Addicted to YA discussion

Debates > The Hunger Games vs Divergent

Comments (showing 1-50 of 218) (218 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Erika, Superwholock (new)

Erika (teamfreewill) | 3875 comments Mod
So which series do you like better? Why?

message 2: by Nikki , Shade Slayer (new)

Nikki  King (NikkiKing) | 1212 comments Mod
I like them both. I don't think I could choose between them. I likes the story and action in the hunger Games WAY better but I liked the characters in Divergent WAY better than in hunger Games. Plus Divergent didn't have a love triangle!

It had Uriah in his full awesomeness! I liked Will a lot too but wasn't sad when the ending happened. It just showed the control Erudite had over everyone and brought them into a sharp reality. Though I have to admit Uriah has some competition with Peeta who's awesome in his own special way though not really badass compared to Uriah. He's awesome in that cute, sweet, dorky, strong, baker-boy way instead of jumping of buildings, zip-lining, crazy, Dauntless-boy.

For girl main character absolutely no competition Tris is WAY better than Katniss. For starters Tris had a heart and loves four/tobais. Tris also stood up or herself/was a heroine in the story instead of the main character who needs someone else to save them when it actually comes down to it.

I liked the action in the hunger Games better than in Divergent though... They had Tobias's fears and the Dauntless attempt at take over but hunger games HAD the action packed hunger games! With Finnick Odair!! <3 my favorite hunger games character EVER!!! I will NEVER forgive Suzanne Collins for having Katniss murder him!!!!

Kelly (whatisakelly) Honestly, this is a hard decision.
For The Hunger Games trilogy, I LOVED the first book. It had me gasping, yelling, screaming, and rooting for Katniss; basically The Hunger Games made me sit at the edge of my seat. Then I read Catching Fire and Mockingjay and they just disappointed me. It wasn't as good as the first one; I found Catching Fire to be mostly fillers and draggy that when the 75th Annual Hunger Games finally came, I could care less. Mockingjay was full of Katniss moping for her loss, which wasn't at all the strong Katniss I admired from the first book.
Divergent was awesome too; it did the same thing The Hunger Games did; it made me root for Tris and hope she'll survive. Insurgent, however, is disappointing since it doesn't really have a plot until the last fifty or so pages. I don't know about the last book in the Divergent trilogy though because it didn't come out yet (obviously).
But if I have to choose right this moment, I'll choose The Hunger Games trilogy just because of the first book. It's the one book that I read so far this year that I can remember every single detail that happened in the book because I enjoyed reading it so much.

Carcass | 15 comments This is a HARD question. I love both trilogies, but I think I'm leaning toward The Divergent Trilogy rather than The Hunger Games Trilogy. The hype for THG really started to ruin it for me. Its over-done, with all the fall-girly stuff going on. Yeah, I love THG, but the characters seemed to get old after a while, with only a few plot twists in the book. In the first Divergent, the only one I have read so far, the plot twists were like "Oh my god. No! Not this person," or "No!! I loved that character!" So, I choose Divergent. I love Four/Tobias, I liked Will, in the beginning of the book, and I LOVED the woman from the tattoo shop. She was one of my favorite characters. I mean, the character development in Divergent was a little bit better.

Holly (hollyep702) | 2 comments I think I actually preferred Divergent. The twists, the violence, the character builds, I loved. There were more characters to build in this and it was easy to fall in love with Four/Tobias and stay in love with his character. He was my favorite

Becca (beccaa57) | 70 comments I like both trilogies but I definitely liked Divergent better. Like Carson said, the hype and craziness over HG kinda made me like it not as much.
I also just like Divergent better. It doesn't have a long triangle, which I'm getting tired of. Each characters development and story is carried out better and I think the concept is really amazing without being over gruesome.
And the fact that it is set in Chicago is cool too because thats where I live :)

Chloe (ChloeandBooks) | 139 comments Divergent all the way, I love Tris and Katniss equally but I prefer Tobias over Peeta. The ending of the hunger games series really annoyed me, a lot of things were left unexplained, like did Katniss's mum ever get to see ger grandchildren? Was Gale happy? What happened to Johanna? Another thing about the hunger games was the way Collins described the deaths, when -------- died I had to flip pages back and I was like "Oh, wait they're dead?".

message 8: by Annabel ♥, Unspoken Sorceress (new)

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4564 comments Mod
So hard to decide! I agree with Chloe- I prefer Tobias over Peeta and Gale combined, but I like Tris and Katniss equally. They are two of my top 5 favorite books ever read, and that's saying a lottt, because I've read a ton of books though I'm young. Obviously Veronica Roth read Hunger Games and got inspired by it, and I think that the subject line of Divergent was more captivating, but at the same time the Hunger Games more intriguing. I THOUGHT about the Hunger Games more after I read it, but I was probably more enthralled reading Divergent. But the Hunger Games was more creative in a sense. The 3rd book got very mathematical and technology-focused, and that never happened in Divergent. I'm the math type, so I liked that about Mockingjay, but still, Divergent was more of a sit-back-and-relax-and-read type of book.

^Becca--I would love it if Divergent had a love triangle! That would be awesome! I think that Veronica Roth should bring in a new boy into the series who Tris has a short-lived fling with and Tobias gets jealous, and then Tris and Tobias realize that they're made for each other. hahahaha.

Back to the debate-- I can't decide!! ahh !!! This is like the hardest debate ever! I think I have to go with Hunger Games, wait no, Divergent...uggggghhhh!!

message 9: by Ela (last edited Jun 07, 2012 03:53AM) (new)

Ela | 791 comments No question about it. Hunger Games wins easily.
Divergent is a fun story but the story, characters and writing in HG is much more effective and believeable. The book also dosen't focus on romance like Divergent does.

Katniss is a much more realistic heroine(same goes for Peeta and Gale as characters) she may not be perfect but she wants to survive over all else. I think this aim is more believable as it is what most people would probably choose when placed in her situation.

Laura Lee Anderson | 89 comments Hunger Games wins hands-down! I agree with Ela. :) Although I like both of them, I really think that Hunger Games is a classic of our time. Totally getting it in first edition. :)

message 11: by Erika, Superwholock (new)

Anne wrote: "So hard to decide! I agree with Chloe- I prefer Tobias over Peeta and Gale combined, but I like Tris and Katniss equally. They are two of my top 5 favorite books ever read, and that's saying a lott..."

But no love triangle is amazing because most books have love triangles and they are just getting old and sometimes annoying because you might like someone better but they end up without the person you wanted them to end up with! I like Divergent without a love triangle!

Ela | 791 comments Laura Lee wrote: "Hunger Games wins hands-down! I agree with Ela. :) Although I like both of them, I really think that Hunger Games is a classic of our time. Totally getting it in first edition. :)"

Yay! Someone else votes HG! :D

message 13: by Annabel ♥, Unspoken Sorceress (new)

Erika wrote: "Anne wrote: "So hard to decide! I agree with Chloe- I prefer Tobias over Peeta and Gale combined, but I like Tris and Katniss equally. They are two of my top 5 favorite books ever read, and that's ..."

I see what you mean, and the love triangle thing IS getting really popular. Maybe you're right-- maybe Tobias's and Tris's own ups and downs are enough ... hmmmm

message 14: by Erika, Superwholock (new)

It's almost like every other book has a love triangle. I don't think I can take a Divergent love triangle. I could barely take Tris and Tobias fighting even if it was why I kept reading the book. I mean they are perfect for each other!

message 15: by Annabel ♥, Unspoken Sorceress (new)

true! Though I can't help feeling just a bit jealous of Tris... I wish Tobias was real!!

♥Kel (kelsimai) | 97 comments Hahahah i totally agree! Tobias is amazing!!!

message 17: by Annabel ♥, Unspoken Sorceress (new)

In all of YA fiction, he's my favorite character EVER, and that is saying a lot because I'm a crazy Hunger Games fan... :)

Laura | 22 comments Divergent, definitely. The characters better done and you have a good personality layout for each character. Whereas in The Hunger Games there are characters that you never truly know. Such as, when do you REALLY get to know Gale? My favorite character and I know nothing about him. Also, the plot twists in The Hunger Games are devastating, yes, but none of them have a real lasting effect on the plot and in Divergent all plot twists last and carry on with their horror for a LONG time. Overall, I'd say The Hunger Games has amazing creativity and a wonderful story, but in Divergent the writing quality is just a whole lot better.

