The History Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
WELCOME > ARCHIVE: PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF ~

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Comments (showing 6603-6652)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 133 134

message 6652: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited May 08, 2013 03:34PM) (new)

Bentley | 26256 comments Folks, I am closing this thread because it is now 6698 posts long (wow) - full of welcomes and introductions. If you have not done yours, remember it is part of our group's rules and guidelines and the more you post the more you will get out of the site.

We are always happy to help you at The History Book Club.

We are opening up a new welcome and introduction thread here.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 6651: by C. (new)

C. Hampton Jones (CHamptonJones) | 8 comments Thank you Jill. Won't disappoint you. Will start browsing here as soon I have some other things for Goodreads done.

message 6650: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7957 comments So glad you joined us, Constance. This is history central for the fan of all things history. I
look forward to your participation. Questions?......ask any of the moderators. Most of all.........enjoy!!

message 6649: by C. (new)

C. Hampton Jones (CHamptonJones) | 8 comments Hi Alisa,
Thank you and I most certainly will. There is so much to research and some hints would be very welcome!

message 6648: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5321 comments Hello Constance, hope you enjoy the group and participate in the discussions to be found among the many topical threads.

message 6647: by C. (new)

C. Hampton Jones (CHamptonJones) | 8 comments Thank you for your prompt reactions, Bryan and Bentley!
I am very new here as an active person and I see I have a lot to learn.

message 6646: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited May 08, 2013 01:27PM) (new)

Bentley | 26256 comments No I did not find it on goodreads either Constance otherwise I would have had you cite it.

Thank you for letting us know the vintage.

message 6645: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11066 comments Glad you can join us Constance, welcome.

message 6644: by C. (new)

C. Hampton Jones (CHamptonJones) | 8 comments I am referring to a book that was written by Jacob van Maerlandt in 1280, re-edited in 1530. I don't think Goodreads has that one as it is written in Middle Dutch. My 92-year old uncle recently gave it to me.

message 6643: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 26256 comments Welcome Constance - we are delighted to have you with us. Please make sure to familiarize yourself with the links that Jerome kindly provided.

Non fiction books are a great way to do research while at the same time enjoying a great read.

message 6642: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 26256 comments Excellent job Jerome - and you have it perfect - now let the next one go to Christopher (smile).

message 6641: by Jerome, Assisting Moderator (T) - Military History (new)

Jerome | 2498 comments Welcome, Constance.

Please take a moment to glance over the group's procedures and guidelines. When citing a book and/or author, please include the book cover, author's photo (only when available) and author's link at the very bottom of the post after your text. This visual alignment calls the reader's attention to the book/author promotion, and it also helps Goodreads software connect books with groups and further increases the readability of your posts.

This is how a book you might mention should look:

1494  How a Family Feud in Medieval Spain Divided the World in Half by Stephen R. Bown by Stephen R. BownStephen R. Bown

Please use the “(preview)” tab to view your alignment before officially “posting”.

More information:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

Also be aware of the orientation:

And our guidelines:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask us moderators. We look forward to your contribution.

message 6640: by C. (new)

C. Hampton Jones (CHamptonJones) | 8 comments Hi All,
Love to join this group. I am a history addict and Lord knows where it comes from, but it has been there since the day my father read our family history book to us. (The history of the four sons of Aymon, which plays in the 8th and 9th century.) Nobody can be sure if one really descents from such a family out of 760, of course, but still... I love to do research and feel like a real Sleuth sometimes.

message 6639: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 26256 comments Just as a reminder: we do not allow self promotion of any kind and authors we ask that in your introduction that you not mention that you are an author or any of your books. Additionally, this is part of our rules and guidelines. Just discuss why you love history or what about the history book club you liked aside from promoting any of your books. All such posts are deleted immediately.

message 6638: by André (new)

André (AndrH) | 2382 comments Hi Steve 1, Steve 2, and Linda, welcome to the group.

Apart from all the fascinating discussions on history we also have quite a few fine threads on music - all kinds from all places.
Come and take a look/listen if you like.

Best wishes,

André

message 6637: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited May 03, 2013 08:48PM) (new)

Bentley | 26256 comments Welcome Steve, Steven and Linda - we are delighted you found your way to our group.

@Steven (Steve) - in our excitement to help a new assisting moderator with the Welcome Template - we neglected to show you how to do the citations for the books you mentioned. In our group we have set rules and guidelines which are a snap to follow if you take the time to get used to them. We add the bookcover, the author's photo and the author's link. Jerome was kind enough to give all of you some links to the Mechanics of the Board thread where all of you can practice the citations and we will be there to help you along. Glad you are joining in on the discussion with Joe Persico - we have been waiting for the book a long time and I know the discussion will be quite informative.

