Nothing Daunted: The Unexpected Education of Two Society Girls in the West Nothing Daunted question

What did you learn?
Tuesdee Tuesdee May 21, 2012 01:24PM
What did you learn from the ladies experience?

I think my biggest takeaway, was to be truely thankful for what I do have. And to take advantage of every opportunity that is presented to me.

deleted member Mar 28, 2013 08:31PM   0 votes
These two women were amazing - to "give it all up" to live lives of their own choosing was very inspirational. I would like to read the raw letters that they sent home from their time out West - that would be a great follow up! :)

Almost all my relatives, both sides, were born & lived up in Elkhead. Ol Ferry was just a promoter & liar, he ended up stealing all the homesteaders property & burned out those who would not leave voluntarily. This book is just her relatives' & Ferry's telling, she should have looked up folks who lived thru that & talked with them. It was terrible to try to live there, winter @ 9 mos & soil terrible & hard to get wells dug. Shame on Ferry & his cohorts & the relative to benefit from his dasterly life. The book makes it sound like going to camp.

Impressed with how much people valued education and took it very seriously. The women are heroes ahead of their time.

I love that these two women had their own minds even when their parents and the social norms told them to do otherwise. I bet that their offspring had backbones and strong belief such has these two women. I wonder why school never taught us about these women. I could have done without the stupid stuff schools crammed in our heads.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Nothing Daunted: The Unexpected Education of Two Society Girls in the West (other topics)