Read by Theme discussion

Read by Theme Official Threads > Theme Suggestions

Comments (showing 146-195)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 195: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments I've added "General Theme: Mental Illness" to the list. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 194: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 88 comments How about insanity?

message 193: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Darius, if you want to talk about a specific book, please create a discussion thread for it in this folder. This thread is for theme suggestions only.

And, unfortunately, I don't think "Interesting/Funny/Witty Dialogue" works as a theme. (I assume you were suggesting it as one, forgive me if I'm wrong!) IMO, it's too subjective and you can't tell if a particular book will meet the requirement until after you've read it.

If you have other ideas for themes, please do share! :)

message 192: by Darius (new)

Darius | 2 comments How about a book that has some interesting, funny, witty dialogues? Not the run of the mill..

I just read When Dreams are Calling by Carol Vorvain

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2....

Great one for its genre. Anybody else read it?

Any other suggestions for similar books?

Thanks
D.

message 191: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Jul 25, 2013 12:52PM) (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Thanks for the suggestions, Julia; I'm particularly intrigued by the Anniversary suggestion!

I've added:
+ General Themes: Nature (a broad theme able to incorporate anything the reader feels corresponds to nature, be it nonfiction about nature, religious/spiritual books about nature, fiction in which some aspect of nature features heavily, etcetera)
+ Miscellaneous Themes: Anniversaries (for books, famous or otherwise, that are celebrating some kind of publishing anniversary in the given year, as per your The Little Prince example above)

And this was my own idea, spawned by your anniversary suggestion:
+ Miscellaneous: Author Birth/Death Memorials (for books published by authors who either came into or left the world during the month in which the theme is active)

message 190: by Julia (last edited Jul 24, 2013 03:37PM) (new)

Julia (JuliaStrimer) I just joined, and already this seems to be a fascinating concept of using themes.

I'm not sure if anything on the list covers the natural world as a theme; I wasn't sure where people like Thoreau or Annie Dillard would go. "Nature" could encompass everything from Moby-Dick to Loren Eiseley's The Star Thrower.

Another might be books that are celebrating a special anniversary; e.g., 2013 is the 70th anniversary of The Little Prince.

I'm looking forward to being a part of this interesting idea :-)

message 189: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Added 'em, Melissa. (So sorry for not getting to it until now--something's the matter with my Internet connection, so I haven't been around much.)

Added as General Theme: Myth and Religion & General Theme: Space

message 188: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 203 comments I was reading something and read the phrase Heavenly bodies and thought it might make a good theme (or two)

1- Moon, stars, comets type heavenly body
or my favorite
2- Gods, Angels, religion type subject. There are a huge number of books to pick with this subject from christian to Muslim. Also if you throw in the Egyptian, Greek, Norse, Indian gods. And topics range from conspiracy to romance.

message 187: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments I'm thinking I might tack "amusement parks" onto the Setting: Circuses, Carnivals, & Fairs one; any objections?

Added General Themes: Memes for books involving memes, books based on memes, or books that spawned memes.

I think we have a Favorite Book Cover one already, Pinky, but I'll double-check.

(Sorry for not replying sooner; I'm not sure if something's wrong with my notifications or I missed it because my Internet connection has been spotty-to-nonexistent for the last week.)

message 186: by Karina (new)

Karina Almeroth (Pinky222) | 13 comments I don't know if there already is this, but what about Your Favourite Book Cover? Or Beautiful Book Covers? I've just picked up Dash and Lily's Book of Dares in hardcover, and I swear it's the most,beautiful cover ever!!

message 185: by Nenia (new)

Nenia Campbell (neniacampbell) Also, books based on memes!

message 184: by Nenia (new)

Nenia Campbell (neniacampbell) Oooooh! I literally just made a shelf for that. *squee*

What about amusement parks? :D

message 183: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Added Setting: Circuses, Carnivals, & Fairs

message 182: by Claire-Jane (new)

Claire-Jane  | 112 comments How about set in a circus / carnival ?

message 181: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Thank you, Pinky; that a wonderful thing to hear! ;)

message 180: by Karina (new)

Karina Almeroth (Pinky222) | 13 comments I love this bookclub!!! And Amara you do such a great job!!! I've looked at other clubs and found some of the moderators, let's just say, not as good as you at your job or coming up with themes! You're so good at this!!

Unfortunately I can only think of one theme, pink cover, haha! And its already in your list!

message 179: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments How about General Themes: Alcohol/Drugs, which would include liquor?

(That's what I've put for now, but let me know if you think it should be more specific to just liquor or if there's some other issue. ;])

message 178: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 203 comments Liquor (either type of liquor in the title or about)

message 177: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Kay wrote: "Read a book where the protagonist is the "bad guy""

Added Protagonist: Villain Protagonist

Sorry for the delay!

message 176: by Kay (new)

Kay Prime (kayprime) | 4 comments Read a book where the protagonist is the "bad guy"

message 175: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Added:

General Themes: Slavery
General Themes: Civil Rights
General Themes: Social Commentary
Titles: Color(s)
Genre: Urban Fiction
Genre: Satire

Feminism is included in General Themes: Gender Studies (along with gender identity issues, lgbt/quiltbag issues, etcetera).

