Goodreads Author Feedback Group discussion

Ask Goodreads > ebook giveaways

Comments (showing 1-50 of 120) (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Caradonna | 1 comments All:
I have recently published an ebook, and was wondering how to give it away on goodreads. From what I have seen so far, it seems as though you can only give away print versions. I have also heard about people creating an "event" to mark the dates of a free ebook giveaway.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I am new to this site, and honestly don't really understand how this works. Has anyone done a successful ebook "giveaway" promotion? If so, how?

Thanks!

message 2: by Philip (new)

Philip | 4 comments You are right. They have not set up the system to allow ebook giveaways yet. This is puzzling. In any case, you can do an ebook giveaway on Librarything.com, which is a similar site.

message 3: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 30 comments You can also do a giveaway by putting your eBook on Smashwords and generating a coupon code which you can then give to anyone you want. Using something like Rafflecopter (and awesomely fun and easy-to-use tool) on Facebook you just offer the code to the winner and they go get precisely the format (Kindle, Nook, Sony, whatever) that they need/want. Smashwords coupons make a sales record so your winner will be a bonafide customer with a purchase history. This is a plus, if you ask me.

Goodreads is definitely planning to create the eBook giveaway (I saw it in a newsletter this spring) but they're taking a while to debug it. I really prefer they debug it completely before launching anything, even in Beta.

Oh, I think there's also a way to do a giveaway on Amazon Kindle (NOT the KDP Select program, I mean a "gifting" of a book by the author) but Amazon requires recipients to be registered customers and they definitely have to set up their Kindle account--and you can only give away a Kindle book which obviously won't work for an ePub based eReader ((wink)) You can load Kindle apps everywhere but just because you CAN doesn't mean people WILL. ((double wink))

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks
Author of Conditioned Response A SciFi Thriller to Remember--If You Can!

message 4: by David (new)

David Barker (DavidBarker) | 5 comments Hi. I'm new to this group but not Goodreads. Did this process (ebook give aways) change? I gave away a few of my ebooks in the past, the latest perhaps a month or so ago. Now I can't even find the posts where I did that. I don't come to Goodreads very often, so perhaps the situation has changed and it's no longer allowed in the existing group discussions. David

message 5: by Travis (new)

Travis Simmons | 42 comments This is very interesting to me. I am seeking to publish my book in e-book format only, but the giveaways would be a huge promotional help. As e-books are becoming a large part of future book sales they should hope on this tool. Any news of when it will be up?

message 6: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 109 comments I did the same as Virginia for my Kindle book--just posted a link for people and the dates of the giveaway...not sure about Goodreads as far as e-books go but I did a giveaway here for the paper edition of The Moonstone.

message 7: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Llorca | 32 comments I have 1,562 downloads so far! One from France. 32 from Germany. Not a single cross sale or borrow.

message 8: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 109 comments Virginia wrote: "I have 1,562 downloads so far! One from France. 32 from Germany. Not a single cross sale or borrow."
fantastic! how do you track that?

message 9: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Llorca | 32 comments It's on the reports page. I got past 6,000. I'm in shock. Hope some actually read it.

message 10: by John (new)

John Lawrie-Welsh (JLawrie-Welsh) | 1 comments John Lawrie-Welsh, Cuelsin.

Free downloads of Cuelsin top 4k since Christmas 2011 but there is little evidence of an effect on sales of held to Account.

message 11: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 109 comments Virginia wrote: "It's on the reports page. I got past 6,000. I'm in shock. Hope some actually read it."
How did you advertise it?

message 12: by Travis (new)

Travis Simmons | 42 comments Which reports page? On this site or on another site?

message 13: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 109 comments I think she's talking about KDP (Kindle) select on amazon...if your are a member you can do a giveaway...

message 14: by Marjorie (last edited Jun 06, 2012 03:59PM) (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 30 comments Travis wrote: "Which reports page? On this site or on another site?"

Yes, on the KDP.amazon.com "Dashboard" you see a menu at the top "Bookshelf | Reports | Community" and click "Reports" then select amazon.com or amazon.co.uk or other countries (assuming you selected to do worldwide distribution ;-) When you click to see sales or royalties to date (last 6 weeks) you get detailed stats. That's how Virginia was able to figure out she'd "sold" 6000 free copies so far.