Roosevelt's Centurions  FDR & the Commanders He Led to Victory in World War II by Joseph E. Persico by Joseph E. PersicoJoseph E. Persico

Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris by Edmund Morris by Edmund Morris

Pompeii by Robert Harris by Robert HarrisRobert Harris

@Steve (second Steve) - I was out in Chicago (as a Consultant at the time) helping Sears spin off its companies years ago when they were in the Sears Tower right before they moved out to the burbs. It was an interesting place when they had Dean Witter, was it Allstate, Sears Business Centers and a few other household names at the time. Enjoyed Chicago - it was a little more laid back than NYC and the architecture was magnificent especially in those clear evenings during warm weather from the locks. This is a great group and I am sure you will find what you are looking for. The more you contribute - the more you will get out of the experience.

@Linda - we have a good World War II folder which should be of interest to you. Bryan Craig is our Presidential guru and you should pick up the book on Woodrow Wilson that they are discussing now. It is a very energetic discussion and I am sure you would enjoy it. We hope you love this group as much as we do.

message 6636: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11066 comments Welcome Steven, Steve, and Linda. Glad you found us

message 6635: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 1324 comments Welcome to the group Steven, Steve, and Linda! I'm sure you will find numerous threads that relate to your many interests--we look forward to your contributions to our discussions!

message 6634: by Mark (new)

Mark Mortensen Welcome Steve, Steven, and Linda to the History Club. Each of you enjoy history.

message 6633: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5321 comments Welcome Steve, Steven, and Linda. We are glad to have you in the group and hope you enjoy the many discussions and recommendations found here.

message 6632: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited May 03, 2013 02:04PM) (new)

Bentley | 26256 comments Perfection (smile)

message 6631: by Jerome, Assisting Moderator (T) - Military History (last edited May 03, 2013 02:01PM) (new)

Jerome | 2498 comments Welcome, Steven, Steve and Linda.

Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the group's procedures and guidelines. When citing a book and/or author, please include the book cover, author's photo (only when available) and author's link at the very bottom of the post after your text. This visual alignment not only calls the reader's attention to the book/author promotion, but helps Goodreads software connect books with groups and further increases the readability of your posts.

The Second World War by Antony Beevor by Antony BeevorAntony Beevor

Please use the “(preview)” tab to view your alignment before officially “posting”.

More information:

Also be aware of the orientation:

And our guidelines:

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask us moderators. We look forward to your contribution.

message 6630: by Linda (new)

Linda Leipziger (seniorsadie58) | 12 comments My name is Linda and I've loved any books on WW11 and Hitler. I'm Jewish but fascinated that one demented man could kill 6 million Jews and others. I love History and Historical books, although I love some thrillers but really go for biographies of Presidents, Nelson Mandela and auto-biographies about Historical people and times. I think I'm going to love this group.

message 6629: by Steve (new)

Steve Jenkins | 21 comments My Name is Steve. I live in the Western Suburbs of Chicago. I am avid reader who loves to learn about history. I am looking forward to participating in the group.

message 6628: by Steven (new)

Steven Condon (stevenecondon) | 42 comments Greetings,
My name is Steve. I am an American from the Chicago, Illinois area with a 25-year stint near Washington, DC to raise my family. I now live in Manchester, New Hampshire. I love history and historical fiction. My favorite areas/eras are Ancient Greece and Rome, World War II (particularly European theater), and the American Civil War (mainly eastern theater, especially 1862). I have spent a good portion of the last six years researching the Second Manassas Campaign (a.k.a. second Bull Run), with especial emphasis on Stonewall Jackson's Raid on Manassas Junction. The last bio I read was Edmund Morris' "Colonel Roosevelt," about Teddy' last years, which was very good. I am currently reading Robert Harris' novel "Pompeii" and look forward to participating in the discussion of "Roosevelt's Centurions."

message 6627: by Jerome, Assisting Moderator (T) - Military History (new)

Jerome | 2498 comments Angel, Inna, welcome to the group.

message 6626: by André (new)

André (AndrH) | 2382 comments Hi Angel, Inna, welcome to the group.

Apart from all the fascinating discussions on history we also have quite a few fine threads on music - all kinds from all places.

Best wishes,

André

message 6625: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 1324 comments Welcome to the group, Angel and Inna! Looking forward to your unique perspectives in our discussions.

message 6624: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7957 comments Glad you could join us Angel and Inna....this is history central!!! Please join in our discussions/book recommendations. Questions?......just ask any of the moderators.

message 6623: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5321 comments Hello Angel and Inna. Many discussions and recommendations can be found here. Please participate and enjoy!

message 6622: by Mark (new)

Mark Mortensen Welcome Angel and Inna. We are a true global History Club and hopefully you will enjoy the book club.

message 6621: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11066 comments Welcome, Angel and Inna. Glad you could join us.

Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the "add book/author" feature when you are redy to cite a book. (There is a link on the top right of the reply box.) It makes things so much easier for people to see your book recommendations, because they can see the cover and the links to the author. And it helps the Goodreads software connect books with groups that talk about them. When citing a book and/or author, please put the book cover, author's photo and author's link at the very bottom of the post after your text. Because it is on the bottom, it calls the reader's attention to the book/author and increases the readability of your posts.

