Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
This topic is about Devil's Bride
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Achieved: Series Reads > Devil's Bride, by Stephanie Laurens ("Buddy Read") Starts: July 9th

Comments (showing 1-50 of 137) (137 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jul 12, 2012 08:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments descriptiondescription
           descriptiondescription

Devil's Bride, by Stephanie Laurens

When Devil, the most infamous member of the Cynster family, is caught in a compromising position with plucky governess Honoria Wetherby, he astonishes the entire ton by offering his hand in marriage. No one had dreamed this scandalous rake would so tamely take a bride. As society's mamas swooned at the loss of England's most eligible bachelor, Devil's infamous Cynster cousins began to place wagers on the wedding date.

But Honoria wasn't about to bend to society's demands and marry a man just because they'd been found together unchaperoned. No. She craved adventure. Solving the murder of a young Cynster cousin fit the bill for a while, but once the crime was solved, Honoria was set on seeing the world. But the scalding heat of her unsated desire for Devil soon had Honoria craving a very different sort of excitement. Could her passion for Devil cause her to embrace the enchanting peril of a lifelong adventure of the heart?

♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡

Yup! We are really doing it. We are reading the very first in the Cynster series. Come by and say, "Hi!" Answers some or all of the Discussion Questions, volunteer to do some DQs (but no pressure), or just be a lurker and mumble about the arrogant Devil Duke. Whatever!
But, EXPECT SPOILERS!

Start Date: July 9, 2012

Participants
★Kit
Leslie
Ann
Sandra J
Sarah
Lisa Kay

Lurkers
CaroB
Shosho

CHAPTER BREAKDOWN
Date		Chapters		PPDQs*
July 9th Chp. 1 – 6 Lisa Kay
July 10th Chp. 7 – 11 Leslie
July 11th Chp. 12 – 16 Lisa Kay
July 12th Chp. 17 – 21 Lisa Kay
July 13th Chp. 22 – Epilogue ??

*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments Reserved. Just in case.

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments I would love to join in on this. One of the challenges I have thought about doing is re-reading all the Cynster novels in order. Great place to start!

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments Great, Leslie! Love this one. **hee hee**

message 5: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann Noell (FantasyAnnie) | 170 comments I would love to join in also.

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments Wonderful, Ann! I'll add you.

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 313 comments I bought this one at the UBS because everyone raves about it. I don't usually like historicals, so this might be the push I need to make me read it.

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments Lovely, Sandra! Glad you're joining us.

message 9: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1386 comments Woohoo! I started collecting this series like 12 years ago, now I can finally start reading 'em. Time to get my box and add what I've got to my GR :)

message 10: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1386 comments Ok, added 'em all and I'm only missing #4, 6, 14, 15, 17, 18 and 19. Wow, there's a LOT of books in this series :O

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments Kit★ wrote: "Wow, there's a LOT of books in this series :O"

It is! We'll be doing this for years, LOL!

message 12: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 8533 comments I am reading this book (on 27% now), so I'll be a lurker in your buddy read.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 15 comments I'd love to join, if that's still possible?

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments Great, Sarah! It sure is. I'll add you. ☺

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments I'm so ready to start this! I love this book. I think this is my third re-read of this book and it never gets old.

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jul 08, 2012 11:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments Ha! I already started it, Leslie. I'm so bad. So, how many pages/chapters a day? Total pages = 388. Do you want to do approximately 50 or 75 pages a day? Fifty would take eight days, 75 would take five.

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments Since I'm so familiar with this book, I will go with whatever everyone else wants. I can read it in one day, easy - but I'm happy to stretch it out since I know what's going to happen! I have to finish one today and then I can start.

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments I'm going to make an "executive decision" (ha!) and go with the five day plan. See breakdown posted above.

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments I'm not great at the question thing but I can try to come up with a few for the second round.

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments Leslie wrote: "I'm not great at the question thing but I can try to come up with a few for the second round."

Great, Leslie! Thanks!

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapters 1 – 6

1. So, what is your impression of the independent Miss Honoria Prudence Anstruther-Wetherby? She eschews her grandfather’s side of the family; think it will come into play later in the book? Think she’ll make it to Egypt?

2. Of course, I have to ask the same question about the 6th Duke of St. Ives, Sylvester “Devil” Cynster. Too arrogant for you? Or do you allow some leeway, since he is a duke and all? Are he and his irascible horse, Sullieman, of the same cloth?

3. Well, Honoria sure jumped in the thick of it quickly. Did you like that the mysterious shooting and killing of Tolly was presented right away and that she encountered Devil so soon? Is it conceivable that she not know the name of the duke in the area?

4. How about his internal decision, as she slept in his arms, that she will be his wife? Do you think he is smitten at first sight? Or does he find her so imminently suitable to be his duchess? Could it be it just time that he marries? Or does he just know what the circumstances will inevitably demand? Does he know his mind, or is there a part of him that is just accepting her as his due? Or does he just like the “uniqueness” of her arguing with him?

5. Were you surprised she walked out of the woodsman’s cottage so blithely in the morning? Do you think she would have been more conscientious of possible compromise?

6. By the way, what do you think of Vane (Spencer)?

7. Which was funnier? Devil’s reply that Honoria get used to seeing his naked torso or that her not allowing him to call her by her first name was an “oversight” on her part? Or maybe it was Sullieman eating the scones? Or the way Devil communicated his intentions toward Honoria in front of Lady Harrington?

8. What did you think of Honoria confronting Devil about the illusion that he and the rest of the Cynsters accepted that Tolly was killed by a highwayman? Of her trying to eavesdrop? Think she’ll get in the middle of the investigation?

9. What did you think of Cousin Charles’ “more acceptable alternative”?

10. What did you think of that first kiss? Of Honoria’s resistance? Devil’s reassurance, but persistence?

11. One of my favorite scenes in the book was when Devil and Honoria espied the younger Cynsters paying their late-night tribute to Tolly. Still brings tears to my eyes, no matter how many times I read it. So neat that Honoria understood that they wanted it private. Comments.

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments gig

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jul 09, 2012 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments English woodsman’s cottage

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments both the horse and the man have magnificent bearing. Just like I imagined for the duke!!

message 25: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments **waves** Hey, CaroB! You're lurking. :)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments lol, I'm supposed to be lurking, but I can never help myself from putting my two-cents worth in :-)

message 27: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments That's okay, CaroB! There are different levels of lurking, as far as I'm concerned. You can even answer the DQs, if you want...

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments Best Duke ever! And Lisa Kay, the pictures are great!

message 29: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments Thanks, Leslie!

message 30: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jul 09, 2012 07:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments I was very bad. I finished the audiobook. In my defense, my area for watching T.V. is not inhabitable.

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments Bad, Lisa Kay! (Just kidding LOL!!) It's too hard to stop reading!

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments LOL!

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapters 1 – 6

1. So, what is your impression of the independent Miss Honoria Prudence Anstruther-Wetherby? She eschews her grandfather’s side of the family; think it will come into play later in the book? Think she’ll make it to Egypt? I love Honoria! She has always been one of my favorite heroines. She is so cool under pressure and totally unflappable and yet she's not cold. I love how she steps up and helps the family out at the funeral.

2. Of course, I have to ask the same question about the 6th Duke of St. Ives, Sylvester “Devil” Cynster. Too arrogant for you? Or do you allow some leeway, since he is a duke and all? Are he and his irascible horse, Sullieman, of the same cloth? The scene with Sulieman and the tea cakes cracks me up. Devil is so arrogant and it can get grating. But he is the head of that family and as a Duke, his arrogance is deep-seated. Also, being older and having fought at Waterloo, it's not just a young, cocky arrogance. It's been earned.

3. Well, Honoria sure jumped in the thick of it quickly. Did you like that the mysterious shooting and killing of Tolly was presented right away and that she encountered Devil so soon? Is it conceivable that she not know the name of the duke in the area?I think the author makes it plausible and I do like how we are plunged into the mystery right away.

4. How about his internal decision, as she slept in his arms, that she will be his wife? Do you think he is smitten at first sight? Or does he find her so imminently suitable to be his duchess? Could it be it just time that he marries? Or does he just know what the circumstances will inevitably demand? Does he know his mind, or is there a part of him that is just accepting her as his due? Or does he just like the “uniqueness” of her arguing with him? This is part of his arrogance, he thinks he's found the perfect person and he's intrigued by her strength and obviously attracted to her. But he still thinks he's in control of it all.

5. Were you surprised she walked out of the woodsman’s cottage so blithely in the morning? Do you think she would have been more conscientious of possible compromise? Well, she was half asleep. And she is used to being independent and taken seriously. I think it's plausible that she would feel comfortable ignoring society rules.

6. By the way, what do you think of Vane (Spencer)? Vane is hot! More sense of humor.

7. Which was funnier? Devil’s reply that Honoria get used to seeing his naked torso or that her not allowing him to call her by her first name was an “oversight” on her part? Or maybe it was Sullieman eating the scones? Or the way Devil communicated his intentions toward Honoria in front of Lady Harrington? I like the naked torso comment. Devil's redeeming characteristic has always been his sense of humor.

8. What did you think of Honoria confronting Devil about the illusion that he and the rest of the Cynsters accepted that Tolly was killed by a highwayman? Of her trying to eavesdrop? Think she’ll get in the middle of the investigation?
she will try!
9. What did you think of Cousin Charles’ “more acceptable alternative”? he's creepy.

10. What did you think of that first kiss? Of Honoria’s resistance? Devil’s reassurance, but persistence? works for me!!

11. One of my favorite scenes in the book was when Devil and Honoria espied the younger Cynsters paying their late-night tribute to Tolly. Still brings tears to my eyes, no matter how many times I read it. So neat that Honoria understood that they wanted it private. Comments. It just goes to show how well she understands that family and the dynamics. Also, Devil listens to her, which is key also. I love the image it calls to mind of them trooping to the gravesite in the dark. Wonderful imagery. But it also sets the tone for their relationship. He will let her lead. And she is so fierce in protecting those more vulnerable. I love that about her.

Great questions, Lisa Kay!! Mine won't be nearly so good. Oh well!

message 34: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 8533 comments Yes I definitely been lurking !!
I won't answer the Qs but my impression on first few chapters.
I really liked Honoria and Devil .The way he just expect her to accept him :D he is so smug and she is not impressed . If I hadn't read this one before , it'd have been a good addition to my July Challenge (women with spines of steel) .
BTW I liked the naked torso comment :D

message 35: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6005 comments I loved this book! I may just reread it with y'all!

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments Join the fun, Susan! And I agree about Honoria, Shosho - but she never comes across as harsh or angry. Just strong and fierce.

message 37: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments @ Leslie

#1 – I agree with you completely; she is NOT bitchy at all. I was surprised to read someone’s review that said she was. **shrugs** Go figure.

#2 – Very true! LOL! Granted, I give him too much leeway, but I still love him.

#3 – Ditto!

#4 – Yeah, he’s in for a surprise.

#5 – Yes, I do think she was till sleepy.

#6 – LOL! Yes, he is!

#7 – Yes, it is so abrupt!

#9 – Definitely a creep-a-zoid.

#10 – You are cracking me up, Leslie!

#11 – Excellent point! He does defer to her and listen to her here. Loved the imagery, too! So sweet.

Aw…thanks! You’re DQs will be wonderful, I’m sure.

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments Chapters 7-11
1. Any ideas as to why Tolly would have been killed and by whom?
2. Did you enjoy the picnic?
3. Why do you think Honoria is really opposed to marriage to anyone?
4.What's your opinion of Michael, Honoria's brother?
5.Isn't the story of how her parents died tragic! In what other ways do you think it affected Honoria.
6.Don't you just love Devil's mother! That's not really a question, is it. But still, isn't she just lovely. Do you think there is a story there. And why do all his brothers and cousins have such crazy nicknames! Scandal - really!
7.How do you feel about the fact that she has to discuss her future with her brother. I have the most annoying, obnoxious brother in the world. I love him dearly but I cannot imagine if he had control of my life! This aspect of life back then has always bothered me.
8. Given the status of governesses, don't you find it a little odd that Honoria was one.
9.What do you think convinced Michael of the rightness of the marriage?
10. "I'll be riding you before Christmas." What do you think of his plan?

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments LOL! Great, Shosho! He is smug. Still cracks me up, even after all these reads. (BTW, I liked the naked torso comment, too!)

message 40: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments Yes, Susan! Jump in, the water is fine. ☺

message 41: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1386 comments I'll get crackin' as soon as I finish the book I'm currently working on, I didn't realize it was the 9th already! :O

message 42: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments Yeah, the month is getting away from me, too, Kit★!

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments Lisa Kay, I'll take Honoria and Devil over Fifty Shades any day of the week!

message 44: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments Leslie wrote: "Lisa Kay, I'll take Honoria and Devil over Fifty Shades any day of the week!"

LMBO! Really!

message 45: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 18912 comments Would you rate the sensuality on this one hot or warm.

message 46: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 8533 comments I'd say hot , but the problem was the love scenes were too long ,I only read the first one completely and skipped over the rest of them and only read the dialogues in between!!!

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments lol, shosho, I do that a lot too :-)

message 48: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1386 comments Skip the sex? I couldn't imagine doing that unless I was just totally bored with the book/characters/plot.

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments Sometimes when the scenes are so long and get all purple-prosey I just want to get back to the other kind of action... lol, though what does it say when a romance author makes me want to skip the sex scenes!

message 50: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1386 comments Lol I'd say it's not a good recommendation really. When I first bought all these Cynster books my stepmom read a few of 'em and she didn't complain about the length of the sex scenes, but, rofl, she complained that there was just way too much about horses in 'em, too many descriptions and etc of horses. She's never been fond of horses, but I still thought it was funny. I, however, love horses, so I don't think I'm going to mind. :D

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Devil's Bride (other topics)
All About Passion (other topics)
All About Love (other topics)
A Rake's Vow (other topics)
Silent in the Grave (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephanie Laurens (other topics)