And thanks for the suggestions! :)

message 174: by Kay (new)

Kay Prime (kayprime) | 4 comments Theme: Slavery
Theme: Feminism
Theme: Civil rights
Theme: Social commentary
Title: Includes color-word in the title
Genre: Urban
Genre: Satire

message 173: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Thanks for the input, both of you! :)

I've added it as Character: Someone You Admire / Idolize so that it qualifies not only biographies and memoirs, but also historical fiction, RPF, etcetera. Can't believe I didn't think of that earlier!

message 172: by Tima (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) I'm inclined to agree with Jackie here. I've read many biographies of people whom I find vile (serial killers, cult leaders), whom I find simply funny (Jason Mulgrew, Quinn Cummings, etc) but to read about someone you actually look up to/admire seems an entirely different theme to me. Just my two cents! :)

message 171: by Jackie, New Co-Mod (new)

Jackie | 59 comments I don't need to argue this to the death, but I would definitely read a book about someone interesting like Chelsea Handler, but I would definitely not say that I look up to her. I think that choosing a book about someone you really respect can tell a lot about who you are: a powerful female figure like Hillary Clinton, or someone who created great change like Nelson Mandela.

But I do think it would generally fall into the topic of biographies, so it's up to you.

message 170: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Added:

Miscellaneous: Reread a Favorite
General Theme: Disease/Illness/Health
General Theme: Technology
Author: Celebrity
Miscellaneous: An Obscure Book/Author

We have Revisiting a Childhood Favorite already. :)

I think "A book about someone you idolize, respect, or look up to" might be a little redundant / overly specific since we already have the more general "biography"...? Feel free to argue otherwise, I'm open to being convinced.

message 169: by Jackie, New Co-Mod (new)

Jackie | 59 comments There have been so many great themes suggested already. I'm not sure that I will have anything original, but I'll try:

* Features a disease or illness
* A book you remember loving as a kid/teenager
* A book and/or author you have never heard of before
* Book written by a celebrity (other than author)
* A book about someone you idolize, respect, or look up to
* A book featuring technology as a major theme

message 168: by La_mariane (new)

La_mariane | 39 comments How about "re-read your favorite" as a theme?

message 167: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Don't worry about it, Heidi. :) And remember, you can always check our master list of themes here.

Added "Characters: Same Job as You"

message 166: by Heidi (last edited Jan 06, 2013 08:34PM) (new)

Heidi (Amelia68) | 23 comments Amara wrote: "Heidi wrote: "How about books featuring a character with an unusual job / profession. Eg I just finished a book where one of the main characters was a herpetologist, and one that featured a taxider..."

Oops, sorry, I thought I'd read most posts but must have missed that one ....
I'll change my suggestion then to: read a book where the main character has your own job / profession (and hoping that's not on the list yet?) :)

message 165: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Heidi wrote: "How about books featuring a character with an unusual job / profession. Eg I just finished a book where one of the main characters was a herpetologist, and one that featured a taxidermist. Both pro..."

That's actually already on the list, Heidi. But thanks for suggesting! :)

message 164: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (Amelia68) | 23 comments How about books featuring a character with an unusual job / profession. Eg I just finished a book where one of the main characters was a herpetologist, and one that featured a taxidermist. Both provided some fascinating info about those professions. I'm sure there are many more out there ....

message 163: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Alison wrote: "How about reading a series, since most people can read more than 1 book a month."

Added "Miscellaneous: Book(s) in a Series", which should work for both people who only read one book a month and people who read more than one & want to finish the entire series.

message 162: by Alison (new)

Alison G. How about reading a series, since most people can read more than 1 book a month.

message 161: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Added "Character: Unusual Job/Career"

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

message 160: by Sara (last edited Jan 05, 2013 09:24AM) (new)

Sara Weather (saraweather) | 31 comments How about characters with unique jobs

message 159: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 203 comments Amara wrote: "Hmmm... I like the idea, but I'm wary about limiting it to just librarians. Mind if we broaden that up to "book industry professionals"?

With that in mind, I've added a "Recommended to You" theme ..."

This works for me, after I posted it I got to thinking that sadly not everyone has a local library in there area.

message 158: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 88 comments It looks like LGBT is already on the list but gender studies would be fine.

message 157: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Nov 28, 2012 08:10PM) (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Would you mind if we broaden that to gender studies in general? (Which would include feminism / women's studies, men's studies, and LGBT/queer studies.)

[And no, surprisingly it wasn't on the list yet!]

message 156: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 88 comments It may be on your list and I did not see it but how about feminist/feminism?

message 155: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Hmmm... I like the idea, but I'm wary about limiting it to just librarians. Mind if we broaden that up to "book industry professionals"?

With that in mind, I've added a "Recommended to You" theme and then a more specific "Recommended by a Book Professional" theme to the list. (With Book Professionals being anyone from a librarian to the guy/girl at the local bookstore to book bloggers to agents and authors.)

message 154: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 203 comments Would "ask your friendly librarian to choose a book for you" be a theme? Librarian's pick?

message 153: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Added the more inclusive Genre: Gothic. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 152: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2 comments What about a Southern Gothic novel? Flannery O'Connor is one of my absolute favorite authors and I love the aesthetic of the genre.

message 151: by Raisa (new)

Raisa Ashraf (RaisaAshraf) | 5 comments The 'Themeless' one is the best for me!! ^_^

message 150: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Nov 19, 2012 01:21PM) (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Are there any themes pertinent to it that you'd like to suggest for our Master List? ;)

message 149: by Raisa (new)

Raisa Ashraf (RaisaAshraf) | 5 comments I would LOVE to re-read the book 'The Kite Runner!!'

message 148: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Grace wrote: "Redwall?"

As in the Redwall series?

A specific series is too specific to be a theme. However, Redwall and series like it fit perfectly under a theme we already have on the list, Protagonists: Non-human Animal(s). ;)

message 147: by Grace (new)

Grace (gs_edgarr) | 7 comments Redwall?

message 146: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 681 comments Michaela wrote: "how about a mystery book for a theme?"

We have Genre: Mystery on the Master List already. ;)

« previous 1 3 4
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Prayer for Owen Meany (other topics)
Tom Clancy Presents: Act of Valor (other topics)
Untold Story (other topics)
The Giving Tree (other topics)
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Monica Ali (other topics)