Huntsville-Madison County Public Library discussion

Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman
This topic is about Catherine the Great
Book Group Picks > Book Group Pick - Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited May 25, 2012 02:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah Sledge (Sarah2Read) | 6 comments Mod
I facilitate 3 book groups at Madison Public Library so, during busy months, my reading is limited to only the books selected for these groups. Making sure these books are going to be satisfying reads can be tricky yet critical when they all fall into a chunkster weight. PageTurners reads nonfiction specifically and the book for June is 796 pages. Thank goodness Catherine the Great is a Jackpot Winner! I'm only on 252 and I can't put it down. I read several bios on Catherine many years back. It is great to meet her again and relize how much I remember of this incredibly strong woman. Pick this one up and meet us Wednesday, June 6, 12:30 @ Madison Public Library!

Annie Lee Phillips (annieleephillips) | 280 comments Mod
I can't wait to try this one out! I remember reading a bio of Catherine the Great when I was a teenager - she was a fascinating woman.

Sarah Sledge (Sarah2Read) | 6 comments Mod
Update on Catherine the Great: Wonderful! Robert K. Massie's writing style is incredibly readable. His portrayal of Catherine is that of an intelligent, personable and strong young girl who uses those abilities to become one of the most interesting women in world history. Her influence on history and culture is tremendous. I am amazed by the international connections and influence she carried during the Enlightenment. PageTurners gave this one high marks and most readers are excited to read more of Massie's works. Do yourself a huge favor and give this one a look despite the size!

Huntsville-Madison County Public Library

unread topics | mark unread