YA LGBT Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > I Need Several Opinions, Please...

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by May (new)

May | 7 comments Hi, so I'm doing a story for one of my classes in school. It's a short story and I'm thinking of doing it on a boy named Caden who's been hiding a relationship with a boy from his parents. It doesn't really focus on the LGBT side but more on the pare-child relationship. I'm not sure if it's too controversial for school but my teacher told me that 'controversial' was good. I know that I'll get a lot of comments for it so what do you think I should do?

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo Ramsey (Jo_Ramsey) | 1016 comments The most common advice I see offered to writers from more experienced writers is: Write what you want to write. Write the story you believe in, that your heart is telling you to write.

Worry about the responses later. Especially if your teacher is encouraging you to go with it.

I don't know what kind of school you're in, or what country, but in most public high schools (and even middle schools, sometimes) here in the U.S., there are definitely kids who are in exactly that situation. So I don't think it would be too controversial. Especially since you say you're focusing more on the parent-child relationship than on LGBT content.

message 3: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 12969 comments If your teacher is okay with it, I would say go for it unless you are afraid of reaction you aren't ready to handle. Is there anyone you really worry about?

If you can write it and want to write it, you will do your best work on a topic you like and feel involved with. And it would be cool for this to be presented as just another story line among the rest. We need to get to where you can write a gay story or lesbian story or trans story without any extra consideration. Every little bit is good. So unless it really worries you I'd say go for it.

message 4: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 12969 comments This thread was duplicated - to avoid confusion I've closed this one and people can comment here : http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread