Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Where Were Your Grandparents Born?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 67) (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Do any of you know very much about your family's history? My grandfather was probably born in Michigan and my grandmother in northern Illinois. But I'm not really sure.
What about you?

message 2: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 1507 comments I am pretty sure both sets of grandparents were born in Ky but not sure exactly where, My brother and I have worked on getting some history together and set up a site but hard to get young ones interested in the old folks and history..

message 3: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Do you still live in KY?

message 4: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 1507 comments Hi Lyn, I live in Ga and have since the 60's but grew up in Ky - my brother that helped me with ancestry lives in Omaha Ne, we are a large family and live in many states but do have some still in Ky and try to go back often...

Harlequin Books (HarlequinBooks) | 31 comments My grandparents were all born in western NY. My great-grandparents on my father's side came over from Europe, Rhine Valley area. My mom's side of the family has been in the US for, I believe, 4 generations (all in NY). My husband's grandmother is a member of DAR on his mother's side and his father's side came from Europe, Poland, a couple of generations ago. They grew up in Pa. mainly. ~ Kim

message 6: by Carissa (new)

Carissa | 8 comments As far as I know both sets of my grandparents were born in Kentucky. Both sides of my family back to my great great great great grandparents were born in Kentucky. My family has lived in Kentucky since the civil war.

message 7: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 1507 comments Hi Carissa do you live there now and if so where, I have family in florence and also in Lawrenceburg Ky...

message 8: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 3894 comments I know Dads parents were born in Adelaide South Australia.
Mums Father and mother were both born near Horsham Victoria.
all in the 1800's.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 693 comments I am not sure where my mom's father was born. I think in the US. My mom's mom was born in Berlin Germany and I think my dad's parents were both born in Poland. So most of my family wasn't in the United States until the 1950's. In fact on my dad's side of the family I am the first one born in the US. Both my dad and his older brother were born in France.

message 10: by Carissa (new)

Carissa | 8 comments Paula-O wrote: "Hi Carissa do you live there now and if so where, I have family in florence and also in Lawrenceburg Ky..."

I still Live in Kentucky near Louisville

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1 comments What an interesting question, Lyn. I do know my parents birthplaces. My Grandmother, was born in San Francisco. I don't know about my grandfather except somewhere in the midwest, but my stepgrandfather was born in Poland and was an infant when his parent's immigrated to New York in the teens. I've read some interesting responses and look forward to some more!

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I believe both of mine were in Texas...5th or 6th generation Texan! :D

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Both of my paternal grandparents were born in South Africa (not sure where as they were born in 1902 and 1908) My father is a lot older than my mom (20 years) and he was born in Pretoria, South Africa.
My mom's dad was born here in Toronto, Canada to scottish immigrants and my mom's mother was born in Scotland then came here to Toronto in the 50's. Her dad and my dad were actually best friends.

message 14: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
Hahahahaha! I'm a recovering genealogist (not trying too hard to recover, actually). I know where my ancestors were born going back several generations - one branch back to Elizabethan times.

Three of my grandparents were born in Kent County, New Brunswick while my paternal grandmother was born in the mining community of River Hebert, Nova Scotia.

message 15: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "My grandparents were all born in western NY. My great-grandparents on my father's side came over from Europe, Rhine Valley area. My mom's side of the family has been in the US for, I believe, 4 gen..."

Yours sounds like the all-American family--from here there and everywhere!

message 16: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Carissa wrote: "As far as I know both sets of my grandparents were born in Kentucky. Both sides of my family back to my great great great great grandparents were born in Kentucky. My family has lived in Kentucky s..."

Interesting. Are you still in KY?

message 17: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Ausjenny wrote: "I know Dads parents were born in Adelaide South Australia.
all in the 1800's."

Did they immigrate from Great Britain?

message 18: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance wrote: "I am not sure where my mom's father was born. I think in the US. My mom's mom was born in Berlin Germany and I think my dad's parents were both born in Poland. So most of my family wasn't in the Un..."

So you were the first American by birth. Interesting.

message 19: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Kathy wrote: "What an interesting question, Lyn. I do know my parents birthplaces. My Grandmother, was born in San Francisco. I don't know about my grandfather except somewhere in the midwest, but my stepgrandfa..."

A grandmother born in San Fran. Did she stay there?

message 20: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Jennifer wrote: "I believe both of mine were in Texas...5th or 6th generation Texan! :D"

Obviously said with pride. I was born in El Paso myself, but grew up in IL.

message 21: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Kimberly wrote: "Both of my paternal grandparents were born in South Africa (not sure where as they were born in 1902 and 1908) My father is a lot older than my mom (20 years) and he was born in Pretoria, South Afr..."

Wow, this questions is bringing up a lot of interesting responses.

message 22: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Deborah wrote: "Hahahahaha! I'm a recovering genealogist (not trying too hard to recover, actually). I know where my ancestors were born going back several generations - one branch back to Elizabethan times.

Thr..."

Ah, so sorry to lead you back into temptation! My dh's family is half French Canadian & one cousin has done a lot of research in Quebec.

message 23: by Carissa (new)

Carissa | 8 comments Lyn wrote: "Carissa wrote: "As far as I know both sets of my grandparents were born in Kentucky. Both sides of my family back to my great great great great grandparents were born in Kentucky. My family has liv..."

yes

message 24: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 3894 comments Lyn wrote: "Ausjenny wrote: "I know Dads parents were born in Adelaide South Australia.
all in the 1800's."

Did they immigrate from Great Britain?"

Dads grand father was a merchant marine and his grand mother was Australian we think originally from England. She died at birth and his father was brought up by her family never seeing his own father again. They had been in Australia for quite awhile we think.
We think his mothers family came from england originally also.

On Mums side her fathers, father was born in Scotland to parents who fled the Potato famine, they only lived in Scotland a short time before coming to Australia. Her fathers Mother family came from england origninally, Same with her mothers mother's family. Her grandfathers family on her mothers side were German.

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Eberly (KathyEberly) | 136 comments My maternal grandparents were born in Wisconsin. My grandfather's grandpa was one of the founders of the town they lived in. My paternal grandparents I don't know much about.

message 26: by Jean (new)

Jean Gordon (goodreadscomJeanCGordon) | 11 comments My maternal grandmother was born in England. Her family come to Lewiston in WNY when she was five. My grandfather was born near Amsterdam, NY. His parents had come from Scotland. My paternal grandparents were born in what's now the Czech Republic, although my grandmother's family was Hungarian. At that time, the region was Austria-Hungary.

message 27: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 530 comments I happen to do a lot of genealogy so I know my family's ancestry back to about the 1100's! It's very exciting! That's on my Dad's side mostly and that's in England who eventually came to America through Mass. My Mom's side is all from Denmark and I haven't gotten that far back with them but I have gotten to about the 1700's. I love doing family history.

message 28: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 270 comments My maternal grandparents were born in Arkansas, close to Wild Cherry..and Little Rock.

I think my paternal grandparents were both born in Kansas, however I have ancestors from Germany.

message 29: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Lyn wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Both of my paternal grandparents were born in South Africa (not sure where as they were born in 1902 and 1908) My father is a lot older than my mom (20 years) and he was born in Pr..."

It is isn't it? I love discussions like this.

message 30: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Lyn wrote: "Ausjenny wrote: "I know Dads parents were born in Adelaide South Australia.
all in the 1800's."

Did they immigrate from Gr..."

Sounds similar to my family!

message 31: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Kathy wrote: "My maternal grandparents were born in Wisconsin. My grandfather's grandpa was one of the founders of the town they lived in. My paternal grandparents I don't know much about."

Kathy, I live in WI and right now I'm writing a LIH series set there post Civil War. What WI town were they born in?

message 32: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Jean wrote: "My maternal grandmother was born in England. Her family come to Lewiston in WNY when she was five. My grandfather was born near Amsterdam, NY. His parents had come from Scotland. My paternal grandp..."

Sounds like the all-American family-from here there and everywhere!

message 33: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Valri wrote: "I happen to do a lot of genealogy so I know my family's ancestry back to about the 1100's! It's very exciting! That's on my Dad's side mostly and that's in England who eventually came to America ..."

I applaud you, Valri. I wish I had the time. But for some reason, my editor wants me to meet my deadline. :-)

message 34: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Melissa wrote: "My maternal grandparents were born in Arkansas, close to Wild Cherry..and Little Rock.

I think my paternal grandparents were both born in Kansas, however I have ancestors from Germany."

Melissa, how many generations did they live in AR?

message 35: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 10 comments Wow, how interesting! I used to work on my family's genealogy, but got stuck and got busy and now that I'm in California I don't have easy access to the same records. I don't trust the internet mostly because I can look up a known (I have courthouse records and census records in hand) and get a "does not exist".

Anyway, both sets of grandparents were born in KY, going to greats, all were born in TN. I would love to hear the story, but one great grandfather moved from TN to KY during, what we call in the South, Occupation (Reconstruction), why KY I don't know, but I think it's interesting both sides of the family ended up in close to the same spot like they did. The next generation back was from TN all around. My mom's side they started out in Virginia in the late 1600's on one side. My dad's family started out in SC and GA. I had everyone back that far anyway, to the Revolution and some further back. My mom's parents moved to Detroit and actually met there when they were young, just after WWI, so my mom was born there. My dad's parents remained in KY until grandaddy moved the family to Detroit during the Depression. He'd actually gone looking for work and worked for the WPA, but grandmommy couldn't stand to be apart so she moved the six kids up there to be with him.

