What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

To All My Fans, with Love, from Sylvie
Children's/YA-SOLVED > Young Adult novel, teen runaway, hitch hiker [s]

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Juliette | 27 comments I read this book in the late 1980's. It was at my library, and it probably came out around that time. It was a paperback book for young adults or teen readers about a teen girl who runs away from home. I am pretty sure she ends up hitch hiking. I think she is picked up by a truck driver or by a man driving a truck. They stay at a hotel, I think. I also remember something about blue jeans or a denim jacket, or her eyes being blue. There is an air of danger in the book, but it ends up having a happy ending.

message 2: by Kate (last edited Jan 04, 2009 04:31PM) (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 173 comments Is it To Take a Dare, by Paul Zindel and Crescent Dragonwagon?

Juliette | 27 comments Hmm, I'm not sure. Based on the reviews at amazon, I don't think it is b/c the reviews mention sex, and I am pretty sure she didn't have sex in the book or prostitute to survive. I also don't remember her trying to adopt a runaway or settling down in Arkansas. I'll try to get my hands on a copy to see if maybe it is. I sort of think the word "Blue" may be in the title...Thank you!

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica | 47 comments What about "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues?" by Tom Robbins I didn't read this because I was insolently defiant (of people who loved it), but you got blue in the title! Also, apparently blue jeans are important in the work. There probably is nonstop sex, though. Knowing Tom Robbins, it probably does have a happy-ish ending.

Juliette | 27 comments Nope, it's not that one. Good guess, though! I ended up reading that one in college. Good book!
Thanks.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate (katespofford) | 227 comments Is it Born Blue by Han Nolan?

Here's the description:
Janie was four years old when she nearly drowned due to her mothers neglect. Through an unhappy foster home experience, and years of feeling that she is unwanted, she keeps alive her dream of someday being a famous singer.

Juliette | 27 comments I wish it was that book, but it's not. I actually read Born Blue a few years ago while on vacation in Florida.
Good YA book. Thank you for trying!
I almost think it was called something like "Blue Jeaned Runaway" or something silly like that.

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Go Ask Alice

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments It doesn't sound like Go Ask Alice to me.

message 10: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (Bloomer) | 515 comments Vanished by Mary McGarry Morris Vanished by Mary McGarry Morris, 1988.

Summary: Dotty, an abused teenager, and Aubrey, a simple laborer in his forties, live a life on the run with the infant girl they have abducted, but the endless uprooting wears on Dotty, and an ex-convict becomes the vehicle for her attempt to return home.

message 11: by Cara (new)

Cara | 23 comments hmmm... I'm not sure if this suggestion will help but it sounds a little like Homecoming. I can't be sure though because you didn't mention there were other people with her. Hope it helps a little.

Juliette | 27 comments Nope, that's not it. It was really kind of a trashy teen novel, not anything very well written. I really remember the girl being described as pretty and troubled, and the trucker renting hotel rooms and taking her to eat at diners, and you could tell she was worried he'd try to molest her, but I don't think he did. It was set in the 1970s or early 1980s ,I think. The cover was an illustration of a pretty runaway in a denim jacket, I think..........thanks for your suggestions.

message 13: by Cara (new)

Cara | 23 comments Sorry I couldn't help but if a get a whiff of something that sounds like this I'll make sure to post it.

message 14: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 3 comments The book sounds like "Love Always, Blue". I remember the cover illustration of a girl with blue eyes, on a phone. Do you think that's it? Amazon lists it as by Mary Pope Osbourne, but the lone review isn't helpful re: plot.

Juliette | 27 comments Hmm, that could maybe be it. I am trying to find a picture of the cover, but haven't had any luck.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Juliette, I hope that's your book. Please come back and let us know either way. Thanks.

message 17: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 3 comments I found a synopsis of the book Love Always, Blue, and it has to do with a teen who visits her dad after her parents separate. I could have sworn that running away was part of it, but perhaps not.

I have one other paperback I am trying to find--about a teen girl who runs away and sounds a lot like the book Juliette is describing. Arrgh, I want to find this out for her (and me)!

Juliette | 27 comments Thanks! You're right, the plot of Love Always, Blue, doesn't seem to be it. However, my library has a copy of it, so I'll check it out and see if it is the right or wrong book.

Juliette | 27 comments So, I looked at Love Always, Blue, at the library, and it's not the book. Love Always, Blue is about a teen who goes to live with her dad in NYC and falls for a boy in Greenwich village.

message 20: by April Ann (last edited Jun 25, 2009 02:48PM) (new)

April Ann (Bloomer) | 515 comments Blue Denim Blues by Anne Warren Smith, 1982.

Summary: A fourteen-year-old who lacks confidence and feels completely inept begins to recognize her personal strengths during the summer she works as an assistant teacher at a preschool.

A Thread of Blue Denim by Patricia Penton Leimbach, 1997.

message 21: by April Ann (last edited Jun 25, 2009 02:54PM) (new)

April Ann (Bloomer) | 515 comments Blue Denim Blues by Anne Warren Smith, 1982

A Thread of Blue Denim by Patricia Penton Leimbach, 1987

Blood on Blue Denim by Roderick Cooper, 1977.

message 22: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 1 comments The book is To All My Fans, With Love From Sylvie, by Ellen Conford. I LOVED this book in middle school and was going bananas all day trying to remember the name of it!

Juliette | 27 comments I think this may be the book! Wow! The stolen wallet sounds very familiar. Thank you!!!

message 24: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 3 comments Juliette wrote: "I think this may be the book! Wow! The stolen wallet sounds very familiar. Thank you!!!"

Yay! Mystery solved.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

To Take A Dare (other topics)
Vanished (other topics)
Homecoming (other topics)
Blue Denim Blues (other topics)
A Thread of Blue Denim: A Farm Woman's Celebration of Country Living (other topics)
More...