You can also get similar stats from the Smashwords Dashboard (they even have line charts showing how many people sampled versus downloaded the whole book, by paid customers) and with Smashwords, you can issue a coupon code setting the end date. Forex I have one I set to give away Conditioned Response free so that the SciFi and Heroic Fantasy Group (here on Goodreads) could get it for free. That is, in thanks to them selecting my book as a group read for this month, I offered it free for the first week via Smashwords coupon code). I've been tweeting the link but not the coupon code, deliberately restricting downloads ;-)

If you tweet the coupon code and get RT'd often enough by enough peeps with large numbers of followers, guaranteed you'll have a LOT of downloads--and coupon codes that make the price $0.00 actually appear in your sales history, affecting your sales rank (only on Smashwords but still).

In case anyone here has not heard or been with Smashwords more than a year, coming up in July they have a site wide blowout sale. Super bonanza with "pre-made" codes customers can use to get discounts on books. As an author, you have to enter your book in the "Smashwords Summer/Winter Sale" promo, but you can choose the discount rate, and you can change it anytime you like and you can remove your book from the promo if you change your mind (but why would you?) Last year, a lot of people "forgot" to use the codes (wink)

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 15: by Eric (new)

Eric Wright | 68 comments Strangely, I got zero downloads reported for last Saturday's giveaway of "Captives of Minara" although, several told me they had downloaded? Reporting problems anyone?

message 16: by Eric (new)

Eric Wright | 68 comments Finally figured out that I have to go to the Reports section of my Amazon page and open #2, Six Week's Royalties. There I found out I had + or - 650 free downloads on three different days. But so far sales have amounted to only about $27
I'll wait and see what happens in the weeks ahead when I have no free days.

message 17: by Jon (new)

Jon Etheredge (JonEtheredge) | 495 comments I'm seeing some free loaders (!?) in the Amazon stats for my first foray into Kindle giveaways, but not the volume I expected. Are short stories not in demand? Should I bundle them into a single volume?

"Shooter TWO-TWO-FIVE", free for two more days at http://www.amazon.com/Shooter-TWO-TWO...

message 18: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 109 comments Hi Jon,
I went to Amazon to take a look at your book--all looks good except you don't have any reviews yet...that could be a factor...

message 19: by Jon (new)

Jon Etheredge (JonEtheredge) | 495 comments The eternal circle.

message 20: by Eric (new)

Eric Wright | 68 comments Reviews are a challenge. I hope with all the books people downloaded from me over the last 3 weeks, i'll get a couple of reviews.

message 21: by Jon (last edited Jun 12, 2012 01:55PM) (new)

Jon Etheredge (JonEtheredge) | 495 comments Perhaps what we need to do is redefine the circle. The old paradigm was "I write, you buy, you review, more readers buy, I get rich and move to the Bahamas." That stopped working, obviously because the reviewer was required to not only read the book, but to pay for the privilege of writing a review.

Enter the giveaway. The paradigm shifts into "I write, I buy, you read, you review (if you're not too tired)". It looks promising, but the prospective reviewer has no vested interest. Unless the story leaves the reader in a state of prolonged physical arousal (by the way...all mine DO), writing a two-paragraph review is likely to take a back seat to a nice two-hour nap.

That leaves pay-for-review. Kirkus has the lock on this industry, but it's too expensive for me. Also, you only get one review for your five hundred smackeroos. And they could tell you your book stinks.

I pause to cogitate on the conundrum. Should I give away more books? Should I call every member of my family and remind them to open last year's Christmas box from me? Should I open ten different accounts on Amazon and write my own reviews?

"Hmmmm," he said to himself. "How unethical would that be, in the long run?"

message 22: by Eric (new)

Eric Wright | 68 comments I just hope people like my books and send me a comment. When they do, I ask if they feel they can to put up a few sentences about the book on my sites.

message 23: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 109 comments Jon wrote: "Perhaps what we need to do is redefine the circle. The old paradigm was "I write, you buy, you review, more readers buy, I get rich and move to the Bahamas." That stopped working, obviously becau..."

