The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
SUMMER CHALLENGE 2012: WIND/AIR > Summer Challenge 2012: Tasks

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 05, 2012 07:40AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (PassionforthePage) | 6857 comments Mod
5 point tasks

5.1 -- Let the Games Begin
Help Thread
In honor of the 2012 Summer Olympics, read a book set in London OR a book with one of the following words in the title/subtitle: Olympic, summer, games, champion, gold, silver, bronze, medal. Plurals and possessives (and the singular "game") will work, but no other variations.

5.2 -- Pack Your Bags
Help Thread
Summer is peak travel season. Read a book with travel listed as a genre on its main GRs page OR a book with a suitcase or backpack on its cover. Required: If using the cover option, you must include the cover when you post.

5.3 -- Dust in the Wind
Help Thread
One of my favorite songs is Dust in the Wind by Kansas. According to Kerry Livegren, the song was inspired by a book of Native American poetry he was reading at the time. Read a book that features a Native American character, Native American culture, or Native American artifacts. These lists might help: Native American Fiction, Best Native American Romance, Native American Detectives, Native American Historical Fiction. As always, please remember that not every book on a Listopia list will work. You must use the task and challenge requirements as well as your judgment to determine if a book is appropriate for the task.

5.4 -- Chemical Combo
Help Thread
Air is made up of a mixture of gases, mainly nitrogen gas (N2) followed by oxygen (O2). Read a book that has two Ns and two Os (N2/O2) in the title, subtitle, and/or in the author's full name. Examples: Gone, Baby, Gone, Night Shadow by Nora Roberts, Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

5.5 -- Diamond Jubilee
Help Thread
The celebration marking the 60th anniversary of the accession of Queen Elizabeth II to the throne will be held this summer. Read a book set in one or more of the thirty-two countries headed by Queen Elizabeth II at some point during her 60 years on the throne. Required: If the setting is not obvious from the GRs description, you must include the setting when you post.

5.6 -- Blowin' in the Wind
Help Thread
Read a book with a picture of something that can be carried by the wind on its cover. Examples:

Behemoth (Leviathan, #2) by Scott Westerfeld (dirigible), Enduring Love by Ian McEwan (hot air balloon), Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg (balloons), Before I Die by Jenny Downham (dandelion seeds), Beaches by Iris Rainer Dart (sand), The Twin by Gerbrand Bakker (clouds), Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins (flying bird), Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling (some other flying animal or creature with wings)

Required: You must include the cover AND point out which object can be carried by the wind when you post.

5.7 -- SRC Scavenger Hunt
Help Thread
Did you know that the SRC has a Scavenger Hunt game going? Check out the thread and choose a book mentioned in the Scavenger Hunt thread to read for this task. While you're there, add your own book hunting challenge. Examples: The Other Boleyn Girl (message #3); The Yiddish Policemen's Union (message #20); Uglies (message #29) Required: Include the message number that you found your book in when you post. Note: Standard SRC page number rules apply.

5.8 -- Summer Lovin'
Help Thread
Read a book from one of the following lists of love stories.
Crazy Love
Dramatic Love Stories
"Love" on The Guardian's "1000 Novels Everyone Must Read" List
Required: State which list the book can be found on when you post.

5.9 -- Summer Readers
Help Thread
For this task, you must find a SRC member that joined Goodreads (not the SRC) in June, July, or August (of any year) and read a book that appears on one of their bookshelves (any bookshelf). You'll find the month a member joined GRs on their profile page under activity. You cannot use your own shelves. Required: You must provide a link to the member's profile page when you post.

5.10 -- Up, Up, and Away
Help Thread
Read a book with the letters "AIR" found intact within a word in the title or subtitle. Examples: The Mermaid Chair, Dairy Queen, The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America, Girl With Curious Hair

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited May 18, 2012 09:24PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 9639 comments Mod
10 point tasks

10.1 Skip to My Lou
Help Thread
Read a book by an author whose consecutive initials (as they appear in their Goodreads name) skip a consecutive letter in the alphabet. Hyphenated names count as the letter of the first hyphenated name.
Examples: Agatha Christie (ABC), Jen Lancaster (JKL) Irmgard Keun (IJK), Arthur Conan Doyle (ABC)

10.2 Eat an Oreo Day
Help Thread
June 19th is Eat an Oreo Day. Read a book with a word in the title or subtitle with one letter “sandwiched” between two of the same letters- “celebrate” E-L-E, “latitude” T-I-T, “obsidian” I-D-I
Required:Please identify the word when you post

10.3 What's Your Exit?
Help Thread
Be Nice to Jersey week (my home state) is the first week in July. Read a book set in New Jersey for a significant portion of the book or written by a New Jersey author (by birth or residence)
These lists may help
Gitoutahe' The Garden State in Fact and Fiction
New Jersey Sleuths
New Jersey Authors

Required: If the NJ setting or the author's NJ status is not referenced in the GR book description/author's bio or the wiki page, please provide a source or explanation

10.4 Air Signs
Help Thread
Read a book by an author who was born under an Air sign. For the purposes of this task, we will use the following dates: Gemini (May 21-June 20), Libra (September 23-October 22), or Aquarius (January 20 - February 18).
REQUIRED: Provide the author's birthdate when posting.

If Goodreads does not list the author's birthdate, you must provide a link to that information for verification in order to get credit for this task.

These lists may help: Author Birthdays, Famous Authors' Birthdays

10.5 Caribbean Queen
Help Thread
July 5th is Caribbean Day- Read a book set in the Caribbean- any of these settings work: Anguilla, Antigua, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bonaire, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Puerto Rico, Saba, St. Barth's/St Bart’s, St. Eustatius, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos, Virgin Islands (BVI & US) and for the purposes of this task, Bermuda.
Required:If the setting is not clear in the book's description, please indicate the setting when you post

10.6 Contraction Action
Help Thread
A contraction is a shortened form of one or two words (one of which is usually a verb). In a contraction, an apostrophe takes the place of the missing letter or letters. Some contractions are: I'm (I am), can't (cannot), how's (how is), and Ma'am (Madam).

Read a book with a contraction in the title or subtitle. For this task, the target word must contain an apostrophe. All About Contractions

10.7 A Reason to Celebrate
Help thread
Summer is the best time to celebrate POETS Day-- No, not "poet", but "Push Off Early, Tomorrow's Saturday" a variation of TGIF "Thank Goodness it's Friday". Read a book with a day of the week in the title or subtitle OR ignore the acronym and read a book of poetry or a novel in verse.

10.8 No Boredom Zone
Help Thread
July is Anti-Boredom month- Read a non-fiction book about any subject or activity that would chase boredom away- books about reading, writing, travel, hobbies, etc would work.

10.9 Recycled Group Reads-
Help Thread
June is Recycling Month- Read a book that was nominated for or won as a past Group Read selection in one of these polls:

Spring 2012 Anthology
Spring 2012 YA Dystopian Fiction
Spring 2012 Published in Twenty-tens
Winter 2011 Mystery with Female Protagonist
Winter 2011 Steampunk
Winter 2011 African American Lit
Fall 2011 Mysteries That Make You Laugh
Fall 2011 Magical Realism
Fall 2011 Modern Lit
Summer 2011 Paranormal Romance
Summer 2011 Unconventional Woman Historical Fiction
Summer 2011 Inspirational/Christian Fiction

Required: Please indicate which season and category poll was the source of your choice

10.10 Air Conditioned Cool
Help Thread
Air Conditioning Appreciation Week is the 3rd week in August- Cool off and read a book set in winter OR with snow or ice (any form- ice cubes, ice skating rink, etc) on the cover.
Required: If it is not obvious, explain/point out the winter setting or snow/ice and include a link to the cover if electing that option

message 3: by Sandy (last edited May 27, 2012 05:44AM) (new)

Sandy | 8369 comments Mod
15 point tasks

15.1. The Colors of Summer
Help Thread
A. “Summertime Blues” – read a book with a predominately (at least 50%) blue cover, or with the word “blue” in the title or author’s name. For the title option, plurals, possessives and compound words can be used. REQUIRED: For the cover option, post a link to the cover.
AND
B. “The Green Leaves of Summer” - read a book with a predominately (at least 50%) green cover, or with the word “green” in the title or author’s name. For the title option, plurals, possessives and compound words can be used. REQUIRED: For the cover option, post a link to the cover.

15.2. “Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer”
Help Thread
Read two books with different words in their titles that rhyme with each other. If you’re not sure of your rhyme, check here - WikiRhymer. The words you use must be “pure rhymes.” If you’re looking for groups of words that rhyme, go to the bottom of the page and click on “largest rhyme sets” – that will show you the words with the largest group of rhyming matches. If you're trying to find a rhyme for a specific word, you can put in the word itself to find rhymes for it.
Examples: Beat the Reaper and Heat Wave (Beat and Heat); Zoo Station and The Man Who Made Lists: Love, Death, Madness, and the Creation of Roget's Thesaurus (Station and Creation)

15.3. “Summer Romance”
Help Thread
Option 1:
A. “The Boys of Summer” – read a book with a noun meaning a male person in the title/subtitle – man, boy, gentleman, etc. A noun will also work if it’s male by normal usage – husband, brother, nephew, etc. AND
B. “Girls in Their Summer Clothes” – read a book with a noun meaning a female person in the title/subtitle – woman, girl, lady, etc. A noun will also work if it’s female by normal usage – wife, sister, niece, etc.

OR
Option 2: Read one book with both a male and female noun in the title/subtitle.
Examples: Dropped Names: Famous Men and Women As I Knew Them; The Sisters Brothers

For purposes of this task, common nouns only -no proper names, like "Tom" or "Susie." If the word itself is normally used as a common noun, it will work even if it is used as a proper noun in the context of the book title. For example, Sister Carrie would work, since "sister" is a common, gender specific noun, altho used as part of a name in the title of this book.

Plural and possessive forms of the nouns are fine.

15.4. Summer Reading
Help Thread
Option 1
A. "Summer Wind" - read a book with the letters "W I N D" in the title and/or subtitle, in any order;
AND
B. "Summertime" - read a book with the author's initials found in the letters of "Summertime." The initials can be in any order and need not be consecutive.

OR
Option 2:
Read ONE book that satisfies both A and B from option 1.

15.5. “Summer in the City”
Help Thread
Read a book set in a city. For purposes of this task, a “city” will be defined as one with a population of at least 100,000 people. REQUIRED: if your setting does not fall within the obvious city category (for example, New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, etc.), please include the population of the city in your post.

15.6. “Hot Fun in the Summertime”
Help Thread
Read a book about something you enjoy doing in the summer or with a picture of a fun summer activity on the cover. If your hot weather season is winter, you can call it “Hot Fun in the Wintertime” and substitute winter for summer. REQUIRED: If the activity is not obvious, please explain what it is and how your book relates to it. If you choose the cover option, post a picture of the cover.

15.7. “The First Day of Summer”
Help Thread
Read the first book in a series. The book must be identified as a series on GR, and must have at least three books in the series that have been published or will be published by the end of the challenge.

15.8. “Summer of 69”
Help Thread
Read a book featuring a musician or musical group.

15.9. “Summer Nights”
Help Thread
Read a book set in the 1950s or first published in the 1950’s.

15.10. ”Feel Good Hit of the Summer"
Help Thread
Sit back, relax, and read a book that makes you feel good.

message 4: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 12, 2012 08:36AM) (new)

20 point tasks

20.1 - Most Improved - Stesse's task: Fifty Shades of Whoa!
Help Thread
I had been hearing about this book all spring but since so many of the reviews were pretty vicious, I held off until I found a used copy (because getting it out of the library would have taken 10 years!). And I have to admit, I’m glad I read it. The writing isn’t great, but it’s a fun, fast, easy read that goes down a genre that I’ve never explored. The best part is that a couple of friends (and friends of friends) have been discussing it online. Connecting with these ladies (many of whom I’m sure I’ll never meet in person) has been a riot!

Don’t worry, I won’t make you read the book if you don’t want to… but for this task, pick one of these four options:

(1) Fifty/fifty: reviews on this book are on both sides of the spectrum: seems like people either love it or hate it – with a passion! Read one of the Fifty Shades books: Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker, or Fifty Shades Freed. Optional – write a review on it.

(2) Shades: Read a genre that you haven’t really explored before; one that’s new to you or one that you’d like to know more about. Take a chance and try something new. For example, if you typically read romances, try a science fiction. Or if you prefer mysteries, explore a paranormal book.
Required: Please state the new-to-you genre when you post

(3) Of: There are some lines in the books that are starting to show up around the net… it’s interesting to suddenly see someone end an email with “Laters, baby” or wear a t-shirt that says “You. Are. Mine.” Read a book with one of the following words in the title (must match exactly, must be a stand alone word): later, laters, baby, you, are, mine.

(4) Grey: read a book with one of the following colors in the title or subtitle: white, gray (or grey), or black. (My inner goddess' rainbow only has shades of gray...) Words must match exactly & must be a stand alone word.

Required: Please state the option you chose

20.2 - Rookie on Top - Nicola's task: School's Out For Summer
Help Thread
Summer is a time for sunshine and outdoor activities. It is a time for vacations and lazy days. Most significantly, it is when “School’s out for summer”! As a teacher, and a mom, Alice Cooper’s “School’s Out” is a popular song in both my household and workplace during this season.

Based on these lyrics, choose one book for one of the options below.

Option 1: School's out for summer
Read a book that takes place during the summer, or while the main character is on vacation. Alternatively read a book that has a beach or a summer scene on the cover.

Option 2: School's out forever
Read a book in which the main characters have recently graduated from school (high school or university), or are beginning a new career or job and the job is a significant aspect of the story. Non-fiction job search/interview books would also work for this option
Required- Please explain how your book choice works if it is not clear in the Goodreads description.

Option 3: School's been blown to pieces
Read a book in which a bomb or explosion of some type is a significant aspect. Alternatively, read a book in which there is an explosion or bomb on the cover, i.e. object exploding, flashes of light, shrapnel, mushroom clouds, etc.
Three Seconds (Grens & Sundkvist #5) by Anders Roslund The Highwayman (Wicked Games, #1) (Harlequin Nocturne, #68) by Michele Hauf
These lists may help Nuclear Apocalypse, Explosions or Non-explosions
Required- Please explain how your book choice works if it is not clear in the Goodreads description.

Option 4: No more pencils
No more books
No more teacher's dirty looks

Read a book that is about a teacher, or someone who works in an educational field. Alternatively, read a book which takes place at a boarding school, or is about students who attend a boarding school.

REQUIRED: Post which option you chose.
REQUIRED: If you choose a cover option, please post the cover.

20.3 Best Review- Anne (booklady)'s task: Reading...by the Numbers
Help Thread
This is a Tribute to my Mom - she was a Teacher all her life. When I was little, Mama suggested hobbies to me, my sister, and brother. I loved knitting, reading, and playing Barbies. And I did really like to paint by the numbers pretty well. So for this task, we will read by the numbers by rolling the die to see what you will read.

Die Roller Please set the die to 1

1.'Rithmetic -

A. Read a book with a numeral (1, 2, 3...) on the cover or in the book's main title (subtitles and series titles are excluded). For the purpose of this task the number cannot be 0, 2nd, Third, Once, etc., and not spelled out (four, eighteen, etc.)
OR
B. Subtract from your Goodreads TBR Shelf by reading either the oldest book on your shelf or the last book you added before June 1, 2012.
Required: Post the date you added your selection to your TBR shelf.

2. Repeat Spring: If you are like me and didn't finish The Spring Challenge here's your chance to do so. Pick a 5 Point, 10 Point, or a 15 Point task you did not complete and finish one last task. For those who finished the Spring Challenge, please pick any 20 Point task and repeat it.
Required: Post the task and any required information for that task.

3. Reading - Read a book from any of my Favorite Genres:

Classics, Thrillers, Mystery, Literary Fiction

Required: The genre must appear on your selection's Goodreads main book page.
Here is Literary Fiction Shelf to help you.

4. 'Writing - Many Authors had jobs that required a lot of writing such as reporters and lawyers before becoming a full time writer.

A. Read a book by an author who worked as a reporter or lawyer. Or read a book in which a prominent character is a reporter or lawyer. Some Examples: Murder at The Washington Tribune, Hell Gate, Michael Connelly, Linda Fairstein, Jonathon King, David Baldacci, Scott Turow, John Grisham. Ernest Hemingway, John Dos Passos, Ford Madox Ford and other "Lost Generation" Authors did work for news services during their Paris years and WWII.
OR
B. Read a book with paper, computer, ink, pen, letter or postcard, napkin, a post-it note, Lady Justice, or Scales on the Cover. Required: Post Cover

5. Olympic Rings: Read a book that is set in the Ring you pick.

Blue: Europe
Yellow: Asia
Black: Africa
Green: Oceania
Red: the Americas (North and South)

6. Lucky Devil! You get to choose any of the 5 Options!

Required: Please state your die roll and the option chosen when you post

20.4 - Author! Author! - Jecca's task: Let’s Go Camping
Help Thread
When I think of summer, I think of my family’s annual camping to trip to Hermit Island. When I think of SRC, I think of finding new good reads by new authors. So for my very first task creation I am blending the two together.

Roll a die and read the book that corresponds with your number.

For this task you must read a new to you author.

**Please note each option has a required element to add when you post

Die Roller Please set to 1

1. S’mores – When I go camping s’mores are served every night. But s’more is not really a word at least not according to Word; it gives you the red squiggly line when you type it. Read a book that has a word in the title, subtitle, or series name that gives you a red squiggly. It cannot be a person’s name or a place. Examples: Mockingjay, Skinwalker, Darkfever or words like ain’t and wanna, Wanna Get Lucky?.
Required: Please identify the "squiggly" word

2. Hermit Island – Is an island located in Maine, for this option read a book whose author is from or is living in Maine, or a book that is set in Maine.
Required: Please include in your post the place in Maine the author is from or where book takes place.

3. Campfire – some people tell ghost stories around the campfire, my sister and I talk books. Read a “talked” about book. Examples: Fifty Shades of Grey and The Hunger Gamesare current “talked” about books (on TV, in magazines, and highly reviewed). Book club recommended reads would work, as would, books someone talks to you about and recommends and Goodreads recommendations
Required: Please include in you post where the book was “talked” about.

4. Bump-in-the-night – So, I am normally a heavy sleeper that is until we go camping and every little sound makes me jump. Read a book that makes you jump in alarm. You don't have to literally "jump;" books that are listed as horror, zombie or sound like they will be creepy via their description or reviews are fine.
Required: Please include in your post why it made you jump.

5. Beach – Most of our time camping is spent on the beach, but it is not just for swimming and sun bathing. It’s about exploring and finding new things. Read a book where someone finds something or someone. It can be something that they lost or something new; a new love, friend, themselves, an item, or conclusion.
Required: Please include what was found in your post.

6. The family – there is 10 of us that go camping together, read a book that has ten in the title or subtitle. Ten can be spelled out or numerical, or it can be part of another word in which "ten" is found intact, ex. "often"
Required: Please identify how you used "ten" when you post

Required: Please state the number you rolled when you post and that the author is new to you.

20.5 - Bigger Is Better - Wendy UK's task: Let's Talk About the Weather
Help Thread
A feature of summer in Britain is unsettled weather - I think that's why we talk about it so much! We plan in the hope that the weather will be warm, dry and sunny - but often it's not. So the Queen has just celebrated her Diamond Jubilee with a river pageant - in the rain, and a carriage procession - in the rain! Street parties and picnics have been cancelled, or endured in the rain.

Share in our British Summer by reading a book with a rainy picture on the cover, OR the word RAIN in the title or subtitle series titles are excluded Or as an alternative - in acknowledgement of the Jubilee - a book with the homophone REIGN in the title or subtitle, series titles are excluded

Rains, rained, rainy, raining or reigns, reigned reigning may also be used, but not compound words such as rainbow or raincoat.

And hopefully the weather here will turn hot and sunny soon!

message 5: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 06, 2012 07:01AM) (new)

20.6 - Seasoned Reader-Michelle WI's task: My Spring Favorites into Your Summer Read
Help Thread
It has been said before, but it cannot be said enough… the SRC is a great way to find new authors, books and genres! I have found some of my favorite books from the SRC and my Goodreads friends! I like to think that some people have found some great books through my reads as well. If not, then here’s your chance! The following descriptions are based on 6 of my personal favorite books from the Spring Challenge (note: I’m not saying these are all five star books or changed my life, but I really enjoyed them for various reasons.)

Die Roller Please set to 1

Roll the die and read one book based on the number rolled. For each option, you may chose to read the named book OR any other book by that author OR a book with that author's initials (in any order) OR a book with the genre I have listed in parenthesis behind the book (genre MUST appear on the main page of your chosen book) .

1. Bossypants by Tina Fey (humor genre)

2. A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz (fairy tale genre)

3. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs(fantasy genre)

4. Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (thriller genre)

5. The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz (mystery genre)

6. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (historical fiction genre)

Required: Please state your die roll and the option (book, book by author, initials, genre) when you post

20.7 Shorter is Sweeter- Isabell's task: In homage to MZB
Help Thread
My last task was centered around my favorite author Tamora Pierce. Another author whose work I enjoy is Marion Zimmer Bradley (MZB). For this task you will read a book in homage to MZB by choosing one of the following options:

1. Death. MZB died in 1999. Read a book written by an author who died since January 1, 1990.

Required: Please provide verifiable information about the author's date of death if the date is not listed on the author's entry on GR.

2. Award. In 2000 MZB was posthumously awarded the World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement. Read a book by a winner of this award. A list of the award winners can be found here: World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement. (Please note that only the category of Life Achievement counts for this task, not any of the other categories of the World Fantasy Award.)

3. Series. Both her Darkover and Avalon series were continued after her death. Diana L. Paxson continued the Avalon series. Deborah J. Ross wrote further books in the Darkover series. Read a book by Marion Zimmer Bradley herself OR by Diana L. Paxson OR by Deborah J. Ross. Pen names of those authors count for this task, so books by Deborah Wheeler work as well.

Required: Please identify the option when you post

20.8 - It's My Birthday - Putterpal's task: Have Your Cake And Eat It Too!
Help Thread
One of the best parts of having a birthday is the cake. Help me choose which kind of cake I should have for my birthday this year.

For this task you will read a book from ONE of the following options:

1) Chocolate Cake- Read a romance. Romance must be listed as a genre on the main page.

2) Red Velvet Cake- Read a book that is set in the South. For this task the Southern States will be defined as TX, OK, AR, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL, SC, NC, VA, KY, TN.

3) Marble Cake- Read a multicultural book, multicultural being defined as a relationship between two different cultures. Ex. Ties That Bind, Ties That Break, The Lions of Little Rock, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
This list might help Best Recent Multi-Cultural YA
Keep in mind that not all books on the list may qualify for the task.
Required: Please explain the multicultural aspect of the book if it is not evident in the Goodreads description

4) Banana Cake- Read a humorous book. Humor must be listed as a genre on the main book page. These lists may inspire:
DCPL's Teen Humor
YA Only Best Funny Books on Serious Subjects
Books That Make You Laugh

5) Angel Food Cake- Read a book where the Death of someone is an integral part of the story. Ex. Behind You, A Monster Calls, The Sky Is Everywhere, The Lovely Bones
Required: Please explain how a death is an integral part of the book if it is not evident in the Goodreads description

6) White Cake- Read a book where the TITLE appears in white letters on the cover.
Required: You must post a picture of the cover.

REQUIRED- Tell us which kind of cake you chose.

20.9 - Lucky Me!- mstan's task: Please Be Patient...
Help Thread
This task requires you to be a more more patient with regard to your planning process for the SRC.

With reference to any one book you have read and claimed points for in this SRC (Summer 2012), henceforth referred to as Book X, choose your book (no re-reads) for this task. Read a book you discover in Book X. The author's work MUST be mentioned in the book you have already read and claimed points for. Some options for how you can do this:

1. The book can be mentioned within Book X itself, e.g. if I read for, say, task 25.4, Ernest Hemingway's A Moveable Feast, I can choose that as Book X. That book mentions The Great Gatsby, so I can use that Fitzgerald book for this task.

2. The book can be mentioned anywhere on the cover (front or back) of Book X e.g. another author of "So-and-so Title" is sometimes quoted, in which case you can read "So-and-so Title" for this task. If a series title is mentioned any book from the series would work

3. The book can be mentioned either before or after the main portion of Book X. For example, for e-books, there is sometimes a section stating other works readers enjoyed at the end of the book; for physical books, the publisher may also include synopses or sample chapters of other books at the end. Books mentioned in promotional content at the beginning or end of Book X; in its foreword or acknowledgements; in a list of the author's previous works; in a bibliography; or in the Recommended Reading section may also be used.

**Please note that the title of the book or series title will have to be quoted in Book X, and not just the author's name.

Required: Please state which option you have chosen, explain how the title for your chosen book appears within Book X, AND state the number of the task you have already claimed points for using Book X.

20.10 Group Reads
Read one of the Group Reads selections, and make at least one post in the discussion thread for the book.

For the category "Books to read at the Beach": I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
I've Got Your Number Discussion Thread

For the category "14th Century Historical Fiction": The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
The Name of the Rose Discussion Thread

For the category "Sports Romance": Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally
Catching Jordan Discussion Thread

message 6: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 05, 2012 05:11AM) (new)

25 point tasks

25.1 Donna Jo's task: I'm Solidly Behind You
Help Thread
Choose two different options.

A. Books can be very solid items. Read a big book--at least 500 pages. (Remember you can claim a Big Book ticket) State the number of pages when you post

B. Read a book with a solid color cover. The only exception is the lettering for author and title.

Room by Emma DonoghuePush by SapphireBeloved by Toni MorrisonThe Bluest Eye by Toni MorrisonThe Mind's Eye by Oliver SacksEverything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

C. Read a book with a title/subtitle that contains the word "solid" or one of these synonyms: cubic, dense, cohesive, firm, sound, unbroken, solvent, strong. You may use plurals, possessives and forms of the words created by adding -ly, -ness,or -al (in the case of cubic), but no compound words.

D. The subject matter of books can be pretty solid. Read a classic from Harold Bloom's list of best books

If an individual title is not listed ("selected stories", "complete works", "plays", etc) you may choose any work by that author within that category that meets general challenge rules

Required: Mention page and section heading when posting (for example, if you read The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann, then include the information found on Page 4, Germany.)

E. Read a book by an author whose initials are in the word "SOLIDLY". If an author goes by three or more names and/or initials all the initials must fit. Hypenated names count as one word. The letters can be in any order.

Required: Please state the options when posting.

25.2 - Jayme VA's task: Around the Country in 6 Parks
Help Thread
This year, I have had the pleasure of visiting several of the US National Parks all around the country and will be going to a couple more this summer.

Join me on my trip, choose two of the following options and read one book for each option you choose.

Option 1: Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming

Yellowstone is our first national park. Choose an author who has published more than 5 books (separate works) and read his or her first published book. Anthologies by a single author (short stories or novella collections) are fine, but anthologies that include multiple authors are excluded for the purpose of this task.
If there is any question about what constitutes the first published book, please ask in the help thread

Option 2: Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming

We rafted down the Snake river when we visited Jackson Hole in Grand Teton National Park. Read a book with one of the following words in the title or author’s name: Raft, Snake, River, Jackson, Hole, or Grand. Plurals and possessives will work, no other variations.

Option 3: Olympic National Park, Washington

Who knew?!... Olympic National Park in Washington is home to a temperate rain forest. Read a book set in a country with large areas of rain forests from this list: Brazil, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Peru, Indonesia, Colombia, Papua New Guinea, Venezuela, Bolivia, Mexico, Suriname
Required: Please identify the country if it is not clearly identified in the Goodreads description

Option 4: Canyonlands National Park, Utah
Due to the rugged topography of the Canyonlands area, much of it was accessible only by foot or horse until the uranium boom of the 1950's. With the growth of the country's nuclear arms program, the Atomic Energy Commission offered monetary incentives for the discovery and delivery of uranium ore. Certain rock layers in Canyonlands contain uranium, and prospectors built many exploratory roads on public lands in search of "radioactive gold." (source: Canyonlands)
Read a book with an element in the title List of Elements or a book from this list: Best Geology Books
If you choose to use the name of an element, plurals and possessives are okay, but no other variations or compound words.

Option 5: Shenandoah National Park

We can’t forget the East Coast! One hundred and one miles of the Appalachian Trail are in this park. Hike part of the trail by reading a book set in one of the states through which the trail passes: Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.
Required: Please identify the state if it is not clearly identified in the Goodreads description

Option 6: Road Trip! Colorado and Utah

Last fall, we rented an RV and visited as many parks as we could in Colorado and Utah. From the tundra in the Rocky Mountains to the desert in Moab to the top of Pike’s Peak in a blizzard, we enjoyed everything we saw. Read a book that features a road trip from one of these two lists:
Best Road Trip Books
Popular Road Trip Books
Required: Please identify which list you used and if you choose the Popular Road Trip list include the page number when you post

Required: Please state the options when you post
Optional: Where should I go next? Tell us your favorite national park!

25.3 - Keltie Lee's task: Hands and Feet
Help Thread
Lately I have noticed an abundance of book covers with only the lower or upper half of the body showing. So I figured I would exploit that for this task.

Read 2 books- Book 1 AND Book 2

Book 1 Read a book with a hand(s) on the cover. Other body parts may be shown, but not feet or complete lower bodies. The hand(s) may be in gloves, mittens, etc.
Ex.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer Pizza, Love, and Other Stuff That Made Me Famous by Kathryn Williams Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer In One Person by John Irving

Book 2: Read a book with a foot/feet on the cover. Other body parts may be shown, but not hands. The foot/feet may be in shoes, socks, etc.
Ex

Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #4) by Kelley Armstrong Lost It by Kristen Tracy One Moment by Kristina McBride Heat Wave by Nancy Thayer Good Grief by Lolly Winston

Required: Please include a link to both of the covers when you post.

25.4 - Sandy/Kristi's task: All About the Author
Help Thread
If you're taking part in the SRC, it's probably safe to say that reading is important to you. For this task, let's find out more about the people who make this pleasant pastime possible--the authors.

For Book A - Read a biography, autobiography, or memoir of an author.

For Book B - Read a book or collection of works (plays, poetry, newspaper articles, etc.) written by the author that is the focus of book A. Book B may NOT be a second memoir.

Examples:
On Writing by Stephen King AND one of his novels
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami AND one of his novels
Memoirs by Tennessee Williams and a collection of his plays, such as A Streetcar Named Desire and Other Plays
Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smart-Ass, or Why You Should Never Carry a Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office : A Memoir by Jen Lancaster AND her only novel, If You Were Here
Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee by Charles J. Shields AND To Kill a Mockingbird

message 7: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 12, 2012 05:01PM) (new)

25.5 - Stacie MI’s Task: Even More Fun With Holidays!!
Help Thread
Who doesn’t love a fun reason to celebrate and summer is the best time to do that!

For this task, you will read TWO books. Pick two of the options below and read a book for each.

Required: Please state the options you chose when you post.

1. Forgiveness Day falls on June 26th. Celebrate by attempting to forgive a book that did you wrong. Reread any book that you rated 2 stars or less on Goodreads.
Required: The book must appear on your “Read” shelf on your Goodreads page.
Optional: Let us know if you feel the same way about the book (rated it the same way), or if you have decided to let bygones be bygones and forgive it.

2. Hug Holiday falls on June 29th. Celebrate by hugging a loved one and reading a book with two people embracing on the cover.
Required: Please post a link to the cover of your book.

3. International Joke Day falls on July 1st. Celebrate by laughing and reading a funny book. Humor must appear on the book’s main Goodreads page!

4. Compliment Your Mirror Day falls on July 3rd. Celebrate by looking in the mirror and read what you see! Read a book with someone on the cover who shares one of your personal attributes, either your hair color or eye color. For example, I have dark brown hair and green eyes, so I could read a book with a cover that has someone with brown hair or someone with green eyes (or both!).
Required: Tell which attribute you are matching and post a link to the cover of your book when you post.

5. Wiggle Your Toes Day falls on August 6th. Celebrate by reading a book where feet are visible on the cover. The toes need not be visible and the feet need not be of the human variety.
Required: Post a link to the cover of your book when you post.

6. Just Because Day falls on August 27th. Celebrate by reading any book you desire, just because!

25.6 - JennRenee's task: Sounds of Summer.
Help Thread
Many summer songs have fond memories of my childhood days attached to them. Every time I hear these songs, I get carried away and the memories take over. Here are some of my favorite songs and memories.

For this task choose 2 different options and read a book from each.

1.Endless Summer Nights by Richard as Marx- Who doesn’t remember their first young love? I lived in Texas and my Grandparents in Michigan and I would spend my summers with them. My first love that I will always remember started one summer in Michigan I would get to spend the entire summer with him, but always had to leave. I thought it would last forever. This song was really popular the first summer we met and I listened to it over and over when I left to go back home.

Read a book about a summer romance with the genre "romance" on the book's main page. The summer setting should be evident in the title or book description.
OR
Read a book with a night scene on the cover.
Required: Post the cover

2.School’s Out Forever by Alice Cooper- I think this song started the summer for many of us. I remember shouting this after our last class and on the bus all the way home for so many years. This song always reminds me of the start of summer.

Read a book about a vacation or trip OR read a book with a main character as a teenage or college student

3.Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie yellow polka dot bikini- by Brian Hyland -In Jr. High my friends and I would go around the neighborhood to wash cars for our spending money. We loved to sing this song over and over while we played with the suds and sprayer.

Read a book with a swimsuit on cover or one where the main character has a summer job (a job that they only do during the summer.)
Required: Post the cover or identify the summer job

4. Under the Board walk by The Drifters. I remember first hearing this song when I was teenager home for the summer and I watched “Beaches” for the first time. I watched it over and over all summer, it quickly became one of my favorite movies.

Read a book with Under, Board, Walk, Down, Sea in the title or subtitle OR a book that focuses on a friendship from this list Best Adult Female Friendship Books .

5. Kokomo by the Beach Boys –When I was in Junior High I had two best friends, Tabitha and Jennifer. Every weekend in the summer we were staying at one or the others house. This song was really popular and my friend Jennifer made up a line dance to the song. We spent many Friday and Saturday nights learning the dance until we could do it perfectly for our families. Good Times…

Read a book with an island or beach on the cover OR a book that takes place in one of the islands/beaches in the song lyrics........ Aruba, Jamaica, Bermuda Bahamas, Key Largo, Montego, Kokomo
Required: post the island/beach cover

Required: Please identify the options when you post
Optional: when posting post one of your favorite childhood summer memories.

25.7 Marcia's task: Youtube Summer Fun
Help Thread
For 2 years I taught ESL to elementary school students in South Korea. Although I'm glad to be back in the United States, I miss my students. They loved watching Youtube videos between classes or during lunch.

Read 2 books, each from a different option.

Required: Post the options you chose.

My students' top 5 Youtube videos:
1. Uh-Huh Slow , Uh-Huh Fast
The fast version is by far the most popular video for every grade! My students would be in fits and giggles by the middle, and falling out of their chair laughing by the end. I didn't think it was that funny, but my students would beg to watch it again and again.

Since this was really 2 similar videos, read a book that focuses on 2 main characters that are the same sex. It should be clear in the Goodreads description that the book is about 2 boys or 2 girls.
For example:

For example:Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, Someone Like You, Animal Farm, Will Grayson, Will Grayson, The Chosen, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, A Separate Peace, Firefly Lane

2. People are Awesome
The boys loved this video! I'd hear 'Hull' (Korean slang) and 'Whoa!' when the baseball player rotates the bat, or the guy with 3 basketballs removes his hat.
Read a fiction or non-fiction book featuring one of the sports or activities in this video: special olympics, rollerblading, basketball, soccer, biking, gymnastics, daredevil stunts, tennis, bowling, skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, baseball, diving, golfing, karate, table tennis.

Required: If not in the Goodreads description, please let us know what sport or activity.

3. This Too Shall Pass
Many of my students had never seen a Rube Goldberg Machine! Although they had no idea what the song was about or who OK Go! was, they loved this video. After the 3rd or 4th time watching they asked the meaning of "This Too Shall Pass."
Since it's a video about letting things go, read a book by a deceased author.
Required: Post the author's date of death

4. A Day in the Life of a Korean Student
Eventually my students will become this! As High School students they will attend public school and private 'hagwons' (after school private schools) 12-18 hours every day, including weekends.
Read a fiction or non-fiction book about North or South Korea Or a book that has a main character attending High School full-time; the book should be set during the school year, but does not have to involve school.
For example,Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea (North Korea) Please Look After Mom (South Korea), Twilight (in school)

5. Annoying Orange
After watching this video the boys would greet me with "Wasssabi!" The girls had fun with the adjective 'annoying', and most students learned the names of various fruits!
Read a book with a fruit on the cover or a fruit in the title/subtitle/author's name. Plurals and possessives are ok, but nothing else. Here's a list of fruits, and tomato will be considered a fruit since Koreans eat it that way! If doing the cover option, please post a link to the cover.

message 8: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 04, 2012 04:39AM) (new)

25.8 - Kate S's task: Going to the Ball Park
Help Thread
It's summer time, let's go see America's past-time. Pick two** options from the following list. You can't do the same option twice, but you can do two different options from the same category. **If you do option E- Doubleheader-this option counts as both books

A. Home or Away-When heading to a game, we must decide if we are rooting for the home team or the visiting team (it will help us decide which colors to wear!)

1. Home-Choose a book written by an author who is a "local". (Born in or lives in the same city/state/ province your do.

2. Away-Choose a book written by an author from a different COUNTRY (by birth or residence) than where you currently live.

Required: Please identify your Home/Away location when you post

B. Hit the Concession Stand

1. Food-Gotta grab a hot dog while you are at the stadium! Read a book originally written in German, set in Germany or by a German author (by birth or residence).

2. Drink-Beer is the drink of the ball park. Read a book about beer brewing or a book with one of the following words in the title: ale, amber, lager, draft, brew, craft, light, dark, or beer. Plurals and possessives are fine, but no other variations or compound words.

C. The restrooms: one of the great inequities at the ball park!

1. The Women's Room: Read a LONG (over 400 pages) book written by a woman.

2. The Men's Room: Read a short book (100-200 pages) written by a man.

D. Go watch the game (or at least the players)

1. Read a biography/autobiography/memoir about a current or past professional baseball player.

2. Read a non-fiction account of baseball. This book should NOT be a biography, but rather a book about the game, ex. Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game, Eight Men Out: The Black Sox and the 1919 World Series, The Baseball Codes: Beanballs, Sign Stealing, and Bench-Clearing Brawls: The Unwritten Rules of America's Pastime

E. Doubleheader- Sometimes, we are lucky enough to watch two games in one trip, the team match up may look the same, but there are frequently different players involved in each game!

1. Read two books with the same title written by different authors. Subtitles may be ignored. ex. The Reef by Nora Roberts AND The Reef (Everyman's Library by Edith Wharton

message 9: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 01, 2012 11:03AM) (new)

30 point tasks

30.1 Cindy AL's task: SuperHero Summer
Help Thread
I have a confession, I really, really like good summer blockbuster movies. This summer the blockbuster theme is superheroes. The Avengers has already opened, and Batman and Spiderman are still to come. Let’s meet the superheroes.

Roll two dice, and read two books corresponding to the options below:

1) Iron Man - Tony Stark is a millionaire playboy, arms merchant, engineering genius who through a series of misfortunes ends up with electromagnet keeping him alive and powering a super suit, whew.

In honor of Iron Man, read a book with science fiction as a genre or a non-fiction book about science.

2) Thor - Thor is, well, Thor, and doesn’t he have great hair?! My daughter would point out that it is all because he is Australian, nothing to do with the Norse god.

Read a book in the genre "mythology" or a "mythology" genre variation- "mythology > fantasy" . This may help http://www.goodreads.com/genres/mytho...

3) The Hulk - Hulk is the alter ego, literally, of a quiet withdrawn physicist, David Banner, who turns into a raging green monster when his emotions get the better of him. And boy, does he go through a lot of clothes!

Read a book from the Goodreads list Most Emotional Books or a book with an article of clothing in the title or subtitle. The Goodreads list Inside Your Wardrobe may help get you started with the names of articles of clothing. As always, use caution with lists

4) Captain America - Meet Steve Rogers, a frail young man brought to “the peak of human perfection” (thanks wiki) by an experimental serum. His story starts during WWII and he fights the Nazis, ending up buried in ice for 70 years ( actually a great movie).

Read a book set between 1900 and 1950 or a non-fiction book connected to World War II.

5) Batman - As you may know, the first four heroes are the more famous members of The Avengers. Hollywood can never leave well enough alone, so they had to slip in two of their biggest superhero franchises (Anybody remember those years when we had competing volcano movies and competing asteroid-hitting-Earth movies?).

Read a book with a flying creature on the cover - bird, bug, bat, dragon, Superman - any living thing, real or imaginary, that can fly. And, I forgot, Batman is Bruce Wayne, millionaire playboy, yadda, yadda.

6) Spiderman - Peter Parker, frail teenage son of lost scientists, gets bitten by a spider on a school field trip...detect a theme here?

To complete our list of heroes, read a book with a word in the title or subtitle of at least three letters, that can be anagrammed from SPIDERMAN. “and” is an acceptable word for this option.
Required: Please state the anagrammed word when you post

All genre options should have the genre listed on the their main Goodreads page.

Required: Please identify the numbers you rolled when you post

30.2 Sassafrass's task: I’ll Leave My Heart in San Francisco!
Help Thread
This July, I’m going to spend a week in San Francisco, California. Now, I’m supposed to be going for a conference (*wink, wink*), but I’m sure that I’ll make lots of time to discover more about this fantastic city.

Come explore the sights with me by picking two of the following options and reading two different books:

1. Say Cheese! San Francisco is the second most photographed city in the United States, behind New York City. For this option, read a book that features a photographer as the main character or is about someone frequently photographed in newspapers and/or other types of print media (politician, model, celebrity, subject of an investigation...etc)

2. Happy Anniversary: May 27, 2012 marked the 75th anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge. I’m really excited to see it up close. Read a book that features the words Golden, Gate, or Bridge in either the title, subtitle, or authors name. Plurals and possessives are ok, no other variations are allowed.
examples: The Golden Compass, The Gate House, Bridge to Terabithia,The Bridges of Madison County, Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges

3. The Rock: Alcatraz was not only a famous prison, but it was also the site of the first lighthouse in the Western United States before it became a federal penitentiary. I plan to take a tour there but to be honest, I hope it’s the only time I ever see the inside of a jail cell! For this option:
a. read a book about or featuring someone who goes to prison, is in prison, or who was in prison or someone who worked or lived in a prison. This list of “prison books” can help. (if not obvious from the description, explain how it fits the option) **Brownie points if you find a book that has Alcatraz in it. :)
b. OR you can read a book with a lighthouse on the cover. Here is a list to help: “Lighthouse books” (show cover)

4. The San Francisco Treat: Cable Cars! I can't wait to ride on one. The San Francisco Cable Cars were actually named a National Landmark in 1964. And here I thought they were famous only because of the Rice-a-roni commercials. For this option: read a book with some method of transportation on the cover. It doesn’t have to be a method we currently have available as long as it is used to transport people from one place to another.
Here are some lists to help get you started:
cars on the cover
planes trains and automobiles
Trolleys, Streetcars and Traction

5. A taste of Asia: Did you know that San Francisco’s Chinatown is the largest outside of Asia? For this option, read a book set in an Asian country, in a Chinatown found in other parts of the world, or has a main character or author who is of Asian descent.
Here are some lists that can help:
fiction from the Chinese mainland
best South Asian fiction
best novels that take place in china
Japanese authors

***Need some help figuring out what countries are in Asia?
World Atlas

6. Flower Power: Haight-Ashbury is famous for its tie-dyed, drug-infused, flower-power roots. The area is synonymous with the 1960‘s, especially the “Summer of Love” and the neighborhood became a haven for hippies and influential psychadelic rock performers like the Grateful Dead and Janis Joplin. Although it was before my time, I’m looking forward to trekking over there and trying to absorb the feeling of the area. So join me and put a flower wreath in your hair, grab your peasant blouse and bell-bottoms and take a trip back in time with me.
For this option, you can read a book with a flower or flowers on the cover, a book with the name of a flower in the title, subtitle, or author’s name,
OR
read a book that’s set in the 1960’s or was first published in the 1960’s.

Required: Please state the options you use when you post

As usual with tasks, if not obvious from the book description, please explain how the book fits the option.
If you use a cover option please post the cover or a link to the cover
When using listopia lists, please remember that not every book on the list will work and use the task and challenge requirements to determine the appropriateness of the books.

30.3 Sheila/Kathy G.'s task- Aye, Aye, Matey!
Help Thread
When I think of summer--- I think of Islands and Pirates-

Read two books. Choose one from the Book A options and one from the Book B options.

Book A Options

A-1. Land Ho! - Read a book set on an island. (Fictional islands okay)
Required: Explain how your book fits this task if you cannot
name the actual island.

A-2 - X Marks the Spot- Read any book that has the letter “X” in the title, subtitle, or the author’s name.

A-3 - Pieces of Eight- Read a book that has eight letters in the author’s First OR Last name- not both together; eight words in the title or title and subtitle; or is the 8th book in a series.

The book must be listed as a series on Goodreads. (All small words count as a “word” such as: The, A, An, etc.) ****Series names do not count***

Examples: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich or Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague

A4 - Golden Doubloons- Read a book that has money- coins or paper, jewels or jewelry or a treasure chest on the cover. A single jewel is okay. I will accept any precious stones and pearls. ***Watches will not count as jewelry in this case.***
Required: Please include a link to the cover when you post

Book B Options

B-1 - Pass the Jug- Read a book by an author whose First name and Last name initials have any two letters from the words “rum” and/or “whiskey.”

Examples: Harriet Beacher Stowe – “hs” or Herman Melville- “hm” .- h from whiskey, m from rum
Required: Please state which two letters you are using.

B2 - “I’ll cut your gizzard!”- Read a book with a knife or sword on
the cover- Cartoon or toy knives are okay.

B3 - Hangman’s Noose- Read any suspense or mystery book. “suspense" or "mystery” must be listed as a genre on the front page.

B4 - Jolly Roger- Read a book that has a skull, skeleton or bones on the cover. Cartoons or silhouettes are okay.

Required: Post which options you are choosing from each category.

30.4 Dlmrose's task: Vowel Prowl
Help Thread
Read 2 books, one A and one B:

Book A: AEIOU- Read a book with all 5 vowels- A,E,I,O,U- found in any combination of the title, subtitle, or author's name as it appears on Goodreads.
Ex. DAUghtEr Of Smoke and Bone by LaIni Taylor
In PrAisE Of Slowness: Challenging the CUlt of Speed
Is EveryOne HAnging OUt Without Me?

Book B: And Sometimes Y- Read a book with a word in the title or subtitle or author's name that begins with the letter Y

Required: Please indicate where the letters can be found in book A

message 10: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 03, 2012 03:07PM) (new)

30.5 Bluemoon's task: BEG, BORROW, OR STEAL YOUR WAY AROUND THE WORLD
Help Thread
Since summer is a big travel season and money is tight these days I thought it would be fun to take a virtual trip.

Choose 2 of the following 3 options.
***Each book must be set on a different continent (Africa, Asia, Australia and Oceania, Europe, North America, South America or Antarctica). You will find countries listed by continent here http://www.worldatlas.com/cntycont.htm and you may not use a book set in your home country

A. BEG - Get a recommendation from a friend. It may be a Goodreads friend, a "real life" friend, or a librarian (the true friend of readers everywhere) You may ask your friend to pick from a shortlist you prepare or their Goodreads shelves.
Required: Identify your friend when you post

B. BORROW - For this option borrow a book from the library, a friend or relative, etc.
Required: Identify where you got your book

C. STEAL - Since the moderators are so busy keeping track of all our posts check out their bookshelves and steal a book from them. This book can be from any shelf (Read or TBR) of the mod.
Required: Include which mod's shelf you raided

Required: Please state your home country and identify the two continents when you post

30.6 - Peebee's Task: It's the End of the World As We Know It...And I Feel Fine
Task Help
This task was inspired by Jessica PDX’s Task from the Spring Challenge involving the Smashing Pumpkins, and my love for 80s classic alternative rock. Back in the day, I could sing along all the lyrics to the classic REM song, It's the End of the World As We Know It...And I Feel Fine (although honestly, there's major confusion about most of Michael Stipe's lyrics, so I'm sure I got some of them wrong, and it was before I could look them up on the Internet.)

Select two (2) different options from the following choices:

REQUIRED: Indicate the options you choose on your post.

A) "It starts with an earthquake...": Read a book about a type of disaster listed in the song. Here's a few, but this list is not exclusive: "It starts with an earthquake"; "eye of a hurricane"; "wire in a fire" (electrical fire); "automotive incinerate" (car fire).

REQUIRED: If it's not obvious, please explain which type of disaster referenced in the lyrics that your book is about.

B) "End of the World As We Know It": Read a book about the end of the world...any book shelved as dystopia, apocalyptic, or post-apocalyptic on its main Goodreads page will work. The song specifically mentions the Rapture, for those who want to read a Christian perspective on the subject.

OPTIONAL: Tell us your favorite or most unsettling characteristic about the world described in the book which is different from today's world (i.e., what's different from the world as you know it?)

C) Putting on the LBs: Read a book about one of the people listed in the song: Leonard Bernstein, Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce, or Lester Bangs. Fiction or non-fiction is fine, as is any book in which these play a significant role (something beyond a one-time mention but they don't have to be the central figure of the book, either).

REQUIRED: If it's not obvious, please explain how the book is about the person you select.

D) "A Tournament of Lies": Read a book about war from one of the following lists:

Best War Novels
Best Non-fiction War Books
War/Romance Novels

REQUIRED: Please state which list and the position on that list of the book you select.

E) A Cover Tune: Read any book with a cover depicting one of the "things" listed in the song. Here's a few, but this list is not exclusive: birds, snakes, airplanes, ladder, uniform, book, candle, birthday party, cheesecake, jellybean.

REQUIRED: Please link to the cover and state which thing from the song it depicts.

F) I Feel Fine: Read any book listed with the Self-Help genre on its Goodreads page. The Goodreads Self-Help page may give you some ideas.

OPTIONAL: Tell us something you learned from the book or how it helped you.

G) It's time I had some time alone: Read a book where the central character experiences time alone or isolation i.e. a significant solo experience. Examples: a single, separated, divorced, or widowed person who lives alone or whose relationship recently ended; a prisoner in solitary confinement; someone who is lost or trapped/kidnapped away from others; someone who takes a solitary journey, etc.

REQUIRED: Please state in which way the character can be considered alone.

30.7 Ms. Anderson’s Task – The Final Battle
Help Thread
I’ve been looking forward to this year if only because of the movies coming out in theaters—specifically, movies that feature some of my favorite superheroes and villains. Yes. I’m a nerd. We knew this.

Anyway, your job is simple. First, choose one of the Awesome Matchups below. Next, choose two of the three options related to your matchup. Finally, read two books, one that fits each option you chose. You may not use the same option twice.

As always, if the connection isn’t clear from the book’s description, be sure to explain it when you post. All page-length rules apply. Happy reading!

1.Batman vs. Joker
a. Main character was orphaned before age 18
b. Genre “Humor” on main page
c. Graphic novel featuring this matchup

2. Iron Man vs. Iron Monger
a. The author has the initials “S-T-A-R-K” in any order
b. Genre “Science Fiction” on main page- no shelf name variations

3. Thor vs. Loki
a. Lightning on the cover (REQUIRED: Post cover)
b. Norse mythology heavily featured in the plot (collections of Norse myths will count)

4. Black Widow vs. Red Guardian
a. Main character is a professional spy or spy-in-training
b. Genre “Romance” on main page

5. Wolverine vs. Deadpool (yes, I know there’s no Wolverine movie until next year, but I don’t care because he’s Wolverine and is therefore awesome enough to include on this list)
a. Book set in Canada or Japan
b. Book from this Cult Classics list: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/25...
Required: Please state the Matchup and the options chosen when you post

30.8 Delicious Dee's task: It's Time for the Summer Country Concert Series
Help Thread
The first weekend of the challenge this season, also kicks off the summer concert series that I have tickets to. Over the next couple of months, I am going to be attending 5 different concerts in the area and i'm excited about all of them. As a way to celebrate both these concerts and ones i have attended in the past, you will read two books for this challenge.

You must select ONE book from Group A and ONE Book from Group B

Group A - Concerts I am seeing this summer

1. WMZQ Summerfest
- to kick off the summer, this all concert will feature not only Miranda Lambert, but several other acts through-out theday. So let's celebrate by reading an anthology. For the purpose of this task, an anthology is defined as a book with contributions by three or more authors. (i.e. Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love, My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding)

2. Rascal Flatts
- has been around a long time, but this is the first time I have seen them in concert. One of my favorite songs by them is "Life is a Highway" that was featured in Disney's Cars. Read a book that is set in a place that you would love to visit.
Required: If the location isn't obvious from the book description, be sure to include that in your post

3. Toby Keith
- this summer is going to be the third time that I have seen TK in the last 5 years, so let's re-read an old favorite, or a new or previously unread book by a favorite author

4. Brad Paisley
- with songs like Celebrity, Alcohol, Flowers and Toothbrush, you can see he likes those one word titles - read a book that has only one word in the title. (i.e. Crank, Speak) The book may NOT use a subtitle

5. Jason Aldean
- the first song of Jason's i remember hearing was Big Green Tractor and it was one of his first ones to hit the number 1 spot on the charts. Read a book that has a mode of transportation on the cover. Be sure to include the cover in your post

Group B. Concerts I have seen

1. Maroon 5
- opened up when I saw them with Counting Crows a few years ago, and they were much better than the main act (unfortunately). Read a book that either has a number or a color in the title - numbers like one, two, three count - first, second, third do not. (i.e One For The Money, Blue Dahlia)

2. Tim McGraw
- I don't remember too much about this concert because I readily admit I was too busy oggling Tim on stage with a wife-beater on. Read a book that has a "hot" cover

3. Brooks and Dunn
- it was a sad day when Kicks Brooks and Ronnie Dunn split up - but in honor of them, read a book that is written as a single title by 2 authors - they could either write under a single name - such as Ilona Andrews (a husband and wife writing team) or 1 book written by 2 authors (i.e. The Beach House written by James Patterson and Peter de Jonge)
Required: If the single name writing team is not explained at the Goodreads author page, please provide a reference

4. Trace Adkins
- a few years ago I was lucky enough to see Trace Adkins when he was travelling with the USO. These concerts are always fun to attend and better yet they are often free for servicemembers. Read a book that you got for free. It could be a free ebook download, a book you borrowed from a friend, a book you got from the library etc
Required: Please state how you got your free book when you post

5. Blake Shelton
- seeing Blake in concert just a few weeks ago reminded me why he was the ACM male artist of the year. His first number one hit was Austin, about a guys love going back to Austin after leaving him. Read a book where the name of a city is in the title (i.e From Barcelona, with Love, The Paris Wife)
Required: Identify the city and state/country when you post

Required: Please state the option you chose for Book A and Book B when you post

message 11: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 12, 2012 06:10AM) (new)

30.9 Nick KY's Task: North by Northwest
Help Thread
With “Wind” as our theme, here’s an opportunity to read more about Chicago -- “The Windy City” and the gateway to the great Northwest, and related topics.