Chloe (ChloeandBooks) | 139 comments I agree with Anne

Alyssa Corpus (revivalofthedizzymartian) | 149 comments Hunger Games! The whole plot behind Divergent doesn't make much sense. Human emotions and tendencies couldn't be so easily repressed. The Hunger Game's 'districts' are almost like castes. It's at least slightly probable. I mean, it's ridiculous to think that all of the people would go into the factions so easily. Also, HG doesn't focus on the romance(s) as much as Divergent does.

message 21: by L (new)

L Okay, so they were both completely different, despite the few similarities at first. I loved the idea for the Hunger Games, loved a few of the characters, and thought that the writing was good.

But really, Divergent also had a really neat idea, the writing was awesome (and the author's only 23 now!!!!!) and I loved loved LOVED most of the characters (Four, Tris, Uriah, etc.) Honestly, it's a close one, becuase they both were really great series. But I think the tie breaker for me was that Catching Fire kind of brought the HG series down, while Insurgent was just as good and had not a single page (you can quote me on this - you can even go read it again and test this out) NOT A SINGLE PAGE of filler! It was incredible! It was exhilarating, a total page-turner, and so action packed! But it wasn't overwhelming, which is a hard balance to read when there's THAT much action! Honestly, I love the characters in Divergent SOOOOO much better than in HG! I mean, Peeta and Gale and Katniss were great, but Four kicks all their butts and then Tris is just plain awesome and then Uriah is just so loveable that I think Finnick just lost his place for cuteness factor. so yeah, it's a close tie, but the Divergent series wins (if you haven't read the tie-breaker book Insurgent, go read it now! It's awesome! If you loved Divergent, you'll love Insurgent!)

Eeman Chowdhury They're both amazing books but I definitely appreciate the hunger games more. Divergent was intriguing but it wasn't very believable for me. The characters are great also. When it comes to the heroines though, I relate to Tris more but Katniss is just that powerful character that is more unusual and interesting to read about. I think the overall themes in THG are better and I believe it deserves the attention it's getting. As for the love triangle, I think it's just in there for the YA genre's sake, but take that out and THG is still an amazing story. I just think it's more classic and memorable than Divergent :)

Farhia (farhia97) | 195 comments Divergent because I think Mockingjay and the movie ruined the Hunger Games for me

message 24: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2 comments I love them both! THG is undescribeable, and it's amazingly written, I just could not stop reading any of the three books, however I wished Suzanne would have changed some things in the books. I really love all the characters and I cried a lot during all of the books. The series just captivate me.
Divergent on the other hand, is also so amazing! I loved every second of reading it. It keep me up at night and I finished it before I knew what had happened to all my time. I'm so excited about the third book and hope it will be just as amazing! I love all of the characters and I also cried and laughed a lot during this series.
The only difference I can think of is that I loved Insurgent just as much as I loved Divergent while I love The hunger games more than the other two books, on the other hand I love the middle through the end on Catching fire. It's just that I fell in love with the characters and the story in the first book and then in the second book I thought it was a little bit too much in the beginning but then it got better and better, and I loved Mockingjay through it all (*spoiler* But I lvoed it the most when Peeta came into the picture again.)
But if I had to choose one of the series it probably be Divergent, because I simply couldn't stop reading either of the books I just hope that the third book will be just as good!
ps. anyone else waiting for more pages on Tobias pov. and a book about Peeta's pov.??

Marie | 73 comments I prefer the Hunger Games. Of course I haven't read Insurgent yet so it could make me change my mind. I was a little disappointed with Divergent. Don't get me wrong. I really really liked it but everyone was telling me how amazing it was and I don't know, it never really made me lose my breath like the Hunger Games did. I didn't related to Tris as much as I did to Katniss and while I'm really glad that Divergent doesn't have a love triangle, I don't like Tris and Four as much as I liked Peeta and Katniss. I do like them but their feelings felt a little rushed to me.

That being said, I think Insurgent sounds amazing and I have a feeling that I will like it a lot more than Divergent so maybe I'll change my mind in the end ;)

Megan | 110 comments I have not read Divergent. but I loved the hunger games. I went to get a book and I picked out Divergent and then decided to get switch so now I'm aalittle upset that I didn't get it after reading the comments on here

Kylee | 537 comments DIVERGENT!!!!!
So much better I loved hunger games and couldn't imagine anything better till I met Tris and Tobias!!!

Beatrice (beatricemasalunga) | 264 comments Both trilogies are good. I can't decide yet until the 3rd book of Divergent comes out.

L.W. Patricks | 38 comments I've really been meaning to pick up Divergent. I loved the Hunger Games and the fact that the two are in comparison intrigues me even more.

Yuki | 756 comments I like both series I can't choose between the two they were both so good.

Megan Romeo | 3 comments I just finished what exists of the divergent series today, and I have to say its a tough choice. They are both similar yet so different. I think I like the character development and concept of Divergent better, but the Hunger Games has a better story line. Divergent is a lot of action on action on action and the Hunger Games gives you better transitions between events. The characters of Divergent are much more relatable to the reader and I think I fell in love with the sub characters just as much as the main characters in this series. As for the love stories in each, Divergent's was much sappier and the Hunger Games is more developed if that makes any sense.

Lauren | 15 comments Divergent all the way!!!

Diana  (BowTiesAreCool_) | 9 comments DIVERGENT all the way!!! :D

Maureen(with an unquenchable thirst for books) (monnw) | 628 comments I think I prefer Divergent to THG but I don't prefer Insurgent to it :(

Diana  (BowTiesAreCool_) | 9 comments Maureen wrote: "I think I prefer Divergent to THG but I don't prefer Insurgent to it :("

I loved both the books and I think THG isn't as good as either of them. Divergent is better than Insurgent, but Insurgent is better than THG.

Stay Alive (PeopleWereRain) | 873 comments I WAY preferred the romance, couples etc in divergent Tobias/ four and tris over katniss peeta and gale anyday! I preferred most of the characters in divergent too, excluding finnick and Johanna, a lot of the characters in hunger games were a little bit straight forward. on the action front and pure hatred for villains front hunger games owned it! the edge of your seat action was just immense! I actually preferred the divergent world to panem too I loved exploring dauntless and all the other factions in insurgent. so overall their both AWESOME books but I think I'm leaning towards divergent as the better book!

Deborah | 2 comments I think that I like Divergent better. That said, I truly felt the sadness of what happened in the lives of the characters more in the hunger games. I felt their pain and hardship with their newly changed life. I didn't feel this as much in Divergent even though their lives were so turned upside down that they couldn't think straight. I just didn't feel it as much because they didn't make as big a deal of it other than Tris having a few breakdowns. Still, Four is so much better of a male lead than Peeta. He can actually take care of himself and take care of her.

Salma Ayu (salmayu) This is quite hard I since loved both series. I love Katniss more than I love Tris, but I prefer Tobias to Peeta. I loved THG and Catching Fire but I have to say that Mockingjay was disappointing me. I didn't really like the movie though. So I guess I liked Divergent better. :)

Jennifer (JenJenXD) | 47 comments For some reason, I just think Divergent is better than THG. I mean, don't get me wrong, I absolutely adored THG, but I seemed more gripped in Divergent and literally could not put it down. And also, I was more excited about Divergent becoming a movie than I was with THG. Just my opinion, but was definitely hard. ;)

Jordan  | 10 comments I like them both for different reasons. The Hunger Games was easy to read and fast paced. Divergent was a little harder and a little slower. They both held my attention though. I feel like Katniss is move likeable then Tris but Tris is a tougher then Katniss. As for the boys, I don't like any of them :P

message 41: by Sophie (last edited Jan 19, 2013 10:38PM) (new)

Sophie (thunderingheartbeats) | 101 comments Why.
Why?
Why are you doing this to me?!
This is one HECK of a hard decision.
To be honest, if I had to choose, it would be Divergent though.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of THG,
(book, not movie. Book was better lol)
and I'm addicted to both THG and Divergent, but Mockingjay kinda ruined the series for me.
It was like rolling down a hill. At the top (first book), the grass is all lush and springy from the sun (awesome story), then as you roll down, (second book) there is still grass but it's patchy, and then finally, reaching the bottom of the hill (third book) it is all gravelly and dirty and you're all battered and bruised...

That was my experience of THG in a nutshell.
Like rolling down a hill. Imaginative, eh?