I sent my book out to several strangers for review--(people I found on blogs who seemed my readers)I also paid for one and asked other online acquaintances if they would review...and if you have friends who liked your book I don't see anything unethical about asking them to write a review--

message 24: by Paul (last edited Jun 14, 2012 04:54AM) (new)

Paul | 42 comments Reviews appear to make a big difference. Many sites that list free ebooks require 5-10-20 reviews before they will list your book. That makes it hard for a brand new release to get listed for good exposure. I had two 2-day giveaways for a nonfiction book where I felt 800 and 600 downloads was not too bad. But the last free giveaway day got picked up and listed by Ereader News Today in it's last grouping of the day, and my giveaways shot up from 450 to 3350 from 7 pm to midnight. And sales have increased.

message 25: by Jon (new)

Jon Etheredge (JonEtheredge) | 495 comments I'm definitely doing something wrong, then. After four days I only show 57 downloads. Could be the genre, I suppose (fiction, short story).

message 26: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 109 comments There are a lot of people who like short stories--as Virginia mentioned, you need to let everyone know about the giveaway--send e-mails out to everyone in your mailbox, tweet and put it on facebook as well as your blog if you have one...

message 27: by Jaye (new)

Jaye Frances | 12 comments Jon wrote: "I'm definitely doing something wrong, then. After four days I only show 57 downloads. Could be the genre, I suppose (fiction, short story)."

Hi, Jon,
You might try approaching book bloggers who feature/focus on your genre. There's a wealth of blogger info available at:

http://hampton-networks.com/category/...

Many of these bloggers are available to do a review, though you may have to wait for your turn in their schedule. If they like the book, though, it's worth the wait.

Good luck!Jaye Frances

message 28: by Larry (new)

Larry Crane (mainelarrycrane) | 4 comments I've read all the comments on this topic with interest. I did a GR giveaway on the print version of my thriller "A Bridge to Treachery", but when it comes to ebook giveaways I don't think I can just giveaway thousands or hundreds or whatever downloads because my publisher gets a portion of sales proceeds and would not appreciate that. I presume all the discussions of giving away ebooks by the thousands works because the book is truly self published, and you can do whatever you like with the "sales" proceeds. Correct? How do I get around this?

message 29: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 109 comments Things are different in the regular publishing world. Yes, I was able to do a giveaway on Amazon by joining KDP select--I have a contract with them for 3 months during which time I can't publish electronically with anyone else...If you have hard copy of your book or can get some, you could manage a giveaway on Goodreads...I did that as well and just mailed the books to the recipients...

message 30: by Larry (new)

Larry Crane (mainelarrycrane) | 4 comments Thanks Nikki. I too just did a paperback giveaway on Goodreads, have sent out the books, have received two ratings and 1 review so far and am watching to see it unfold. I don't know about the "regular" publishing world. The publisher of my book is a subsidy publisher. I suppose I could just get in touch with them and ask them to do an ebook giveaway (if I'm willing to forgo any royalties, would they also?) . As far as I can tell they are doing very little to market the book. With my giveaway, I'm giving books that I bought from the publisher at a 40% discount, and I pay for the shipping. My hope is that I can generate interest in the book through reviews and ratings coming from the giveaway "winners" and from the folks who added it to their shelf. This is all new to me, but sort of fascinating.

message 31: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 109 comments sounds like you're on the right track...I have decided that ultimately it just takes time..I published in paper as well as electronically because I don't like to read e-books myself..I have a friend whose book is on my computer and I'm having a hard time making myself read it!
It is fascinating, and that's a good way of looking at it.

message 32: by Travis (new)

Travis Simmons | 42 comments It is very fascinating. I love this site and the potential there to advance your work. Larry, I also went through a vanity publisher, and I think I will drop them. What am I getting out of them? I pay them to publish my book, do the cover art and they collect money ON the book as well. When I really sat down and thought about it, they wouldn't even work with me on price for free e-books or such. It was really hands-tying to be honest. Now I am looking for an indie publisher and if that fails I will publish through lulu and KDP so I can offer free e-books. To me the best promotion you can do is giveaways, because with goodreads, the more you rate and review books you have won in giveaways, the higher your chance goes up to win more giveaways you enter.

I wish you luck, really look at the publisher you have and decide if it is benefiting you. At first it was benefiting me because it took away the stress of formatting the inside and the cover art. But honestly? If you are worried about formatting the inside of an e-book there are people who will do it for a fee (the one I found does it for $30 for a book my size, which is large. That is a HUGE price gap between what I paid my vanity publsiher.)