Read 2 books from the following options. You may use two different options or the same option twice.

Option 1: Read a book set partially or entirely in Chicago.

Option 2: Read a book with one of the following Chicago Sports team words in the title: Bears, Cubs, White, Sox, Black, Hawks, Bulls, Sky, Fire, Windy, City, Rollers. Plurals/singulars, possessives, variations (roll, rolling, etc), and compound words (windmill, wind-up, rollover) all work

Option 3: The above teams are from the sports of Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer, and the Roller Derby. Read a non-fiction book concerning one of those sports, or a fiction book with a protagonist who plays one of these sports.

Option 4: Travel North by Northwest from Chicago and read a book set in one of the following states: Wisconsin, Minnesota, North or South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, or in the Canadian provinces of Manitoba, the Northwest Territories, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, or the Yukon.

Option 5: “North by Northwest” is a great film by Alfred Hitchcock with an interesting history – For instance, its original title was “The Man in Lincoln’s Nose”! (See the wikilink here.) Read a memoir or non-fiction book about Hitchcock or any other film director, Cary Grant or any other film actor, or about Hollywood or film-making in general. TV actors and directors are acceptable.

REQUIRED: Indicate the option(s) you choose when you post.

30.10 Butterflycager's Task - Honoring the Flag and My Dad
Help thread
My dad's birthday was June 14th. This is also Flag Day in the United States, commemorating the adoption of the national flag. When I was very young, I thought that the flags displayed all over town were in honor of Dad, and I often think of him whenever I see a flag waving in the breeze.

For this task, you will choose two different options from the list below, and read one book for each. When posting, please state which options you chose, and if you choose a cover option, make sure to post a link to the cover. Enjoy!

1. Read a book with "flag" in the title OR with a flag on the cover (need not be an American flag, any flag will do). If using the title option, possessives and plurals are fine, but no other variations.
This list Flags may help

2. The first official United States flag had 13 stars and 13 stripes to represent the original 13 colonies. Read a book with "thirteen" or "13" in the title/subtitle (thirteenth/13th okay, no other variations) OR identified on Goodreads as the 13th book in a series.

3. My dad had many interests, and one of his greatest passions was trains. Read a book with "train", "rail", "railroad", or "railway" in the title/subtitle OR with a train or train tracks on the cover. For the title, possessives and plurals are fine, but no other variations.

4. Dad worked for many years as a college administrator, and he loved being on campus - going to concerts, attending special lectures, and occasionally auditing a class. Read a novel that has a school or college as its primary setting. If setting isn't obvious from the Goodreads description, please clarify this when you post.
These lists may help Boarding School Stories, Campus Days

5. One of Dad's favorite literary genres was alternate history, and it so happens that one of his favorite authors, Harry Turtledove, was also born on June 14th. Read any book by Harry Turtledove OR any book that has alternate history on the genre list on its main GR page.

30.11 - Laurie ME's task: Fun Summer Holidays
Help Thread
There are so many unusual and fun holidays to celebrate all summer long. Here are a few of my favorites. These Holidays are found on the web site: www.holidayinsights.com

Chose from two (2) different options and read one for each.

1. Repeat Day (June 3): read a book with two consecutive words in the title/subtitle that repeat their first letter or a book by an author with any two initials that repeat. ex. title words: An Affair to Remember, Three Times Lucky, author intitials: Laura Lippman, Beth Ann Bauman

2. National Pink Day (June 23): read a book with a cover that’s mostly pink.

3. Moon Day (July 20): Read a book with "moon" in the title/subtitle OR a moon on the cover. Plurals, possessives, variations, and compound words work.

4. National Culinarians Day (July 25):Read a book that has a food or a drink on the cover, OR a book about a food or a drink, OR a book that involves the preparation of food ie. the story involves a restaurant/chef, pub, bakery/baker, coffee shop, etc

5. Chinese Valentine’s Day (August 23): Read a book with "romance" as a genre, OR about Valentine’s Day OR with a predominately red cover OR with a heart on the cover.

6. National Dog Day (August 26): Read a book that has a dog on the cover OR a book about dogs or one in which a dog plays a major role ex. Crazy For You, You Slay Me (demon dog), Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog

Required: Please state the options you chose when you post. If using cover options, please post link to cover. If your choices isn’t obvious, please explain the connection.

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

50.1 Coralie's task: Moonshadow – the Musical
Everywhere you go around town at the moment you see ads for the world premiere of Moonshadow the musical by Cat Stevens. So, to get in the spirit..

Choose three of the following options and read a book for each of them.

Option 1 - Read a book with the word "moon" or "shadow" in the title/subtitle ex. Carolina Moon, A Fall of Moondust, Seduced by Moonlight, Shadowmarch
OR
read a book with "cat" or "steven" in the author’s name. ex. Catherine Coulter, Edwidge Danticat, Willa Cather, Robert Louis Stevenson, Steven D. Levitt

Variations are permissible as long as the entire word is included consecutively.

Option 2- Read a book that has been made into a stage musical, movie musical, or opera. Here's a list of musicals to get you started but there are more
Required: Please identify the musical or opera when you post. Please explain the connection if it isn't apparent in the book description

Option 3 - Read a book about Islam or set in a country where Islam is the major religion or with a main character who is a Muslim.
Required: Please identify the country setting or Muslim character when you post.

Option 4 – Cat Stevens and Yusuf are the same person performing under different names. Read a book written by an author who writes under more than one name.
Required: Please include a Goodreads link to the author and identify at least one of the author's pseudonyms when you post. Include an offsite reference if the pseudonym is not included in the author's biography.

Option 5 - The musical is being performed in Australia, so read a book set in Australia.

Option 6 – The musical Moonshadow is described as an epic fantasy. Read a book that has ‘epic fantasy’ as a genre on its main Goodreads page.

Option 7 – Read a book where the complete title of one of Cat Stevens’ or Yusuf’s songs appears in the title and/or subtitle ex. Moonshadow, Blue Monday, Bitterblue, Along the Way: The Journey of a Father and Son (Father and Son)
Required: Please include the song title when you post

Option 8 – Yusuf Islam was born in England to a Greek-Cypriot father and a Swedish mother. Read a book by an author who was born in the UK, Greece, Cyprus or Sweden.
Required: Please include in your post a Goodreads link to the author and an offsite reference if the author's birthplace is not identified on Goodreads

Required: Please state the options you chose when you post.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Beat the Reaper (other topics)
Heat Wave (other topics)
Zoo Station (other topics)
The Man Who Made Lists: Love, Death, Madness, and the Creation of Roget's Thesaurus (other topics)
Dropped Names: Famous Men and Women As I Knew Them (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Agatha Christie (other topics)
Jen Lancaster (other topics)
Irmgard Keun (other topics)
Arthur Conan Doyle (other topics)
Nora Roberts (other topics)
More...