clip Zip seems to be less audiobook-friendly, from what I understand.

message 30: by Joanne (new)

Joanne John wrote: "Glad it's of use to you - the Sansa Clip was one of the best devices out there for audiobooks; recently, I picked up a second Clip+ at Target in a sealed box marked DISCONTINUED, for when my curren..."

John ~ Is there a separate thread discussing "the best MP3 Players for audiobooks?" I recently replaced a SanDisk with a Sony Walkman. Either I haven't figured out how to best use it or it isn't great for audio books. I see Target is currently selling the SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip 8GB MP3 Player for $69.99. Can you tell us what features make it less audiobook-friendly? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone else about why they like or dislike their players. Thanks!

message 31: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3836 comments I'm hesitant to start a My Player is Best thread specifically, but perhaps we should have something a bit similar? My comment on the Zip had to do with either the display or how the files are stored?
Amazon appears to be selling the Clip+ (new) for about half the Zip's price, and I'd strongly recommend that route as the Zip's main "improvement" is its having a display screen for cover art, although it does also display clock time, which I admit would be a nice feature.

message 32: by Joanne (new)

Joanne John wrote: "I'm hesitant to start a My Player is Best thread specifically, but perhaps we should have something a bit similar? My comment on the Zip had to do with either the display or how the files are store..."

Thanks, John. I'll investigate Clip+.

message 33: by Janice (new)

Janice Joanne wrote: "John wrote: "Glad it's of use to you - the Sansa Clip was one of the best devices out there for audiobooks; recently, I picked up a second Clip+ at Target in a sealed box marked DISCONTINUED, for w..."

Joanne, I have been very pleased with my Sansa Fuze, 8GB, and have used it for the last two years. It may be a tiny bit bigger than the Clip, but is still quite small, fits easily in my pocket. It bookmarks, and shows the time. I have enjoyed many audio books, and it has also been easy to download from my local library, using Overdrive. Hope you find a device that meets your needs as well as this one has met mine.

message 34: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 391 comments I got a Sansa specifically because it was a lot cheaper than an apple device but would work on a Mac. I can't transfer files directly from Overdrive to the Sansa, but I figured out how to select and drag from the music files on the computer, and that has worked well for me. I don't mind the hour long files because I only use it when I'm working around the house or something and it smoothly flows from one to the other without the hassle of switching out CDs, plus it remembers where I am on the track so I don't have to fast forward anything if my husband uses it to listen to music. The only problem I've had is if I don't "lock" the device and accidentally bump against something that makes me skip the track... then i have to find my place again! I'm getting ready to move, so I hope my new library also uses Overdrive, because from the comments here it looks like people have a lot more issues with OneClick? Or at least with a Mac, perhaps?

message 35: by Julie (new)

Julie | 5 comments John wrote: "I just posted about CD-ripping in the "other technical" folder."

Trying to find your post, John, could you point me to it?
Thx

message 36: by John, Moderator (new)

message 37: by CatBookMom (last edited Oct 18, 2012 11:22AM) (new)

CatBookMom | 1341 comments Alana wrote: "I got a Sansa specifically because it was a lot cheaper than an apple device but would work on a Mac. I can't transfer files directly from Overdrive to the Sansa, but I figured out how to select an..."

I have the same problem with bumping the controls of the Clip. I recently bought one of the cheap silicone covers (it's for a Clip+ but works just fine on my plain Clip) (http://www.amazon.com/GTMax-Clear-Rub...) and that seems to help a great deal with the problem.

message 38: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3836 comments I use a silicone cover, too, after watching a previous player (not a Clip) smash on the pavement; it was dying anyway.

message 39: by binter (new)

binter | 227 comments I have the Clip Zip (currently on sale at Costco btw, $40 for 8gb) and MUCH prefer it to my old Clip+.
I keep the Clip+ as backup, put some books on it recently for a friend and was reminded how delighted I am with Clip Zip.
As for download issues, all is seamless with Overdrive. Sometime a little wrestling is needed with OneClick but eventually, I prevail.
Hope I didn't go too far off-topic. Just got excited about the Clip Zip convo.

message 40: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3836 comments Why do you prefer the Zip over the Clip+ so strongly, other than the cover art display? I do like the idea of its displaying the current time (something that's a plus with my Sony ereader).

message 41: by binter (last edited Oct 19, 2012 11:22AM) (new)

binter | 227 comments I don't care at all about the cover art. I may have been a bit over-exuberant in my Zip love but my device evolution has been all Sansa.

I started with Fuze, which I loved. Nice big screen, easy to navigate. Eventually, the lack of clip became a negative as did the unusual charger/transfer cord it required.

Next up, the Clip. The clip part was much appreciated after the clipless Fuze. But the screen was just to small and it even made the navigation seem less user-friendly.

The Zip is perfect for me. The things I like about it: Cord is standard micro-USB. It bookmarks when I pause or stop a book or podcast. I like the sleep timer option. Screen is big enough for me to see, naviation seems intuitive. I can even customize it so I only have Settings and Audiobooks, don't have to skip past Music/Radio/Voice/etc. Takes a 32gb external memory card. Good price - $40 for an 8gb at Costco although I paid more because I wanted it in a bright color so not as easily misplaced.

message 42: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3836 comments Thanks - I can understand your fond feelings a bit better now. I have an 8GB card in my 4GB internal Clip+ and that's plenty.

message 43: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 391 comments Ali-ef wrote: "I don't care at all about the cover art. I may have been a bit over-exuberant in my Zip love but my device evolution has been all Sansa.

I started with Fuze, which I loved. Nice big screen, easy ..."

That makes me want to go out and buy it! I think I have the clip, but I'm not sure. I bought it within the last year, so does that mean it's a zip?

message 44: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3836 comments That would probably be a Clip+ as the Zip is relatively new.

message 45: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 116 comments If this is answered elsewhere my apologies and please point me to the post.

I am still struggling with how to get my Mac downloaded audio files onto the Sansa clip. I tried dragging and dropping the downloaded files (from Audible) without using iTunes, but they still don't show anywhere on my Sansa. I think I need to convert these files to mp3 from aax, yes? If so, can I do this using Audacity? I have this downloaded on my computer. If not, what program (preferably free) can I use to convert aax to mp3?

Thanks.

message 46: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3836 comments This thread may be of assistance: http://ask.metafilter.com/175836/Audi...

message 47: by David (new)

David | 40 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "If this is answered elsewhere my apologies and please point me to the post.

I am still struggling with how to get my Mac downloaded audio files onto the Sansa clip. I tried dragging and dropping ..."

You can try Tunebite to convert aax to mp3. The program is not free.

message 48: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 391 comments I had to manually drop them from the recently downloaded music section into the "audiobooks" folder on the Sansa Clip. Probably an easier way to do it, but that's what worked for me.

message 49: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3836 comments Just to make it clear, that when I started this thread, I meant public library (Overdrive and OneClick).

message 50: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 116 comments Thanks, John, but I still couldn't pull what I need from that thread. I'll keep looking, and I just realizd that I know someone who does studio recordings, I bet he can break it down for me.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hobbit (other topics)
The War of the Worlds (other topics)
The Good Girl (other topics)