Good luck!

message 33: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 109 comments Travis, I published with Createspace under my own publishing name, if that's any help to you. They did the cover art as well and did a great job for very little money.(if you don't have to do more than one go through for editing mistakes)They also format for kindle...I highly recommend them. I agree with you about reviews

message 34: by Travis (new)

Travis Simmons | 42 comments Oh, nice. I was looking at createspace, my only worry was the distribution, or if there was any. But I am torn, because I feel the majority of people use amazon now for dead tree books, and the kindle and its app is everywhere. How is your reach?

message 35: by Larry (new)

Larry Crane (mainelarrycrane) | 4 comments Now, I know this is veering off the subject, but the value of a subsidy publisher did come up so... My experience has been that I could never have edited my book properly either grammar-wise or with respect to too many instances where the writing just wasn't clear enough (and I didn't see it even though I'd gone over the thing a thousand times). I needed the services they provided, and I benefitted from the encouragement and enthusiasm they gave me. They've not done great things for me in the marketing arena, but I suspect if I simply ask them to go along with me on an ebook giveaway, they will bite.

message 36: by Bill (new)

Bill Cokas (bcokas) | 23 comments I had zero success with KDP Select, but also because I didn't do a giveaway during the three months...BECAUSE I wanted to build up my reviews beforehand. So I will try it again. Meanwhile, here's a short interview with me on Hopelessly Devoted Bibilophile Blog, where you can also win a pair of my humorous suspense e-books! http://www.hopelessbibliophile.com/

message 37: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 109 comments Travis wrote: "Oh, nice. I was looking at createspace, my only worry was the distribution, or if there was any. But I am torn, because I feel the majority of people use amazon now for dead tree books, and the kin..."
createspace links directly with Amazon..they also list your book on Ingram and if you get a library of congress # it can go to libraries as well...after my 3 months is up on KDP select I plan to e-publish on Smashwords and maybe Nook, although that might be more money out for formatting...as far as editing goes--I hired an editor early on although I didn't have my books line-edited. However, my husband and I went through the manuscript with a fine tooth comb before we submitted to Createspace...mistakes still pop up but by the time we were finished it was pretty good as far as punctuation, missing apostrophes,typos, etc..

message 38: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 109 comments Bill wrote: "I had zero success with KDP Select, but also because I didn't do a giveaway during the three months...BECAUSE I wanted to build up my reviews beforehand. So I will try it again. Meanwhile, here's a..."

Not sure what the point of KDP select is if you don't do a giveaway--I have to look into it because I'm on it for another two months!

message 39: by Bill (new)

Bill Cokas (bcokas) | 23 comments KDP Select claims that you also get increased exposure, etc. in the process, so theoretically, there are benefits even w/o doing a giveaway, but I did not see any. Buying and borrowing was exactly in line with my other book, which was not in the program.

message 40: by Bill (new)

Bill Cokas (bcokas) | 23 comments Paul, I was not aware of any sites that will list books contingent on # of reviews. Would you mind mentioning a few?

message 41: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Cantwell (LynneCantwell) | 13 comments Nikki wrote: "after my 3 months is up on KDP select I plan to e-publish on Smashwords and maybe Nook, although that might be more money out for formatting..."

Save your money. In my experience (2 self-pubbed novels and one short story), formatting for KDP/Smashwords/Nook is all the same. I followed the Smashwords Style Guide to prepare the Smashwords version. For the Kindle version, I used the Smashwords version, changing nothing *except* to replace the word "Smashwords" with the word "Kindle" in the front and back matter (and I think I moved the link to my Author Central page up on my "how to contact me" list, too) -- the rest of the formatting was exactly the same. For Nook, same-same, except I also had to replace the page breaks at the ends of chapters, etc., with section breaks.

That's all there is to it.

message 42: by Jon (new)

Jon Etheredge (JonEtheredge) | 495 comments Wow, Lynne. You are my new living god.

message 43: by Marjorie (last edited Jun 19, 2012 02:56AM) (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 30 comments Bill wrote: "Paul, I was not aware of any sites that will list books contingent on # of reviews. Would you mind mentioning a few?"

Bill, I don't have a clue where/what Paul was talking about so I'm not "answering" his post but you and he both seemed to be interested in building up reviews and doing free giveaways to do it. There are a lot of other people here interested in doing free giveaways (duh, name of the thread!) so I'll ramble on a bit here about this subject, given this is my first posting on this thread of the group.

On Giving Your eBook Away Free
A "giveaway" is sometimes a contest where you give away a free copy or limited number of copies to a selected "winner" but you can give your book away free to whomever you want. You own it. The KDP Select program allows you to give away your book free to Amazon customers (and only Amazon customers). Other sites like Smashwords allow you to use a coupon code to give your book away free to anyone who has the code (and you can tweet the code, blog it or include it in any number of publicity pieces).

You can do an eBook giveaway by creating an Event on Goodreads "announcing" the "free status" of your eBook and linking to any site (or multiple sites) where the book is being offered for free. You don't have to use some (or one) specific system for doing a "giveaway" of your book. In fact, you should probably use them all--or all of the ones you can!

