Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

Sookie Stackhouse Books > Book first or show first?

Comments (showing 1-47 of 47) (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Miranda (last edited May 17, 2012 10:57AM) (new)

Miranda | 6 comments Did you read the book first or watch the show first?
I started out watching the show and fell in love and that inspired me to start reading the books. I am on book two. I kind of wish I would have read the books first though so I could have used my imagination to picture the characters more. It's hard because when I read the books I just picture the true blood characters.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1155 comments It was the show first than the books and now I am caught up on both exccept for the new book Deadlocked, I haven't read it yet.

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) lol, well, since I have a first edition (very battered) of the first Sookie book--bought hot off the presses the day it came out, guess that answers THAT question, right?

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 463 comments Mod
Miranda! It's not too late to read all the books before you get caught up on the series! There will be new characters for you to formulate in your head before they're fed to you by HBO. The books and show are different and each wonderful in their own right.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina (RegalLadySnow) | 1 comments I started the books before I ever got so much as a glimpse of the show. Honestly, I didn't like what I saw of the show, so I didn't venture farther.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

You're not alone Christina. And I tell ya, once you've watched the show it's hard to get those characters out of your head when you read the books.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes the books are so much better then the show.
I watched show first then read the books. I am so glad I continued to read to books and have now read all of them (except deadlock). It has made visualizing some of the characters easier but with them not being close to the seasons i can view some of the other characters using my own imagination. Heck who doesn't like visualizing Alexander Skarsgård (Eric) man is he a hottie!

message 8: by Nicole (new)

You speak the truth Kat! The casting of Eric is fantastic. I like that visualization. That's why I really really really want them to bring Quinn to the show! I think we have a whole other thread dedicated to casting that was a blast.

message 9: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 6 comments Eric is sooooo hot in the book and on the show he is exactly how I pictured him in the book. I love so first two books and am looking forward to reading them all. I also love the show though, I think that it's kind of nice to see little changes here and there so it's still new and exciting to read the books after seeing the show. I went back and watched the first season, after watching the latest and fell in love all over again. I miss the old bill:(

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) I was reading the books years before the show came out.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 7 comments I read the first book and a friend told me about the show so I watched the first season and then read the rest of the books. I don't know when the books were written/show originally aired but it seemed to me that Charlaine Harris's writing started to change to match the show better like the relationship with Tara and Sookie how they go from barely knowing each other to super close/best friends. I thought that was a little weird....

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 19 comments I agree.. I started with the show first then read the books all in a week or so before the third season started.. I personally like both but for different reasons, they are different from each other to the point I dont think it matters if you read the books first or watch the show then read.

message 13: by Darren (last edited Jun 11, 2012 04:55PM) (new)

Darren Burton (sherlock77) | 1 comments I've never read the books, but recently my girlfriend bought the first series on DVD. We've just finished watching the first series so I've gone out and bought seasons 2, 3 and 4.

Being a male I've never been that into the typical PNR style of book, movie or TV show. I don't mind some romance, so long as it's part of the backdrop to a plot that is a bit more hardcore and gripping.

When I watched the first few episodes I was surprised at how hardcore the show was, as I was initially under the impression that it was aimed at teens and tweens. I'm so glad it's not, because this type of show is definitely my kind of thing.

Loving it so far. Hope the next few seasons I'm about to watch are as good as, or better than the first season!

message 14: by Delia (new)

Delia (DeeDreams) | 1 comments Darren wrote: "I've never read the books, but recently my girlfriend bought the first series on DVD. We've just finished watching the first series so I've gone out and bought seasons 2, 3 and 4.

Being a male I'v..."

I absolutely agree with you. I love that it isn't necessarily a teen show considering those are dominating tv. That's why I love HBO so much though, because their shows are a bit more osé and that's wonderful!

message 15: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (mortuarymomma) | 1 comments I started reading the books about halfway through season 1. Now that I've read all of the books thus far, I have to say that I'm surprised at how far the series deviates from the books. Sometimes it feels like they both have the same characters, but only a glimpse of the same storyline.

message 16: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) Elizabeth--the change (or rather, covering the friendship with Tara more) came well before the TV series started.

Darren--warning about season 2, there is WAY too much of that (explitive deleted) maenad in it. She's not just a third or fourth level character as in the book--they make the entire season revolve around her. . . NOT my fav season. Oh, and we are ALL still pouting that they didn't dress Alex up in the tight spandex that he wore in the book.

message 17: by Nicole (new)

No doubt Ann! I agree with you. I felt like that story line tainted that season a bit. Season 2 was def my least fav one as well.

message 18: by Amber (new)

Amber | 63 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I read the first book and a friend told me about the show so I watched the first season and then read the rest of the books. I don't know when the books were written/show originally aired but it se..."

I completely agree. It does seem like the book changed once the show became more popular because I really like books 1-9 and every book after has been .... well, boring. It just seems to drag without there being a big conflict/climax. We don't really learn anything new in book 10-12 and now there is only one book left! As far as the show, it really just feels like the same characters but dropped into a completely different story, lol.

message 19: by Amber (new)

Amber | 63 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Elizabeth--the change (or rather, covering the friendship with Tara more) came well before the TV series started.

Darren--warning about season 2, there is WAY too much of that (explitive deleted..."

I hated that season too, lol.

message 20: by Amber (new)

Amber | 63 comments Kat wrote: "Yes the books are so much better then the show.
I watched show first then read the books. I am so glad I continued to read to books and have now read all of them (except deadlock). It has made vi..."

Eric was my favorite character in the book too! I agree that Alexander is perfect. I just wish they wrote up the TV version to allow Eric to be more like the Eric that I loved so much in the book.

message 21: by M. (new)

M. I've only watched the first two seasons of the show and I just finished Dead in Dallas so I'm pretty much even. I do like that the show deviates from the book and the characters are more developed (Tara, Lafayette, etc.) I will probably read ahead of the series.

message 22: by Chandra (new)

Chandra | 1 comments I watched the show first and loved it the books are sooo good too!! but i love the fact that their so different from one another it keeps me interested!!!

message 23: by CindyToo (new)

CindyToo | 107 comments If you like AS as Eric, you should take a look at these HBOGo clips, AS "gets" Book Eric: http://ericandsookielovers.com/2012/0...

<3

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) I recommend the books first but either work.

message 25: by Emma-jane (new)

Emma-jane (Love-Life-Read) I started watching the show first. A friend at university recommended true blood to me and I loved it. I then went out and bought all the books. I am currently up to book four and I have watched seasons one to five. I am suprised by how the series deviates from the books. I love them both :)

message 26: by Sue (new)

Sue Forbes | 3 comments hi new to the group I read the first sookie book and was hooked then came the tv series, I think although they are based on the same story they can also stand alone as the tv series has took a different direction to the books what does anyone else think

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 4 comments I started watching the series first then started reading the books. I can't wait for the next book to come out. While I'm waiting I read a short story from the book Love Bites that fills in some blanks on the last book I read and I just ordered the Sookie Stackhouse Companion. The series and books vary a lot from each other, but both are very good. I think I like the direction the books have taken better though.

message 28: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly I read the first 7 books the week before the show debuted. I had never heard of them until I started seeing promotional ads & stories for the show & I thought the actors were stunning. I love the show, occasionally it gets bizarre but it comes back to where it needs to be.

message 29: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Babcock | 2 comments I watched the first episode of Trueblood and then stopped when I realized it was a book series since I usually try to read books first. Since then, I have read all of the books and have caught up on the series as well. I love the books and believe they are so much better.But the show is nice because of the cast. I just have to take a few breaths and stop comparing the two because they are really different.

message 30: by Darth J (new)

Darth J  (J___) Watched the first few episodes on HBO first, then grabbed the first book at Borders (R.I.P, anyone else remember that place?). After I read the first book, I went back and grabbed the next five and tore through them like potato chips.

message 31: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1 comments Well I found out about the show from my brother. He knows that i love romance and vampires. So i gave it a try. Loved the show and later I started to read the books. I fell in love with the story line from the books. I have them on my phone. So I can have them with me at all times. Love to reread them when I can.

message 32: by Alys (new)

Alys Baldwin | 1 comments I read the books first. I think if you read them first that the show is missing something. I like the show but to me they are two totally different things. The books will always be so much better. I did not like season 5 at all of the show and will watch 6 I just hope it is better. I can not wait for the last book to come out. I have enjoyed reading all of her books so far and do plan on reading the new series when it comes out next year,

message 33: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (MoonWillow83) | 4 comments I started with the show first. My brother had started watching season 2 because bright house was replaying the first few seasons getting ready for season 4. He called me in to watch an episode and I was leery at first but i ended up watching 3 episodes and was in love so i went home and downloaded the first 3 seasons and watched them in just a few days. I was hooked and Eric Northman aint to bad either lol. Basically Im obsessed with true blood so when I found 9 of the books in a thrift shop last month I bought them all. It took me from mid April 2013 to may 18 2013 to read all 13 books. Im sad the books are done but I cant wait for season 6 to start.

message 34: by Annie (new)

Annie (annielovesaudiobooks) | 8 comments Show first. Started with the second season (and went back to watch the first)...I only JUST started reading the books last year.

message 35: by Misty (last edited Aug 21, 2013 12:44AM) (new)

Misty Battle (mistymarieb) | 4 comments I watched the first two seasons before I got all the books. I didn't even know about True Blood until I seen it on demand for HBO. I was hooked then!

message 36: by 13bullets (new)

13bullets | 4 comments Well i started with book 9 without knowing it and after i notice it i began with reading book 1 and watching the show :D

message 37: by Ternessa (new)

Ternessa (BookLuvr457) | 1 comments I started reading the books first and later started to watch the TV show. I also think the books are better and the show got really silly after season 3 (IMO). I've just started back reading the books after a two year hiatus and the show made so many changes to the story it's still taking me time to get used to things.

message 38: by Delaney (new)

Delaney (delaney94) I watched the show first, and loved that so I thought I would give the books a try.
And since I did, I love the books way more than the show, even though I still love the show!
I did think that the books were getting a little slow at the end, but the beginning of the series was awesome! Also, the show is a little weird, and definitely not going with the books, which I wish it did a bit more...
Anyways, both are very good, and I'm sad that there won't be anymore books and that the last season is coming up...I won't have anymore 'sookeh' to look forward to anymore!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I saw the amazing/ original show first and then I got into the books.Oh, how I loved the way Bill says Sookie's name!
Just thinking about it makes me swoon. :) Happy I joined this group.

message 40: by Denise (new)

Denise Moore | 5 comments I watched all the shows to season 4 in 2 weeks and immediately read all the books in a week and half and have followed the show since that. I kinda wish I had watched the show first because I was so sad when Lafayette died in the book and it wouldn't have been so bad I I hadn't watched the show first.

message 41: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 2 comments I watched the television show first up through this last season and then began reading the books. I feel that watching the show first adds something extra to the literature. As I am reading the dialog portions I often hear the television characters voices :)

message 42: by Mendi (new)

Mendi Valenti | 1 comments I read the books first, liked the show at first but the books were the better of the two!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) I admit, I got into the show first. I've been a Skarsgard fan from dad to kids lol. Having met Alex through this show's premieres had been a dream.

message 44: by Nicolina (new)

Nicolina Weine | 3 comments I read ABOUT the tv show first so I decided to read the books in order to later watch the show. Season 1&2 However is the only ones that might be spoilerish but now I think the books and show are completely differente things but since I'm a book person I prefere the books where you get to know the "real" Sookie. But pls do stop reading by the 9th book bcs after that it just goes downhill with the storyline

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) I've stopped watching at season 4, stopped reading at book 5, I think.

message 46: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (Andie41) | 3 comments I binged on the first couple of seasons of TB then decided to start the books. I have seen through season 5 of the series and am close to finishing book 6. After about season 3 and book 3, they start to diverge a lot. I think you could do them in either order.

message 47: by Salina (new)

Salina I finished True Blood till Season 6, now I'm waiting for Season 7 (and I fell in love with the show!) And now, I'm starting the first book.

unread topics | mark unread