This is how a book should look:

The Passage of Power (The Years of Lyndon Johnson, #4) by Robert A. Caro Robert A. CaroRobert A. Caro

More information:

Take a few moments to read the orientation:

And our guidelines:

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask us moderators. I look forward to your postings.

message 6620: by Inna (new)

Inna (InnaS) | 2 comments Hey, I am a historian and thought to give it a try and see what people enjoy reading. My field is Imperial Russia, but I love reading history books in general. In fact I turned a hobby into a profession.

message 6619: by Angel (new)

Angel Serrano | 6 comments Hello! My name is Angel. I am from Barcelona (Catalonia) and live currently in London (UK). I love reading novels whenever possible in their original language. Some of my last reads are more non fiction related so I hope to get some good ideas out of this group.

message 6618: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11066 comments Welcome Timothy. Head on over to our folders to find great books. Enjoy.

message 6617: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 1324 comments Glad you found us Timothy--we look forward to your contributions!

message 6616: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7957 comments Glad you are here Timothy. Lots to see and do. Please browse threads and jump right in. If you have any questions, ask any of the moderators.

message 6615: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5321 comments Welcome Timothy, we are glad you found us and decided to join the group.

As you get started please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the "add book/author" feature when you comment. It makes things so much easier for people to see your book recommendations, because they can see the cover and the links to the author. And it helps the goodreads software connect books with groups that talk about them. When citing a book and/or author, please put the book cover, author's photo and author's link after all of the text of your post at the bottom of the post . Placement at the bottom of the post calls the reader's attention to the book and/or author and increases the readability of your post. The books you mentioned should look like this:

Andersonville Diary by John L. Ransom by John L. Ransom
Iron Coffins  A Personal Account Of The German U-boat Battles Of World War II by Herbert A. Werner by Herbert A. WernerHerbert A. Werner

More information:

Take a moment to read our guidelines:

and the orientation to get you started:

Thanks and glad you joined us.

message 6614: by Jerome, Assisting Moderator (T) - Military History (new)

Jerome | 2498 comments Welcome, Timothy. You found the right group!

message 6613: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 1 comments Greetings y'all! Lookin' for amigos that dig history of any subject matter and time period. Just finished a book from the American Civil War ("Andersonville Diary") and another from WWII ("Iron Coffins"). Any historical book recommendations would be great so friend me. Happy Reading...

message 6612: by André (new)

André (AndrH) | 2382 comments Hi Danielle, P.d.r., welcome to the group.

Best wishes,

André

message 6611: by Bryan, Assisting Moderator - Presidential Series (new)

Bryan Craig | 11066 comments Welcome, Danielle and P.d.r. About the size, P.d.r., we feel small even though we have a large membership. Just jump right in.

message 6610: by Jerome, Assisting Moderator (T) - Military History (new)

Jerome | 2498 comments Welcome, Danielle, p.d.r. I'm sure you'll find something that interests you here.

message 6609: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Global NF, HF, European/Brit. Hist/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 7957 comments Glad you found us Danielle and p.d.r.........this is the place for all things history. Please browse the threads and join right in. Most of all..........enjoy!!

message 6608: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 1324 comments Welcome to the group, Danielle and p.d.r! I am sure you'll find many interesting topics to join!

message 6607: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5321 comments Welcome P.D.R., glad you found us and hope you enjoy the discussions.

message 6606: by Mark (new)

Mark Mortensen Welcome P.d.r.. I’m glad you joined the History Club.

Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the "add book/author" feature when you comment. (There is a link on the top right of the reply box.) When citing a book and/or author, please put the book cover, author's photo (when available) and author's link at the very bottom of the post after your text, because this visual alignment not only calls the reader's attention to the book/author promotion, but helps Goodreads software connect books with groups and further increases the readability of your posts.

Catherine the Great  Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie by Robert K. MassieRobert K. Massie

More information:

And our guidelines:

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask us moderators. I look forward to your postings.

message 6605: by P.d.r. (new)

P.d.r. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) This group is enormous! I feel happier in small groups where I know everyone but you have some fascinating topics here.

I'm a retired Oral English professor, a traveller, a tutor, and home, for now, is New Zealand. I don't use my first Christian name and having spent the last ten years in Asia am used to being addressed as sensei or professor so prof suits me well or you can use my initials, but lower case please as p.d.r.

I hope to find lots of lively discussion and different points of view on some of my favourite topics.

message 6604: by Mark (last edited Apr 21, 2013 03:47PM) (new)

Mark Mortensen Welcome Danielle. I’m glad you joined the History Club. A structural engineer is always a great solid career. I know that is not a Wisconsin "Cheese Head" photo. :-)

Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the "add book/author" feature when you comment. (There is a link on the top right of the reply box.) When citing a book and/or author, please put the book cover, author's photo (when available) and author's link at the very bottom of the post after your text, because this visual alignment not only calls the reader's attention to the book/author promotion, but helps Goodreads software connect books with groups and further increases the readability of your posts.

Enemies  A History of the FBI by Tim Weiner by Tim WeinerTim Weiner

More information:

And our guidelines:

message 6603: by Danielle (new)

Danielle I'm Danielle, a structural engineer in Wisconsin. I enjoy non-fiction, and I'd like to get into reading more history.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 133 134