If you are no longer in the restrictive KDP Select program (the 90-day period is exclusive to Amazon and you must make sure to REMOVE your book from anywhere else it might've gotten or you're in breach of the contract terms) you can try other free sites. There are a bazillion of them.

Again, I stress, be careful to read the terms of service for any site where you consider giving your book away. Read the TOS and read about the admins of the site, check for any loopholes about "reposting" your book (some sites take the book you upload and sell it elsewhere for money, citing an "affiliate" clause in their free site's TOS so read everything carefully FIRST).

My favorite free site is Bibliotastic.

http://www.bibliotastic.com/

That site is set up to be free to upload for authors and free to download for readers and they offer books with NO DRM. That right there sets them apart from a lot of the non-big-name ebook sites.

You'll notice some big names are there (Charlie Stross is a "big name" to me anyway, given he's got a long backlist at Tor). The site is based in the UK so it's a good one for American authors to use to get "across the Pond" traction and I've saved the best for last.

The site has volunteer reviewers. You cannot "solicit" them or "make" them read and review your book but there are 4 people who read and review books on the site and the editorial favorites get featured on the home page (thus insuring greater number of views by new visitors). Read about their reviewers here:

http://www.bibliotastic.com/content/bibliotastic-reviewers

There are a bazillion "free ebook giveaways" sites but most of them are so sales-pitchy as to be annoying to me, as an author. I can't imagine readers enjoy browsing with ads blinking and flashing in their face every two seconds.

On Getting Reviews
The best way to get reviews is to solicit them. Find book bloggers, reviewers and volunteer readers and send them a free copy of your book specifically telling them what you expect in exchange (reviews on thus and such sites). List your book pages for them. Don't expect reviewers of a free book to pay money afterwards to post their review (so places like Amazon, where you can post a review for free are good, but places like Nook where you must buy the book to review it, are not).

It's a lot of work over a period of time (not hours or days, but weeks and months) to collect and establish a base of reviews. I just launched my book and have been working non-stop until the past 2 weeks to get reviewers to read it. I've got about 18 reviews scattered across the internet out of a total of 25 readers who took a free book. Not bad ratio but not a huge review base either. And my sales rank on Amazon is sticking at the 100k level. Reviews help sell books but you still have to promote it to get the sales rank. I've had too much going on in real life to do it all at once so this summer I'll focus on sales rank now that I have some reviews on Amazon.

One step at a time, expect it to take 6 mos or a year to really build momentum. Don't expect overnight success and you won't be disappointed but rather, encouraged because if you stick with it, getting a book launched and selling is not hard. It's just tedious, time-consuming "unfun" marketing work that takes you away from writing the next book. You have to do both but you have to have the right expectations to either one well.

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 44: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 30 comments M.R. For someone (like yourself) who (A) has more than one book out and already selling itself, and (B) already has a fan base, yeah, you don't need to solicit reviews. There are a lot of us, however, who are on our FIRST book and it's fairly easy to get reviews but because it takes time and effort, a lot of new authors look at someone like (who then says they don't solicit reviews) and they think "What's wrong with me and my book that I can't do that overnight, too?"

It's a little misleading to tell people on a thread where newbies are trying to figure out how the system works "I hardly ever solicit and I have hundreds"

Maybe instead you could share what you did back in the beginning with the very first book you released. Did you send out early review copies (ARCs) to anyone PRIOR to release forex? DId you do ANYTHING in the way of promo prior to the release date or did you wait until you had the book out there selling before you started your marketing and promotion? I spent 8 months prior to having any book selling doing a bit of advance promo to build anticipation and readership interest. I'm pretty sure that's why I was able to start selling on Day One. I know a few friends with 5 or 6 books out say they didn't advance promo anything but saw an immediate jump in sales the minute they had more than 3 books out, around the 4th or 5th title seems, generally, to be the break point for sales to jump (on all titles) and this is not necessarily related to series books but rather, just an author having more than one book for sale--anything more than one.

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 45: by Travis (new)

Travis Simmons | 42 comments So my question is, then, how do you advance promo? As being self-published I don't know the "release" date of my book, so how would I build anticipation. This is a great and informative thread BTW!

message 46: by Bill (new)

Bill Cokas (bcokas) | 23 comments Great question--when I was finally ready to "release" my book, I found out some official review sites want a copy 4 months in advance, so basically I blew my shot with them before I knew I even had one.

message 47: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 30 comments Hi Travis and Bill,

I just read back through this thread (by accident since my iPad didn't take me to the end like my laptop does) and I didn't remember posting on here previously. Kewel that I had.

By "advance promo" I just meant I started tweeting last year about the series, about the book and on some of the hashtags I felt would be suitable. I have a way of doing #SampleSunday that I like but I don't think I've seen too many others doing it. I seem to sell books Sun and Mon when I do this (only done it 2x since I released April 20th 'cos it's a PITA)

I use Hootsuite which lets you schedule tweets. I just upgraded to the Pro version but I JUST did that; I've done it manually by hand in the free version since June of last year. It's just time, not hard. I created tweets, about one every hour and picked either the top of the hour (:00) or the bottom of the hour (:30) for every tweet. On each tweet, I'd put a line or two from a scene in the book that was whatever mood or sample I was trying to push that week. At the start of the tweet, of course, I put #SampleSunday and at the end of the tweet, I started using my book's hash #ConditionedResponse (I should've made it #CondResp right from the start! So silly not to shorten it but I wanted to make sure the title was recognizable to build up subliminal recognition through sheer repetition.)

I scheduled tweets for about 18 hrs that way. Then, in addition, in between the snippet tweets, I put links to my blog or my Facebook or whatever--that was BEFORE the book was out. NOW I can obviously link to a purchase link. It was so frustrating to link prior to release and have people ask where they can buy it and not be able to sell it to them yet. Also, at the beginning of the Sample Sunday I'd put a couple of tweets "Announcing" what I'd be doing "Check for #ConditionedResponse snippets every hour on the half hour" or some such tweet. I would also tweet that on Thurs Fri and Sat to advertise the upcoming sneak preview.

In case you're not catching on, the key to promotion is to pique interest, advance promotion focuses on building anticipation. "Live" promos focus on selling from "Buy now!" or "For a limited time only!" tweets. If you have a sale or event coming up, advance promo it -- for weeks if you can, once or twice a day, use a question format and ask if your readers have reserved their spot? marked their calendars, etc.

Don't be obnoxious. Don't tweet every hour EVERY day and especially not if you don't have a book on sale yet but advance promo is supposed to do the same thing for your book that "previews" do for movies in the theater or when you rent a BluRay/ DVD at home. You always think "Oh wow, I want to see that when it comes out" and if you see the preview enough times, you anticipate the release / opening of the movie and go to see it opening weekend. That's why the news people report opening weekend box office sales--that's the measure of whether or not the movie "succeeded" and if it didn't they sometimes actually release different previews before it goes to DVD sales.

Think about how other products are sold and how they are promoted. It's not advertising (that's static, a message of you broadcasting to others). It's all about publicity--other people talking about you when you're not even there!

I have a blog about this stuff in my other persona (and 3 different series where I review marketing strategies and how to adapt them to Indie Author sales). Message me here on Goodreads if you're interested in a link and I'll send you the blog for my other ID. I try to keep the two separate so my SciFi fans won't get turned off. The other ID writes Romantic Suspense and SciFi fans don't like romance novels as much as romance fans like SciFi - it's a marketing decision to keep them separate ;-)

It's a serious challenge to keep myself straight sometimes! haha

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 48: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 30 comments Oh yeah ,and I have kept the text file with the tweets I compose for these SampleSunday marathons but I try to do a different scene each time so it doesn't get boring to the readers. Especially when you have a long book (which I do!) it's good to switch up your tweets often. Anyone who actually reads your tweets will notice if you're just recycling the same 20 or 50 tweets every hour endlessly. They won't buy and might just unfollow

message 49: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 109 comments thanks for all this great info, Marjorie! my publicist/website designer was trying to get me to understand the tweeting thing (she said tweet every day)but I haven't managed it at all..I love the snippets thing! didn't join hootsuite but now I think I'll make the effort--my book came out in feb and I'm getting the second in the series ready for publication in August..I've been afraid to overdue the promotion thing on twitter and so mostly tweet about other stuff...

message 50: by Travis (new)

Travis Simmons | 42 comments Marjorie, I can't send you a message! LOL. I would like to read over your blog to help me out. You have been a GREAT help here. I have a notebook with all sorts of ideas for promotion. I am unsure which will be fruitful and what ones won't, but I am sure I can gleen more thoughts from your blogs!

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Conditioned Response (other topics)
The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding: How to Build a Product or Service Into a World-Class Brand (other topics)
We Are Not Alone: The Writer's Guide to Social Media (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jaye Frances (other topics)
Jon Etheredge (other topics)
Virginia Llorca (other topics)
More...