I really, really loved THG, and though Mockingjay was still an amazing book, I just found I couldn't connect with the characters on the same level as Divergent and the original plotline was going backwards.
With the Divergent series, however, so far the momentum has stayed constant (and I hope it stays that way!), along with that deadly cliffhanger at the end of book two!
Katniss and Tris are both inspiring and compelling characters, but I lost a bit of Katniss with the whole "Mockingjay icon" thing.

They're both awesome series and awesome authors, but I have to go with Divergent.

Zara Hoffman (AuthZH) | 4 comments I like both of them, but I feel like HG started of really well, got better with CF (some disagree, but oh well, that's just my opinion), and then went down hill with Mockingjay. Personally, I like the Divergent series better because I like the more subtle danger that is presented until it comes to a head at the end of Divergent and continues into Insurgent. Maybe I also like it because it reminds me of The Giver, a favorite of mine and I just liked the premise better.

But to the point, I choose Divergent over Hunger Games

Aliyah | 360 comments I like them both equally. The first book in both series were really good, and in The Hunger Games the second one was also really good, but I'm not going to lie, Mockingjay was horrible. And with Insurgent, it wasn't horrible but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting and as good as it could've been. But both series are, overall, great

Erica | 29 comments For romance, I would definitely choose Divergent.
For the rest, I can't choose, really.

(I do have to say that I haven't read Mockingjay yet, because I know I won't like it... but I'll probably read it eventually.)

R.M.F Brown Hunger games was a bit to Stephen King's running man for me. Still a good book/film, though.

Sarah  ღ | 13 comments Aliyah wrote: "I like them both equally. The first book in both series were really good, and in The Hunger Games the second one was also really good, but I'm not going to lie, Mockingjay was horrible. And with In..."

hmmm thats a tough question.... i love them both but im gonna have to agree with Aliyah about chosing Divergent cause it reminds me of The Giver, i have read the giver about five times and it never loses it awesomeness. The Hunger Games is a great series the but Divergent idea is just more appealing to me.

Aliyah | 360 comments Sarah wrote: "Aliyah wrote: "I like them both equally. The first book in both series were really good, and in The Hunger Games the second one was also really good, but I'm not going to lie, Mockingjay was horrib..."

I know this discussion is about The Hunger Games/Divergent but I'm just going to say this one unrelated thing: I have never read The Giver! It looks amazing & it's been in my "to-reads" forever but I don't have it & my library's copy is horrible. Haha, sorry for the unrelatedness, guys :O

Sarah  ღ | 13 comments Aliyah wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Aliyah wrote: "I like them both equally. The first book in both series were really good, and in The Hunger Games the second one was also really good, but I'm not going to lie, Mocking..."

u really should its not too long of a book and its totally worth it (my opinion)

Veronica | 24 comments Both Hunger Games and Divergent were very good and I like them both, but I enjoyed Divergent more than I thought I would. I think I liked Divergent better because it was a very interesting concept to be living among people who share the same attributes as you. Hunger Games is over.. It's time for Divergent to rise above all else! : )

M.J. Capulet  (mjcapulet) | 209 comments I liked both books. They both had action, romance and political controversies entwined with an awesome plot and dynamic characters. The only thing I didn't like about THG was "Mockingjay". Katniss became very annoying, and she kept moping around about how she lost this and that. I can't say I like Tris very much either, but I loved how her character developed in "Divergent". For the action part of the story, I guess I would've preferred the thrill from THG. The arena was just so horrific and amazing at the same time. Panem's thirst for bloodshed can be compared to the Romans who would watch gladiators battle it to the death in the Colosseum. Since THG was my first dystopian read, that Roman part of me enjoyed the killing and the process of killing. Also, Suzanne Collins did a great job in building tension and killing sessions. I also liked how she portrayed Katniss as the Mockingjay and the icon of rebellion. As for the characters, both series had great people in them. I adore the romance better in "Divergent". There was no love triangle (which seems to be very evident and popular in YA lately), and the romance between Tris and Four tightens up as the story progresses. It had a good YA romance structure minus the love triangle and the mushiness.

Overall, they were both great dystopian reads. I can't say I preferred one over the other since I indulged on both. I love them equally.

« previous 1 3 4 5

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Giver (other topics)
Allegiant (other topics)
Insurgent (other topics)
The Hunger Games (other topics)
Divergent (other topics)