The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP Summer 2012 > 15.6 - “Hot Fun in the Summertime”

Comments (showing 1-50 of 69) (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited May 18, 2012 09:22PM) (new)

Sandy | 7242 comments Mod
15.6. “Hot Fun in the Summertime” – read a book about something you enjoy doing in the summer or with a picture of a fun summer activity on the cover. If your hot weather season is winter, you can call it “Hot Fun in the Wintertime” and substitute winter for summer. REQUIRED: If the activity is not obvious, please explain what it is and how your book relates to it. If you choose the cover option, post a picture of the cover.

message 2: by Sandy (last edited Jun 07, 2012 04:03AM) (new)

covers that work:

covers showing beaches, pools, boats, fresh fruit, swimming, hiking, cloud watching,sports events that are primarily summer.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

reserved

message 4: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1678 comments Would this cover count for a "summer activity"?

Going to the Beach House---

The Beach House by James Patterson

thanks

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Kathy G. wrote: "Would this cover count for a "summer activity"?

Going to the Beach House---

The Beach House by James Patterson

thanks"

Sure, going to the beach works

message 6: by Riya (new)

Riya (riyaishere) | 181 comments Wild  From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

Would this book work? I like to hike during the summer.

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Mariya wrote: "[bookcover:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail]

Would this book work? I like to hike during the summer."

sure.

message 8: by Sara ♥ (last edited May 20, 2012 02:15PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments No clue if either of these are good, but they're on my to-read shelf: Maine Squeeze by Catherine Clark (hanging out at the beach) I Was a Teenage Popsicle by Bev Katz Rosenbaum (floating in pools, etc.)

And here's a couple more:
The Boys Next Door  by Jennifer Echols (swimming!)
Thrill Ride by Rachel Hawthorne (amusement parks)

message 9: by Randi (new)

Randi (Randikins) | 256 comments I had a few I wanted to check on since they're things I personally enjoy doing in the summer, but aren't necessarily ONLY "summer things," if that makes sense! :)

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta going for walks
The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey playing in the water/going to the lake
There Is No Dog by Meg Rosoff cloud-watching

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Sureshot26) | 771 comments Looking for approval on this one for "going to the beach":

Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Randi wrote: "I had a few I wanted to check on since they're things I personally enjoy doing in the summer, but aren't necessarily ONLY "summer things," if that makes sense! :)

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta..."

all fine.

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Jessica wrote: "Looking for approval on this one for "going to the beach":

Remarkable Creatures  by Tracy Chevalier"

sure

message 13: by Randi (new)

Randi (Randikins) | 256 comments Sandy wrote: "Randi wrote: "I had a few I wanted to check on since they're things I personally enjoy doing in the summer, but aren't necessarily ONLY "summer things," if that makes sense! :)

[bookcover:On the ..."

Thanks, Sandy!

message 14: by Coco Kimura (new)

Coco Kimura | 66 comments Hello,

Would She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb work for this because there's water on the cover and I enjoy swimming?

Thanks!

message 15: by Deedee (last edited May 25, 2012 01:11PM) (new)

Deedee | 1182 comments going to the beach:

The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey The Last Time I Was Me by Cathy Lamb Dreams of Significant Girls by Cristina Garcia A Summer Affair by Elin Hilderbrand The Island by Elin Hilderbrand The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand Remarkable Creatures  by Tracy Chevalier Angels (Walsh Family, #3) by Marian Keyes

snorkling
Swimming with the Dead (An Underwater Investigation #1) by Kathy Brandt

swimming
Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding The Mournful Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery #1) by John J. Lamb

on vacation in italy
The Food of Love by Anthony Capella

And .... does anyone know how to get bookcovers to be side-by-side instead of one-per-line?

Thanks Sara ♥ ! Putting < p > before the bookscovers, plus a space between each bookcover --- it works! (see above)

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Monica S wrote: "Hello,

Would She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb work for this because there's water on the cover and I enjoy swimming?

Thanks!"

I'll take it.

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Most of my friends/family have gotten married in the summer. Could a wedding count, since I generally like going to those?

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Ms Anderson wrote: "Most of my friends/family have gotten married in the summer. Could a wedding count, since I generally like going to those?"

That's stretching it a little too far! I don't think that's going to work.

message 19: by Sara ♥ (last edited May 24, 2012 09:50PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Deedee wrote: "And .... does anyone know how to get bookcovers to be side-by-side instead of one-per-line? "

I asked the same thing in another thread. Surround them by any html code.

This is a test. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling None of these books will work unless you like to do witchcraft in the summertime...

Try the paragraph one. Just type (p) but with the Pac-Man/angle brackets before you start listing covers. That will insert an extra line (so you could delete the line above your covers if you wanted, but the covers are so much nicer that way! You HAVE to put a space between the covers though. I tried it both ways...

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Sandy wrote: "Ms Anderson wrote: "Most of my friends/family have gotten married in the summer. Could a wedding count, since I generally like going to those?"

That's stretching it a little too far! I don't thin..."

Okay, I'll keep looking. Two questions to help me narrow my search: does travel count? And does it have to be an outdoor activity?

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Ms Anderson wrote: "Two questions to help me narrow my search: does travel count? And does it have to be an outdoor activity? ."

Most of the teachers I know look at summer as a great time to travel - so yes! And, no, it doesn't have to be an outdoor activity necessarily, if it's a hot weather activity.

message 22: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments would this one count for going out on a boat or going to the beach?

Making Waves by Tawna Fenske

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Sassafrass wrote: "would this one count for going out on a boat or going to the beach?

Making Waves (Candy Apple) by Randi Reisfeld"

yes

message 24: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments thanks!

message 25: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 981 comments I'm not a summer person, but one of the few things I really enjoy about summer is going to the market and inhaling the scent of the summer fruit. So could I read something like A Promise Of Peaches by Valerie Volk?

message 26: by Fran (new)

Fran | 705 comments Sassafrass wrote: "would this one count for going out on a boat or going to the beach?

Making Waves (Candy Apple) by Randi Reisfeld"

Sass, I really liked this one!

message 27: by Fran (new)

Fran | 705 comments Ok, that is the wrong book that showed up, your book cover is the one I meant Sass- annoying GR bug!

message 28: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 753 comments Will this work? Swimming/dipping toes in the water?

Girls In Pants  The Third Summer Of The Sisterhood (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, #3) by Ann Brashares

Thanks!

message 29: by Sandy (new)

Jayme VA wrote: "Will this work? Swimming/dipping toes in the water?

[bookcover:Girls In Pants: The Third Summer Of The Sisterhood]

Thanks!"

Looks like a fun summer activity to me!

message 30: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 753 comments Thanks Sandy!

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (booksandbosox) | 109 comments does this work for driving/taking a road trip?
Perfect Escape by Jennifer Brown

message 32: by Sandy (last edited Jun 03, 2012 10:21AM) (new)

Sarah wrote: "does this work for driving/taking a road trip?
Perfect Escape by Jennifer Brown"

I'm sorry, but there's nothing about this cover or the GR description that suggests a fun summer road trip.

message 33: by Kari (last edited Jun 03, 2012 10:21AM) (new)

Kari For Swimming would Swimming Without a Net (Fred the Mermaid, #2) by MaryJanice Davidson work?

message 34: by Sandy (new)

Kari wrote: "For Swimming would Swimming Without a Net (Fred the Mermaid, #2) by MaryJanice Davidson work?"

yes

message 35: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (Readerann) | 353 comments I love watching the major golf tournaments, 3 of which are in the summer months. Will you accept this book?

The Majors by John Feinstein

message 36: by Sandy (new)

Ann A wrote: "I love watching the major golf tournaments, 3 of which are in the summer months. Will you accept this book?

The Majors by John Feinstein"

Sure, if this is primarily a summer activity. I grew up in Augusta, so the only one I ever was really aware of was the Masters!

message 37: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1708 comments I'm thinking about walking/hiking. Would this one work?

Walking the Trail

message 38: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (Readerann) | 353 comments Sandy wrote: "Ann A wrote: "I love watching the major golf tournaments, 3 of which are in the summer months. Will you accept this book?

The Majors by John Feinstein"

Sure, if this is primarily a summer activity. I ..."

Thanks, Sandy. The Masters is the only major NOT in a summer month (as you know, it's in April). The others are The U.S. Open in June, The British Open in July, and The PGA Championship in August. I'd rather watch golf than play it when it's too hot outside!

message 39: by Sandy (new)

Bea wrote: "I'm thinking about walking/hiking. Would this one work?

Walking the Trail"

If walking/hiking is one of your summer activities, then it works!

message 40: by Sandy (new)

Ann A wrote: "The Masters is the only major NOT in a summer month (as you know, it's in April). ..."

Yep - we always had that week off from school, so it was a memorable time.

message 41: by Bea (last edited Jun 04, 2012 06:00PM) (new)

Bea | 1708 comments Sandy wrote: "If walking/hiking is one of your summer activities, then it works!"

LOL! Well, Sandy, if I am being real, the only thing I do in the summer that I do not do in the winter is sit in my back yard.

But, I am more likely to take an exploratory short hike in the summer than at any other time of the year...in fact, we (hubby and I and two dogs) did so last month - tried out a short walk on a new trail.

message 42: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments OHOHOHOHOHOH! I KNOW! One of the major conventions on my schedule was this past weekend--just at the very beginning of the challenge! Can I use the Quantum Leap book I got signed by the actors for this, since "meeting awesome people" is one of my brand-new favorite activities, one I desperately want to indulge in more often, and one in which I can really only do during the summer since I don't have school?

message 43: by Sandy (new)

Ms Anderson wrote: "OHOHOHOHOHOH! I KNOW! One of the major conventions on my schedule was this past weekend--just at the very beginning of the challenge! Can I use the Quantum Leap book I got signed by the actors for ..."

Only if the quantum leap book is about meeting awesome people. the task requires that the book be about an activity you like in the summer or with a cover picture showing a fun summer activity, even if you personally don't like it.

So, it's as if you like to go to the beach in the summer - a book wouldn't work just because you bought it while you were at the beach.

message 44: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Hmm...technically Sam meets cool people (like a slightly younger version of Al), but that's a tenuous connection. I'm sorry, Sandy. I don't know why this one is tripping me up so badly. I'll go through my Kindle and find a book with a beach or island on the cover, since the cover option doesn't need to be something I like, just something summery.

message 45: by Ritika (new)

Ritika (RitikaP) | 100 comments The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

Does this work for sitting on the beach?

message 46: by Sandy (new)

Coralie wrote: "I'm not a summer person, but one of the few things I really enjoy about summer is going to the market and inhaling the scent of the summer fruit. So could I read something like [bookcover:A Promise..."

I am so sorry, Coralie - it looks like I missed this question. Yes, this makes sense - fresh fruit at the market is one of the things that's fun about summer, so the fruit on the cover works!

message 47: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (jensamaha) | 232 comments Does going to the lake count as summer fun?
To Be Sung Underwater by Tom McNeal

message 48: by Sandy (new)

Jenifer wrote: "Does going to the lake count as summer fun?
To Be Sung Underwater by Tom McNeal"

yes

message 49: by mstan (new)

mstan | 807 comments Our Only May Amelia  by Jennifer L. Holm - hanging around outdoors, barefoot - is this OK?

message 50: by Sandy (new)

mstan wrote: "Our Only May Amelia  by Jennifer L. Holm - hanging around outdoors, barefoot - is this OK?"

looks like summertime fun to me!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Beach House (other topics)
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (other topics)
Maine Squeeze (other topics)
I Was a Teenage Popsicle (other topics)
The Boys Next Door (other topics)
More...