The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP Summer 2012 > 10.5 - Caribbean Queen

Comments (showing 1-40 of 40) (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dlmrose | 8049 comments Mod
10.5 Caribbean Queen
July 5th is Caribbean Day- Read a book set in the Caribbean- any of these settings work: Anguilla, Antigua, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bonaire, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Puerto Rico, Saba, St. Barth's/St Bart’s, St. Eustatius, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos, Virgin Islands (BVI & US) and for the purposes of this task, Bermuda.
Required:If the setting is not clear in the book's description, please indicate the setting when you post

placeholder

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I am looking for some good recommendations for this task. Anybody that can give me some good ones would be greatly appreciated.

message 6: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited May 19, 2012 04:33PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1953 comments The Orchard House looks good. Does that work? Takes place in Dominica.

The Orchid House? that one works, looks good too

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Would I be able to read The Coming Storm for this task?

★Meghan★ wrote: "Would I be able to read The Coming Storm for this task?"

Tortuga off Haiti is mentioned in a description, that works

Cindy | 424 comments Would The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao work it goes back and forth between U.S. and Dominican?

Cindy wrote: "Would The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao work it goes back and forth between U.S. and Dominican?"

that works

message 12: by Dee (last edited May 20, 2012 02:22PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 4723 comments if anyone wants a mystery series that is good and set in the Caribbean - Jaden Skye has one...they all start out with Death by and there are 4 out right now

I'm going to throw them up in the ebook verification thread

book 1 - Death by Honeymoon - set in Barbados
Book 2 - Death by Divorce - Grenada
book 3 - Death by Marriage - St Thomas
book 4 - Death by Desire - St Bart's

Okayed in post 9 :)

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 1004 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Okayed in post 9 :)"

oh so sorry i missed that! thanks

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 969 comments I'm planning to read this one from Trinidad. It was shortlisted for the Orange Prize:

The White Woman on the Green Bicycle

Gayla Bassham (Sophronisba) | 659 comments Karen, that is a great book. I loved it.

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 969 comments I'm glad to hear that, Gayla. It was on my list this time, but I ended up using something else for the task.

Sandy | 7109 comments Mod
Gayla wrote: "Karen, that is a great book. I loved it."

I really liked it, too.

Suzanne | 207 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "I am looking for some good recommendations for this task. Anybody that can give me some good ones would be greatly appreciated."

I haven't read this one yet, but am planning to for this task. It's a new cozy mystery - Adrift on St. John.

Suzanne | 207 comments Sandy wrote: "Gayla wrote: "Karen, that is a great book. I loved it."

I really liked it, too."

Darn, just had to add this one to my TBR mountain!

Randi (Randikins) | 256 comments Planning on reading In the Time of the Butterflies for this one. :)

message 23: by Jennifer (last edited May 22, 2012 06:25PM) (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) | 324 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "I am looking for some good recommendations for this task. Anybody that can give me some good ones would be greatly appreciated."

I really enjoyed Pirate Latitudes when I read it a few years ago, and for this challenge, I'm planning on reading The Pirate's Daughter. Both are set in Jamaica.

I think Wide Sargasso Sea would also work. I didn't particularly like it, but others gave it high ratings. If I'm not mistaken, I think it's set in Dominica and Jamaica.

One of my book groups had an excellent discussion of In the Time of the Butterflies

Wide Sargasso Sea works

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments For romance fans:) Cherry Adair's Cutter Cay series - and the first two are set in the Carribean islands:
Undertow
Riptide

Coco Kimura | 66 comments Would Robinson Crusoe work since part of it is set in Trinidad?

Monica S wrote: "Would Robinson Crusoe work since part of it is set in Trinidad?"

yes, that works

Coco Kimura | 66 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Monica S wrote: "Would Robinson Crusoe work since part of it is set in Trinidad?"

yes, that works"

Great! Thanks :)

Sue T (SueTinge) | 1167 comments Does Wrecked work? It just says Caribbean in the description.

Sue T wrote: "Does Wrecked work? It just says Caribbean in the description."

generic "Caribbean" works

Sarah (booksandbosox) | 109 comments i'm assuming this one will work since it appears to be travels throughout the caribbean:
An Embarrassment of Mangoes: A Caribbean Interlude
but i thought i'd check, since i'm new to the challenge!

Sarah wrote: "i'm assuming this one will work since it appears to be travels throughout the caribbean:
but i thought i'd check, since i'm new to the challenge!"

yes, it works

Randi (Randikins) | 256 comments Sarah wrote: "i'm assuming this one will work since it appears to be travels throughout the caribbean:
but i thought i'd check, since i'm new to the challenge!"

I'm adding that to my list - that sounds good!

Lindsey (lindseypinzy) | 29 comments would Breath, Eyes, Memory work? its about growing up in haiti... but she DOES move to new york...

LindseyPinzy wrote: "would Breath, Eyes, Memory work? its about growing up in haiti... but she DOES move to new york..."

As long as the Caribbean setting plays a definite role in the book it works

message 38: by Sara ♥ (last edited May 30, 2012 11:59PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I'm probably going to take the easy way out and go with The Reef by Nora Roberts. Takes place in St. Kitts & Nevis (which I had to google... haha!).

message 39: by JenC. (last edited Aug 22, 2012 08:35AM) (new)

JenC. (jencornelius) | 553 comments I just finished Bodily Harm, which is set on what seems to be the fictitious island of St. Antoine - at least I think it's fictitious since I can't find any info on it. Can I use it for this task?

JenC. wrote: "I just finished Bodily Harm, which is set on what seems to be the fictitious island of St. Antoine - at least I think it's fictitious since I can't find any info on it. Can I use it for this task?"

yes, the description indicates the Caribbean

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Orchid House (other topics)
The Coming Storm (other topics)
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (other topics)
The White Woman on the Green Bicycle (other topics)
Adrift on St. John (other topics)
More...