My mom's family is from Germany on one side and England on the other before they came to Virginia. My dad's family is Scottish on all sides before moving to SC and GA.

message 36: by Melody (last edited May 21, 2012 06:22PM) (new)

Melody | 2156 comments I know my family history very well- on my Mother's paternal side anyway! :) My church is big into family history and keeping records so we know a lot about our ancestors, which I find utterly and completely fascinating! I come from an awesome line of great courageous people I am so proud of! I can name back to my sixth great grandpa (who was born in New Jersey) off the top of my head! :) My third great grandpa was born in New York, and he was part of the very first pioneers who came to settle Utah back in 1847, so every grandpa since had been born and raised here. On my Mom's maternal side I know they were also early settlers of Utah, so I come from lots of Utahns. :)

Way back they were originally from England and Scotland!

message 37: by Patty (new)

Patty Smith | 171 comments I've been researching my family history for the last year or so--got caught up in that TV show, 'Who do you think you are?'

I'm seventh generation Georgian dating back to the early 1700's. One side of my mother's family traveled through the Carolinas from Virginia after arriving in the 1640's while one side of my father's family arrived in the 1630's.

But the most interesting tidbit I've discovered is that one of my grandfathers worked with Tyndale in translating the Bible--in fact, he and his daughter died on the same day, though due to a sickness like the Black Plague or because of their beliefs, I don't know.

message 38: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 530 comments So very interesting, all of you! It's so fascinating to learn about everyone and where you came from. Like Melody, many of my ancestors settled Utah also! Before that though, some of them came from Massachusetts but mostly came from England and Denmark.

message 39: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Patty wrote: "I've been researching my family history for the last year or so--got caught up in that TV show, 'Who do you think you are?'

I'm seventh generation Georgian dating back to the early 1700's. One si..."

Very interesting, Patty. This is why I love history. It's all about people.

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Patty wrote: "I've been researching my family history for the last year or so--got caught up in that TV show, 'Who do you think you are?'

I'm seventh generation Georgian dating back to the early 1700's. One si..."

That's cool. I know that we came from Kerry County Ireland and supposedly had a town that we founded over there, but have no clue how my ancestors got to the states. Something I really want to find out.

message 41: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Marsland | 3 comments My father's parents and my mother's mother were all born here in Nova Scotia, but my mother's father, Fred Marsland, was born in Brisbane, Australia in 1907. He was quite a world traveler and also a writer - he had adventure stories published in the Toronto newspapers. I wish I had met him, but he died in a flying accident in the 1930s.

message 42: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Eberly (KathyEberly) | 136 comments Lyn, in answer to your question, my grandfather was born in the town of Freemont and my Grandmother was born in Exeland township. I think that's what they said. Not sure.

message 43: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Jennie wrote: "My father's parents and my mother's mother were all born here in Nova Scotia, but my mother's father, Fred Marsland, was born in Brisbane, Australia in 1907. He was quite a world traveler and also ..."

Brisbane to Nova Scotia--that is a world traveler!

message 44: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Kathy wrote: "Lyn, in answer to your question, my grandfather was born in the town of Freemont and my Grandmother was born in Exeland township. I think that's what they said. Not sure."

Well, I don't recognize either town. I've only lived in WI for 9 years and there are lots of little towns. Big state.

message 45: by Susan F (new)

Susan F | 146 comments My maternal grandparents were born in Canada as far as I know. I should double check with Mom about it. My Paternal grandfather was born in New Brunswick, Canada and gram in a tiny town in northern Maine in 1900. My paternal grandfather's life was really hard.

message 46: by Anne (new)

Anne (Spartandax) I was adopted, so finding out about my birth parents was difficult. I met my birth mother in 2002 when I was 61. She died a couple of years later. All she could give my was my birth father's name and I have been unsuccessful in finding anything out about him. So last year I had my DNA analyzed. Boy am I a melting pot. I know on my mother's side I am Swiss and Italian. But I also found ancestors from:Scotland(I LOVE Scotland) Ireland, England, Wales, France, Germany, Prussia, Greece, Romania and possibly Russia.
I wish i could find more but until they refine the DNA testing, this is about all I can know.

message 47: by Susan F (last edited May 23, 2012 05:35PM) (new)

Susan F | 146 comments Anne, you are a melting pot of wonderful people/places. :) DNA testing must be fascinating. I'm sorry you couldn't find out about your birth father. Perhaps God felt that you didn't really need to know. You'll always know that God is your father though.

message 48: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Lyn wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Both of my paternal grandparents were born in South Africa (not sure where as they were born in 1902 and 1908) My father is a lot older than my mom (20 years) and he was born in Pr..."

I'm loving the answers people are sharing!

message 49: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1229 comments Our son's DNA was tested on FamilyTreeDNA I think.
Very interesting.

message 50: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Bolen | 74 comments Jennie wrote: "My father's parents and my mother's mother were all born here in Nova Scotia, but my mother's father, Fred Marsland, was born in Brisbane, Australia in 1907. He was quite a world traveler and also ..."

Can you belive a Texas girl like me has roots in Nova Scotia? My father was born there in 1920. They soon migrated to New York, then during the Depression made it to California, where I was born. His parents were born in New Foundland. Do you have relatives with connections to New Foundland?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread