Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion


1765 views
Katniss approving another hunger games at the end?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 214) (214 new)    post a comment »

Nedume I dont know, I just feel like Katniss fought so hard for the hunger games to be abolished, that when she approved it...it was like all she did was in vain?
Like, I understand it was to punish the sons and daughters of the ones who approved it, but I felt like she was becoming one of them when she did?


Casey I don't think she voted for more Hunger Games with the intent of actually going through with it. She just wanted to get Coin on her side. If she had voted against it, Coin would have ignored her vote and Katniss would have never had a chance to kill her.

As it is, Katniss voted yes and Haymitch understood her enough to vote yes with her. This made it possible for Katniss to be holding a weapon meant to kill Snow which she could use to kill Coin after people were aware that Coin was just like Snow.


Vonetta Casey is right! Katniss always has a feeling Coin was evil, and when Coin suggested to have another Hunger Games for capital children it confirmed what Katniss already knew. She never intended to go through with another games. She and Haymitch truly understood each other at that point so that when she voted for it, he followed her lead knowing they would try to prevent it in the end!


Haidi Yes, Casey and Vonetta are correct, that was the underlying meaning behind Katniss giving her vote for another hunger games. She never had any intention of letting it happen.


Geetanjali well yeah, katniss was already in doubt after snow plants the idea that Coin might be behind the parachute bombs but this totally confirms it. Yeah she did have to get Coin on her side and when Haymitch agrees, its more than obvious that she was up to something. Coin already thought that Katniss was not really on her side, so if she doesnt accept this too, how would she gain Coin's trust? So katniss had to say yes for her sake!


Shannon Maybe the point is that fighting wrong doesn't always make you right and that victory doesn't obliterate loss and bitterness. Katniss never pretends to be nice. Though her acquiescence to that particular plan surprised me too.


Rachel I really don't like that she approved it at the end... Obviously Coin had to go down, and the games wouldn't have actually happened, but it still put a knot in my stomach to hear her approve it!


Anna Maybe she realized what she'd done when she killed Coin.


Vixen Casey wrote: "I don't think she voted for more Hunger Games with the intent of actually going through with it. She just wanted to get Coin on her side. If she had voted against it, Coin would have ignored her vo..."

i agree


Laura I think that what Katniss pretended by voting yes to another Hunger Games was to make Coin think that she (Katniss) was on her side. If it were not like this, Coin would have distrusted Katniss and she wouldn't have had the opportinuty to kill her.


Anna-Cosette Casey wrote: "I don't think she voted for more Hunger Games with the intent of actually going through with it. She just wanted to get Coin on her side. If she had voted against it, Coin would have ignored her vo..."

I never looked at it that way... I agree with you that, that was how it was.


Pauline If I were in her place and suffered through TWO hunger games, and one was a quell, I would never let it keep going and torture innocent people.
Her reason was because it was for Prim, and I don't see how letting the Hunger Games continue avenged Prim in any way.


Chris Smith I'm sorry but why can't people read the first reply. It clearly explains why Katniss did what she did. She had to say yes to get access to a bow (her best weapon) to kill Coin. Coin was evil and had to go for there to be chance of a new society.


Moriah Swanson Nedume wrote: "I dont know, I just feel like Katniss fought so hard for the hunger games to be abolished, that when she approved it...it was like all she did was in vain?
Like, I understand it was to punish the s..."


That is exactly how I felt.
I honestly cried because I felt like, "after all you've been through and seen other children go through, would you honestly want to watch other children go through this? Even though considering they are the children of the capitol? Children should not have to pay for the sins of their elders anyways....


Haidi Yes, I agree with chris Smith, why can't people read the first few replies to the post, it does answer the reason why. Saying if was "for Prim" wasn't her real reason, she just said that for something to say.

It was so Coin would trust her, and then she had a better chance at stopping it all.


Moriah Swanson I disagree, Katniss is smart but she was way too tired and she had gone through so much, I really don't believe she was thinking all that clearly when she voted yes....in fact she probably wasn't thinking of a way to get Coin on her side, 'cause honestly Coin wouldn't have trusted her anyways......


Leticia I think she wasn't thinking clearly when she votes yes, but also the Capitol deserved it. They had been doing this same thing to everyone else in the other districts. And i do think that the i did it for prim excuse wasn't the full reason but it was enough. Katniss also wanted to be trusted by Coin.


Moriah Swanson But why would she care what Coin thought after all the crap she gave Coin, and all the crap Coin gave her?


Geetanjali Because she wanted coin on her side. Coin already had her doubts about katniss! she already sent peeta to kill her so if she didn't agree, if katniss wasnt on her side, who knows what coin would've done!


Kristi Nedume wrote: "I dont know, I just feel like Katniss fought so hard for the hunger games to be abolished, that when she approved it...it was like all she did was in vain?
Like, I understand it was to punish the s..."


I took it as a cover. She realized at that moment that things were not going to change with the new president. And since she was already considered a threat to her, if she gave any resistance it would have blown her chances of making the change. IE: shooting the new president.


Susana I think the moment she killed Coin, she showed she did not want another Hunger Games. That was the reason she killed her in my modest opinion.


Moriah Swanson I agree.


Kirby Casey wrote: "I don't think she voted for more Hunger Games with the intent of actually going through with it. She just wanted to get Coin on her side. If she had voted against it, Coin would have ignored her vo..."

I'm pretty sure that this is the correct answer.


Josey I think she wasn't thinking straight from Prim and all she wanted was some way to avenge her. on other terms she would never have approved it, it's not the kids' fault.


message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't care, made Peeta look even better!


Moriah Swanson Hahaha.... Go Team Peeta!!!!


message 27: by Abi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abi Triana Vonetta wrote: "Casey is right! Katniss always has a feeling Coin was evil, and when Coin suggested to have another Hunger Games for capital children it confirmed what Katniss already knew. She never intended to g..."

I agree


LaRinda As I remember it, she struggled with the decision and then voted for it because she was angry and did want it at the time. She was a bit suspicious of Coin yes, But didn't really know for sure about her until their journey through the Capital. It was then that she really began putting the pieces together. She wasn't even entirely certain until reflecting on her last conversation with Snow.


message 29: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam I was disturbed by this aspect of Katniss's character too, all of our belief in her 'natural justice' is challenged in her approval of the continued barbarism of more H/G.
Reading through this thread has helped me to consider some relevant factors.
1/ K realises Coin is just as despotic as Snow. Her 'need' to keep the games running is a control tactic. 'Bread and circuses'.
2/ Coin makes it clear, the decision is the tribute's BUT individuals saying 'yes' will be protected.From what? the public. In other words, she will protect their need for revenge...there isn't a public appetite for more bloodshed.Just Coin's personal one.
3/Coin is testing loyalty to HER vision, from K and Haymitch sees the danger too.
4/ K needs to convince Coin she is loyal to Coin's vision, she still needs to convince her she is vengeful and ready to kill Snow.
5/H gets the 'Prim' code, K gives Coin the white rose, (this is an act of treachery) the rose enables Coin to believe in K but mirrors the treachery of Snow/ the rose as gift and of K's knowledge that Coin is now the new Snow.The character's roles have changed. K will kill Coin, for Prim. Coin has proved her likeness to Snow with the parachutes/bombs and now in her desire to continue with the H/G.
'nothing ever changes'
The rose is important as a symbol of truth/beauty amid lies/corruption. Coin awards the symbol to Snow as directed by K, Snow realises K believes him.

The 'yes' is a lie. A necessary one to enable K to carry out the rest of her mission..not against the capital, not even against Snow but against tyrannical rule.

A lie to cover a truth, to protect the tributes from Coin in the event of a 'no' vote. A disguise without a costume, a way to open the way to 'the people,'where there still remains hope.


message 30: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz I think that they shouldn't have another hunger games, but I understand that since they killed Prim and made Katniss go in 2 hunger games, so if I were Katniss I would have said yes too.


message 31: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam If you find your self saying 'yes' for revenge, you've lost the whole point.

The trick for Katniss was to say 'yes' to get the end result that was always intended.(a removal of dictatorship) NOT to keep a cyclical bloodthirsty regime in power forever.

Otherwise her role in the whole story is undermined. She's just a sad, used nobody who sacrifices everyone to a useless, unchanging cause.

Her 'yes' is not for revenge, it's for change.


Idalis I think Katniss said 'yes' because she wanted revenge and also because she was mad and sad about the death of her little sister Primrose.


message 33: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam So what was the point of Prim's, Finnick's and all the loss if the H/G continue? When she says 'I'm doing it for Prim'. How on earth would Prim benefit from the continued meaningless slaughter that took everything from those who have the least to give?
Revenge is a primal emotion: is Kat really that shallow? Do we believe that she is?

The author has asked us to judge Kat's motIves. Coin agrees with you though.


Idalis There was no point to their death at all. None of them deserved to die the way they did. And the only thing that she really tried to do for prim was survive.


Ammabelle Nedume wrote: "I dont know, I just feel like Katniss fought so hard for the hunger games to be abolished, that when she approved it...it was like all she did was in vain?
Like, I understand it was to punish the s..."


I agree. That was very out of character for Katniss. I was very disappointed in her when I read that. I don't think she would want revenge.


Helen Stevens Ammabelle wrote: "I agree. That was very out of character for Katniss. I was very disappointed in her when I read that. I don't think she would want revenge.
."


She didn't want revenge - as other posters have already said - it was part of the plan to overthrow Coin. When she approved the hunger games SHE WAS LYING!! Read Sam's post above, she explains it all very clearly so I won't repeat what she said.


Idalis I'm still confused


Emily I don't agree with her choice to have more Hunger Games. It made me so angry!!!!! She worked so hard to survive them and fight against the government(partially because of them) but when given the choice to get rid of Hunger Games, she says to keep them!

I think she was caught up in the moment. I think she should of thought it over more.

She did it for revenge and because of her anger.


Idalis She didn't decide to keep the games though. Shejust wanted all the kids who live in the capital to compete in one last hunger games that's all.


message 40: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam All kids are Prim and Rue. Prim did not want revenge in the Capital's kids and neither would Kat. In fact she makes the very point when she askes herself if it was the same last time, a group of people in a room deciding to sacrifice children behind closed doors. One last massacre, for the sake of getting even with the capital? Not a personality trait I would attribute to Kat. Not even Gale would see the merit in such a move!


message 41: by Roan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roan Yes, Katniss voted yes just to prove that she's in Coin's side. But, I have to admit that I was so angry. Poor Capitol children.


Robert Lent If she had voted no, she would not been free to act against Coin. Coin was every but as evil as was Snow. He yes vote was a ruse.


Tania oh yer that was just babaric after all she had been through ..it was a little heartless


Idalis Katniss said that she says yes for Prim and for no other reason


Brittany Oldroyd I was a little annoyed. I think it was a heartless think to do, so vengeful.


Idalis I don't think she cared though cuz she was not expecting prim to die.


message 47: by Erica (last edited Aug 02, 2012 05:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erica Hunger Games is one of the most unique books I've read in that there's no clean cut line between the good guys and bad guys. Even with flawed protagonists and sympathetic villains, there's always the right and wrong side. Then the good triumphs over the bad, the villain is crushed by his own prideful mistake, and the good guys celebrate despite a few casulties.
But The Hunger Games-especially Mockingjay-is different. Forced killing aside, you can't always call Katniss the "good guy". The only pure good guys are Peeta and Prim.
That's what makes Hunger Games different from so many dystopians popping up recently. Not just good versus evil, it's humanity versus senseless cruelty, war versus charity. I think Suzanne Collins wrote it so you'd have to question everything.
By the way, anybody else notice how the innocents (Prim, Peeta) are all blonde and the harder fighters (Katniss, Gale)are dark? But then there's Rue...I've always thought Suzanne Collins made her black so she wouldn't be exactly like Prim.


Elizabeth i thought it was nice that she did it for prim but thats no way to bring her back. also all those children in the capitol were like katniss; the actions of their parents it wasnt their fault or their decision. i understand the capitol needs tio be punished but they could of gone about it in a different way and i know the killing of their children is a big punishment if not big enough for what they did but the hunger games punishes the kids more than anything and what did the kids do? they didnt really have a say did they?


Elizabeth Erica wrote: "Hunger Games is one of the most................................................

By the way, anybody else notice how the innocents (Prim, Peeta) are all blonde and the harder fighters (Katniss, Gale)are dark? But then there's Rue...I've always thought Suzanne Collins made her black so she wouldn't be exactly like Prim.


i'm sorry but i don't think hair colour has anything to do with it. how could it ? the colour of your hair doesn't have anything to do with your personality what you feel and how you behave.



Elizabeth Vonetta wrote: "Casey is right! Katniss always has a feeling Coin was evil, and when Coin suggested to have another Hunger Games for capital children it confirmed what Katniss already knew. She never intended to g..."

ahhh i never thought of it in that way but what you said kind of does make sense.


« previous 1 3 4 5
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

Mockingjay (other topics)